Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2003, 04:09 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

Moving back -- the Golden Haired one has spoken.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 PM   #22
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Hmm... dragons, werewolves, and vampires, eh? I don't think Jackson would be interested. Sounds too banal for him. Maybe Sam Raimi would be interested.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 10-29-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #23
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Why can't the people who don't like Lord fo the Rings the movies - or don't love them as much as others - bash Jackson or state their opinion? If you only talked to people who agreed with you it would be a very boring discussion.

This can be a very interesting thread - people can relate the scenes as they were in the book or make changes like Jackson made in LotR. I'm just asking how Jackson would do the movie. BB seems to think that Jackson is the only one who can produce them. I want people's ideas on what they think Jackson would do.
Maybe people who hate the trilogy should go to the books forum and respond to every post with images of vomit and suggestions about murdering the publisher. Maybe they should start threads like "If Tolkien had written Shakespeare" and guffaw at the image of Caliban speaking like Gollum.

OR ... maybe SOME people can say ONE positive thing EVER in SOME post someday instead of scanning over the messageboards looking for other people's opinions to freak out about.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:02 PM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Moving back -- the Golden Haired one has spoken.
Thanks azalea

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:38 PM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Maybe people who hate the trilogy should go to the books forum and respond to every post with images of vomit and suggestions about murdering the publisher. Maybe they should start threads like "If Tolkien had written Shakespeare" and guffaw at the image of Caliban speaking like Gollum.
If they do that - then why are they even on a TOLKIEN messageboard? There have been disagreements with things Tolkien did or said - but it's HIS work. Jackson COPIED TOLKIEN'S work.
Quote:

OR ... maybe SOME people can say ONE positive thing EVER in SOME post someday instead of scanning over the messageboards looking for other people's opinions to freak out about.
If you're talking to me - I have said things postive about the movies also - I don't scan the messages and decide to just find something to "freak out about". Although it does seem like you have this problem - or a problem. I have been here since December 2001 - and if you go back to my posts concerning the movies - you will see everythign I have said and how I have felt. If people don't like it - they can ignore it - but I'm not going to stop replying to what other people say or stating how I feel.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-29-2003 at 09:40 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:43 PM   #26
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Personally I don't think it's possible to make a (good) Silmarillion movie, but if PJ does it, it would have:

*Feanor would fall down all the time, and perhaps have a perpetual constipated look on his face.

*Galadriel would rescue Maedhros.

*Thingol would die by falling on a spiked wheel.

*Mim would be tossed by Turin and die.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:29 AM   #27
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Good ideas, Cass! Except I think Feanor should do the eyes-rolling-up-in-head thing that Elijah does...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:57 AM   #28
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Thanks azalea
Thanks? Please explain this one to us peon posters, Sister Golden Hair. How in the world can you rationalize putting this thread back in the Lord of the Rings movie forum. The thread is about the Silmarillion. There is a forum for discussion of the Silmarillion. This forum is for Lord of the Rings movie discussion. The last time I checked, the Silmarillion wasn't part of the Lord the Rings.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:54 AM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Thanks? Please explain this one to us peon posters, Sister Golden Hair. How in the world can you rationalize putting this thread back in the Lord of the Rings movie forum. The thread is about the Silmarillion. There is a forum for discussion of the Silmarillion. This forum is for Lord of the Rings movie discussion. The last time I checked, the Silmarillion wasn't part of the Lord the Rings.
Thank you so much for your administrative advice, but it is my opinion that this thread is a Peter Jackson thread more than a book thread. We are discussing what if Peter Jackson made a Silmarillion movie. Also FYI, there is already a thread in the Silmarillion forum about the Silmarillion films, started by you. Not quite the same as this one.The subject of Peter Jackson does not belong in the book forums, least of all, in the Silmarillion form.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-30-2003, 11:37 AM   #30
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I'm sure with Jackson it'll star Pamela Anderson as Luthien.
She won't be around, she has Hepatitus C.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 PM   #31
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Thank you so much for your administrative advice
You're most welcome, SGH.

The feelings of gratitude are overwhelming me. I feel just like an archer elf who's just marched into Helm's Deep.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #32
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
She won't be around, she has Hepatitus C.
Is that fatal (in the sense that she will die in under 1-2 years)?
==============================================
In some respects, I think I would have an easier time watching a film about the Silmarillion by Jackson since I have only read parts of the book and do not remember much to any great deal of detail. I may still have problems with the film, but it will not be due to my familiarity with the story.

Part of my problems with PJ&co. treatment of LOTR is due to my familiarity with LOTR.
Part is due to unecessary parts in the film, IMHO
(ie
Ents quickly changing their mind about attacking Isengard, after stating in the Film about 1-3 minutes earlier that Ents are "not hasty" (or words to that effect),
Shield suffing down the stairs,
Dwarf jokes (I thought they were amusing, but not appropriate for the film),
Olympic torch Orc (funny yes. appropriate for film no)
Burping in the film and sloppy eating habits. (might this occur in a "real world ME" yes. Appropriate to include in the film. no.)
)
to name some examples that I can think of at the momment.

Again this is MHO.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #33
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

The feelings of gratitude are overwhelming me. I feel just like an archer elf who's just marched into Helm's Deep.
That's nice, considering that the only Elf that was at Helms Deep in the books was Legolas, which is percisely why a movie of the Silmarillion shouldn't be done, by anyone, not just Jackson.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-30-2003, 12:45 PM   #34
jerseydevil

Quote:

Well you should - because there were no elves in Helms Deep.

Cross post with SGH.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-30-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #35
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
The thread is about the Silmarillion. There is a forum for discussion of the Silmarillion. This forum is for Lord of the Rings movie discussion. The last time I checked, the Silmarillion wasn't part of the Lord the Rings.
No. This thread is about Peter Jackson. Thank you, admins.

I tried to make an opera libretto from various sources concerning Beren and Luthien, but I gave up. It was just too much action for such a small space.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. Each chapter of the Simarillion could be a novel in itself. Drama is such a different medium that you can't even approach the story the same way. And cinema is so visual compared to other forms of drama that it is like four generations away from the source.

I'd like to see Jackson's detractors here attempt a screenplay conversion of even a short story. It's so easy to be an armchair quarterback.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:22 PM   #36
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
I'd like to see Jackson's detractors here attempt a screenplay conversion of even a short story. It's so easy to be an armchair quarterback.
I had studied a lot of film making in high school. I have friends whot WRITE screenplays. The changes jackson made made the Lord of the Rings into an ACTION movie. No one is saying that NO changes had to take place - we just have problems with a lot of the changes Jackson DID make and had nothing to do with the conversion from book to movie.

And yes - I agree the only way to do the Silmarillion would be to take gorups of chapters and flesh them out.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-30-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #37
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
I think I read in an article somewhere that she said she has 10 years left or something *shrugs* im not too sure on all that.

As far as a Silmarillion movie goes I agree with what SGH said, a movie of it just shouldnt be made by anyone. I can understand wanting to bring a beloved classic to the screen and introduce those that didnt know about it to the LOTR trilogy, but leave it at that. People should now be encouraged to find out more about that whole world if they liked it. I will say I know alot of people that read lotr after seeing the movie and then wanted to read all the other books too....yah....
IMHO
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 03:49 PM   #38
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
That's too bad, since they all died.

Oh wait, that was the point, wasn't it? Don't mind me...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:36 PM   #39
hawaiidevil
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
It's possible (do no know if this claim is true, but...). depending on how bad her case is.

Hep C is alot like AIDS just slower, and it specifically attacks the liver. It comes from blood-to-blood contact, nothing sexual related (which can be the case with AIDS).

It can be treated with Chemotherapy, but the disease itself is terminal.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:42 PM   #40
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Since anything related to Peter Jackson -- even when it has nothing to do with the Lord of the Rings movies -- has been deemed okay to post in this forum, does this mean a Peter Jackson thread on King Kong would be okay to post here too? What about the cast? Can threads about their future film projects be included there too since this appears to have become the "anything movie-related goes here" forum?

Just wondering.