Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2000, 05:28 PM   #21
Tai daishar

Re: The Wheel of Time

Yeah, Winter's Heart is supposed to be coming out in a couple weeks. I think I'll go down to the book store today and order a copy.
Old 10-26-2000, 03:26 AM   #22
Gez1

I can't wait till the newest book comes out in November! This is one of the best long running series that I have read. I admit to being addicted to long running stories, but this has such great character and story lines that the plot does not only "thicken" but continues to keep the reader involved. Tolkien is Such a Classic that I do not want to compare, however it's good to know that some modern writers still have that sense of "story" telling. To be able to keep us panting for the rest of the story in this day and age of "short attention span" life is a tribute to any writer.
Old 10-26-2000, 07:35 PM   #23
Elbreth of Carhouth

Wow, I can see why you guys like WOT so much. Robert Jordan is a very good writer. You can see the character's change as you read... Very unique trait.
I'm waiting rather impatiently for books 2 and 3, they just got them in at the library, and are not yet on the shelves.

I heard that the new book is already out, one of my friends already has a copy. We live in Canada, so depending on where you live it might not be out yet.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:08 PM   #24
Tai daishar

Well, I just finished Winter's Heart. My reaction: "Yes, now we're getting somewhere! Now I want book 10!!"
Old 11-18-2000, 06:14 AM   #25
Gez1

I just got the latest addition to WOT, and won't begin it till I re-read the last one. Just to keep the "story" straight. I LOVE the ongoing saga, but hate having to wait a year to get on to the next phase. Although if Jorden whipped them out every few months, I'm sure that this story would suffer.
If you haven't read any of this saga yet, Do start from the beginning. It's not the type of story that can be "picked up" in the middle.
Old 11-18-2000, 03:53 PM   #26
X Rogue

Tell me about it!! I'm working on it too. Jury's still out. Trying to have patience since I am on # 4 in the middle of a big ol' story slowdown. Sigh.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:38 PM   #27
Elentir

Yes, I was glad I re-read the first eight books this summer in advance prep for Winter's Heart. WoT has more minor characters than a Tolstoy novel; even after the re-read, I had to visit a few websites to find out who some people were. 'course, the major characters are well-written enough that makes it all worth it.
Old 11-21-2000, 03:42 AM   #28
Tai daishar

I read PoD when it came out, and didn't read it again before reading WH, but I knew just about all of the returning characters, even the minor ones.
Old 11-21-2000, 03:24 PM   #29
GlaurungTheGold

heh nice name
although we all know that Bela is the Creator of course

*toasts WH with a glass of taint* here's for the at-least-3-more-books!
Old 11-21-2000, 11:22 PM   #30
Tai daishar

I'll have a glass of taint, for we won't be seeing much of that later.
Old 01-31-2001, 08:23 PM   #31
Lief Erikson

After hearing how many people compare them with Tolkien's work, I decided to check them out too. I am currently a fourth of the way through the second book, (My local library doesn't have the first) and am enjoying it. Because of not reading the first one, it's been a little bit difficult to figure out who the different characters are, and what's going on. However, because of my Science fiction and Fantasy writing that's been going on, plus the weird names that are used in a lot of our games, I have caught on quite quickly, and understand most of what's happening.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:40 AM   #32
Tai daishar

***This synopsis is only for Lief Erikson, and those who want to know what happened in the first book as well as I can remember it.***

Let's see, in the first book, they introduce Mat, Rand, Perrin, Nyavene, and Egwene. Mat, Rand, and Perrin are all about the same age, grew up in the same town, etc. Egwene is Rand's sweetheart. Nyavene is about 5 years older than the others. She takes it upon herself to be a real pain in the neck and tries to go around telling everyone what to do. Moirane and Lan come into their small town, and a few days later, Trollocs (bad monsters) attack. Moirane tell the bows that the Trollocs will keep coming back unless the boys run off with her and her Warder. So, they leave, but Egwene wouldn't let Rand leave without her, and Nyavene decides that the kids can't take care of themselves, so she tracks them down. They go traveling, and eventually, Moirane tell Rand he's the Dragon Reborn, and must defeat the evil that plagues the land. So, they travel to this really bad place, where they find a pool of saidin, that Rand has to use to defeat Ba'alzamon, who is thought to be the Dark Lord himself, but turns out to be just one of the Forsaken. So, Rand must continue on with his life, to eventually deafeat evil.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:48 AM   #33
Lief Erikson

Thanks for the synopsis!
Old 02-01-2001, 03:41 AM   #34
Tai daishar

No prob. That was pretty much just the begining and the end. They did some stuff in the middle, but I'm not sure what exactly. I mean I'm not sure if the stuff I'm thinking of happened in book one, or in another book, so I kinda hesitate to mention it.
Old 02-02-2001, 03:25 PM   #35
Lief Erikson

Yeah, I know what you mean. I sometimes have that problem too, especially if there are several books in the series. If there are only three or so, I can usually remember. In The Wheel of Time, the Great Hunt has begun, and their finding all sorts of dead bodies left behind by the Trollocs. I'm finding the Wheel of Time books to be quite gripping, even though they're very different from a lot of my favorite books. It's going to be interesting to see how this proceeds.
Old 02-21-2001, 05:41 AM   #36
Lief Erikson

Well, I've got a problem. My local library has books one through five, and I'm working on four. After that, book eight is the next one that is there, so I'll have missed a massive section of stuff that happens in between!

However, I don't want to know what happens in that space of time. I suppose I'll just have to buy them.

I think that one of the main things that separates The Wheel of Time from all the other fantasy books I've read, is its time period. Most books deal with an adventure around the mid-point of their world. The dark one is beaten, and that's that. But with this one, it has the prophesies. It is kind of an ending times book series, dealing with the last time before the end. The adventure has massive amounts of new cultures, characters, places, people and objects. But the time frame and placing is totally original, not like any other book of that kind that I've read.

They are the kind of book that I like to read one time, but after that, I'm ready for the next one. Not the type of book I'd like to own, but certainly the kind that I'd like to read.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:56 AM   #37
Tai daishar

I like to own all books. I don't know what it is, I just like having books.
Old 03-09-2001, 12:25 AM   #38
GlaurungTheGold

me too horsey-person, but i found out that it's not that feasible once you go to college... i had to ship home most of the books i had brought with me, only keeping WoT, HGTTG, and LotR
Old 03-09-2001, 04:02 AM   #39
Gez1

:lol: Tai daishar I know what you mean. I have to own it! I have a spare room in my house that is loaded with boxes and boxes of books. Books from when I was a kid in Grade School, High School and on and on... But those are just my favorites, Heh Heh. Since I can't bring myself to throw any out I will usually donate the ones I know I won't read again to my local Library, or give to a friend, or even Yard Sale 'em Maybe I should open up a used book store?
Old 03-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #40
Miralys

I also like to own the books I like. I am a frequent customer at Barnes and Noble. And if I should buy something I didn't enjoy I take it to the used book store and trade it in.