Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2002, 02:49 AM   #21
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I did.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:31 AM   #22
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

It was definitely slim pickens on the women in the story. I agree, Tolkien didn't know what to write for the women. Seems like almost all of them cept Lobelia had to be "Beautiful". What a burden! I've wondered about the orcs too. Seems like their mommas would be inclined to eat their young, being of such fine character and all. I'm glad LoTR isn't a chick story tho, I love it so!
Old 06-01-2002, 12:06 PM   #23
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Bleh...a woman in the Fellowship, in my opinion, would have ruined the story.
Perhaps Tolkien was sexist, but he grew up in SEXIST TIMES. Personally, I was glad to finally find a book that doesn't just 'throw in a strong female character' to be politically correct (they're doing that in movies too...ahem, A Knight's Tale?). I know, I know, it was before all the worry about PC came, but still.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:32 PM   #24
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I agree that having a woman in the Fellowship would not have worked, and Tolkien can perhaps be forgiven for his sexism considering where and when he is coming from. Leave those sorts of female characters to more contemparary fantasy

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #25
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I didn't really notice there were no women in the fellowship. Doesn't make a difference to me. I think that if they're good characters, it doesn't matter if they're male or female - they're just people.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:49 PM   #26
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Yes, but that was a time of war and even today it is usually men who fight in wars. Women arn't even allowed on the front line. Anyway Eowyn was a great female character and killed the Witch king.

P.S. I wouln't diss Pippin or Merry around here.
first off..Pippin is awesome..he took out that troll and..err..did some other stuff like look into the palantir
and eowyn didnt kill the witch king..Merry did..she she just hit em at the same time merry did if my memory serves, which isnt too often.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:21 PM   #27
Handmaiden of Yavanna
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I wouln't diss Pippin or Merry around here
I wasn't "dissing" merry or pippin, I was just saying I would have liked a constant stronger female character in lotr. Any way how did we get on the topic of how orcs multiply and if you can tell the difference between a female and male dwarf? Its sort of funny how we changed topics
She wandered wayward for a time, from the gardens of the gods to climb the everlasting mountains free that look upon the outmost sea, and never wandered back but stayed softly singing from glade to glade.
Handmaiden of Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #28
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil

first off..Pippin is awesome..he took out that troll and..err..did some other stuff like look into the palantir
and eowyn didnt kill the witch king..Merry did..she she just hit em at the same time merry did if my memory serves, which isnt too often.
Merry just distracted it long enoigh for her to regain her conposure anf strike the fatal blow. Remember, the witch king could not be killed by a "man".
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 06:56 PM   #29
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

i remember...but merry isnt a man.
i know the words..i believe they were spoken by glorfindel to the king of gondor when the witch king retreated back to thr north.
"He bent over her like a cloud, and his eyes glittered; he raised his mace to kill.
But suddenly he too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving intot he ground. Merry's sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind his might knee."
goes on eowyn stabbed "between crown and mantle as the great shoulders bowed before her."
merry had a sword of westernesse. i dont see why or how eowyn's blow could have done anything to the witch king. if there is some text that says otherwise please tell me.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:02 PM   #30
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

oh..and i believe it was "by the hand of Man" or "Men" or sumtin..as in the whole race of Man..
Old 06-01-2002, 07:12 PM   #31
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
i remember...but merry isnt a man.
i know the words..i believe they were spoken by glorfindel to the king of gondor when the witch king retreated back to thr north.
"He bent over her like a cloud, and his eyes glittered; he raised his mace to kill.
But suddenly he too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving intot he ground. Merry's sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind his might knee."
goes on eowyn stabbed "between crown and mantle as the great shoulders bowed before her."
merry had a sword of westernesse. i dont see why or how eowyn's blow could have done anything to the witch king. if there is some text that says otherwise please tell me.
"between crown and mantle" would be a death blow. The knee wound would not neccssarily be fatal immediately or directly; certainly more than a distraction, though. I see about finding the related text. Hobbits are a type of "men", aren't they?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-01-2002, 07:15 PM   #32
Cirdan

Witch King and Eowyn

Witch King death thread

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-01-2002, 07:17 PM   #33
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

eowyns sword shattered into a buncha little piece when she hit em..

no theyre not Men. look at treebeard's poem thingy..he made a new rhyme for the Halflings since they didnt have one.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:23 PM   #34
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

yea itd be a death blow for something besides the nazgul. whenever a weapon struck him it was destroyed. but merry's sword had spells wound about it and was of westernesse. im sure eowyn had a toothpick of a sword out of one the hoards in meduseld:P
Old 06-01-2002, 08:36 PM   #35
Cirdan

It is vague. Eowyn dismounts the Rider, Merry drives his blade in (to an invisible being???) the sinew business, then Eowyn strikes and her sword shatters, THEN the crown rolled away and the cry went up.

Nazgul: "Hinder me! Thou Fool! No living man may hinder me!"

Eowyn: "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman."

It seems as though the setup is that gender is the "loophole", but race may be as well.

Any bets on how it will be played up in the movie?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-01-2002, 08:38 PM   #36
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

it can go either way..ill try to find the quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:41 PM   #37
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

"Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."
if it meant gender im sure hed say "a man" or "men"
"man" represents race in my opinion
Old 06-01-2002, 08:58 PM   #38
Cirdan

Well, it had to be a team effort. Neither could have killed it alone. Had Eowyn not slain the mount it is very doubtful that a hobbit would have stood a chance alone against the Nazgul, magic blade or no.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-01-2002, 09:00 PM   #39
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

I agree with you on that :P
Old 06-01-2002, 09:05 PM   #40
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
Any bets on how it will be played up in the movie?
i wanna see the Nazguls steed more than anything in the upcoming two movies (Save Minas Tirith. thats gonna be awesome:P)
im afraid its gonna end up being really cheesy