Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2000, 09:56 PM   #21
Eruve

I hate to say this, but I'm not sure the proper kind of gravy is available anywhere but in Quebec. I never heard of hot chicken until I came here... We lived in Nova Scotia for two years and I had to buy a lot of St. Hubert hot chicken sauce packets in Quebec to take back to Nova Scotia. They just didn't have the right gravy there!

Anyone who wants to try this delicacy will just have to come visit. While you're here you can sample some of our other culinary delights: Michigan hot dogs, smoked meat, hot chicken, St. Hubert chicken, Mikes submarines...

Old 08-17-2000, 10:20 PM   #22
Shanamir Duntak

Smoked meat ain't another local meat? I hope not! It's almost as good as poutine!

But I still say BBQ gravy would be the best for the home-made poutine

Old 08-17-2000, 10:43 PM   #23
Gilthalion

Ah well!

If we are to discuss other culinary pleasures...

(the little Hobbit's eyes brighten)

...down here we have never heard of Hot Chicken Sauce.

And what we cook at HOME, in our snug little holes, is ususally FAR SUPERIOR to most restaurant fare!

Oh, I could tell you fantastic tales of our adventures in the kitchen! The Mrs. and I, we truly enjoy the work of our own hands, I must say. And I do say!

We make the finest spaghetti sauce in all the Shire and the Outlands! Our butcher provides us with the choicest cuts of prime meats, which we marinate and season and grill until all the juices are exuding an aroma that absolutely drives the neighbors green as the water oaks with envy! We use fresh herbs and creams to make the most wonderful sauces for savory rice and fine pastas. Our gardens grow the most delicious tomatoes and beans and peas and sweet corn! Oh! and don't get me started on the collard greens and mustard greens and early spinach! And here by the sea we get flounder and shrimp and red snapper and oysters! The best in the world! Farm fresh bacon and brown country chicken eggs! And may I say that we also have the finest boiled mudbugs (crawfish), jambalaya, gumbo, and Cajun Hobbit cuisine anywhere!

Tonight, Hamburgers! I have just put them on the grill! The Mrs. made the patties with our own butcher's blend of hamburger and all the spices we add ourselves. She made these pretty big, I'm afraid. Why, they must be 3/4" (2 cm) thick! They'll be much too big for the buns (this hamburger doesn't shrink up). Well, we'll make do.

I just turned them! Oh you should see the little beauties! We have a cast iron grill (much like a hibachi only sturdier) and it leaves the finest marks on the meat where the sugars caramelize and give you that fine grilled flavor. The hickory chips will infuse the burgers with a fine smokey flavor that will mingle well with the onion, garlic, pepper, and other tastes blended into the delicious meats.

The Mrs. is cutting up a vine ripened tomato and will be expecting me off this thing shortly, so I mustn't linger until she's cross.

If I could stay, I'd tell you about BREAKFAST in the South Farthing of the Shire! Grits and farm eggs and thick country bacon and ham and sausage patties and links and strawberries and grapefruit and honeydew mellons and homemade blackberry jam...

That's the Mrs. now! Got to go!

Old 08-17-2000, 11:06 PM   #24
Bullroarer

[Mr. Lunt voice]You're making me hungly![/Mr. Lunt]

Old 08-17-2000, 11:17 PM   #25
The One Ring

Never heard of poutine, but I'd certainly try it if given the oppoutinity.

Old 08-18-2000, 12:45 AM   #26
Shanamir Duntak

:lol:

Seriously, i told you how to do it by yourself... tomorrow, tell everybody in the house you're cooking and impress them!

Old 08-18-2000, 01:35 AM   #27
Darth Tater

What is the sauce? Can you explain it? I'm good at immitating foods

Old 08-18-2000, 03:10 AM   #28
juntel

As Eruve said, the cheese to be used it curd cheddar (not cheddar cut in cubes, Shanamir!).
For the sauce, well, BBQ sauce would be ok, or HotChicken sauce. I find that the less salty sauce are better (today commercial sauces are too salty; the "low-salt" ones not enough; so get "low-salt" sauce, and add salt as you like!).
But as I said, the better poutines are those with special sauces that are custom home made by ingenuous people; maybe it's just a mix of lots of different canned brown sauces, or maybe sometimes its real brown sauces made from scratch from bones etc... ie the old way brown sauces were made. You try to make your own.
And as Shanamir said, pour it *hot* on the fries/cheese. And let the cheese to melt a bit, and soak the fries somewhat.

Oh, and Eruve, you forgot about St-Viateur street's bagels! They come all the way from New-York to buy these bagels!

Old 08-18-2000, 11:46 AM   #29
Eruve

Yeah, I forgot the bagels. Montreal bagels are unlike any other bagels elsewhere. I also forgot souvlaki on pita: wonderful Greek take-out! And how we eat French fries along with pizza... And putting whipping cream (unwhipped) on pie, and all the stuff you get when you go sugaring off...

And yes, Shanamir, smoked meat sandwiches as we have them here, the really big, thick ones, are unique. Smoked meat exists elsewhere, it's usually called pastrami, but I never saw the sandwiches like you get at Schwartz' anywhere else.

Old 08-18-2000, 03:29 PM   #30
juntel

Or at "The Main" on the main...

Old 08-18-2000, 03:48 PM   #31
captain Tarpols

I don't know what you people are talking about. SMOKED MEAT IS VILE!!! GROSS, YUCKY, ETC Our family tried it in Canada (yes including bmilder) and we hated it! If you say that Poutine is almost as good as smoked meat then poutine must be pretty awfull Pastrami is not smoked meat...

Old 08-18-2000, 04:10 PM   #32
Eruve

Where, specifically, did you try smoked meat? You have to know where to go. In Montreal, the best place is Schwartz. And according to my ex-sister-in-law's father who was a Jewish butcher, smoked meat is pastrami.

Old 08-18-2000, 07:55 PM   #33
captain Tarpols

no its not! and we tried it at some plave called Ben's deli or somehting...

Old 08-18-2000, 08:53 PM   #34
Shanamir Duntak

Juntel! I know it's curd cheddar, but it co$t here... just imagine elsewhere where dairy product cost more! So I gave a cheap alternative. Anyway, those who had read the thread from the beginning knew it was curd cheese as you said in your first(?) reply.

And, In my opinion, BBQ sauce is the best! This evening I'm gonna eat a big Ashton's poutine with BBq sauce.... hummm... if you want, I can fax you a frie And NOTHING beats my father's smoke meat. 2"!!!!!! Yes, 2 inches thick, but costly in meat

Old 08-21-2000, 05:09 AM   #35
Johnny Lurker

I must admit that I've never tried it.

Perhaps someday...

"But until then, I'll say this"

Cheese (cheddar.ca, of course) and "gravy" do very well as a fry compliment. In large quantities.

Old 08-21-2000, 07:29 PM   #36
Darth Tater

Yes, cheese fries are found mostly in New Jersey. Basically, they're fries with melted velvita on them

I shall have to find some curd cheddar, but the explanation of the sauce is still not good enough to understand. Are you saying a chicken gravy?

Old 08-21-2000, 10:47 PM   #37
Eruve

Try brown gravy. The chicken gravy mentioned is brown: it's meant to be eaten on a hot chicken sandwich, which is (ironically enough) made with cold chicken between two slices of bread with the brown gravy poured over top. Then you put peas on top of that and eat it with French fries. Kind of a Quebec version of SOS... Actually, you can buy the gravy in deydrated form, where you add water and heat till boiling (stir constantly). Tell you what, Tater, <a href=mailto:elyse1999@my-deja.com>email me</a> a mailing address for you, and I'll send you a packet of sauce mix!

Old 08-22-2000, 02:30 AM   #38
Shanamir Duntak

Ok... summary: anything brown, liquid, salted, and that you CAN eat -And would eat- (no, I'm not talking about disgusting things you do in the bathroom after too much beers ) will do.

I think I'll scan you one packet

Old 08-22-2000, 11:26 AM   #39
Gilthalion

Tomatoe Gravy on Hot Buttered Biscuits!

Old 08-22-2000, 08:03 PM   #40
Darth Tater

i've actually made that before minus the cheese curds