Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2002, 12:20 PM   #21
Helix
Elven Warrior

Diversity Alliance?

There was a Thrawn book not written by Timothy Zhan? What happened in Diversity Alliance? Is it in NJO? Anywho, Chewie and the Wookies are insanely better than the Noghri. The Noghri sneak around and slash people, while the Wookies actually fight.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:56 PM   #22
BeardofPants
the Shrike

(Based on the Zahn books, as I have not/will not read the other ones...)....

GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN KICKS PROVERBIAL BUTT!!!

... oh, and so does chewie.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-19-2002 at 03:57 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:52 PM   #23
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Thrawn rules!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:23 PM   #24
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Thrawn LOST. Bad guys cannot rule unless they WIN (most notiable example: Artemis Fowl)
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:44 PM   #25
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

What I want is to see the New Republic dig up a spare thrawn clone, and put him to work for the good guys.

The thing about thrawn was that he was almost not a villain. Borderline characters are always cool. And he lost only because it was a convinient plot device.
Old 04-20-2002, 03:29 PM   #26
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Getting Thawn to listen and work for th bad guys would be quite a feet. How come when you clone somebody you can give them the memories too?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-20-2002, 03:36 PM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, but Thrawn wasn't completely evil. He was (as Wayfarer said... I'm agreeing with him!?), a borderline personality. He was civilised, had good taste in the arts, etc. In other words, wasn't a generic baddie. Besides, it wouldn't be Thrawn you'd be trying to convert, but rather, his clone. I'd imagine it would be easier to manage this, than to actually get Grand Admiral Thrawn to do an about face. Besides, in a time when they can clone, I'm sure they've also got mind altering techniques....
Old 04-20-2002, 03:40 PM   #28
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Point, and you're right about him not being evil. He was just loyal. Every notice how the Jedi were the only evil ones and every one else just greedy?

Old 04-22-2002, 11:41 AM   #29
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Just clearing this up (Helix): No one besides Zahn has written a Thrawn book.

I agree that it would be awesome to see a book with Thrawn working for the Republic.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:43 AM   #30
Helix
Elven Warrior

Thrawn was loyal, and he wanted order (and other good stuff) for the galaxy. Plus, he was an alien (there goes the New Order). Defenitaly better than borderline, whichever side he was on.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:49 AM   #31
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

I'm agreeing with Helix here.
The Empire under Thrawn was different from the Empire under Palpatine. It was less discriminatory and just, well, better.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 04-22-2002, 11:51 AM   #32
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Plus, it had tactical genius. The Emperor was all for massive concentration of resources.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 04-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #33
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
Just clearing this up (Helix): No one besides Zahn has written a Thrawn book.

I agree that it would be awesome to see a book with Thrawn working for the Republic.
... No, but he turned up in a Lucasarts game somewhere.... Tie Fighter?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-22-2002 at 04:37 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #34
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

that's right!
Thrawn (see icon) developed the cloaking technology, then killed the guy who defected and stole it.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 04-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #35
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Helix
Thrawn was loyal, and he wanted order (and other good stuff) for the galaxy. Plus, he was an alien (there goes the New Order). Defenitaly better than borderline, whichever side he was on.
You're right. When they were fighting Thrawn it was really on the princapal of the thing. He didn't even have much against the Jedi. I DEFINTALY prefer him to the Vongs (used insulting term on purpose)

Old 05-06-2002, 11:50 AM   #36
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Why is Vong insulting? Does it have something to do with the abcense of Yuzzhan, as in Yun-Yuzzhan? I didn't read most of the books so I'm just wondering.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 05-06-2002, 08:18 PM   #37
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Um.. I think it was saying that they were just Vong ment that they were classless, or something like that.