Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2001, 08:29 PM   #21
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Well I know for one thing LOTR says that Shelob was an evil thing in the SHAPE of a spider, so does'nt that mean that her mother might have been an evil maiar in the shape of a spider, and maybe the spiders in Mirkwood were half spiders, you know alot of male arachnids are smaller then their mates. You never know.
I would think that the coolest and the most mystic beings would have to be the Ainur, the spirits who sang to Illúvatar in the begg. Or the Ents.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 10:28 PM   #22
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I cannot imagine what Ungoliant would be, if not a Maia in the shape of a vast spider. She nonetheless bred with what were apparently 'normal' monstrous spiders, those of the Valley of Dreadful Death. Shelob was of that terrible offspring, and she apparently bred with 'normal' monstrous spiders in the Shadowy Mountains, whose offspring removed to Mirkwood. Lovely names.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:09 AM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
I cannot imagine what Ungoliant would be, if not a Maia in the shape of a vast spider. She nonetheless bred with what were apparently 'normal' monstrous spiders, those of the Valley of Dreadful Death. Shelob was of that terrible offspring, and she apparently bred with 'normal' monstrous spiders in the Shadowy Mountains, whose offspring removed to Mirkwood. Lovely names.
So, what you are saying is that she bred with lesser beings but evil as she, and of more mortal makeup. Maybe a bad example, but like Thingol and Melian. (Not trying to start anything there, just a question and maybe a bad comparison.) But, you know what I mean.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 01:22 AM   #24
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, exactly like that. The Spiders of Mirkwood would have thin Maian blood in their veins, from one common ancestor. But I think 'Maian' is actually too noble a word for the filthy things. 'Raucon' is better. 'Maiar' means 'the Beautiful'. A rauco was a 'powerful, hostile and terrible creature', translated 'demon' by Tolkien in Valarauco, 'demon of might', the form in Quenya of 'Balrog'.
Old 11-04-2001, 03:49 PM   #25
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
But I think 'Maian' is actually too noble a word for the filthy things. 'Raucon' is better. 'Maiar' means 'the Beautiful'. A rauco was a 'powerful, hostile and terrible creature', translated 'demon' by Tolkien in Valarauco, 'demon of might', the form in Quenya of 'Balrog'.
I thought the Balrogs still counted as Maiar, although when becoming a sub-group they were called the Valaraukar. Where there also any sub-groups of the more pleasant Maiar?
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 03:54 PM   #26
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

All I meant was that 'Maia' is too pure a word to be used for a demon. The Balrogs were indeed Maiar, or fallen Maiar. The only 'good' sub-group of the Maiar I think anyone knows about are the Istari. Essays imply that the five who came to Middle-earth in the Second and Third Ages were not the only ones that existed.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:26 AM   #27
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Essays imply that the five who came to Middle-earth in the Second and Third Ages were not the only ones that existed.
Yes, I think I saw something somewhere about the five Istari being only the most important.
The full history would be something to learn!
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:33 PM   #28
Proudfoots
Sapling

Weirdest creature

Hands down it goes to the "wereworms" of the Last Desert in the Far East, as mentioned in The Hobbit.

Can you even imagine what the heck a "wereworm" looks like?

Devin
Proudfoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Welcome!

One might imagine a wereworm to be eight inchis long, named so by biologists because of it's unique fore-teeth and exceptional fur-like hair. So ... I'd rule the vague wereworms out on the basis of .. vagueness.

Edited: lol! I'm an idiot. Not having seen this topic in a while, I read the title as 'strongest of all Tolkien's creatures'. My description of wereworms to show they might not be too strong made them out to be very strange, didn't it?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:11 PM   #30
Proudfoots
Sapling

Wereworms

Well...the way Bilbo described them, wereworms were something fierce to be feared, as he held them up as an example of something he would face to prove his bravery.

I assume ICE's MERP dealt with wereworms in some fashion. Since I first read The Hobbit, circa 1972, I always pictured them as miniature versions of Dune sandworms with two human arms sticking out of them and a human head...an awfully lot like Leto III the God Emperor of Dune turned out to be.

Devin
Proudfoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:27 PM   #31
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Nazgul

Ungoliant was a physical manifestation of the Void, the opposite of Illuvatar. Probably just about the worst thing that ever existed. Morgoth + a bunch of Blargos were barely able to subdue her. I sort of think of Ungoliant and Shelob = Morgoth and Sauron in terms of their relationships with each other.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:53 AM   #32
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I don't know about you guys, but most everyone in middle earth say that the hobbits are the strangest as tales of their origins are hard to come by.

i disagree with my friend mr afro-elf. Entmooters are only strange here in the real world.

Perhaps if we trade places with the hobbits, everyone will be happy. Of course, they'll still find our names confusing...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 01-30-2002 at 09:02 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:22 AM   #33
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Re: Wereworms

Quote:
Originally posted by Proudfoots
Well...the way Bilbo described them, wereworms were something fierce to be feared, as he held them up as an example of something he would face to prove his bravery.

I assume ICE's MERP dealt with wereworms in some fashion. Since I first read The Hobbit, circa 1972, I always pictured them as miniature versions of Dune sandworms with two human arms sticking out of them and a human head...an awfully lot like Leto III the God Emperor of Dune turned out to be.

Devin
I had always imagined wereworms being simply lesser (but still terrible) dragons...
Dunno why, but idea of half human-half worm is too much for me to imagine (exept perhaps in sick dreams of H.P. Lovecraft, but he would had called them with different name).

I don't know what would be most strange creature of Tolkien...Perhaps the Watcher in the Water, the Kraken, was oddest. Unfortunately it isn't much known...
Only things we know of it was, that it was acient and powerful...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:52 PM   #34
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well...the way Bilbo described them, wereworms were something fierce to be feared, ...
Sure, but we know next to nothing about them. We can't say they're the strongest of Tolkien's creatures based upon the name (or even the context of that name entering into Bilbo's words).
Old 01-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #35
Mithrandir
Hobbit

Gandalf

For me, it would have to be the Ents. They are very strange indeed, but great at the same time!! Treebeard is actually one of my favourite characters, but still, their physical form is very unique
Old 02-01-2002, 06:22 AM   #36
athelas
Enting

It would have to be Gollum. Yessss preciousssss....him. The mutant hobbit. He talks in a weird manner, has split personalities and an addiction to fisssh and the One Ring. And he plays an important part in LotR, and is not just a flat, one-dimensional monster that the fellowship runs into that takes up at the most, a few pages.( think orcs) He bags the award for the strangest creature.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 07:41 PM   #37
The_Real_Legolas
Elven Warrior

Nazgul ????

how do u delete threads????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????:confused :

One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them
LEGOLAS ROCKS & so do I! GO ARCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The_Real_Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:00 PM   #38
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'm not sure what deleting posts has to do with this thread, but normal Members can't delete posts, only Moderators and Administrators can delete posts and threads.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 10:52 PM   #39
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I would have to say humans. Who would have thought of that?
J/K
I think that Ents would probably be the strangest. They were a funny crowd.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 02:15 AM   #40
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Beorn is kinda strange. I always wondered where he came from. Gollum is strange too, in a weird way.

But I think the award for Strangest Creature should go to Tom Bombadil. What a bizarre character! He doesn't quite fit in anywhere.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote