Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #21
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I wouldn't immediately advice to avoid the Bestiary by David Day altogether. In effect all books not written by Tolkien himself have to be read with some caution, for while only Tolkien knew his own mind and stories best, as is said even he made mistakes in remembering the vast tales and details. And so perhaps the Bestiary's main point of interest should not be the correct detail of the text, but rather the art in it.

The Bestiary was my very first encounter with Tolkien's work and filled me much with wonder, both by art and text. Even while it wasn't until many years afterwards that I read the Hobbit and LoTR that I made the connextion about which world the Bestiary was, it still holds a special place for me. It even inspired me and served as a reference for my graduation piece about dragons in saterday art school.

True, much of my argument is sentimental but I wouldn't let the number of filled gaps determine the worth of the book. For it still holds a lot of information and it did have the first complete map of Arda I ever saw (regardless of the wrong shape of Númenor in it.)

I would certainly recommend The Atlas to Middle Earth by Karen Fonstad, which is a gorgeous book. I haven't encountered any errors yet, but I haven't inspected the book to such a degree. In any case, it does provide lovely visuals (yes, art, here I go again) to places, battles and whatnot.

Well, if you must look at Day, look only at the pictures!!!!!!! But if you're going to do that, frankly even there I think Day have been surpassed by Hammaond and Scull's Tolkien art book, Fonstad, and a number of artists who have taken on Tolkien subjects. But I know what you mean, I still have a fondness for the Hildebrands' Tolkien works, but I know a lot of people who roundly criticize them (and they did get a lot of details wrong).
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
thanks for the pm ... me damn box is full again ..otherwise i'd reply!
You're just so popular BB!

Quote:
Sure, send me a copy .... there's been talk of a mini series on Tolkien for ages anyway ... which is your best side?
Bottom side.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #23
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

peachy eh?

nah ... mainly hate mail ...

(last one was dear ol' GOR tellin me to spend less time on de moot ... although to be fair, you'd have to know the context ... it wasn't actually ill meant, god love dear ol' GOR )

i just wish i had more time to read!

ok - so farmer giles of Ham ... any take on the reversal of the rights of man and the rights of lineage in that one?

best, BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:39 PM   #24
Gil-Galad 2.0
Hobbit

Hey, Forkbeard what is the title of the Hammaond and Scrulls Tolkien art book.
Gil-Galad 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #25
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

By the way, the Smith book you mentioned in the first post (Weapons and Warfare of Middle-Earth) is definitely not Tolkien canon. They took the movies and drew a lot of assumptions from them. However, the book is a very interesting read, so read it with that one caveat in mind.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #26
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad 2.0
Hey, Forkbeard what is the title of the Hammaond and Scrulls Tolkien art book.
I had to look it up because I couldn't remember, a moment of neural flatuence no doubt. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator