Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #21
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

And if I was a Brit hooligan, I'd worry less about the police and more about the boyos from Soweto- they've got some pretty big Zulus out in Durban, too

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #22
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

'Brit Hooligan'??

Hah, love the way you include the Scots, the Welsh, and the Old Etonians ( a small fiersome small-chinned tribe, truly terrifying in their pin-striped tribal gear, and sharp umbrellas..) and of course the Northern Irish ...

I'm sure Gaffer will be well pleased to be lumped into this category

As to dates Gaffer..suprised you didnt mentiion.. 1977!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQI9g...eature=related
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #23
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Much as I would love to see it the Dutch win, they always seem to bottle it at championships. Usually at the hands of Germany. Often as a result of in-fighting. But they are probably the best side never to have won the tournament. I think I shall join you, Coffeehouse, in supporting our orange brethren.

Still think Brazil will win it. Home hemisphere advantage to outweigh Boer heritage.
It would be refreshing to see the Dutch claim it since the current holders of the World Cup, Italy, won the competition through the sending off of Zidane (entirely his own fault!) and penalty kicks.. who remembers anything from the final except those infamous seconds at the dying moments of the match?

Perhaps Brazil are the strongest contenders, and no European team has ever won the World Cup outside of Europe. But this year's different. It's the first time the competition is outside of Europe but at a European time. Uruguay, Mexico, USA and South Korea/Japan were all well off Central European time, and far off to the east and west.

This year the European teams find themselves travelling directly south, same time zone, to a World Cup where the average temperature is approximately 10-15 degrees Celcius... cold! The teams won't be playing in baking hot weather, but at temperatures that most European club players are used to.
Perhaps this creates an advantage relative to previous World Cups outside of Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
But, ja, would be nice to see Orange. Though not sure how much heritage helps as the Afrikaaners are not passionate soccer fans- round ball supporters are mostly black.
Ja that's right! But I read an interview with a few Afrikaaners living in Pretoria (South Africa's capital), who were die-hard rugby-fans, but that had found themselves excited by South Africa's win over Denmark in their last friendly. Hopefully they've bought some tickets as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Speaking of which, I was watching the Rugby Super 14 Championship the other week played in Soweto(two SA teams), and the crowd was armed with long plastic trumpet thingies called
vuvzelas. They were so loud and blasted so constantly you couldn't hear the commentators- really annoying.
Not looking forward to those, the vuvuzelas. I guess they're an integral part of the football-atmosphere in SA, but they're really annoying... Hey perhaps some of the tv stations decide to lower the sound from the stadium during the coverage

In the end though, who can't but enjoy the death-or-glory optimism of England before every World Cup and European Cup since 1966? This is a must see!
"Fotball's Coming Home"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9SmXz5E1R4

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 06-09-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #24
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'm backing Argentina, or at least predicting that they'll do far better than everyone has seemed to collectively decided than they'll do. The objection commonly raised to me is that they are largely mediocre, unmotivated, rely on their individual genius and have an insane manager, quite literally insane, I might add. My response to this is that this was all true of the France team of 2006, who only lost the big prize due to the lottery of a Penalty Shootout.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #25
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

There's quite a difference though, Maradona is the embodiment of the cult of personality, and Argentina are going to follow him. The squad is insanely gifted with talent, but given bizarre managerial behaviour of Maradona I don't think they will get anything more than a 4th place, which for most would be great, but for Argentina is not enough. And that will be his head on a plate as well.. my two cents
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

First load of games under our belts and nobody has won a game yet. Classic stuff.

Superb opening goal though. It was grand to see South Africa in with a shout.

France are so pish; I hope they go out and two of the other three go through in that group.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #27
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer View Post
'Brit Hooligan'??

Hah, love the way you include the Scots, the Welsh, and the Old Etonians ( a small fiersome small-chinned tribe, truly terrifying in their pin-striped tribal gear, and sharp umbrellas..) and of course the Northern Irish ...

I'm sure Gaffer will be well pleased to be lumped into this category

As to dates Gaffer..suprised you didnt mentiion.. 1977!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQI9g...eature=related
I think at some stage there was more bits of those goalposts changing hands in Glasgow pubs than splinters of the True Cross in Catholic chapels, I'm telling you. Bloke I knew at uni, his dad claimed to have a bit of the turf, uprooted, brought home and planted in his garden.

Those were the days. All these uncouth English chavs have given hooliganism a bad name.

Last edited by Tessar : 06-11-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Please mind the language. :)
Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #28
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Very disappointed with the lack of banter here. England v USA and not a cheep of spite??

USA looked much the more hungry and determined and deserved at least the draw. Not much in the way of attacking ability shown however. They should count themselves lucky they don't have Germany in their group!

So far, only two sides have shown that they can play football: Germany and Argentina. Pretty mediocre fare from everybody else.

BB: can we now officially re-word all those "Scottish goalkeeper" jokes?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Were you lads ready to lynch poor Green after that goal? What a horrible miss. I actually feel sorry for the guy. Theres actually been several bad plays by goalies in this tournament (and I just watched Denmark make an own goal against the Dutch). You would figure at this level you wouldnt see easy misses very often.

Speaking of keepers, Tim Howard looked great although Im worried about his ribs after he took a cleat into the rib cage against England and broke a couple of them. Still supposed to start though against Slovenia.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #30
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I think the headline in the News of the Screws was "Hand of Clod", but it's mostly been people saying how "they feel for the lad" and "it could happen to anybody". Gag, puke. I don't feel sorry for him at all. But then, I'm Scottish. Hahahahaha.

Ach, he was half asleep; it was totally unforgivable, in a World Cup match especially.

The Paraguayan keeper kept up the tradition tonight - flapped uselessly at a cross and let the Italians equalise. If it wasn't for the gash goalies I think we would have had no goals at all.

Shame about Howard. Hard to imagin a goalie being 100% if he's got a couple of broken ribs.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #31
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

What the heck was the ref thinking in the US - Slovenia match!!?? That was a perfectly good goal! He cost us the win in what should have been an amazing come back! And ejecting a player for an inadvertent hand ball. Thats going to hurt us in the next match. Seems like the officiating is becoming more and more of a problem in the past week or so. The Swiss - Chili match this morning was horribly called.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #32
katya
Elven Maiden

Last edited by katya : 06-21-2010 at 01:44 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #33
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

What the heck?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #34
katya
Elven Maiden

He looks like a vuvuzela.... kind of? Sorry I don't watch sports so much so I can't comment on the games.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Haven't really been following it, but sounds like the NZ team has performed pretty well (drew against Italy). Yay.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #36
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's well-known that the French are the world's best at strike actions. Even their World Cup team went on a strike

It's interesting to see how the big teams of Europe are faring. England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France - have all drawn or even lost matches they should have won. The Argentinians and Brazilians are winning their matches on the other hand.

And my, I feel sorry for the African nations. Only Ghana has scored a win so far and there's a risk that none of the teams will make it to the second round in the first World Cup held in the continent.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #37
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Yeah France laid an enormous French goose egg in classic self destructive French fashion and I dont think anyone is sad to see them go quite frankly especially at the hands of the host country who finished with a win against them even if they didnt advance. And Ghana was my upset pick for the tournament so Im psyched! They have a solid chance to get into the round of 16 since they are now leading their group going into the final set of games.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Very disappointed with the lack of banter here. England v USA and not a cheep of spite??

USA looked much the more hungry and determined and deserved at least the draw. Not much in the way of attacking ability shown however. They should count themselves lucky they don't have Germany in their group!

So far, only two sides have shown that they can play football: Germany and Argentina. Pretty mediocre fare from everybody else.

BB: can we now officially re-word all those "Scottish goalkeeper" jokes?
Sorry Guys..just been hellishly busy in RL - not even seen much of the world cup so far.

(luckily??) managed to miss most of the Algeria game - likely the worst game i have ever seen England play -

Gaffer - never! Does the Pope ...er ? well, anyway.

Must confess i agree with the gaffer..not hads time to log on..but am disappointed by the lack of posts here...

was it not the New york times, after the England / Usa draw..that had as a front page full-page:

USA wins 1-1

I- Rex - the call on your disallowed goal was bang-on - the decision was ****** (add as many stars as you prefer)

Heard it on the radio and our lads were calling at worst... 2 penalities to the US - though naturally therefore the goal should stand!

soooo.... i'm hoping i have some time to get in geaqr with 2010 south Africa - was sorry to see the hosts go out....

must confess i am warming to Maradonna - three hail mary's? Man i must be going Roman

onto an earlier comment - still no signs of any English Hooligans ... and they must be hot in the winter..with their beef-eater hats, all those cups of tea and stiff upper lips...

hmmm

So.. anymore stupid stereotypes anyone wants to peddle out?

If not... perhaps we can get onto the football?

Best BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-22-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #39
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well Im spent from watching that US - Algeria game... 91st minute? Really? Couldnt you have made it even more intense by waiting till the 94th or so? *giant exhale* Pub sure exploded when Donovan knocked that rebound in though. Great moment.

Poor Slovenia. Leading the pack the whole way only to be passed at the tape by the US and England so the group finished just as most of us predicted.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #40
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
He looks like a vuvuzela.... kind of? Sorry I don't watch sports so much so I can't comment on the games.
My kids have that noise on their ipods ...

(and we're leaving for a week+ vacation on Saturday - those ipods might just get confiscated! )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote