Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Offshoot discussion of "what religion are you" thread

Since zavron, the thread starter, requested no arguments, and some of us were starting to post some lengthy discussions/arguments, I decided to start this thread to
  • *(1)honor zavron's request, and
    *(2) provide a forum to continue the discussion (if those involved wish to).
    *(3) **EDIT 6/6/03** to provide a place to discuss religious questions in general, since the original debate is now over
I'll repost my first post of that thread:

RÃ*an's first post on the 'what religion are you' thread:

Quote:
What religeon are you? What Race are you? where did your family originate?
I'm a Christian, and my background (what I know of it) is English, Irish and Scottish. I'm descended from Robert the Bruce of Scotland, who, BTW, was grossly misrepresented in the movie Braveheart (Scottish historical societies are up in arms about the movie, which got several important and well-known facts about him wrong!)

The Douglas Adams quote makes sense if you believe that there is no absolute truth; that one may pick a religion (or atheism, for that matter, which is also a belief system) according to taste, like clothing in a store to try on for a bit and change according to mood. If, however, you believe that absolute truth DOES exist, which is a position that makes a lot of sense (for example, many tenets in different religions are conflicting; how can they BOTH be correct?) then it makes sense to be "serious" about a religion that you believe contains the truth. I believe that Christianity is the correct statement of how things really are, so I suppose you could say I'm "serious" about it.

However, if you mean "serious" as just grumpy and frowning, I think it's unfortunate that some "religious" people are that way. There's plenty of joy and beauty and fun in Christianity, however, so I, personally, am not walking around totally serious all day or anything like that and I think it is wrong to do so (in fact, in the Bible, we are told to rejoice and be thankful and we have plenty of good reasons to do both!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 06-08-2003 at 12:45 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote