Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #341
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

ok sane is that redplate really dead? im getting comfused now

well coffeehouse i did not mean any offence i was just trying to offer a different way of looking at a situation. take from it want you will i am sure you and quickleaf will be missed.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #342
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Okay, for the record: Quickleaf has died once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I retired him back in September but that was because I didn't think I would be posting so much at Entmoot. I didn't kill him though... I left it open. Other than that Quickleaf was blind. But being blind isn't being dead

If you want to call my character or any other character an idiot, sure go ahead, but I'm not going to stick around when I read "an arrogant idiot elf". Doesn't look very intelligent and it's not very nice This has nothing to do with characterizations in general, but with words you use. Idiot is insulting and clearly my first reaction (Wow) wasn't good enough.
I'm sorry if I offended you with that comment. Still doesn't make sense that you killed him off because of that.

I'm not trying to convince you to edit your post. It was nice playing with you.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #343
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

No Faewen. "Dead in the water" is a saying which more or less means "Not going anywhere."
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #344
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I'm sorry if I offended you with that comment. Still doesn't make sense that you killed him off because of that.

I'm not trying to convince you to edit your post. It was nice playing with you.
Apology accepted i guess. It's just disappointing (and don't misunderstand, I think you're a cool girl)

These 'idiot' comments leaves me completely uninterested, so I figure why narrate a character who seems just an idiot and whom Feawen writes that she does not even really understand why Nami likes him. So what is it? What kind of story am I supposed to write for Quickleaf if he's just an idiot to the rest? Sure the elf seems to fall into a few odd situations at times but he's a lot more than that.

I see some think this is just a faint-hearted reaction but let me explain okay, so you guys understand why I'm reacting this way (this would have been easier to explain in Norwegian!): When I'm making posts in in Long Lost Leaves I really have to spend time trying to think of something creative to contribute with (Maybe some here find it easy to write a post, I don't) or else people will just doze off while reading it, so when Me9996, who hasn't been around much since before I joined, comes along and seems to be writing again and asks who Quickleaf is the first answer he gets is an 'arrogant idiot elf.. full stop'.... that just leaves me exhasperated. Why bother??
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #345
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Coffeehouse, I suspect the comment that instigated this argument was not meant to taken altogether seriously, and perhaps an emoticon to indicate that would have been appropriate.

At any rate, you have one more chance to re-think killing him off. Water is actually a very good shield against weapons like arrows and even bullets from very high powered guns and you wrote you character as being several feet beneath the surface: deep enough under water that the arrows could not have reached, much less killed him. I do hope you take the oppurtunity to edit and rejoin the living.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #346
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Willow's right. You don't know me in real life and I forgot this. I should have used a smilie. I'm rarely serious in RL, let alone online.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #347
Mari
Elf Lady

Your contributions ARE appreciated. I would like for you to stay.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #348
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

thanks for explaining sane i took dead in the water literaly! we need to get redplate interacting again!

coffee house i am sorry if you took my dont know why nami likes him comment as true i thought the use of a face would have shown this to be a joke. i would have thought you would have gone on our pm's concerning quickleaf and nami to see that i am interested in writing further about the two.

but can we all think about our glorious leader for a moment. she puts a lot of work into LLL and it would be a shame for it to suffer because of a misunderstanding.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #349
Coffeehouse

No sorry Feawen.. this whole thing just killed it for me, but you people have fun with the rest of the story I'm sure Eärniel has plenty of twists coming up and Quickleaf will just be a once-was memory
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #350
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, Coffeehouse, I'm sad to see you and Quickleaf go in this fashion. I may not entirely agree with your reasons and the manner, but RPG should in the first place be to enjoy yourself and if that's gone, I understand you'd rather quit. And despite everyone asking you to reconsider, I see you've set your mind on it. It's a pity, but your character, your choice. I do like to see you again in RPG's at some other time then.

I'm going to leave your character's demise open-ended, though, by not finding the body. Your character has been hit, whether it was fatal, has not been said, the river has carried him away, but there is nothing that said he drowned. While the others will consider you dead, you still have the chance to return Quickleaf later, should you rediscover your taste for playing him in LLL again.

As for the others, misunderstandings do happen even in the best of RPG's. It's a pity we couldn't set it right again, but I won't blame anyone for it and I'd like you all to neither blame yourself or anyone else. I understand this puts a bit of a damper on it for everyone, especially if your character interacted a lot with Quickleaf, but I'm hoping all of you will still want to continue. There will be no hard feelings if you don't, but ya'know as game leader, I'd really, really, really like all of you to stay.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #351
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
While the others will consider you dead, you still have the chance to return Quickleaf later, should you rediscover your taste for playing him in LLL again.
I guess we'll see whether that crazy elf shows up dead or.. not dead.. someplace, sometime.. in the future.. (though I'm fairly sure those arrows got the better of him).

I have no idea if I feel like contributing later on but I realize it might be hard to steer away forever with all these inviting comments=)

Two ambiguous statements, but hey we're in Tolkien's world right
Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #352
Coffeehouse

Bad conscience and song inspiration

Hah.. I gotta laugh....... this didn't take very long (i have serious problems being mad for more than a few hours.. alas). Was listening to some West Afriacn music while I was reading now and this very exotic sounding name in the song struck a note in my head.

Anycase I feel a bit of a guilt to my fellow country'girl' Varnafindë.. I've promised her more than twice I think that our two characters interact and so quitting on that does not feel very good

So back to the song I heard, ah yes I'ev already told Varna about the beginning of a storyplot that I originally had planned to execute once we reached the River Carnen. But this West African (I don't know which language it is) word has kind of... inspired me to write a plot in LLL

But as so often happens in life when your into ending something out of interest or out of want you suddenly think about all the other things that make it interesting still.

So Varnafindë I understand interacting with Baru now is going to be problematic being that Quickleaf is naerly dead in the water (and who knows where in the river he's at?).. but my great intent is to reach the Company one way or another.

------
(Varnafindë: det er godt det er en nordmann her som kan tunge ned vektskåla litt i LLL's favør.. ikke at du har sagt så mye men jeg har ombestemt meg. Jeg er med allikevel selv om det nå virker som om jeg er helt schizo ved å snu på hælen så raskt)
------

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 03-12-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Tried adding two pictures of a dhow, but didn't work... is IMG /IMG disable or something?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #353
Earniel

Do you intend to take this Aladji fellow as your new character? In that case I'd like a profile and a position where he is relative to the company, if you please.

And could you perhaps PM me with the details of this plot you had planned at the Carnen river? I've prepared some plot there myself and I'd like both to even out.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #354
Coffeehouse

I don't know the English word for it, but Aladji is like a 'side-character', with no plot of his own, but added story-wise.. how do I explain this.

Let me put it like this. I only ever had one main character and that hasn't changed.

About the plot your planning, I don't think this will have any bearing on it. In any case I'll write you a pm once I've figured out the next few posts. In any case the plot at the Carnen river was something I was thinking of before all of this happened, so now it won't take place there but in the Celduin, west (upriver) of where the fighting of the canoe-thieves and the Raft-Elves/Company is taking place.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #355
Mari
Elf Lady

Aladji = Haradrim? *perks up*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #356
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Aladji = Haradrim? *perks up*
Yeah.. close! good guess.. and there might be something to that
Old 03-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #357
Earniel

Quote:
I don't know the English word for it, but Aladji is like a 'side-character', with no plot of his own, but added story-wise.. how do I explain this.

Let me put it like this. I only ever had one main character and that hasn't changed.

About the plot your planning, I don't think this will have any bearing on it. In any case I'll write you a pm once I've figured out the next few posts. In any case the plot at the Carnen river was something I was thinking of before all of this happened, so now it won't take place there but in the Celduin, west (upriver) of where the fighting of the canoe-thieves and the Raft-Elves/Company is taking place.
Ah, I think I understand what you mean. Very well.

One tiny nitpick, if he's upriver from the fight, the blood he's smelling and seeing can't be Quickleaf's, unless you of course had another source in mind for it.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #358
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Ah, I think I understand what you mean. Very well.

One tiny nitpick, if he's upriver from the fight, the blood he's smelling and seeing can't be Quickleaf's, unless you of course had another source in mind for it.
I have noooo idea what you're insinuating Well it does belong to someone in the fight, since you see Aladji has reached the point where the first arrows from the Raft-Elves/Company began maiming (maybe I'm the only one thinking so but I'm picturing that the fighting is happening while both sides are constantly on the move), so he's not that far behind.

I realise that brings up the question of the canoe-thieves having passed Aladji before they attacked the Fellowship. Well let's just say the traveler camped up hidden somewhere along the river and that they passed him during the night.

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 03-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #359
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
But as so often happens in life when your into ending something out of interest or out of want you suddenly think about all the other things that make it interesting still.

So Varnafindë I understand interacting with Baru now is going to be problematic being that Quickleaf is naerly dead in the water (and who knows where in the river he's at?).. but my great intent is to reach the Company one way or another.
If Quickleaf, nearly dead in the water, still intends to reach the Company after all, Baru will be there waiting for him

I suggest you edit your post and remove those two clauses telling the details of where the arrows hit him - this would leave it more open-ended and have it make more sense when he survives after all.

And I'm not going to have Baru use a Narnian cordial on him - it would make her too Mary-Sue-ish.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #360
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
If Quickleaf, nearly dead in the water, still intends to reach the Company after all, Baru will be there waiting for him

I suggest you edit your post and remove those two clauses telling the details of where the arrows hit him - this would leave it more open-ended and have it make more sense when he survives after all.

And I'm not going to have Baru use a Narnian cordial on him - it would make her too Mary-Sue-ish.
I guess hitting the lungs and heart is sort of fatal so you're right. I'll edit it=) *p.s. watch out for the details in the edited post*

The Narnia cordial thing is *swoosh* over my head because I've never read it

Okay so the 'Quickleaf-getting-shot' post is now edited

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 03-12-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Closed Thread