Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2003, 10:54 AM   #21
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i agree some part of the lotr movies were bad but overall i thought it was pretty good.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #22
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

That's true. I mean, you sort of have to decide: would you rather have the movies he made or no LotR movies at all??? (except of course those old cartoons that for some reason made sarumaun wear red. What WAS up with that?? I never understood that! Of course I may be thinking of something else as I have not seen those cartoons [excepting the Hobbit] for ages. Even a seven year old knows when she's been wronged. Personally The Hobbit cartoon i think was good, if nothing else then just plain amusing, but I DO NOT appreciate those LotR cartoons! Its pathetic to think that some children watch that cartoon with never having read the book and actually love them! I pity them, they just don't know what they're missing *sighs*. Hmmm, this is off topic, isn't it???? Oh well )

anyway, if you just get rid of all that babble I just typed, that is the question.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #23
Elf Girl
Lurker

No movies, if they can't do 'em right.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #24
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
That's true. I mean, you sort of have to decide: would you rather have the movies he made or no LotR movies at all???
I'd rather have no LoTR movies than the action features PJ gave us. The books are enough for me.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:34 PM   #25
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
That's true. I mean, you sort of have to decide: would you rather have the movies he made or no LotR movies at all??? (except of course those old cartoons that for some reason made sarumaun wear red. What WAS up with that?? I never understood that! Of course I may be thinking of something else as I have not seen those cartoons [excepting the Hobbit] for ages. Even a seven year old knows when she's been wronged. Personally The Hobbit cartoon i think was good, if nothing else then just plain amusing, but I DO NOT appreciate those LotR cartoons! Its pathetic to think that some children watch that cartoon with never having read the book and actually love them! I pity them, they just don't know what they're missing *sighs*. Hmmm, this is off topic, isn't it???? Oh well )

anyway, if you just get rid of all that babble I just typed, that is the question.
Yes, that WAS strange...Aruman the Red... But seriously, I actually thought that Bakshi's LOTR captured Tolkien better than Jackson's LOTR. At least, what there was of it. (Off-topic: am I the only one who noticed they ended at almost the exact same place?) Of course, it wasn't perfect, but for me at least, it was closer to it.

But anyway, No Movies, if they aren't done at least reasonably right. I agree with what Mrs. Maggott said in the movie forum: Bakshi made his in an era when LOTR was wildly popular, and thus decided that sticking closer to the book would be better, and bring in more money.

I was going to get around the asking K one of these days how she felt about the movies, but I think there's no need to now...

Put my name on the NO HOBBIT petition.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:02 AM   #26
Elf Girl
Lurker

Let's send the two petitions in the same envelope.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 08:19 AM   #27
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Here's a better, more logical idea:

Let's send only the petition that gets more signatures.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 AM   #28
Gwaimir Windgem

OR how about we only send the NO Hobbit one?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #29
Baby-K
Corruptor

How 'bout we stop the petitions altogether & just beat PJ senseless, then he won't be able to make the movie anyway.

Have you guys ever wondered how the movies would have turned out if it were made by students who were told to put them in a setting that people could identify with or make it more accessible for different cultural backgrounds? (And I'm surprised no daft teacher has come up with such a sick idea to punish the world).

Can you imagine a LotR version of the modern day Romeo & Juliet?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:29 AM   #30
Gwaimir Windgem

Abomination...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #31
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Alright. Its obvious nobody likes PJ. I guess it was just a bad idea. Will one of the administrators close this thread for me? If you guys seriously want to make a petition against it, please do it in another thread. I didn't know that so many people hated PJ's movies. *shrugs* Oh well.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:27 AM   #32
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I think that what you said was a good idea, as long as we also wrote in saying how we don't want the movies to have comic relief in them that the book dose not, and saying that everything has to be strate from the book, nothing like Arwen saving Frodo on her white horse, but derectly from the book, with only the comic relief that Tolkien pute in the books, and stuff out of the books. He could pute the whole book into a movie in three hourse, I think, after all, the cartoon version was only about 70 min. and it coverd the book pritty good. As long as we made it clear that he couldn't mess it up.

On the other hand, he may mess it up anyways if he did make it, and it may resolt in book covers like the LOTR ones, and who would want that???

Maybe we should do like someone said earler, and send him 2 letters in the same envolope, and leave it up to him to make up his own mind, after all, it's his final say.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:04 AM   #33
Agburanar
Elf Lord

NO NO NO NO NO NO MORE BAD MOVIES!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

I DON'T WANT MY IMAGINATION WOUNDED ANY FURTHER BY BAD INTERPRETATIONS. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF SANITY, DO NOT TRY AND GET PJ TO DO ANY MORE FILMS EVER!!!!!!!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:06 PM   #34
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

I found a petition here so if there is anyone who wants a hobbit movie, please go there. You don't have to do anything besides typing your name, e-mail, and your first and second choices of director (I said PJ and George Lucas respectively).
Old 06-08-2003, 02:57 PM   #35
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Hey, I think it would be great if he made a Hobbit movie! I will go to the site you posted Topaz, and ask him to make one.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #36
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally posted by TopazJedi
. . . if there is anyone who wants a hobbit movie, please go there. You don't have to do anything besides typing your name, e-mail, and your first and second choices of director (I said PJ and George Lucas respectively).

George Lucas???!!! No way!!

I think PJ should make the Hobbit into a television miniseries, like Sir Ian McKellen said (I forget where I read this). Then they could do ever little twist and turn in the whole book. The only possible problem I could see with this is A) I don't get Cable or dish TV, so I wouldn't be able to watch it if they aired it on them, and B) the quality of TV shows tends to be less than that of movies.

BTW, to those who want to sign the Don't Make The Hobbit petition, if you guys don't like the movies, than why don't you just not watch them???
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:49 PM   #37
Gwaimir Windgem

Ah, but you see, I don't mind the stories. What I mind is the destruction and sadistic defiling of Tolkien's story. Which is something that extends far beyond just "not watching them".

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-09-2003, 09:17 PM   #38
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee

BTW, to those who want to sign the Don't Make The Hobbit petition, if you guys don't like the movies, than why don't you just not watch them???
Because then they wouldn't be able to complain about them afterward! (Don't anyone get mad, I'm just kidding! )
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 PM   #39
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
I like the movies, I probably watch bits of the DVD at least once a week. But there are changes that annoy me, and I would prefer a director who would stick closer to the book.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:30 AM   #40
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
How could anyone conclude that they don't like the movies without seeing them first?

I gave PJ his chance, and his interpretation is not mine.