Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #21
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

good point! anyways, have you got a question for me (only it seams at the moment) to answer, instead of me asking and you answering.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #22
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

hm...well...how far ahead do you think the vision went? if it went all the way, we would know where Men went when they died, no?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #23
jammi567

i think it might've gone to only near the end of the second age, when Numanor was swallowed up, because after that, they didn't seem to take a active part in middle earth after that, so it wouldn't matter to them what happens afterwards. also 'if it went all the way, we would know where Men went when they died, no?' i don't think so because a) it seems like the Valar were only told it's *possible* future events, not any of the 'technical' stuff , and b) even if they did know, i don't think they would tell the elf or man writing The Silmarillion these details because for the elves, it wouldn't matter, and for the men, they weren't important enough, nor would they have a person to tell them that knowledge.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #24
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

true enough...but though they didn't take an active part, they did send the maia...gandy...
----------------
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
CAB
Elven Warrior

I guess that I am a little late with this, but regarding the foreknowledge/free-will question, Valandil gave what I consider to be an excellent answer in an earlier thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
An explanation about God (EDIT: in this regard) that I understood the best was a different understanding of how God views the passage of time. We see one moment of time at once, obviously... we're limited in this way. Someone once suggested that God sees time THIS way: then put his hands about four feet apart, the one hand signifying the beginning of time, the other hand signifying the end, with God freely viewing (and because of His infinite qualities, fully comprehending) the entire scope of all time at once.

If this is a correct assessment of how God may view time, it's easier to understand the concept of 'foreknowledge' (knew what was going to happen) without that of 'foreordination' (determined what was going to happen).
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #26
jammi567

i understand the top paragraph, but can someone explain the bottom bit.

p.s no-one is ever too late for any discussion.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #27
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
i understand the top paragraph, but can someone explain the bottom bit.
It basically means the same thing that durinsbane said in the first part of post 16. I’m no philosopher, but I think one of the common questions in philosophy is: Can free will exist if foreknowledge exists? If God already knows what you are going to do, then how can you be free to choose? This is an answer to that question and, in the opinion of this admitted non-philosopher, is a very good one.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #28
jammi567

nice answer. I can't remember now, but wasn't there something about a Valar who could see into the future, but wasn't allowed to speak. if this is the case, then is direct knowledge of the future dangerous to both the individual and the valar s/he shares it with, because trying to change it would create a future that is usially badder then what was told?

p.s i'm no philosipher either!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #29
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
nice answer. I can't remember now, but wasn't there something about a Valar who could see into the future, but wasn't allowed to speak. if this is the case, then is direct knowledge of the future dangerous to both the individual and the valar s/he shares it with, because trying to change it would create a future that is usially badder then what was told?
All the Valar could probably see the future to some degree. The Vala you are referring to is Mandos. His knowledge of the future was greater than anyone other than Eru’s. He spoke his prophesies only at Manwe’s command. I can’t remember why he was limited this way, but that is an interesting question. It could be because of the reason you mentioned. That is a danger that Galadriel warned Frodo of concerning her mirror. Well, I can’t think about that right now. Gotta go. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #30
jammi567

that's ok. if all the valar can see into the future, what use would that be if none of them are allowes to use it? One last question for tonight: do the valar have a fea (soul)? Well, night all.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #31
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i think so. they represent angels, who are nothing but soul. also, they obviously do, because Melkor rebelled.

and CAB, THANK YOU!!! wow...that was so helpful to bring that in from Valandil, and Val, if you're reading, BRILLIANT!!!
----------------
Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #32
jammi567

what has Melkor rebelling got to do with the Valar obviosly having a soul or being nothing but souls.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #33
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

by Melkor rebelling, that shows that the Valar DO have free will...
----------------
Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #34
jammi567

so are you saying that if you have a soul, you have a free will.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #35
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes...but that's not the point here...all i'm saying is that the Valar did.
----------------
Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #36
jammi567

ok, can see what you're saying now. but why just the Valar, why not elves, men etc. also, if all the valar can see into the future, what use would that be if none of them are allowes to use it?

Last edited by jammi567 : 05-26-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #37
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

they can use it...than the future just changes...i think when one sees into the future, they see it as it is when they see it...than, with the knowledge, they make different choices or such, and thus the futures changes...
----------------
Old 05-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #38
jammi567

fair enough. so they basically had it so that the choices they had to make would be easier to decide thich one to chose.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #39
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes...
----------------
Old 05-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #40
jammi567

glad that's settled. would anybody else like to ask a question as you must be sick of me asking so many of them.