Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #21
Mari
Elf Lady

Though it is true that you don't know what future a few cells might have had if you had decided to let it grow to its full potential, you cannot automatically assume it's a good one or that everything is better then death.
Also, if giving children up for adoption is such a good thing, then why are there so many children in orphanages who can't get adopted?
We have the possibilities for abortion in a safe manner, not like in the old days when women would drink poisonous herbal drinks or beat the belly as long as it took for a miscarriage to happen (yes, that is how they "performed" abortion back then and yes, abortion was not that uncommon).
Abortion has always been there. And people have always condemned the woman for doing it. Don't you think that is something between her and her Maker?
Let's look at it from a religious point of view (like we haven't done that before ): God gives life and He takes it. Let's assume that indeed those few cells do have a soul from the moment of conception. Would God punish the soul for being aborted? Or would He send it back to receive the gift of Life? Would there be any 'negative' consequences for the soul? I don't see why.
Then there is the woman who had the abortion. God may decide to punish her for it. But then again He may not. It's up to Him. He knows what's best and fitting, right?
So why are all these people protesting against women having an abortion? The soul of the future child doesn't need to be saved and the soul of the woman is not for us to judge.
Honestly, I don't see why people want to try and make the decision for others or in some cases why they would try and take over Judgment from God.
Rather, help this woman who is in a difficult enough position as it is. Do not judge and be there for her after she had the abortion when she needs it the most. The decision is hers, but living with it, that is where you can help her. And if helping this "fallen person" "tarnishes your soul", who cares? At least you'll have done what you thought was right.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #22
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Though it is true that you don't know what future a few cells might have had if you had decided to let it grow to its full potential, you cannot automatically assume it's a good one or that everything is better then death.
But, of course, as we have all seen infallibly demonstrated on the last page, you CAN automatically assume that its future will be something worse than death.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
Mari
Elf Lady

Well no of course not. It guess without saying that something good may come of it. However in abortion-debates some people tend to glorify being born no matter what the circumstances and completely ignore the fact that there is a whole period to come after being born and that a child might not get a very good start if it's a) unwanted and b) often in difficult circumstances (teenage mothers, that sort of thing)
I just wanted to point out that though we don't know what will happen with the child in the future, it is not right to assume that all will be well, just because it was born.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #24
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well no of course not. It guess without saying that something good may come of it. However in abortion-debates some people tend to glorify being born no matter what the circumstances and completely ignore the fact that there is a whole period to come after being born and that a child might not get a very good start if it's a) unwanted and b) often in difficult circumstances (teenage mothers, that sort of thing)
In neither the case Curufin brought up nor the case BeardofPants brought up did the abused person commit suicide. They preferred a miserable life to death. If we decide to make the decision for them and kill them, that's murder.
Quote:
I just wanted to point out that though we don't know what will happen with the child in the future, it is not right to assume that all will be well, just because it was born.
While it's not right to assume things will be well for the child, abortion performed on this justification assumes the child will have a life that the child would feel is worse than death (for if the parent feels that way and the child disagrees, the parent's view is automatically trumped). The assumptions made in justifying abortion this way are GIGANTIC.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I agree. But the woman is a person, and the cell cluster is only the potential for a person.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #26
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
I'm afraid that doesn't fly. How is it OK to kill an innocent person just because they were the result of rape? It wasn't their fault.
That's what I think. I can understand the woman's misery better if the child has been forced on her through rape, and she truly deserves a great deal of sympathy. A lot more than the woman who has sex of her own choice, with the knowledge that a child might be the result. But in neither case is abortion justified. In both, it is killing an innocent.
Quote:
My point being that, judging by their behaviour, most of the anti-choice lobby doesn't really believe that an unborn child and a born child are the same thing, in spite of what they say.
I am extremely disappointed by the fact that pro-life advocates of my acquaintance are willing to accept abortion under certain circumstances. But they do believe that the child in the womb is as much a person as the one outside. They allow their beliefs on what we should therefore do about it to be colored to some extent by the environment that surrounds them.

It's tragic, as far as I'm concerned, and indicates that the pro-choice advocates may well be winning at impacting the psychology of the country.

On the other hand, one of the weird things to me is how many pro-choice advocates that I've met ARE actually aware that the child inside the womb is as much a person on all counts that matter as one outside of it.

1) I've heard abortion advocated on the grounds of moral relativism, by one person. He said that all belief systems about what's right are relative, so who's to say the destruction of a child is wrong? That was his argument.

2) I heard another argue that people don't really know a child inside the womb, so it can be killed because its death won't make anyone grieve.

3) I've heard another argue that it's physically part of the mother and therefore, even though its brain isn't that much different from that of a born child and even though it is clearly a living human, it can be killed because of the physical connection it has to the mother. That physical connection, to her, means that it's not a person in its own right.

Those three pro-choice people all did believe that the same basic things about a child that pro-life people do, but tried to justify killing it anyway by these methods. So while you may be right about pro-life people sometimes failing to advocate the same dignity for children inside the womb as exists for those outside, I've seen pro-choice people also several times whose words show that they hold to the same basic scientific facts that pro-life people hold to, but justify killing anyway.

The argument that the fetus can be killed because it might have a bad future is just as weak as the above numbered arguments, by the way. You wouldn't even advocate killing most adults who are living bad lives such as those you fear fetuses might have. So ultimately, this argument collapses into this one:

That fetuses are sufficiently psychologically different from infants that have been born that they don't deserve the same rights. This, troublesomely, is an arbitrary judgment. There is no break-off point at which a fetus instantly changes from a blob of cells into a full-fledged little 1-week from birth person. The changes are all fluid and gradual, and enormous development of the brain occurs in the first weeks following conception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychology Today, Janet L. Hopkins
Behaviorally speaking, there's little difference between a newborn baby and a 32-week-old fetus. A new wave of research suggests that the fetus can feel, dream, even enjoy The Cat in the Hat. The abortion debate may never be the same.

The scene never fails to give goose bumps: the baby, just seconds old and still dewy from the womb, is lifted into the arms of its exhausted but blissful parents. They gaze adoringly as their new child stretches and squirms, scrunches its mouth and opens its eyes. To anyone watching this tender vignette, the message is unmistakable. Birth is the beginning of it all, ground zero, the moment from which the clock starts ticking.

Not so, declares Janet DiPietro. Birth may be a grand occasion, says the Johns Hopkins University psychologist, but "it is a trivial event in development. Nothing neurologically interesting happens."

Armed with highly sensitive and sophisticated monitoring gear, DiPietro and other researchers today are discovering that the real action starts weeks earlier. At 32 weeks of gestation - two months before a baby is considered fully prepared for the world, or "at term" - a fetus is behaving almost exactly as a newborn. And it continues to do so for the next 12 weeks.

As if overturning the common conception of infancy weren't enough, scientists are creating a startling new picture of intelligent life in the womb. Among the revelations:

By nine weeks, a developing fetus can hiccup and react to loud noises. By the end of the second trimester it can hear.
Just as adults do, the fetus experiences the rapid eye movement (REM) sleep of dreams.
The fetus savors its mother's meals, first picking up the food tastes of a culture in the womb.
Among other mental feats, the fetus can distinguish between the voice of Mom and that of a stranger, and respond to a familiar story read to it.
Even a premature baby is aware, feels, responds, and adapts to its environment.
Just because the fetus is responsive to certain stimuli doesn't mean that it should be the target of efforts to enhance development. Sensory stimulation of the fetus can in fact lead to bizarre patterns of adaptation later on.
The roots of human behavior, researchers now know, begin to develop early - just weeks after conception, in fact. Well before a woman typically knows she is pregnant, her embryo's brain has already begun to bulge. By five weeks, the organ that looks like a lumpy inchworm has already embarked on the most spectacular feat of human development: the creation of the deeply creased and convoluted cerebral cortex, the part of the brain that will eventually allow the growing person to move, think, speak, plan, and create in a human way.

At nine weeks, the embryo's ballooning brain allows it to bend its body, hiccup, and react to loud sounds. At week ten, it moves its arms, "breathes" amniotic fluid in and out, opens its jaw, and stretches.
http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/tul/psychtoday9809.html

Massive development occurs in the embryo and then fetus at extremely early stages, and the child's development afterward is a continuous, steady process.

Besides, we also know that the child's physical and psychological development continues to progress between infancy and childhood, childhood and adolescence, adolescence and adulthood. Birth is no magical line at which anything happens. All that happens is the child receives heightened awareness of the outside world. As Johns Hopkins University Psychologist Janet DiPietro said, "it is a trivial event in development. Nothing neurologically interesting happens."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Tech University
Recent research suggests that teens' brains are not completely developed until late in adolescence.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/family/350-850/350-850.html
If we're making the cut-off point based on psychological development, really the most obvious point at which the killing of a child should be made illegal is the time when development stops. That's late adolescence.

We only choose birth because that's when we first see the child ourselves, and consequently our personal feeling of moral responsibility for him or her leaps.
Quote:
Either that or they think genocide is a bad thing, to be protested on internet forums, as opposed to setting fire to Parliament.
Many of the people seeking to change the abortion laws are Christians, and we have repeated scriptures in the Epistles and Gospels telling us not to violently rebel against the government. We try to make change through peaceful methods.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 06-19-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
In neither the case Curufin brought up nor the case BeardofPants brought up did the abused person commit suicide. They preferred a miserable life to death. If we decide to make the decision for them and kill them, that's murder.

While it's not right to assume things will be well for the child, abortion performed on this justification assumes the child will have a life that the child would feel is worse than death (for if the parent feels that way and the child disagrees, the parent's view is automatically trumped). The assumptions made in justifying abortion this way are GIGANTIC.
Yes, assumptions are bad
I didn't mean to say that I was pro-abortion because the child will have a bad life. Or because you don't know if it will be happier if it's aborted or not. Just tried to say that neither side can really use that sort of assumption to support their position.
IMHO, in the end it's between the woman and her Maker, as I said before.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #28
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I agree. But the woman is a person, and the cell cluster is only the potential for a person.
A cell cluster is not only potential. It's potential + material. There is what there is, and there is the potential for more. An embryo is more material + potential. A fetus is still more. A 1-week from birth child is still more. An infant is still more. An 8-year old is even more material + potential, and an adolescent is more material + potential, and an adult has reached the point where his brain won't physically develop further, so the "potential" side of him, materially, is ended. At that point, he's just material. Though he still is potential in that he could make things out of life that he presently has not.

There is no fixed point at which someone ceases to be potential, and if you're calculating by the physical development of the human, any set point to say that "here personhood begins" is arbitrary.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #29
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
IMHO, in the end it's between the woman and her Maker, as I said before.
Well, in the end Joseph Kony's deeds will also be between him and his Maker. That doesn't mean we can't try to create just laws here on Earth, too .

Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #30
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

On a related issue, politicians in the Netherlands have legalized and regulated the infanticide of children with terminal medical conditions or disabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsmax.com
Infanticide used to be taboo in the Western world. But the government of the Netherlands is currently considering what many consider to be unthinkable – the creation of legal standards for pediatric euthanasia.

According to the London Times, a committee will soon be set up to regulate the practice, which doctors have quietly been performing for years in the Netherlands. Shockingly, Dutch politicians have not faced the wrath of many domestic or foreign critics.

. . . .

According to Colleen Campbell, a fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, the Groningen Protocol declared a newborn subject to euthanasia if "his diagnosis and prognosis are ‘certain,’ his suffering is ‘hopeless and unbearable,’ and his qualify of life is ‘very poor,’ according to the child’s parents and ‘at least one independent doctor.’"
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...7/115852.shtml

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 06-19-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #31
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Children, the same as adults, have the right to some level of dignity in their lives, and in their deaths. Do you really think that it is alright to let a child live if it is 'certain' that his life is going to be one of 'hopeless and unbearable' pain? That sounds rather cruel to me.

Death is not the worst of all possible options. I think this mindset that even being allowed to live in horrible pain is preferable to death comes from a natural human fear of death, but is in many ways cowardly and cruel.

As for the suicide comment made before in reference to my father - he has been suicidally depressed for fifteen years, and there have been times we have been unable to leave him alone. If not for the pain it would cause my mother, my brother and myself, I am quite certain that my father would not still be with us.

~The Lay of Leithian

Last edited by Curufin : 06-19-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #32
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:

It's tragic, as far as I'm concerned, and indicates that the pro-choice advocates may well be winning at impacting the psychology of the country.
I agree. But because it seems to me that people often seem to confuse a pro-choice attitude with a pro-abortion attitude, if you understand what I mean. Because while it's rational to say that government shouldn't have any say in the matter because there's no rational argument to prove that a fetus has a soul, and that it doesn't have any good way of defining when a fetus becomes a child, it's irrational, in my opinion, to think that it's ok to just wing it and do whatever we want with it because we don't know what it is. The fact that we have no data on which to judge the worth(which sounds harsh, but it's what we're doing, isn't it?)of these cells doesn't make me think "oh, it's not a baby", all it does is tell me I don't know squat about it.

That's scary. Who wants to make a decision on a subject they know they know nothing about? I admit, it's totally beyond me what the definition of life is, so I personally wish to avoid making any possibly decisions regarding it, in fear of deeply regretting them afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
I firmly believe that women just nurture by nature. It severely hurts quite a lot of women psychologically (and sometimes physically) to have an abortion.
Which is why the think Midge's post above expresses such an important point. The unknown aspects of this process leaves room for their to be deep pain in the future of woman who choose to abort. My girlfriend volunteers at a Womans Support Center where we're living. She counsels pregnant woman on the various choices they have before them on how to handle the pregnancy, including adoption and abortion. She's learned a lot about abortion and the various studies on it. One of these suggested that a large proportion of woman who have had an abortion have a crisis about it later in the lives, and many of them wish they'd never done it.

Also, a huge percentage of people who come to her looking for an abortion know near to nothing about abortions. They don't know how it works, how emotionally traumatizing the process itself is, what the risks of depression later in life are, and certainly nothing about what the infant with go through. Because sadly, the pro-choice movement doesn't want them to know. They want it to be clean, and black and white.

It's not. It's a giant gray area, and one that should be more freely discussed outside the context of this bloody culture war. It does more damage than good.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #33
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
I firmly believe that women just nurture by nature.
This is opening up a whole new can of worms. I don't necessarily believe this. I believe that society has conditioned women to be this way, but I'm not quite so sure it's natural.

Quote:
It severely hurts quite a lot of women psychologically (and sometimes physically) to have an abortion.
Of course it does. And I really doubt that you'll find anyone who has abortions for fun, or anyone in the pro-choice movement who thinks that abortion is a good thing. Good and necessary are two entirely different things.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 06-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #34
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
A cell cluster is not only potential. It's potential + material. There is what there is, and there is the potential for more. An embryo is more material + potential. A fetus is still more. A 1-week from birth child is still more. An infant is still more. An 8-year old is even more material + potential, and an adolescent is more material + potential, and an adult has reached the point where his brain won't physically develop further, so the "potential" side of him, materially, is ended. At that point, he's just material. Though he still is potential in that he could make things out of life that he presently has not.

There is no fixed point at which someone ceases to be potential, and if you're calculating by the physical development of the human, any set point to say that "here personhood begins" is arbitrary.
I'm not falling for this, Lief. If I'm assigning "personhood' by an achievement score, many people might fall short. But no one is doing that, it's a straw man. No one is saying "people" are those who can play piano sonatas from memory, and everyone else is provisional. The biggest difference between gestation and post gestation is that someone has to gestate. It's just not right to require someone to do that, if she doesn't want to. It's like requiring you to 'donate' a kidney. You have a perfectly swell one, you're hardly using it, and it would save someone's life. The government will be by to pick it up Wednesday. Don't worry, though. Your corneas look pretty good, so NEXT year we'll come and get those. Well, one, at least, we wouldn't want to inconvenience you. But skin...skin grafts are really in demand, we might get that, on a later trip.

The ONLY reason everyone doesn't see this for the monstrous invasion of government into the life of an individual that it is is because people blame women for being pregnant. It's all through this thread, already. "If a woman chooses to have sex, she should know she might have a baby." There might be some lip-service to rape exceptions, or 'life of the mother' but basically the message is, 'She asked for it, let her suffer."

I know more about fertility and pregnancy than most people on this board will ever live to. And I say, "Being pregnant is a big darn deal, but it is NOTHING compared to having a baby." They are both more immense than any male will ever comprehend, and more complicated, and the only reasonable preventative is forbidding heterosexual behavior, at all. Because as long as women and men 'fraternize' the potential for pregnancy exists, and it won't always be welcome.

Quote:
On a related issue, politicians in the Netherlands have legalized and regulated the infanticide of children with terminal medical conditions or disabilities.
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...7/115852.shtml
It's not "a related note." It's outside the scope of this discussion, as any triage issue would be. Pray you'll never have sick relatives, or be sick, yourself.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 06-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #35
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Sullivan View Post
I agree. But because it seems to me that people often seem to confuse a pro-choice attitude with a pro-abortion attitude, if you understand what I mean. Because while it's rational to say that government shouldn't have any say in the matter because there's no rational argument to prove that a fetus has a soul, and that it doesn't have any good way of defining when a fetus becomes a child, it's irrational, in my opinion, to think that it's ok to just wing it and do whatever we want with it because we don't know what it is. The fact that we have no data on which to judge the worth(which sounds harsh, but it's what we're doing, isn't it?)of these cells doesn't make me think "oh, it's not a baby", all it does is tell me I don't know squat about it.

That's scary. Who wants to make a decision on a subject they know they know nothing about? I admit, it's totally beyond me what the definition of life is, so I personally wish to avoid making any possibly decisions regarding it, in fear of deeply regretting them afterward.
This perspective makes a TON more sense to me than many I've heard. I disagree with you about the government's role, for governments have a duty to protect their citizens, and if no one can say "humans are persons", and we instead argue about when personhood begins for humans, it can become very hard for the government to adequately protect all of those they should be protecting.

But I entirely agree with your position that people should err on the side of caution when deciding the fate of a human life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Children, the same as adults, have the right to some level of dignity in their lives, and in their deaths. Do you really think that it is alright to let a child live if it is 'certain' that his life is going to be one of 'hopeless and unbearable' pain? That sounds rather cruel to me.
Hopeless to adults and unbearable to adults. The child certainly doesn't make that decision. Not even the parents make that decision- a doctor does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin
Death is not the worst of all possible options. I think this mindset that even being allowed to live in horrible pain is preferable to death comes from a natural human fear of death, but is in many ways cowardly and cruel.

As for the suicide comment made before in reference to my father - he has been suicidally depressed for fifteen years, and there have been times we have been unable to leave him alone. If not for the pain it would cause my mother, my brother and myself, I am quite certain that my father would not still be with us.
Normally, we'd say that he should receive psychiatric care, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
I'm not falling for this, Lief. If I'm assigning "personhood' by an achievement score, many people might fall short.
I'm very glad you recognize that. I've debated with some people here who feel differently. Gaffer, for instance (the one I was responding to), said that he wouldn't support abortion after 22 weeks because of the possibility a person is being killed, which suggests he's making a psychological evaluation.

I'll respond to the rest of your post shortly.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #36
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
A cell cluster is not only potential. It's potential + material.
[Aristotle]Silly Lief, potential and material are the same thing![/Aristotle]

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #37
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
Normally, we'd say that he should receive psychiatric care, then.
He does get psychiatric care. It doesn't always work, you know.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #38
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
He does get psychiatric care. It doesn't always work, you know.
Like methods to control fertility.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

Mari, I think you make a lot of good points. I certainly wouldn't have cared if I'd have died before I had any attachment to anything in the world, and no one's really gonna miss the kid either. As for how things turn out for the mother, well, that's her deal.

Also I read once or twice that maybe the fetus feels pain, well, like I care. Life is full of pain.
Quote:
We only choose birth because that's when we first see the child ourselves, and consequently our personal feeling of moral responsibility for him or her leaps.
Don't underestimate maternal instincts. I think a lot of pregnant women, by choice or not, feel a tremendous amount of attachment to the unborn child. And I did see an ultrasound. With head and arms and legs and cute and all.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #40
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
[Aristotle]Silly Lief, potential and material are the same thing![/Aristotle]
Lol!
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote