Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2003, 02:16 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
I wasn't planning on it.

I notice that one of your media types just handed in his resignation after making some comments about a black sportsman. Any comments? Should he have resigned?
It was his choice abotu resigning. However, I'm sure he was given an ultimatum. It depends on what he said - which would determine if he should resign or not. I haven't heard anything about it - since I have been away.

As said before reguarding your radio person -

Quote:
...does he do straight news or does he do editorial content. If he does straight news - then he should keep his opinions to himself. Editorializing though - is stating your opinions - even if people are outraged by them or offended.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:26 AM   #22
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Sorry, must have missed that.

He does both. On his radio show he does talk-back, and on his tv show he's a talking head. The comments were made on his radio show. (He's more well known for his tv show though.)
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:04 PM   #23
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Recently in my neck of the woods there have been two racist remarks by news reporters. One was fired and two others (they shared a show I suppose) got a 2 week suspension. There haven't been any protests, just a lot of upset people.

EDIT: Oh, I see one of them has already been mentioned

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 10-07-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:57 PM   #24
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
But farmers in general need to smarten up - just recently we found out that our biggest lake (lake Taupo) has about 80 years worth of alkalis that the farmers have been dumping indirectly (by not having appropriate run-offs.) So Lake Taupo is going to be full of crap for the next 80+ years.
Ah, that's too bad! Lake Taupo's so pretty - I remember watching the winter sun dance on it.

At least your government recognizes the need to have taxes if they want money.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:34 AM   #25
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn

haha!
Old 10-12-2003, 11:35 AM   #26
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
YOu know what helps the government from raising taxes - controlling spending. Look at the MANY ridiculous projects that Robert Byrd gets passed in Congress for West Virginia and other congressman get passed for their states. Do you know you are paying for a tourist attraction in Pennsylvania - because a congressman from there threw it into a spending bill?

The problem with government is that they have easy money. When they over spend - they can just tax the people, when they have surplus of OUR money - they don't return it as a refund - they SPEND it. It's MY money - NOT the governments. I'm the one who WORKED for it.

As C-Span defines "Pork Barrel Spending" -
Quote:
"Pork barrel" came into use as a political term in the post-Civil War era. It comes from the plantation practice of distributing rations of salt pork to slaves from wooden barrels. When used to describe a bill, it implies the legislation is loaded with special projects for Members of Congress to distribute to their constituents back home as an act of largesse, courtesy of the federal taxpayer.
How Congressional Earmarks and Pork-Barrel Spending Undermine State and Local Decisionmaking
PORK BARREL SPENDING GROWS, March 2001
Quote:
Pork-barrel spending is still pork, regardless of local benefit - Portsmouth Herald, Feb 2003

...New Hampshire’s own senior senator, Judd Gregg, is constantly sending out press releases announcing he has gained more federal money for this or that project. The latest announcement came last week and indicated Gregg had secured almost three-quarters-of-a-million dollars for two projects here in Portsmouth; $450,000 for the construction of the Piscataqua Riverwalk and $270,000 for the expansion of an exhibition facility at Strawbery Banke....

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-12-2003 at 11:53 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote