Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2004, 12:17 AM   #21
Telcontar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Jersey Devil - You just figuring this out now?
C'mon give credit where it's due. I think you're just keeping your harsh stance because you've played up this harshly critiquing character so long, you'd feel you can't back down now or look like a fool. It's okay to just say, ok, I didn't like the movies, but hey, maybe they might be okay if they've been nominated to prestigious awards. It might not be the best movie ever, but it still will go down as one of the most epic ever, alongside Braveheart, Spartacus, Ten Commandments, Gladiator, and a few others. It might not be a drama like Cold Mountain, or Beautiful Mind, etc., but it is an epic drama. That still counts as being in the drama category and not in any other.

Anyway, I like that PJ's first comment was his recognition of "Professor" Tolkien, not just Mr. Tolkien. I think that was a well put title to enlighten people that he wasn't just some cooky author that made a fantasy book. Plus, this whole experience (movies, etc) has shown the world and sparked an interest to read not only his LOTR collection, but the other works as well.
If that is the best thing that these movies did, then so be it cause I think despite the differences it still brings honor to a great author.

You can respond and belittle me with banter, but I won't need to. I am also trying not to change any of your minds with MY opinion.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #22
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Congrats to Howard Shore and Annie Lennox.
Lennox has a truly amazing voice and I've loved her music since Eurythmics day - maybe more nippers will explore her music now

As for Howard Shore, he's the one man I have nothing but respect for left out of the whole LotR production peeps. His 'vision' alone remains true to the LotR myth, and I can't listen to the music but fail to be transported to imaginary visions of Middle Earth (or the occasional film vision where PJ IMO actually got it right).

Now possibly this is because he's in the fortunate position of not having any precedent. For visuals, Tolkien did the odd illustration, but more importantly he's a fantastic descriptionist (if there be such a word), which means much of the work for PJ was already done. This was not true for music of course, so it's impossible to compare the music to any that Tolkien imagined.

But, the music is perfect most of the time (just a few crap bits, but they are mostly unique bits, like the theme for Shelob, obviously horror was the angle PJ was going for, but fortunately it doesn't affect either the previous or next track), and indeed if Tolkien himself were alive today, I honestly think it's the one part of the whole film shenanigans he'd pay attention too with delight and wonder, as if discovering a new side to the history he created - that of another observer in another place.

I'm trying to suss out the order of preference for the soundtracks, but realised when TTT came out that was my fave, and now RotK is out that's my fave, so it's probably more to immediate memory of the film / context than actual quality of track.

So, basically, I'm just going to burn them all to a CD and stick random on and enjoy them!

If PJ had done half as good a job with the story as Shore did with the music, we wouldn't be arguing about 'best director / adaptation / picture' etc.

Last edited by Gerbil : 01-28-2004 at 06:41 PM.
Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #23
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
You just figuring this out now?

no you just hate them with a passion, i didnt think this much
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #24
Victoria
Sapling

award or no award...

award or no award for Peter Jackson and the movie....we all know that the Trilogy was movie history in the making...that's wht we're all so enamored with the movies....the movies and PJ as well as the cast and crew are all winners in their own right for having gone through so much just to make this movie successful....
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:54 AM   #25
Telcontar
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria award or no award for Peter Jackson and the movie....we all know that the Trilogy was movie history in the making...that's wht we're all so enamored with the movies....the movies and PJ as well as the cast and crew are all winners in their own right for having gone through so much just to make this movie successful....
Very good point Victoria. I couldn't have said it better myself.

But one more thing, this wouldn't be at all possible without the man, the myth, the legend, JRR Tolkien.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #26
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
the movies and PJ as well as the cast and crew are all winners in their own right for having gone through so much just to make this movie successful....
That's a bit sweeping. It's quite clear you are a fan, and as such have moved from the 'it's great because XYZ' to 'it's great because it exists'.
This isn't exactly objective, and certainly won't count for much come awards time.
I must admit, I think PJ is a winner - he's won tons of money churning out dumbed down storylines and rubbish characterisation with lovely visuals, and convinced us to go see it.
I often found it funny that they said they weren't doing a film for the fans - I think the exact quote was 'it's not a film for the fans, but it's made by fans'. Which is possibly the biggest lie since Clinton said he'd never touched a certain Ms Lewinski
He's not a great achiever - give any director / crew 300 million and 3 years, and they'll all happily go off and create something decent (given the sheer strength of the source material that even PJ couldn't destroy).
The winners, if there are any, are New Line.
I certainly wouldn't consider myself a winner - I've invested large amounts of time and money in this story, that started strong with FotR and went downhill from there. Sure the fights are cool, and I'm a sucker for them - but storywise the films are unecessary oversimplification, but with the additional baggage of PJ and Co's screenplay writing egos determined to stamp their own mark on it.
Great films, but they certainly don't embody the story or many of the themes of the book, which should have been EXACTLY what they tried to capture.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:26 PM   #27
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Congrats to Howard Shore and Annie Lennox. They deserved it.

Wasn't Into the West a beautiful song?

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote