Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #341
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Not weak at all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin II
I vote for Gil-galad. He wasn't as powerful as some of his predecessors, but I respect him for leading the Elves even as they started to decline. I don't think many (or any) of the previous High Kings would've formed an alliance with Men.
My fellow "Tolkienite" Thorin II, Erienion Gil-galad was the latest but far from the weekest of the high kings of the Eldar. At the very least he was as powerful as his father Fingon the valiant and certainly stronger of will than Turgon who at the sack of his city gave up and allowed it to be razed without further effort on his part to prevent it; Erienion fought to the death. Aeglos had the mastery remember. Not because he was more recent makes him any less. He was a scion of kings and Elrond was his herald; do you doubt that Elrond the wise was less than any of the greatest of the kings of old; I think not.

Gil-galad was my king, I remember rushing the walls and...no more. Alas, it was a dark day, a bloody day; Anarion had fallen but a little while before.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #342
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
At the very least he was as powerful as his father Fingon the valiant .
But it turns out that Fingon was not the father of Gil-galad. Fingon had no children, and Gilgalad was the son of Orodreth. Orodreth turns out to be the son of Angrod instead of his brother. Of course this takes nothing away from what you have said about Gil-galad.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #343
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Whaaaa!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
But it turns out that Fingon was not the father of Gil-galad. Fingon had no children, and Gilgalad was the son of Orodreth. Orodreth turns out to be the son of Angrod instead of his brother. Of course this takes nothing away from what you have said about Gil-galad.
Now I have a copy of the silmarillion right here and in the family tree as well as within the text itself it clearly says that Erienion was the son of Fingon. I have read the lost tales and such and I have seen thing s concerning galadriel and maglor that would suggest if Tolkien had time, the fates would have been different. But even Christopher Tolkien said that what is published in the Silmarillion is the the official timeline and any of the other stuff he could not include because he was not sure wiether or not his faher would have entered them in the main body. Why did you say what you said, I found it quite interesting.

"Of course this takes nothing away from what you have said about Gil-galad."

Thanks for agreeing.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #344
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
Now I have a copy of the silmarillion right here and in the family tree as well as within the text itself it clearly says that Erienion was the son of Fingon. I have read the lost tales and such and I have seen thing s concerning galadriel and maglor that would suggest if Tolkien had time, the fates would have been different. But even Christopher Tolkien said that what is published in the Silmarillion is the the official timeline and any of the other stuff he could not include because he was not sure wiether or not his faher would have entered them in the main body. Why did you say what you said, I found it quite interesting.

"Of course this takes nothing away from what you have said about Gil-galad."

Thanks for agreeing.
In the last three volumes of the Histories of Middle-earth series, Christopher Tolkien points out several mistakes made in editing the Silmarillion. Some of these mistakes were due to mis-interpretation of illegable notes made by his father. One of the biggest made was the parentage of Gil-galad and Orodreth.

If I can find a minute sometime today, I will try to look up the text from the HoMe and post it here. I'm not even sure which of the 3 books it is in. I think it may be Morgoth's Ring, but I'm not positive.

If you have the last three volumes of the HoMe: (Morgoth's Ring; War of the Jewels- which is the Later Silmarillion, and The Peoples of Middle-earth,) you will find many corrections that CT has made and how his father really meant for the Silmarillion to be.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #345
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

slight deviation, but do any of you think Chistopher will do a second addition of the sil, and correct the mistakes he made?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #346
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
slight deviation, but do any of you think Chistopher will do a second addition of the sil, and correct the mistakes he made?
No. He has already discussed that. Editing the Sil was a major task. He chose to make all the corrections to any mistakes made within it, in the HoMe, the Later Silmarillion.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #347
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #348
Ellf
Hobbit

I would have to say Ingwe. The King of the Vanyar and high king of all Elves.

After him I would say Finwe, Feanor's father.
Ellf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #349
Tulkas
Hobbit

felagun is definatly the greatest elf-king.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #350
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Feanor. Notwithstanding that he nearly led the Noldor to ruin in the short time he was King, one can hardly name a King, or an Elf, for that matter, who accomplished more.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #351
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelyafinweMaitimo
Feanor. Notwithstanding that he nearly led the Noldor to ruin in the short time he was King, one can hardly name a King, or an Elf, for that matter, who accomplished more.
Yes!!! Yes, good call. Most definitely Feanor.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #352
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Greetings

I would have to choose between 3. My first choice would be Gil-Galad, then Finrod Felagund would be a very close second. The third would be Turgon of Gondolin.
Belwen_of_nargothrond is offline   Reply With Quote