Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #341
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Hi, all.
I see the storm has abated. Not that I am happy with the solution, but peace is better then war.
I loved your last posts, Shah, CS, Lotesse and TD. Hope Rian will come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
And will Lilly, that canny redhead, be willing to hire a young lady for that position that has a rather lightweight resume? Or does she see certain ... advantages ... in having someone around who wouldn't recognize a less-than-kosher household setup?
I think so. That is really going to be a haunted house, a REGULAR haunted house... I think Lil would have preferred a 100% human, but well, she is in a hurry. Khamul ordered her to set the household right, and Khamul, our Second to the Chief, doesn't repeat his orders twice.
I trust you, CS, to give Rian really wierd household instructions .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Now we wait for Rian to get hired, and Viv's gonna have to get ready for school, plus she's going out later on to do some private re-con of her own around town and campus. She LOVES to sneak around, and very little escapes her attention, VERY little. She sees something she doesn't care for, it's goin' DOWN! There's a liitle mystery 4 ya
Lotesse, please, could you wait with this shedule for Viv till Sunday (in the RPG) and most likely till Monday in RL? I sort of planned to present you all to the Arch-Chancellor on Saturday (i.e. tomorrow in RL), before Val gets his reception. If you agree, I will post a lead.

Now a nagging comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Here is a v. short bio for him.

Born in Rhûn, is father was a Numenorean killed in the Last Alliance fighting for Anarion and his mother is an Easterling. Named Galadannun, Light of the West, by his mother in rememberance of his father but was afterwards named Khamûl, Shadow of the East, by Sauron when rendered into his services.
Please, realize, TD, that all this story is a fake story. Khamul has already been a nazgul for about 1500 years by the time of our story. So it is "before" not "afterwards". What was he as a living man, back in the Second Age? Nobody knows. But I imagine him a ruler of Khand, sort of Timur or Chingiz-Khan of the East.

By the way, here is a nice picture of Chingiz-Khan:
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...z-Khan&spell=1

CS, I liked the second picture of Gor better. BB finds the picture not enough sexy; but Gor is not overmuch sexy, not in a way of Lily, that is. She is quiet and cold, and sophisticated - a REFINED beauty.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #342
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Lotesse, please, could you wait with this shedule for Viv till Sunday (in the RPG) and most likely till Monday in RL? I sort of planned to present you all to the Arch-Chancellor on Saturday (i.e. tomorrow in RL), before Val gets his reception. If you agree, I will post a lead.
Absolutely, no problem! Just wanted to throw that out there, in case any "blobs" get any fancy ideas...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #343
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Here's another 2 Viv pics:

http://www.jnautographs.com/captures...Bacall1906.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://adorocinema.cidadeinternet.co...n-bacall01.jpg

I wish i knew how to use Adobe photoshop so I could do the eyes and darken & shorten the hair.

Grey Wolf, TD, are you guys gonna show us your character faces? I still LOVE the young Omar Sharif idea, except w/out that moustache. Anyway, I am an Omar Sharif fan, so...

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #344
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Great, Gordie, I am looking forward to your post and the meeting with the Arch-Chancellor. My heart beats faster ...

Lotesse, the first picture is just perfect. I can do whatever you like in Photoshop with it, only the picture allowed as an attachment here is soo small, the color of your eyes will be lost anyway...

I go hire Rian...
Great post, Rian, I loved it.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #345
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Yes, thanx Rian! The game's gettin' better & better...

CS - yeah, you're right, it'll be difficult to see the colour. Well - Viv's eyes are even a bit bigger than Lauren Bacall's, anyway, but the pics I put up thus far I think are enough for everyone to get the idea of how she appears, by now.

Gordis - I can't wait, either! Really looking forward 2 this! can'waitcan'twait...

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #346
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

thanks, guys (did you like the adhesive part? )

*goes to read the thread*

OK, will get a response up hopefully before the weekend's over - gtg now. I'll ponder my backstory in the meantime. I've already run a few ideas by Eärniel and she thought they were OK, so I'll work on a bio and run it by you guys. It involves some, er, slight additions to the Tolkien canon, but I think it's not incompatible with it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-10-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #347
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hey you guys! I wanted some Tharbad pics, so I found these for us all to see:

http://couroberon.free.fr/Images/Gal...nt/tharbad.jpg

http://asp.merp.com/images/tharbad_map.jpg

http://fremen.it/eriador/immagini/sc02Tharbad.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

CS - Cool post - Man, I love Lilly; she really doesn't f*** around! A chilling Nazgul par exemplar...

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #348
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Very nice pictures. May I ask where you found #1?

Can anyone give me even a very general population number for Tharbad? It would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Ah, Valandil, you're online . The very man. There's a political issue that needs resolution, and also you're about to receive word of a newcomer at the gate seeking your private ear.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-10-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:12 AM   #349
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, fellow rpg-ers, I need to run something by you guys before I can answer Lilly's penetrating question to rpg-RÃ*an. It was a very good question, and I have to complete most of my backstory to answer it, so here are my two thoughts:

I just adore Gondolin, and the Fall of Gondolin is one of my favorite stories (and what made me fall in love with Tuor! which was the beginning of many girlfights with Eärniel over him )

(yes, RÃ*an is Tuor's mommy, but that's not why I chose the name for my Entmoot name! I chose RÃ*an because I always liked the way it sounded and looked, and it was short enough so that people didn't need to abbreviate it. THEN about a year later, I think, I read FoG (Fall of Gondolin) and just fell in love with Tuor, that stud-muffin! What a guy! Oh, sorry, I digress...)

ANYWAY - so I always wanted a character from Gondolin.

And when I hit 500 posts (lo these many moons ago ) I chose "Halfelven" as my user title because I love Tolkien's works so much, and especially the elven legendarium, that sometimes I feel part elven. (don't call the men with white coats; I know I'm not REALLY part elven ) Then later I changed it to "Halfelven Queen of Rabbit Trails" because I love following discussions down various rabbit trails here!

SO, for this rpg, I thought I'd keep the halfelven idea, and keep the name RÃ*an, and make her another person - NOT the Tuor's mom RÃ*an.

*swats Eärniel away from Tuor*

So here's my two options for her background:

Option 1 - This is the one I like, but it involves an additional child for Tuor and Idril. As I imagine many of you know, the RÃ*an in the book (Tuor's mum) died of grief when Tuor was just a wee laddie, because of her husband dying in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad . She left Tuor to be fostered by the Grey-elves of Mithrim, and went to the Haudh-en-Ndengin and died of grief. So what I was thinking of was that before Eärendil was born, a little girl was born to Tuor and Idril. Tuor named her RÃ*an, after his mother, and told her when she was old enough to understand that his mother's life was cut short by the terrible grief of the Arnoediad, and he vowed to name his first daughter after his mother and pray to Eru that she would have a happier life than his mother, and conquer her difficulties, and somehow hurt evil as it had hurt his mother. The age would work out, because Eärendil was 7 at the FoG, so RÃ*an would be old enough to remember the place.

(con't)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-11-2005, 02:23 AM   #350
Rían

That, of course, would make RÃ*an incredibly old, and it would make her "royal" in a sense (the granddaughter of Turgon, king of Gondolin). Neither of these things matter to me - I can take them or leave them - but this is the option I think I prefer if you guys can swallow the "older sister of Eärendil" idea. If not, I can TOTALLY understand!

So basically RÃ*an has chosen to be a wanderer, to kind of search the world over looking for some of her friends (she's heard rumors from other wanderers). She stayed with her people for many years, helping those who were hurt and trying to rebuilt their little community and remember their culture, but after a long while, decided that she couldn't find peace there and started her wanderings. Also, she wanted to investigate her human side more - there was just something among the elves that was lacking...

Option 2 - She's simply a RÃ*an from Gondolin - no connection to Tuor (we can "forget" that Tuor's mum was named RÃ*an). This still makes her incredibly old, but not "royal" (which I don't care either way about), and does NOT add a sibling for Eärendil, but DOES add another elf-human marriage, which Tolkien didn't seem to like a whole lot of. This would make things easier in a lot of ways, tho - the whole Tuor/Idril thing might be hard to juggle. I might prefer this option, after all! She would just be a "commoner", but from the wonderful city of Gondolin. And the rest would be the same - one of the refugees; stayed to help for many years; couldn't find peace; decided to wander and investigate more about humans, etc.

SO - what do you guys think? Again, I'm a real rookie at this, and appreciate suggestions. Also, I totally would honor if any of you just cringe at the thought of Eärendil having an older sister! and would go to option 2 without a murmur.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:32 AM   #351
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I like Option #2, Rian. Very nice explanations & biographical history, BTW; I can tell you've put a great deal of careful thought into it and it shows a lot of class, very nice. Thank you 4 that! Yeah, I like #2 better for all the reasons you put and then some. You DO appear young, though, correct? I'm up way past my bed-time and am kinda foggy in the brain, but I'm just imagining Rian as a young half-elven maiden-type when she comes to our Nazgul home. Are you still gonna look the same? Can you show us a pic, and stuff like that?

Old 09-11-2005, 02:34 AM   #352
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It'll be very interesting for you, playing such an old character. I never worked up the nerve to try that- plus I love humans. RÃ*an will have a very interesting perspective on life. Galadriel also was supposed to be extremely old, though of course at the same time young. It will be an interesting challenge for you to play such a character. Good luck!

I personally would be fine with your taking either option.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-11-2005, 02:40 AM   #353
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel

Lotesse and TD - good posts, as usual. I hope GW appears soon. I feel Five gets tired to be manipulated by Lilly.
GW you never told us, do you want to look as Omar Sharif?

Omar will do nicely.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:47 AM   #354
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
You DO appear young, though, correct?
Absolutely! As far as I know, a 300-year-old elven maiden looks the same as a 3000-year-old-plus elven maiden.

Whew, a pic? I don't know where to look, but I'll sleep on it - bed time for me, too!

So far, a "don't care" and an option 2 preference... I"m leaning towards option 2 myself, altho I really wanted to throw in a reference to great-great-great (is that enough back?) uncle Fëanor's feisty temper, which occasionally pops out and causes trouble ...

Old 09-11-2005, 02:49 AM   #355
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
hope my recent post was ok.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:52 AM   #356
Rían

(here's from FOTR - a description of Galadriel, who is incredibly old!)

Quote:
from FOTR
...but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory.
and RÃ*an wouldn't be as old as Galadriel.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:56 AM   #357
Rían

Just found a really cool pic of Luthien and Huan-

here

I wouldn't mind looking like that!

(the GIRL, silly, not the DOG!)

Last edited by Rían : 09-11-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:03 AM   #358
Rían

(can't get it working - well, follow the link, then scroll down to the thumbnail of Luthien and Huan, then click it)

edit - got it working!

Last edited by Rían : 09-11-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 AM   #359
CrazySquirrel

Hi, Rian,
May I suggest something?

I think the first story is not good just because of the reasons you listed yourself. Undoubtedly, an older sister of Earendil would be not only royal, she would be almost DIVINE. (A sister of the star!) Such a Lady would be received with open arms in Rivendell or in Belfalas, where Galadriel dwells, or in ANY kingdoms of Numenorean men. She would wear jewels and give orders. She would be almost worshipped. Just imagine Val's meeting with Earendil's sister! He will fall to his knees and kiss your hand, I bet. IF a Lady like that went missing, all the relatives in Rivendell would be seeking for her far and wide.

Rian of this RPG looks for a position to earn a little money, even if it means going into probable peril. It just doesn't fit.

And your crash on Tuor doesn't sound like filial love at all.

Your second story involves another man-elf marriage and makes you again highly unusual and easily traceable. And your connection to Tuor is lost, and that's a pity.

So my suggestion (and it is for that RPG only) is like that:

You are not half-elven, but a 100% Elf, born in Gondolin (not in Aman). That makes you not unusual. The young she-elf loved Tuor, but he has fallen in love with Idril. So you pine for him all your life. That will give you plenty of opportunity to express your feelings, in dreams etc.

The rest of your story is OK, you wandered, healed people etc. And, pining for Tuor, you liked to dwell in human settlements, as the Numenorean men reminded you of him...But living among Men involves earning money in some way. Hence your responce to the AD.

About your name. All elves have at least two names. Galadriel had at least three. (+Artanis and an another one, I forgot it). So you could have easily taken the name of Tuor's mother to use among humans. After all, he used to speak a lot about his mom, didn't he?

Of course, it involves editing slightly your previous posts. But you really care about men, so you are in a way in both worlds still.

All is up to you, Rian. I will accept any of the stories you chose without objecting. I hope you will not mind my advice. The decision is yours.
CS

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 09-11-2005 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Added the part about name "Rian"
Old 09-11-2005, 03:30 AM   #360
CrazySquirrel

Oh, GW! You are with us again! We are happy, Lilly and I
Sure your post was OK, what can there be wrong in having a drink at noon?

You may also tell what you think about Rian's appearence. She is a looker, and I bet you have already wandered invisible into the sitting-room to have a look at her, as Vivvi also did, I believe. Therefore I mentioned "invisible eyes following her every move".
We can turn fully visible or fully invisible, including clothes we wear, as we have our Rings. But we don't reflect in mirrors...
So, did you like the new applicant for the housekeeper position?

Re:Omar Sharif - do you like him with or without mustache?
Closed Thread