Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #281
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
*goes around and gathers things together*

OK, here's Gordis's 3 questions, my 1 question, and BB's 2 questions :

1. Do you believe and accept that Khamul was able to DELETE FOREVER ALL MEMORIES OF THE NIGHT from Melwen's mind?

2.Do you believe and accept that Khamul was able to heal the effects of Black Breath ENTIRELY?

3. Can others (e.g. Oreturion) tamper with her brain and make her remember the night?

4. Do you believe and accept that certain people can implant thoughts in another person's mind that impels them to do something, either in accord or out of accord with what they would naturally do?

5. Are we agreed to keep animal reaction pretty much as is for rpg practicality with the odd unease post being fine for realism?

6. Forgetting actual parameters at this point, is there general agreement in priniciple to not go TOO far with nazgul powers?
1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Possibly.
4. Possibly.
5. Yes.
6. Yes. I limit my own characters. They are never overly powerful.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #282
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Gor I saw you post after I had posted, so I have edited it. Is the edit ok?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 11-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #283
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Gor I saw you post after I had posted, so I have edited it. Is the edit ok?
I believe, yes, oh EEEVILLLE Khamul!

Rian, Ringwraiths are not ainu, but neither are they mere men. They can induce great fear in a multitude of people at once, making them abandon their posts. The Witch-King ordered Frodo to stop at the Ford, which was clearly suicidal for the hobbit. It was Asfaloth who saved him. The WK has even broken Frodo's sword sword at a distance.

Dump. Why would the nazgul wish Arastud to "dump" Annawen? To marry Melwen? They are no matchmakers . They prefer the girl unhappy.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #284
Telcontar_Dunedain

Gor, do you have any ideas for the maid disposal. I was thinking if Khamûl did that early tomorrow morning (RPG time) then he could be returning from it when he fires Rian on the Orrodel doorstep.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 11-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #285
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Rian, Ringwraiths are not ainu, but neither are they mere men. They can induce great fear in a multitude of people at once, making them abandon their posts. The Witch-King ordered Frodo to stop at the Ford, which was clearly suicidal for the hobbit. It was Asfaloth who saved him. The WK has even broken Frodo's sword sword at a distance.
But that's also when the fear they induce is uncontrollable (people are frightened from a distance, even when they merely pass through a place!) as it is NOT in this rpg. They could certainly not live among people unnoticed, as they are doing here, when they were doing the things you listed.

I know they are not mere men; I was just pointing out that they are not Ainu, either! (altho I'm sure they would want to be!)

Quote:
Dump. Why would the nazgul wish Arastud to "dump" Annawen? To marry Melwen? They are no matchmakers . They prefer the girl unhappy.
It was just an example I came up with off the top of my head, and I thought it was funny how you guys took it to mean murder! You NAZGUL, you!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #286
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Nice post, Udu, and I really like that little intro deal at the top - very helpful!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #287
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Nice post, Udu, and I really like that little intro deal at the top - very helpful!
Thank you, Rian. I thought that notation would help set the time that the action was transpiring, or inaction in this case.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #288
Rían

*heehee! do I hear some snoring from Udu's chamber? *

Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #289
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Great stuff, everyone. I wish I weren't so flippin' depressed tonight, but I am and I cannot find the energy to write anything or think today. Will get back 2 all my PMs very soon. I loved everyone's posts.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #290
Rían

I hope you feel better soon - think of your friends here (yes, I know, sometimes we're a motley bunch, but hey) that like you

Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 AM   #291
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Oh dear - didn't mean to alarm anyone. Really no intention of winding down the game (but say - weren't the Nazgul already talking openly about leaving Tharbad?). In fact, my spirits were up and I had lots of fun writing that post.

I will reconsider if I got too much from the sword. I intended Val to be quite confused about whatever enemies the sword was talking about - and also for it to be a little too late for whatever concoction to do much good at nullifying the potion (I figure it's been in his system for 8-9 hours by then, hasn't it?). (EDIT: oh and Gordis - I did have in mind for Oreturion to go to the school library - he will call on the Chancellor first thing in the morning with the request, and then go right to it - especially if the request is granted - he will miss Valandil in the morning - and they may end up going down different trails - possibly both blind alleys.)

So maybe I made the sword too loquatious (sp?). I'll post that it's under review.

I WAS interested in creating a balance of power though... and frankly, I thought Valandil should find out at some point that his room was burglarized and by whom. Wouldn't be fair otherwise.

How sad though... I'm reduced to communicating with my 'sword'...

The dream... sorry, you'll have to use your imaginations. It's a line I wish to avoid crossing again.

Don't be so worried that I'm trying to end things though - I brought it up for discussion because I thought some things were headed that way - not because I necessarily desired it. And I wouldn't take action on my own to bring that about, I don't think.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 11-04-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #292
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

that's spooky, lotesse, i was on a bit last night intending to post and just couldn't get it together .... mind you this was mainly after my big, long, well thought out post in here, never showed, me pm went all doolalley and entmoot connection (ony entmoot, note, disappered for a short while) ....

bah! I just didn't have the spirit just then to re-write it ... nor now.

humbug!

Quickly, Valandil, referrring to your previous post responding to CS, yes of course you have the right here , given the history of this game

*hands Val a fiery-brand member card of honour*

i think you can see there are no "party" lines in voting, here in discussion we all just want the best rpg and most enjoyable we can have ... rpg sides are just for the game ...

no problem seeking to balance things up, many suggested it in one form or another .... we even all mentioned the ''talking sword" too (in various contexts)

** BIG QUESTION For Valandil **
What needs clarifying ( and thanks for your post above .. t'was pretty much how i called it )

since Valandil does not appear that concerned i take it to mean he is unclear by what the sword means by the 'Counted ones ' : he does not assume the (eight Nazgul plus 'late larry' ) are here ... else he would move like grease lightning ... perhaps riding to imladris to seek counsel and calenqui aid / advice???? .. or whatever he might do ... certainly not carry on kinging and send Mr O to the library ..or rather ... let him continue whatever he may be doing without urgently calling for him etc etc

therefore, if this is true i see no problem with it ... the sword though very talkative, is not so much a problem ... can we also assume that the sword itself though it recognises the 'counted ones' from memory need not actually know who they are, merely that they are 'the counted ones' ... thus some mystery and plot layers??

like that Mr O may follow a different path ...

ref: being burgaled and BY WHOM ... again this is ok IF he knows not what or who these 'counted ones' are ... but i think ALL would agree knowing of the nazgul here and now would blow it before it has begun .... at least radically alter it dramatically, so that all the characterisation and university stuff would be rendered useless overnight

thus two main things ....we are trying to balance things out by general consent, also to be as realsitic as we can given our starting points ... so your concerns have been raised and as best we can, started to shift some ground towards a clearer rpg balance ...

BUT ... in terms of powers and realism, just be careful with the sword ... ...as your mother no doubt told you!

and there are no "sides" here in discussion, this is neutral ground, highlander!

so, thanks for above post, may i ask you to clarify that the King knows not what these "counted ones'' are, nor probably does the sword, merely that it recognises them to that name? ... if that is your intention?

best BB

ps loved the dream .... in terms of crossing lines, maybe it wasn't best to leave it to our collective imaginations?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #293
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
1. Do you believe and accept that Khamul was able to DELETE FOREVER ALL MEMORIES OF THE NIGHT from Melwen's mind?

2.Do you believe and accept that Khamul was able to heal the effects of Black Breath ENTIRELY?

3. Can others (e.g. Oreturion) tamper with her brain and make her remember the night?

4. Do you believe and accept that certain people can implant thoughts in another person's mind that impels them to do something, either in accord or out of accord with what they would naturally do?

5. Are we agreed to keep animal reaction pretty much as is for rpg practicality with the odd unease post being fine for realism?

6. Forgetting actual parameters at this point, is there general agreement in priniciple to not go TOO far with nazgul powers?
1. No. Hide them for a while perhaps, but not entirely erasing them.
2. Yes, but not without some effort.
3. Yes, but only in helping her to do the remembering. Going in her mind and plucking the memory out seems off the scale.
4. Yes, if the are more like suggestions, not outright compulsions.
5. Yes.
6. Yes.

One more thing, about the vacancy for Swamp Ecology mentioned in the game. I thought it was pretty much decided that since I'm the only person following, I'd handle both Swamp ecology and Irrigation myself and only mention them briefly once in a while while we concentrate on the other, more popular courses? Or was that still undecided?

Another question that I wondered about and since there are a number of Elven characters in this game, how are Elves to react to Black Breath? Can they be affected by it? In the same way as normal humans, or have they more resistance against it? Or even immunity?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:10 AM   #294
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

yeah, think thats agreed

elves and black breath: well no one is immune, well alright ilvutar et al, but like both faramir or aragorn for example they would have much much more resistance than others .. more than mortal men i would think ...

BTW: Rian ... could you take out the references to JRR tolkien in the actual rpg ... it is completely not-on

liked the elf details on braiding

TD: your post is so riddled , imho , with problems it is hanging by a thread .... lights shining through it all over ...

first the ML says no uneseccary stuff ..meaning he wants calm and no more actions likelyto raise tensions and if they arise THEY SHOULD BE brought to him ... him solely: so you are now completely going against his orders and should be dealt with by the Morgul lord:

secondly, i do not think Buz would sit down, the ML has laid down the law and yet but five mins later you usurp it... nay i feel he would have challenged you and said plainly this will be brought before the captains attention ...this would cause Khamul to pause at least...

so you put Buz's fear of kahmul over his fear of the Morgul lord? a mistake i think ... all will have noted it and this should go to the captain straight away ...

Scarring and altering lillies beauty is a serious breach of your orders in TWO ways ... she is to use her allure for the mission .... you hinder this .... secondly there is no necessary reason to come up with this particular story ..thus you again break the commands .... were i captain i would demote you here and now and have another take over nominal charge of orrodel ... though quite why someone is in charge is beyond me ... the captain alone is in charge and should not encourage others to challenge him .... or get ideas , but that is a whole other issue ....

moreover it again raises tensions, anger and hatred.... you have been told nothing unessecary and to seek approval from your captain ... as he will decide: no one else!

you jeopordise the mission Khamul!

next problem ..wolves in tharbad: they normally are not either in or just outside the city either ... so it would be a matter of concern and hunt ... GW will not like this, nor will he appreciate wolves being blamed for attacking nazgul or humans ... when he is here clandestinely ... this therefore is not the time to start a wolf scare!

plus the authorities hearing of wolves will want to see the carcasses and spot it happened ....they will want to know what kind of wolves they are, are they in a pack , what trials there are, are they so thin and hungry they could terrorise outlying farms etc etc ....

plus when the hell and why were you and Lilly outside the city at whatever time? ..on foot? etc etc

finally even a fool can tell the difference between a clear knife cut and a scratch from a claw ....

are you therefore trying to have the city alerted?

best, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-04-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #295
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Guys and Gals and elf-maidens. I have disposed of the maid. If you don't like it I am open to discussion.
My problem is that I am leaving in an hour and will be away on the WEEK-END. Back Monday.

I am sorry, I have no time to read the Discussion thread. But I read the Main.

TD What's the hell with Khamul? Cutting Lilly AGAIN? No way. all this story is unbelievable. Better tell you have had a cut on your neck while you were SHAVING!!! Much less heroic, but much more probable!!!

What NORMAL man takes his SISTER for a lonely walk outside the City??? What FOR??? Especially his not-so-dear sister?

That is a give away!

Good bye, see ye all on Monday.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #296
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Oh dear - didn't mean to alarm anyone. Really no intention of winding down the game (but say - weren't the Nazgul already talking openly about leaving Tharbad?). In fact, my spirits were up and I had lots of fun writing that post.
Well you sure gave me some very bad moments reading the second part of your post, though I did like the beginning very much. That is good news that you didn't intend to bring the RPG to a short and bloody end. But then you have to reduce dramatically the amount of info from your chatterbox of a sword. . Or I will make my Ring talk, and tell me all your secrets and the secrets of the Mirdain who made it, along with some salacious stories about Annatar and Galadriel.

No, the nazgul NEVER INTENDED to leave Tharbad before they have to.

Quote:
I will reconsider if I got too much from the sword. I intended Val to be quite confused about whatever enemies the sword was talking about - and also for it to be a little too late for whatever concoction to do much good at nullifying the potion (I figure it's been in his system for 8-9 hours by then, hasn't it?). :
Do you know about the other "counted ones"? As for the potion, its effect is not so important RPG-wise, as the knowledge WHO did it and WHY.
Please, consider that most likely NO man knew that there were girls among the Nine.

Quote:
(EDIT: oh and Gordis - I did have in mind for Oreturion to go to the school library - he will call on the Chancellor first thing in the morning with the request, and then go right to it - especially if the request is granted - he will miss Valandil in the morning - and they may end up going down different trails - possibly both blind alleys.)
By all means. The request will be granted. Please, you are welcome to post the talk yourself.

Quote:
So maybe I made the sword too loquatious (sp?). I'll post that it's under review.
. Yes by far too talkative, IMO. It might tell again of enemies from before around, that one was in this room, it is all OK.
But its knowledge of potions is incongruous, as well as its jokes and the trip to the kitchen. I wouldn't overdo it all, if I were you. Let it say 1-2 rather enigmatic sentences again.

Quote:
I WAS interested in creating a balance of power though... and frankly, I thought Valandil should find out at some point that his room was burglarized and by whom. Wouldn't be fair otherwise.
Yes sure, but "by whom" part must be very difficult, don't you think?

Quote:
How sad though... I'm reduced to communicating with my 'sword'...
Jokes aside, you really need help. Have you thought of inviting an extra player for your side? Perhaps you have a good candidate to invite to this RPG - our Bilbo the 14-th?

Quote:
Don't be so worried that I'm trying to end things though - I brought it up for discussion because I thought some things were headed that way - not because I necessarily desired it. And I wouldn't take action on my own to bring that about, I don't think.
That is a relief, because I have grown very fond of our RP. I thought, "All our plotting, all my evil maps that I have spent hours making, all for naught..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
One more thing, about the vacancy for Swamp Ecology mentioned in the game. I thought it was pretty much decided that since I'm the only person following, I'd handle both Swamp ecology and Irrigation myself and only mention them briefly once in a while while we concentrate on the other, more popular courses? Or was that still undecided?
No problem, it was only a joke made by Morgul Lord to Tolvadok. He knows nothing of swamps, and hates them, understandably, as there is water).

Swamp Ecology is all yours. Invent a professor, if you need.

UDu, Rian, Very nice posts.

CS Wonderful way to solve our problems! Scary.

TD Yes, I agree that the story with wolves sounds crazy. Better invent something innocent, or just conseal your wound.I second all BB said in #294 and CS in her last post above + There are guards at all the city gates, they have not seen you and Lilly going out or in!

But now you may tell a story how Khamul and Buz "dumped" Merwen in the river.

Last edited by Gordis : 11-04-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #297
Telcontar_Dunedain

Okay, I will delete my last post.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #298
Rían

Maggie - could you please add RÃ*an to whatever one of your classes she was going to take.

Gor - thank you - I had been playing with the braiding idea in my head for awhile, and decided to work it in as a conversation on the way to Orrodel. Here's a fascinating (at least to me) link about cultural braiding: here - where they note the differing regional styles, and how they "developed into complex patterns signalling one's social status, age group, and village affiliation. Certain elaborate hair treatments were reserved for ceremonial occasions ...". I thought it might be a more elvish way to show things like military skills and family background, etc., instead of the ribbons/insignias on uniforms like we have in the U.S. And I threw in the "underground" signs for fun.

CS - very nice post - you really created and sustained a feeling of panic and "what's going on with me?" type of atmosphere.

BB - well, all right, I"ll take out the JRRT name (grumbles 'this is getting too serious!') but I will keep the passage, and change the name to Pengoloð, who was a famous sage and historian of Gondolin to whom JRRT "attributes" many of the elvish histories. So I will take out the direct reference to JRRT and put in an oblique one

EDIT - I added a bit at the bottom where Tyaron is borrowing Hwesta, RÃ*an's mare.

Last edited by Rían : 11-04-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #299
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Rian, I've added her to Jewelry-making, did you have any other classes in mind for her?

Earniel, you did want your character added to the art history class, yes?
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #300
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LMM, I have forgotten to congratulate you on your post. Very interesting, indeed.
That is what is called "unauthorised use of the university funds"! The Chancellor will soon send an accountant for revision.
Closed Thread