Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:18 PM   #281
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

k, here it goes - What is the name of Azog's son?
Old 12-04-2003, 05:20 PM   #282
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Bolg
Old 12-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #283
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Correct.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:24 PM   #284
Imric
Hobbit

Edit-I see that someone else has posted the answer before me.

Last edited by Imric : 12-04-2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:32 PM   #285
Valandil

Strider

Imric - why don't you go ahead. It's always nice to get more people in on our game... and besides, I also just won the 'right / duty' to ask a question in another thread.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 AM   #286
Valandil

Strider

Well, Imric didn't take me up on the offer, so:

When the Numenoreans borrowed the "week" from the Elves, what two changes did they make to it?

(HINT: one was very significant, one was minor)
Old 12-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #287
Imric
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Imric - why don't you go ahead. It's always nice to get more people in on our game... and besides, I also just won the 'right / duty' to ask a question in another thread.
I'm sorry but I couldn't think of a good puzzler to ask.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #288
Valandil

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Imric
I'm sorry but I couldn't think of a good puzzler to ask.
No prob - you'll get the hang of it. Maybe review this or other 'trivia' threads to see what kinds of questions are asked. And while we MOSTLY try to answer without looking things up (it's more OK to look-up in THIS trivia thread, because most answers are not the kinds of things you just remember), however, you just about HAVE to peruse a book to ask a question - to make sure you get it right for one thing.

Good to have you around!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:23 PM   #289
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Well, Imric didn't take me up on the offer, so:

When the Numenoreans borrowed the "week" from the Elves, what two changes did they make to it?

(HINT: one was very significant, one was minor)
First change was making a week 7 days as opposed to 6 days.

The other change was that the days were marked from Sunrise to Sunrise and out of the East, as opposed to Sunset to Sunset out of the West...

Right?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #290
Valandil

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
First change was making a week 7 days as opposed to 6 days.

The other change was that the days were marked from Sunrise to Sunrise and out of the East, as opposed to Sunset to Sunset out of the West...

Right?
Actually you ARE right, but:

Do you remember what the seventh day was named for?

Also, I was thinking of another minor one - it has to do with tweaking on the meaning of one day... remember it?

I wasn't thinking of the sunrise/sunset thing - very good!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #291
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Actually you ARE right, but:

Do you remember what the seventh day was named for?

Also, I was thinking of another minor one - it has to do with tweaking on the meaning of one day... remember it?

I wasn't thinking of the sunrise/sunset thing - very good!
7th day was named in honor of the Sea, or a "Sea-Day". They also altered the 4th day to refer to the White Tree...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #292
Valandil

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
7th day was named in honor of the Sea, or a "Sea-Day". They also altered the 4th day to refer to the White Tree...
Yes, now FULLY correct... sorry to 'put you through your paces' so to speak!

Because the Numenoreans were great mariners, they inserted the "Sea Day" (I guess it's actually the 6th in their order - or Thursday - but was between the Elves' 5th & 6th).

Their Tuesday or "Tree's Day" referred to the One White Tree (of Numenor) rather than the Two Trees of Valinor - as the Elves' Tuesday did.

Now you may go...
Old 12-06-2003, 12:23 AM   #293
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Where were the Three Rings of the Elven-smiths made?

--Linaewen
Old 12-06-2003, 12:27 AM   #294
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Eregion/Hollin

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:30 AM   #295
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Correctamundo

--Linaewen
Old 12-06-2003, 01:07 AM   #296
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

[Shamelessly stolen from RobRoy at Sf-Fandom]

Okey dokey, try this. Who was Gimli's great-great-grandfather?

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:16 AM   #297
Valandil

Strider

Nain?

(that was a total guess without checking the charts... I remember he's in an offshoot of the line of heirs, so I figure gr-gr-gramps was probably a king, and those dwarves just repeated the same names so much!!! )
Old 12-06-2003, 11:12 AM   #298
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Nope

Old 12-06-2003, 11:45 AM   #299
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Borin? (Ok, I checked... )
Old 12-06-2003, 12:40 PM   #300
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Yep, Gimli son of Gloin son of Groin son of Farin son or Borin.

Yer up (And I checked too, RobRoy seems to have stumped the panel over at SF-Fandom. Our rules require two days to pass before looking something up, so it hasn't been answered yet)

Closed Thread