Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 10:44 AM   #261
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I just started reading "American Gods by Neil Gaiman after it finally hit my country. Eruviel Greenleaf recommended it.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 05-30-2002, 06:21 PM   #262
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
Just finished Geraldine Harris's Seven Citadels series,very good books but absolute murder to get hold of cos they're out of print.

Currently reading Jean M Auel's latest in the Earth Children's series, entitled "The Shelters Of Stone". I don't know if anyone ever saw the film "Clan Of the Cave Bear" but that is based on the first book in this set.

Mod of Mirkwood forum at:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bmiddleearth99434

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Never but never buy a computer from TIME. If you want to know why please ask.

Andromeda fans check out:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com/
Old 05-31-2002, 08:34 AM   #263
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I usually only read non fiction. I like Discover magazine, health related stuff, and the occasional cook book (especially if I'm hungry). How to books for whatever project or artistic endeavor I'm working on are good, and I do like biographys cause they are about real people and events. Whenever I look at some fiction or consider a movie I think, nah, I don't want to waste my precious time with somebody's make believe story designed to take me away from my life. Unless they're exceptional, like Tolkien (thank goodness I snuck that in!) you read them, you're done, and the real world's still there waiting for you to do something with it. I miss out on a lot I'm sure. Must come from my dad saying "Do something constructive!" at least once a day for my whole childhood.

Last edited by Lizra : 05-31-2002 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:07 AM   #264
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm kind of the opposite. I like to read some non-fiction, but I read to escape things, which is why I'm usually found reading in my room, with the doors locked, or with headphones on, so I don't have to listen to the 'real world'.

Only problem with reading is that when I go into a bookstore, I lose track of time, and end up late for things, like I did yesterday (but I got "A Guide to Middle-Earth"!)
Old 05-31-2002, 03:57 PM   #265
Durin
Sapling

I'm reading the Arabian Nights Entertainments (the 69 most popular tales, unabriged). I love it. I'm also reading War and Peace, but it's kinda hard to get into (those stupid russian names, they're so confusing!).
Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 PM   #266
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
What's red mars like? It's a series right? I've been meaning to read them for ages...
Red Mars is a very good book, in fact the whole trilogi is a good read. I definitely recommend you to read it, if you haven't begun yet.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 06-06-2002 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:16 PM   #267
XRogue
Elven Warrior

Reading the Skolian Empire series by Catherine Asaro (look for it at the library, it's good) and Winter's Heart, 9th in the WoT. Robert Jordan needs to get the lead out and finish these books!
Old 06-02-2002, 12:40 AM   #268
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Re: nxdfng

Quote:
Originally posted by dmaul96
For school i am supposed to read the pearl, but i dont want to so i wont. I was quized on the first 4 ch i didnt read. I got a 95 on the quiz and a b on the essay. My teacher said it was good butit lacked examples from the story. I have to finish the book and do a 3 essay project thing. I dont intend on reading it.
A 3-essay project thing? No wonder students hate English!!
(By the way, I am an English teacher.)
Old 06-02-2002, 09:58 AM   #269
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

English must be a weird subject to teach, so many different aspects to it. I hated English, made a big stink to be removed from gifted english. Now I write for a newspaper! I write like I'm painting a picture though, letting words flow off the brush. I think I developed my style through osmosis. All that reading pays off! I still hate spelling. Thank goodness for dictionaries. Love that edit!

Last edited by Lizra : 06-02-2002 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:12 AM   #270
Garina
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I'm kind of the opposite. I like to read some non-fiction, but I read to escape things, which is why I'm usually found reading in my room, with the doors locked, or with headphones on, so I don't have to listen to the 'real world'.

Only problem with reading is that when I go into a bookstore, I lose track of time, and end up late for things, like I did yesterday (but I got "A Guide to Middle-Earth"!)
I hate the real world! I read far too much fantasy!
The first time I went to Oxford, I went into Blackwells and didn't come out for 5 hours!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Old 06-02-2002, 02:10 PM   #271
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Yesterday: Crito - Plato
Tonight: Critias - Plato
Old 06-02-2002, 08:52 PM   #272
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
English must be a weird subject to teach, so many different aspects to it. I hated English, made a big stink to be removed from gifted english. Now I write for a newspaper! I write like I'm painting a picture though, letting words flow off the brush. I think I developed my style through osmosis though. All that reading pays off! I still hate spelling. Thank goodness for dictionaries. Love that edit!
Reading, reading, and more reading is the only way to become a proficient writer and interpreter of literature! For everything else, there's Spell-check!
If you had been in my class, perhaps you would have enjoyed English more...at least, I'd like to think so.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:05 PM   #273
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Ah yes, reading a lot is the only way to be a good writer. People say I'm good (don't believe it) and I read all the time. I was that kid that read during recess.

Currently reading "A Guide to Middle Earth". Plan on checking out the trilogy tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:07 PM   #274
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
A 3-essay project thing? No wonder students hate English!!
that's what I want to be if I can make it through university!

I finally finished Our Mutual Friend. Not the best Dickens, but close to it! Very, very good.

I also finished all my C.S.Lewis books, except for Surprised by Joy. That's next on my list--after I finish Les Miserables--which is shaping up to be pretty book, too.

I loved the movie version w/ Liam Neeson,
Old 06-06-2002, 06:35 AM   #275
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

I'm fixing to read Enchantment by Orsen Scott Card and The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler.

Liam Neeson's Jean Valjean was very good, as was Geoffrey Rush's Javert.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:14 PM   #276
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Midnight
Just finished Geraldine Harris's Seven Citadels series,very good books but absolute murder to get hold of cos they're out of print.

Currently reading Jean M Auel's latest in the Earth Children's series, entitled "The Shelters Of Stone". I don't know if anyone ever saw the film "Clan Of the Cave Bear" but that is based on the first book in this set.
What's that about anyway? Believe it or not, my GYM TEACHER has been begging me to read it along with 60 or so others.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 06-06-2002, 09:41 PM   #277
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

ah! ah! CHILDREN OF THE EARTH! I knew the next one had come out, but I couldn't remember the name.

::goes into a fit of spasms::
Old 06-07-2002, 09:15 PM   #278
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
The Phylosiphical Strangler by Eric Flint
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 06-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #279
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Tolkiens Letters & Unfinished tales.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:09 PM   #280
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Tolkiens Letters & Unfinished tales.
Letters?

Closed Thread