Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #281
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Birthday present? Butterbeer, is your birthday coming up?? BUON COMPLEANNO!!!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #282
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I think the damage has been artfully repaired, so, lets continue peaceabley....please..?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #283
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
More than one story can definitely happen at once, if you all wish .
well i tend to agree with you ... but this really is still a new-ish rpg ... and people are still arriving with small sub-plots (which i like) but i agree .... i am sure the main plot will crystalize together with just some minor asides to add juicy depth ... but i see this as happening at some point ... but i, for one am always open to new and good ideas

but thanks for you posts above Lief ... thanks for editing!

let's hope CS will make her peace .. c'mon Lil ... you have this effect on men y'know!

we're all so eager to impress you ...

and i'm sure as Lief says above he didn't mean it the way you read it!

*tickles Crazy squirrel*

c'mon? *tickles her again* ... hope she likes being tickled?

best BB
Old 09-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #284
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
I can appreciate what you are saying but i just think Lief is very keen is all! I have no doubt he has some good ideas ..as do we all ... Lief .. could you just slow down a bit please so everyone can feel valued.
Look at my last two posts in the RPG. I'm on rewind .
Quote:
I'm sure it wasn't your intention to say the rpg had no value or direction ...
I didn't mean that it had no value, and I'm sure you all are sending it in very fun directions. I just wanted to see if all these directions could be organized in such a way that they're pointing the same way.

I think of it as a book. In books, there are often numerous plot threads that are seemingly separate and unrelated. However, if one follows the book through to the end, enjoying the mystery, then one finds that the different threads all lead to the same place.

Before I entered the game, I looked at it in the following way: It appeared to be a fun group of rollicking characters, getting to know each other and involving themselves in various self-created, exciting adventures . However, I didn't see that all these different inventive adventures were all leading to the same place, as in a book. So that's what I was trying to do. While not squelching or looking down on anyone's ideas, I was seeing if they could be tied into one central plot, as in a book, and as in all the other RPGs I've done.

Everyone impacts things. Everyone decides things. Indeed, in my RPGs, as Eärniel can tell you, I've always encouraged people to think inventively and throw in storylines as much as they please . But rather than it being a series of separate and distinct adventures, it's all one story.

I should probably have followed people's advice and read the whole RPG first. I didn't realize that that would be a problem. In response to your statement about Gordis though, Butterbeer, I must say it would be a little bit overwhelming for me to be expected to read the entire discussion thread first as well .
Quote:
and i am interested to hear your ideas ... but as in any rpg ... theres got to be some give and take ... and time for people to get to know new characters!
Definitely.
Quote:
and we all like to discuss where it's going!
Here is something, I must confess, I am not used to. In the previous RPGs I've been involved in, fellow roleplayers (like Mathron) would occasionally hide things from me unless they needed help (and Mathron never did . We got there in the end anyway). I would hide things from them too. Then we would all have the fun of figuring the mysteries out .

So I am not used to a no-mystery form of roleplaying. Lotesse sounded like she liked a bit of political mystery too . Do you all really want me to lay all my ideas on the table? That would be very, very sad for me. I could, if you the majority of you want it that way. This one I would like to put to the vote, though once again, I will cave in if someone threatens to leave. If everyone knew my plans in advance, I really don't think it would be as enjoyable. For me or for them.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #285
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
You mean our game had no purpose before the Saviour in the guise of a bloated Barlog with a weak nazgul cry had come?
Have you bothered to read the RPG by now? You surely didn't before you started posting your nonsense.
It was a serious RPG, now it is ruined.
I say it officially. KEEP YOUR PRYING HANDS OFF.

One of us will quit now. You or me. Let the others vote.
Crazy Squirrel is being pretty specific here, folks. And I am right there with her. Period. I hate to start getting negative, because those who know me enough by now know how agro & completely undiplomatic I can be when something's pissing me off, so... I won't. Get agro, that is. But - read above, what she says about "you or me." I want CS, and if Squirrel has to leave I go as well. That is all I have to say on the subject, and I'll reserve writing anything in the rpg for a day, and wait & watch to see who goes where and what happens.

So, ciao until then, my dear fellow gamers! - Viniglaen

Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #286
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
well i tend to agree with you ... but this really is still a new-ish rpg ... and people are still arriving with small sub-plots (which i like)
Me too .
Quote:
but i agree .... i am sure the main plot will crystalize together with just some minor asides to add juicy depth
Good. I already have some ideas on this, but I prefer to leave them a mystery and just show them slowly as the game goes on. If some of them turn out disagreeable to players, I'll change them on the spot. Fair enough?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #287
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ref mysteries it's good ... but like you say this particular discussion thread would be a bit of a read!

just a case of easing into it a bit more i guess

and work with us on this one, i am sure it will be one story, with many chapters and characters indeed , but of the same book with a central story .. and a direction .... guess i'm used to working like this ... lots of characters and ideas and enjoying seeing how they mesh together into a coherrent whole ... like is aid before all the parts are but gumbo in the pot-boiler to be!

and you only get a pot boiler when it comes together .... so i guess we agree.

*tickles CS again*

(now REALLY hope she likes being tickled ... ELSE ! )

( i would send you some come back and cheer us all up by doing so flowers ... but the last ones i sent got returned ... though apparently they semlt nice! )

yeah Lotesse: has been my birthday now for 2 hrs! Thanks!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-09-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #288
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Lottese: it is not an issue of CS or Lief: i have stated clearly i would side with CS ... and Lief has stated he would leave rather than bring it to that.

can we not just all have a think on it and accept Lief is new to this rpg and didn't mean it the way it may have appeared!

right anyway i'm off to bed.

best all
BB
Old 09-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #289
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
what IS that thing in the coach?!?!

going over there now ...
careful... I think it might eat you.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #290
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
...But I reckon that, even so, the water level in the swamp would probably drop somewhat if the water level of the Grey-flood drops. So yes, you're probably right. I'll keep that in account from now on.
Be careful yourself then... that could make skinny-dipping all the more revealing!

*prepares palantir*

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #291
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Butterbeer: But it is "to that," we don't have to worry about whether or not it will "come to that" because it is already "to that," capiche? You yourself have stated over and over again in the past about how when you say you're going to do something, you stick by what you say - remember? CS has clearly stated her terms. I hardly think they are nebulous terms or idle threats. And, that being said, I am right there behind her if she goes, which she says she will if Lief does not. Sorry Lief, but that is the way it stands. Nothing personal.

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-09-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #292
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

For heavens sake, the man is on rewind...there is no need for brinkmanship. I doubt either of them will leave, so calm down. Why would she leave? If leif backtracks as he has and indeeds slows down, I dont see the need for either of them to leave! GOOD GRIEF!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #293
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Great post as usual, Shah! I like how he (Ray) jumps up to get the door; and I always love your dialogue.

Oh, and BTW - nice try, with the peace-keeping attempt, I tip my hat (hat? beanie) I tip my beanie to you for your gallant efforts toward diplomatic motivation, but - I'm not posting story until my self-administered 24 hour pause is over, which will be by tomorrow this time. Above post explains how come. C ya then!

Old 09-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #294
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think Lief has apologized handsomely for jumping in a bit hastily w/o reading enough background info, and I don't see why we all can't stay now. And I thought CS said she'd leave only if Lief wasn't willing to change - not she'd leave no matter what And Lief did change, so I think we're fine now, right?

I think maybe we've ALL been a bit on-edge - I know that I lost my temper on the Origins thread in a big way the other day And I remember something like this happening after 9/11, too - I think we've all been kind of emotionally drained and we're oversensitive. So I vote for giving it another try with everyone

As I said, I'm totally new to this, but I've noticed how as soon as I intro'd my character, several of you reached out and included options for her - but they WERE options and I could go either way with them. I thought that was pretty clever, and I'll try to do it that way, too. And I assume that if anyone made my character do anything I don't think she would, that they would retract it if I really, really did NOT like it, right? I imagine we'd all do that.

As far as mysteries, I like them - I'm kinda treating this as RL - I don't have any future planned for my character, but I know her past, and I'm just kind of having her react to things as I think she would.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-09-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:10 AM   #295
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, let me know if I got this straight:

Valandil is ... Valandil! the young king headed off to uni for lessons and adventure.

Eärniel is Eärniel, the beautiful and feisty leader of the elves of Nîn in Eilph

CS is Lily, with green eyes and red-gold hair and buxom-y figure, who is also a Nazgul

CS is also Penny, Lilly's "brother", who is another Naz

LastSane is Marty and Ray, who are Dunedain friends of Val,

BB is Boomerang the mysterious undead butterfly, who seems to have some Nazgul-y powers, too, but is not a Nazgul?

Lotesse is Viv, a gorgeous dark-haired kleptomaniac who is also a Nazgul

TD is Galadannun, apparently a Nazgul, too, posing as a teacher at the uni

and RÃ*an is RÃ*an, a lovely half-elven maiden with mysterious ties to Gondolin.

Is this basically right? Please correct me if I got anything wrong, I'm v. new at this!

(and I just KNOW I'm going to get all fouled up with geography - that's my worst subject, and you guys seem to know so much!!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-10-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #296
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Is anyone interested in hearing some ideas about how my "weak Nazgul scream" might be made without interfering with anyone's disguises or subplots?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-10-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:37 AM   #297
Rían

I missed the whole thing, so go ahead and explain your idea, please

Old 09-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #298
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

What I posted originally, and then deleted, was a weak and distorted Nazgul scream erupting from outside the city that summoned the other Nazgul, pleading with them to come and join him in the grove he was waiting at. My recent ideas were simply as follows.

The call was from outside the city, not in. It also isn't blowing anyone's disguise, because the call is in a Mordor/ringwraith-cry language, which no one but Nazgul would understand. The people of Tharbad therefore have no reason to believe there are other Nazgul in their settlement, and even if they did wonder, they'd have absolutely no reason to finger any of the existing Nazgul.

As regards disruption of sub-plots, I don't think that this would be an issue either. We could play it as "Fellowship of the Ringwraiths" is done, in that there are all sorts of side adventures and detours while people are doing the main quest. Meanwhile, if none of the Nazgul like my character's idea anyway, they can just ignore him completely.

So that's my basic idea. There's no reason for disguises to be compromised. There's no reason why sub-plots must cease.

I honestly was thinking that way the whole time. I was a little dense, and didn't realize that people would assume my translation of the Nazgul speech was available for all to hear. It was actually meant for only other Nazgul to be able to properly understand.

I was a bit confused as to why people were objecting so vehemently to those two posts I sent, but I'm hopeful that this clarification will help.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-10-2005 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #299
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
OK, let me know if I got this straight:

Valandil is ... Valandil! the young king headed off to uni for lessons and adventure.

Eärniel is Eärniel, the beautiful and feisty leader of the elves of Nîn in Eilph

CS is Lily, with green eyes and red-gold hair and buxom-y figure, who is also a Nazgul

CS is also Penny, Lilly's "brother", who is another Naz

LastSane is Marty and Ray, who are Dunedain friends of Val,

BB is Boomerang the mysterious undead butterfly, who seems to have some Nazgul-y powers, too, but is not a Nazgul?

Lotesse is Viv, a gorgeous dark-haired kleptomaniac who is also a Nazgul

TD is Galadannun, apparently a Nazgul, too, posing as a teacher at the uni

and RÃ*an is RÃ*an, a lovely half-elven maiden with mysterious ties to Gondolin.

Is this basically right? Please correct me if I got anything wrong, I'm v. new at this!

(and I just KNOW I'm going to get all fouled up with geography - that's my worst subject, and you guys seem to know so much!!)
I think that GW is Penny, but CS is filling in with him until GW's hand is healed and he can type again.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-10-2005, 06:00 AM   #300
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

what's the world coming too when last sane person and me! are the emmisaries of diplomacy ???

Thanks shah: great post!

You are right Rian:

Lief: at one point people were woke up thinking of nazgul and soldiers were alerted .... anyways .. plus the weakness of a nazgul cry???? ... i can see you are a real PR man !

Lotesse; i TOTALLY understand and RESPECT your honouring your word. Absolutely . CS too of course.

My feeling like most other peoples was that CS was threatening Lief not to 'get his prying hands all over the rpg' or else it would be her or him ... whatever the exact words were .... and Lief has rewound honourably like Shah and RIan said, NOT that that was it!

anyway we all need time to reflect.
Closed Thread