Old 06-10-2000, 06:34 PM   #21
Darth Tater

Re: Re:Music

anduin, you neglected to tell them that I fixed your computer
Old 06-11-2000, 10:02 PM   #22
anduin

How did you fix it again?

Well actually Ben gave me the idea to look for a plug-in, and I finally found one......but you were very helpful, yes indeedy!
Old 06-12-2000, 06:45 AM   #23
arynetrek

i agree with The One Ring, who suggested night on bald mountain & firebird symphony for the evil/dramatic stuff. actually almost any russian-written classical music i've heard would work, but i'm not even going to attempt the spellings of the composers' names. i also think zeppelin (but only certain zeppelin - battle of evermore & kashmir more tham anything else), styx 'come sail away' & most of smashing pumpkins' Mellon Collie CD, but those are very recognizable. if you're lookign for i was at this site awhile ago, called "tolkien downloads" that had a great MIDI, called lothlorien - very good. the vision of escaflowne soundtrack would work too - if you've never heard of it, escaflowne is this beautiful anime, & even though the story has nothing to do with LotR (wow! fantasy that doesn't rip off Tolkien) the music reminds me of it. also lorena mckennet (sp?), have you heard of her?
Old 08-02-2000, 12:02 PM   #24
dunedain lady

Yeah, all these ideas sound great. Night on Bald Mountain is definitely Mordor music! Pachebel's Canon does sound elvish, now that I think about it. We play that all the time in orchestra, but I never connected it with Tolkien before. Aaaargh! You had to mention Hall of the Mountain King, didn't you?! Now it's stuck in my head! But it IS perfect dwarf music I heard a performance of it once played by a group of xylophones that sounded really perfect for Tolkein.
Old 08-02-2000, 07:06 PM   #25
noldo

Does rock-music count? There is this one song called "Join Me In Death" that reflects the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn (as well as Lúthien & Beren too ) perfectly.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:11 PM   #26
Shanamir Duntak

If metal counts "Call of Ktulu" from Metallica is really Middle-earth sounding
Old 08-03-2000, 12:53 AM   #27
arynetrek

Shan - i think we're the only people here who agree on this Metallica thing...

Noldo - who does "join me in death"? what decade? and yes, rock music does count - as of this afternoon (aka the last time i listened to them) Zeppelin was a rock band (mostly).

and the more i listen to teh lyrics, the more pantera's "cemetary gates" reminds me of post-aragorn Arwen

aryne *
Old 08-03-2000, 05:28 AM   #28
noldo

Rock-band called HIM, very this decade. They aren't very known all over the world but have gained some popularity in Europe. Their songs talk on subjects like love, destructive love, and also very often death.

You could check out Roland Emmerich's "13th Floor" (not the old one) for it has it on it's soundtrack.
Old 08-03-2000, 06:24 PM   #29
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Do anybody know where you can find wav's that reminds you of Middle-earth (to use for flash animations)??
Old 08-04-2000, 04:59 AM   #30
dogtrot

Seeing the Wizard of the Secret Fire above reminded me of the Black Sabbath song "the wizard". It always reminded me of Gandalf. " without warning a wizard walks by"
Old 08-08-2000, 07:47 PM   #31
Sharku

Norwegian project BURZUM have quite a lot songs which remind me of Middle-Earth, some intentionally (with titles like "The Crying Orc" or "One Ring to Rule"), because they really sound like Mordor. They´re misanthropic black metal, though, so I guess there are only few here who like them, too. But the last two Burzum-albums entirely were ambient/folk music which still had a good ME-appeal. Midieval music in general often sounds like fantasy, and of course especially like ME, to me.
Oh, and let´s not forget MANOWAR.
Old 08-13-2000, 02:58 PM   #32
horce

An old Jethro Tull album (yes album...thats how old)called "Songs From the Wood". Also "Heavy Horses". Lots of rustic medieval influence.
Old 08-18-2000, 02:13 PM   #33
Sharku

If you wanted medieval-style music, there are some German bands like In Extremo or Tanzwut. Folkloristic bands which have a ME feeling could be Hagalaz Runedance, Garmarna or Dargaard.
Old 08-18-2000, 03:38 PM   #34
Gilthalion

bmilder,

I can't listen to the midi's till I get home! Many classical pieces are available as midis.

Beethoven's PASTORAL SYMPHONY is perfect for The Shire.

Though overused, Bach's TOCATTA AND FUGUE IN D MINOR is most sinister sounding. Perfect for entering Orthanc!

Wagner's FLYING DUTCHMAN is just incredible!

Come to think of it, I may need to covet these ideas in my hoard for my own use!

Among soundtracks I like:

The FLYING THEME from ET by John Williams is good Elvish music. (And anything else by John Williams!)

The theme to THE ROCKETEER.

Though some may call it heresy, I actually liked much of the music from THE LORD OF THE RINGS by Ralph Bakshi. Some of the Rankin Bass melodies were nice, but perhaps a little too cute for most.
Old 08-18-2000, 10:25 PM   #35
Elbreth of Carhouth

Gil, you're very right about "The Rocketeer" and the "Flying Theme". Love them both, "Flying Dutchmen" too.

Loreena McKennitt does some really awesome celtic-sounding music. The CD I'm thinking of is called "The Book of Secrets". One of my favorites by her. I think something with that sort of sound to it would be great.

Other than that Ben, I think the midi's you've found for Lothlorien and Isengaard are nigh on perfect.
Old 08-19-2000, 08:19 PM   #36
Gothmoga

Ohhh good grief,the fat guy???????
Old 08-29-2000, 07:20 PM   #37
Miralys

Hey, I know this may be a little late but how about Blind Guardian? Their music has a lot of direct references to LOTR.
Old 08-29-2000, 09:41 PM   #38
Gilthalion

Yesterday, I heard Pavonne For A Dead Princess by Maurice Ravel.

It instantly reminded me of the Bitter Passing of Arwen Undomiel. I haven't searched to see if it is available on the net, but this is a sad, yet light, piece for flute and harp.
Old 08-30-2000, 12:10 PM   #39
Shanamir Duntak

Yeah, you're right Miralys, I once listen to them, and I must say they're good... I think I'll try to buy their album sooner or later.
Old 09-10-2000, 04:41 AM   #40
Pippin Skywalker

I think James Horner would have been MAGNIFICENT for LOTR....let me hear a YEAH BABY!
Celtic music ALWAYS reminds me of fantasy/lotr/myth/fairytales.Has anybody here heard the cd Celtic Spirit?UH! number 1 and 6.....unspeakbly beautiful!(Those two in particular would be good for the Silmarillion.)