Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #281
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

*mutters*
unless you miss your plane, get caught in a hurricane, move up the wedding, catch a bad cold, mislay your voting card, have to drive a friend to the hospital... *sigh*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #282
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Lol... well, for legal reasons the wedding CAN'T be moved up... even if the plane was missed I have plenty of time to catch another flight, there aren't any hurricanes in the forecast, a cold would not stop me from going out, I will safety pin my voting card to my shirt, and I don't have any friends ^^

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #283
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Don't forget guys, that we have this excellent thread to discuss voting in the USA's upcoming election.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-02-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #284
inked
Elf Lord

Does the genetically distinct and physiologically separate individual arising from the fusion of the gametes and happening to reside in the female get a vote?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #285
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Can it express its opinion in any way?

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #286
katya
Elven Maiden

And is it of legal voting age?
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #287
inked
Elf Lord

As this (hypothetical) individual is, we all were. As we are, so shall this one be if it is given O2, H2O, and nutrients.

Are all individuals under voting age subject to parental death decrees on that account?

When is the individual worthy of life if not from conception onward, when it begins? Why?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #288
katya
Elven Maiden

I just watched a video of Palin saying that she thinks abortion is wrong even in the cases of incest and rape, and everyone seemed to think that was really extremist and stupid, but I have to say, I understand where she's coming from a little bit. I think if you're anti-abortion you should be anti-abortion under all circumstances. It's still a life regardless of what circumstances brought it about. I can't see being generally anti-abortion except when it'll cause the woman more pain than normal, because I don't think you can make qualitative judgments like that based just on whether it was rape or not. I think that if you think it's ok to have an abortion in cases of rape and incest you should just allow it in all cases.

That said, I'm pro-choice. I just felt like sharing that with you. I don't know if it's already been brought up or not.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #289
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress_Flynn View Post
I think the issue with that is... it's not men who have to go through the actual carrying of the child or the birth... ultimately the reasoning behind the legality of abortion is that it's a woman's right to choose what she wants to do with her body...

So that same logic can't really apply to a man because it's not a man's right to choose what to do with a woman's body...

That's just from a legal standpoint though...
I'm just curious because a lot of the abortion debate revolves around guilt. Those against trying to make the mother feel guilty about making the choice to abort while giving a free ride to the father.

In fact, both those for and against abortion really don't care what the father prefers one way or another.

For those that are pro abortion, the body logic makes sense. But, for those that are against, what it really says is that they don't care all that much about anything but the child.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #290
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
:
:
For those that are pro abortion, the body logic makes sense. But, for those that are against, what it really says is that they don't care all that much about anything but the child.
Why do you say that? Nobody is suggesting that we kill the mother (or anyone else) - while the pro-abortion people are all on board with killing the baby.

Those of us who are pro-life simply want to protect the innocent, and speak up for those who have no voice.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #291
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Why do you say that? Nobody is suggesting that we kill the mother (or anyone else) - while the pro-abortion people are all on board with killing the baby.
Of course, if pro-choice people thought the baby actually was a baby, as in, a person, then we wouldn't be pro-choice. I personally do not see the fetus as being a person. Killing a person, I'm sure we can all agree, would be horrific.

So, "no one is suggesting we kill the mother," is beside the point in this debate. We all agree that pregnant women are people. What we do not agree on is if a fetus is a person.

This is the fundamental difference between pro-life and pro-choice and one that can never be reconciled. If the fetus is a person, it would be wrong to kill it. If the fetus is not a person, it would be wrong to deny women choices over what to do with their own body. Of course the debate isn't really that simple, but this is the foundation of it all.

Quote:
Those of us who are pro-life simply want to protect the innocent, and speak up for those who have no voice.
This makes complete sense when one feels that the fetus is a person. Though I don't agree, I respect pro-life's stance on the issue - it's the only logical one if a fetus is a person.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 10-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #292
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm not sure you can be so cut and dried about it, Nurv. People who are "against killing people" may still be supportive of soldiers. They may still support the death penalty. They may oppose laws for gun safety that permit murders to occur. They may accept killing in self-defense. They may honor DNR orders.

It's not as simple as "all cells are baby, therefore losing cells is either death of baby or homicide".

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #293
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Nurv's post didn't seem that cut and dried to me. What both of you said is true and not contradictory.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 10-03-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #294
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Of course, if pro-choice people thought the baby actually was a baby, as in, a person, then we wouldn't be pro-choice.

This makes complete sense when one feels that the fetus is a person. Though I don't agree, I respect pro-life's stance on the issue - it's the only logical one if a fetus is a person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Nurv's post didn't seem that cut and dried to me. What both of you said is true and not contradictory.
I was replying to these two ideas, Jonathan. Being pro-choice doesn't necessarily imply only one idea about "where life begins." Plenty of practicing Catholics and other people of faith are pro-choice.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #295
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
:
:
I just think the unborn baby deserves the benefit of the doubt. Re-check your fetal development and try to pick where you honestly think the baby looks like a person.

As to the remark about the woman - that was a response to the statement that pro-life people only care about the baby. That's completely untrue, but always thrown around as if fact.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #296
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I'm not sure you can be so cut and dried about it, Nurv. People who are "against killing people" may still be supportive of soldiers. They may still support the death penalty. They may oppose laws for gun safety that permit murders to occur. They may accept killing in self-defense. They may honor DNR orders.

It's not as simple as "all cells are baby, therefore losing cells is either death of baby or homicide".
I agree, I actually don't think it's that simple either. There's a lot I left out of my post. There's a big grey area in the whole abortion debate itself. And finally, people are complex. I'm not actually attempting to reduce the debate to one sentence or to say that there are only two views on .

Quote:
I just think the unborn baby deserves the benefit of the doubt. Re-check your fetal development and try to pick where you honestly think the baby looks like a person.

As to the remark about the woman - that was a response to the statement that pro-life people only care about the baby. That's completely untrue, but always thrown around as if fact.
I've heard it and don't agree either, though I am pro-choice. Maybe some pro-life people only care about the fetus, but this attitude doesn't really describe the movement as a whole. I don't get the impression from this thread, at least.

But for me personhood is not about what it looks like. I just think that personhood happens at birth. Inked and I have already debated the point extensively though. I didn't really mean to rejoin the debate; I just wanted to reply to your post. But that's not how this thread works, is it?
Quote:
Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #297
inked
Elf Lord

Precisely, Nurv. One's understanding of the nature of humanity and its origination will be followed by one's choices on the basis of that understanding.

Logic, indeed.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #298
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I ran across this article, a first person account of a woman who had an abortion. For those who haven't heard such an account, maybe it'll help you know that "choice" isn't always about selfishness.

http://www.marieclaire.com/world/new...on=art&mag=mar

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #299
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
So then are you saying your personal test for your beliefs regarding abortion is "looks like a person"?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #300
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
So then are you saying your personal test for your beliefs regarding abortion is "looks like a person"?
No - in my mind it does not have to. If you read above, this was partially in response to some writing so much about a 'two-celled organism' or however they termed it.

I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding how some people can be alright with abortion once a baby DOES "look like a person" though.

And the issue is so HUGE! About 1,400,000 babies per year in America alone - which comes to about 3,800 per day. More than the victims of 9/11! (EACH DAY!) And about half those babies have African American mothers (and I read yesterday that about half of all pregnancies by African American mothers end in abortion). But the founder of Planned Parenthood was a known racist who advocated both abortion and sterilization to decrease the numbers of African Americans.

A bit of a tangent, but pertinent, since Planned Parenthood performs so many abortions in America.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court