Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #281
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
That's it! I'm so setting you up with dearie Aiwendis!
Hey - go easy on me - this high temperature is making me say crazy things.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #282
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I don't have time to post tonight so shall I put a placeholder in so you can get on with Friday?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #283
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
Yes, but it usually ends badly for the celebrators!
True!

Quote:
(And I bet you didn't take into account the volumes of Elven Angsting this is going to release for having through live through such an experience. It's on your own head, just so you know it. )
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #284
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Somehow it is Maggie herself who always says "No"
That was uncalled for. By having my character react as plausibly as possible I am saying yes. Unfortunately my character is at odds with yours, even without her explicitly knowing it. I apologize for the confusion this causes. To clarify: I'm going along with the attack happening. I like the idea of the attack happening, I think it's a wonderful plot point.

Shah and Mahta spreading a general warning through the town to be ready for an unspecified something isn't going to seriously bend the odds. Especially if someone who would like to discredit them counters with the rumor that they've gone paranoid from the wars and shouldn't be taken seriously.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #285
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel

Perhaps, as the fight is going to be a major event of the game, it would have been better to ask EVERYBODY's opinion, how they want it to happen?
HELLO!! I so second this. I've just read everything here in disc. about this fun new idea, but I must say, even though technically I'm playing a bad girl, I, too, see all the discrepancies with having TWELVE corsairs filled with - what did someone say? 600-1,000 professional piratres onboard who are already jazzed up from their previous ruthless conquests down the way, come absolutely undetected into Tharbad and not inflict any real damage. PLEASE!! The damage would be catastrophic, not just from the element of surprise but by mere reason of who these guys are and what they're capable of, and their sheer numbers, etc. etc. I mean, it would definitely change Tharbad, and disrupt the school year immensely, and change the King's schedule, and get a lot of people killed. It's gonna be a diversion, and a lot of excitement for sure, but it won't be "Fast Times At Tharbad U" any longer, not realistically anyway. I have no idea what Viv would do in this circumstance, no idea at all. My character will want to just go straight to the Morgul Lord & Khamul and fight with them, and do her duty as a Nazgul. It'll break her heart to have to do this rather than run to Ray, but at the end of the day, she IS still one of the Nine. Otherwise, if she could, she'd just leave the city entirely and do her own thing, but they've all been called to duty in Tharbad so she doesn't have that option right now. Viv hates war. It f**ks with her heart, and yes she still has a very humanesque heart...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #286
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
I also spent time looking up elvish eyesight. When you take that and the fact that with the wind blowing the smoke towards Tharbad... yes, Mahta could easily see it from high on top of the walls, because due to the wind the smoke is now much closer than it's place of orgin.

I am looking forward to the attack, I think it will be interesting and entertaining to write/read. Sane and I planned our characters' reactions to such an attack way back around New Years. We're trying to help you with this segment of plotline, just trust us.
Uh, Gordis? She didn't just say "no" here; why do you think Maggie says no? I always see gracious attempts at reasonable compromise with Lady M. Well, whatever. While I love this surprise idea, I still think it's not too fair to drop this bomb and expect everyone to play your idea out without any compromise at all, I mean come on Gordie, it's everyone's game, not just one or two people's game.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #287
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ditto - Maggie's cool

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #288
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

*hug*

Thanks guys.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 01-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #289
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

What I think is, a surprise is possible even now. And I don't think there'll be that many pirates, after all, the Chancellor doesn't want Tharbad to be destroyed, he just wants to make a point.

Maybe, Shah and Mahty could spread some alarm, but the Chancellor would of course, counter them, and perhaps even warn the pirates to lay low for a few days, (which allows us to do the skipping of a few days), until the fears of the paranoid pair have been lulled. Or, he could do something so annoying that Mahty at least forgets all about the smoke. She does tend to get mad at the ML very easily...

Either way, something can be worked out... a little surprise, a little forewarning, and even if the Guard are prepared, most of Tharbad will be shocked and panicky, giving the dramatic touch. I am all in favour of an attack, I know Tol is itching to get back into a battle again. Whether its a surprise or not, I think it'll be fun!

p.s. Rian, that was indeed a very good post... very motion-picteresque, somehow!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 01-19-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #290
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

You again forget Shah. He is going out to patrol, and he doesnt intend to tell the chancellor that. He doesnt need to. Besides, what does the chancellor have to do with the military defence of Tharbad, now that he has taken up as the head of the college.

It would be seen as bad form to let the chancellor make military decisions fit for the king. Chancellor can pester Mahta all he wants, Shah will lay low.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #291
Rían

Thanks, Serenoli

(um, what did your rollie-eye smilie mean?)

Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #292
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Filled in post number 731, the drinkin contest. Go read please!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #293
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Great post, Shah! You definitely captured drunken camaderie just right. I like the part where she's sort of gazing at the scenery and mentally wandering off as they're trying to walk, and subsequently gets sidetracked. I do that every time I'm out having fun getting drunk with friends, all in a good mood and gazing at the world around like it's new & novel.

EVERYBODY - Wonderful, wonderful posts! Everyone here is such a phenomenal writer, I mean it's like an all star cast ensemble in a movie or something. All the mooters write SO well.

Serenoli
- Commerce class commences! I love what you're doing with Bumble; it's just right.

Gordis & Udu - What can I say - amazing writing, as usual! So detailed & alive.

Rian
- this last post of yours is definitely one of your better ones. I loved how your scene played out - it WAS like a movie clip. Good stuff! I like how those three elves play off each other.

TD, Crazy Squirrel, Earniel, Lady M, Grey Wolf - EVERYONE, such awesome stuff. Crazy Squirrel, especially I love what you're doing with my favourite female character (besides my Viv) here in the RPG. Rock on, Lilaenwen!

You guys are the bomb.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #294
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Same here. Drinking contests are fun. Perhaps not so good on the liver, but what the hell.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #295
Rían

thanks, Lotesse I was hoping Alagos's anger came off as realistic - you know how you get angry with friends when you're scared about them? and then he used it as a stimulant to try to keep T. conscious.

Yes, we have some great writers here, and it's a pleasure to read the posts! I look forward to when you can post again, Lotesse - your posts are very visual and tactile, if that makes sense I "feel" the surroundings.

Nice post #731, Shah! I really like seeing this side of Mahta!

Last edited by Rían : 01-19-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #296
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Thanks, this was a fun post for me, i needed it.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:41 AM   #297
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I've got the follow up to the drinking scene posted now. It's #748. Go read. It's long, a little more serious and hopefully good.

- The Crucible

Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 AM   #298
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Tis lovely! Now for some fun! I think Shah and Mahta will have quite a bit of fun this year round. I wonder...*thinks of a back story for Shah* Well, he already sat me down and told me his back story, I just have to write it all down and organize it.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #299
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
Thanks, Serenoli

(um, what did your rollie-eye smilie mean?)
Well, I know its a rollie-eye, but I like the way he smiles better than the actual smile-smiley! So, I tend to use it for smiles... meaning no sarcasm whatsoever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Everyone here is such a phenomenal writer, I mean it's like an all star cast ensemble in a movie or something. All the mooters write SO well.
Lotesse, I always feel like that, too. That was what drew me to the RPG in the first place, because it was such a great story, and such good writing... its very long, too. I am a very fast reader, I read all three volumes of LotR in under 8 hours, all in one stretch, but it took me three hours to catch up when I first came. I suppose loading each page, and then adjusting to each different writer slowed me down, but still! I shudder to think of how long it would take to re-read it all now!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #300
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'll fill in my placeholder ASAP, hopefully tonight, but don't let me hold the game up.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Closed Thread