Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #261
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes, I was quite surprised how much control he has over the accent in Tooth and Claw, one of the earlier Tennant episodes (and one of my faves).
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #262
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
yeah, and his accent is not as strong in doctor who - which is too bad
That was a deliberate choice to keep a little continuity - and besides, a thick Scots accent is really hard to understand! (although his is very understandable)

I'm sure that episode of DW was really fun for him - getting to speak naturally.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #263
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
That is so cool! I'm happy to see anything with David Tennant (I would watch a documentary on paint drying narrated by David Tennant!)

Xmas special started out good, kinda fizzled out near the end, but the thing that I really loved was the music ... anyone else like the music?
I liked the music. I agree that the story was weaker towards the end. The military guys did not make much sense and there was little background information given about them. They seemed to be a convenient way for mom to get a vehicle to use for getting to her kids quickly.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #264
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Just thinking as I'm waiting for the new season - maybe part of what made David Tennant so great as DW is that he really loved the series so much growing up. OTOH, Matt Smith hadn't even seen a DW episode until he got cast (or maybe was in the casting process, don't remember. but certainly not before that). I think it just shows that Tennant feels at home in and loves the Whoniverse, while Matt Smith seems to be coming at it from the outside, so to speak.

I'm starting to get my older sister interested in DW, and am choosing episodes for her to watch. Of course I always recommend "Blink" first, and she really liked it. I think I'll do "Rose" next, because I think it's an important background-setting episode as well as a good episode in itself (the plastic Mickey is hysterical!) Then I thought perhaps "The End of the World", because it was Rose's first trip in the Tardis, and I love that episode, too (who wouldn't love Cassandra? ) Then I picked out a few more, and lo and behold, they were all Eccleston's!

I'm starting to appreciate Eccleston's episodes more and more. Although I like Tennant better as the Doctor, I think Eccleston's episodes are pretty brilliant overall, and very funny, too. Anyway, any recommendations for my sister in the Doctor 9/10 series? I think I'll do Eccleston's first two, as a good background, then perhaps another Tennant ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #265
Earniel

"Tooth and Claw" was a very good one, early Tennant. "Dalek" is a good one from Eccleston. I haven't seen any of the 11th Doctor yet.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #266
Rían

No rush to see them ...

Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #267
Earniel

I have to say, the bits and pieces of the new doctor and his companions that I saw while taping the episodes don't really invoke the 'oooh-wanna-see!' response I was hoping for. Still, we'll give them a shot when I've gotten through my huge back-log of other series that I want to see first.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #268
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

New season of Doctor Who Saturday 21:00 BBCA

In the US

New season of Doctor Who

Today

Saturday

2012-SEP-01 21:00

on BBCA.

Hope it will be worth the wait.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #269
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Season 7 episode 1 (Asylum of the Daleks)

Interesting twist at end that I did not expect.

Somewhat spooky feeling at times.

Some remaining questions:

Will the doctor have any effects from the nanotechnology?

Will the daleks continue to pursue the doctor since they collectively forgot who he his?

What were all the names referenced near the end of the episode?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #270
Rían

By far one of the best of the Matt Smith years - the twist at the end was so tragic ...

I thought they played it just right with the hints - where did the milk come from? - but it seems such an innocent question that it doesn't set off huge alarm bells in your head ... then wham, at the end it makes sense ...

Last edited by Rían : 09-02-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #271
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
By far one of the best of the Matt Smith years - the twist at the end was so tragic ...

I thought they played it just right with the hints - where did the milk come from? - but it seems such an innocent question that it doesn't set off huge alarm bells in your head ... then wham, at the end it makes sense ...
I agree regarding the milk. The dalek conversions were odd looking to me. The stalk from the forehead did not seem right.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #272
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Season 7 episode 2 (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)

Better episode than I thought from the title. 2½ of 4 stars

The robots acted in ways that I did not expect.

I did not know the doctor could repair damaged legs.

I like the reference to Arthur C. Clarke and HAL 9000.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #273
Rían

I missed that reference - what was it?

For me, it was pretty disappointing, especially after the previous episode, which I thought was really stellar (no pun intended)

It just seemed like "hey, we have dinosaurs in this episode, so we don't have to worry much about the dialogue or storyline!"

I loved the moody robots, though. And it was also fun to see 2 Harry Potter actors together in a Dr Who episode

Yes, the leg repair was odd, then I thought that it was more that at that time, the equipment was available to do that repair, and he just used the equipment (knowing how to use it because he's the Doctor and brilliant )

Anyway, 3 more episodes of Amy, then the new companion! (I'm not wild about Amy, so I'm looking forward to that)

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #274
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

When the Doctor disables (shutsdown?) the robots they start saying: "Daisy ..."

That was IIRC the song that HAL 9000 sang (Daisy Bell) when he was being shut down in 2001: Space Odyssey.

The Doctor was called Arthur C. Clarke by Brian (Arthur's dad).

I agree with the HP actors though I did not recognize them for who they were. Solomon was more familiar looking to me.

I am indifferent about Amy. I liked Tate the best of the new DW companions.

Quote:
I missed that reference - what was it?

For me, it was pretty disappointing, especially after the previous episode, which I thought was really stellar (no pun intended)

It just seemed like "hey, we have dinosaurs in this episode, so we don't have to worry much about the dialogue or storyline!"

I loved the moody robots, though. And it was also fun to see 2 Harry Potter actors together in a Dr Who episode

Yes, the leg repair was odd, then I thought that it was more that at that time, the equipment was available to do that repair, and he just used the equipment (knowing how to use it because he's the Doctor and brilliant )

Anyway, 3 more episodes of Amy, then the new companion! (I'm not wild about Amy, so I'm looking forward to that)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 09-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #275
Rían

oh, OK - yes, HAL sang "Daisy" when he was being shut down. Funny, I just saw that part on TV last week!

I didn't catch the Arthur C. Clarke bit - I'll try to catch it next time around.

Solomon was Filch, the caretaker, and Rory's dad was Mr. Weasley.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #276
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Season 7 episode 3 (A Town Called Mercy)

It was an ok episode. I am curious what becomes of the cyborg.
If the cyborg was going to shoot all in town if he did not get his man, why was he restrained (in his shooting) at the end?

Interesting that the Doctor was doubting himself if he did the right thing by being merciful to his past foes.

What to do with those who are not all evil? It becomes a more difficult question when one does good deeds as well as bad.

The episode seems to imply that the doctor has been traveling alone for extended periods of time.

If the doctor can travel through time & space, why are his return visits to Rory and Amy getting further (from their POV) apart time wise?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #277
Rían

Agreed - ok. I liked it better the second time around, though (I usually watch it on my own when it airs, then with my Dr Who fan son when he gets a chance). I think the first time around, all those western-themed background things were kind of irritating.

As far as the cyborg, I think that he clearly has mercy still inside of him, or else he would have just come right in and started shooting up the place to get to Kahler-Jex. I think it was just a threat, or a threat plus his frustration at not being able to get to Jex, that made him say he was going to shoot up the whole town.

Also it wouldn't have been a story if he came in right away

But yes, it's complicated - but life is complicated, and it's truer to life when the bad guys have good sides, too.

The doctor mentioned his age, I think - it went by so fast, I wasn't sure. I think he said a number in the thousands. Did anyone else catch that? So yes, he was traveling alone for a while - after whenever he left Rory's dad.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #278
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't even watch Dr. Who, but I caught the ending of the last episode that was on (my mother was watching it) where they are setting up to switch out the Dr.'s companions (from Amy and Rory to we-know-not-who) and that was a major tear jerker! Even not knowing the characters much at all, I was sniffling.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #279
Rían

Yes, for not liking Amy that much, it was a pretty good episode. And how cheeky was that to make the Statue of Liberty "infested" with an angel!

I'm so looking forward to meeting the new companion!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #280
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

The last episode was good overall. Amy's decision at the end fit the way her character was portrayed.

I do not completely like/understand the Doctor not being able to go to certain areas or change certain events. I think this was put in to prevent havoc with story lines.

Just think if the Doctor could go and rescue Adric (or insert name here).

It would reduce the drama and/or tension if the Doctor could erase bad events or outcomes and make for a weaker show. IIRC this was somewhat touched upon in the Waters of Mars.

I am also looking forward to the new companion(s) and new adventures.