Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #261
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan

I have a question for SGH and Falagar; Which Tolkien message board would you want to see as #1? Entmoot or SF-Fandom?
This is a very difficult question. SF-Fandom is very dear to my heart. It was the first MB I ever went to when I first came on the internet. I moderated there first, and I owe part of my love of Tolkien and my love of moderating both here and there to SF-Fandom. One thing I have learned about both SF-Fandom and Entmoot, is that they cannot be compared in some ways. I think you will find a much older and conservative crowd at SF-Fandom. SF-Fandom also is a bit stricter in its posting policies compared to Entmoot. If I want to enjoy extreamly serious discussion about Tolkien, than SF-Fandom is the place to be. If I want to enjoy discussion on a more personal, free, and layed back level, Entmoot is where it's at.

Just one thing- In your comparison of SF-Fandom and Entmoot, I want to point out that SF-Fandom is the oldest and largest Tolkien site on the web, but they had a major server crash a little over a year ago and lost everything. So it may be a little unfair to compare them, by amount of members, threads, or posts since SF-Fandom is still recovering from such a devistating loss. I must say that although their comeback has been slow, they have made an impressive recovery.

Too answer the question: They are both #1 in my eyes.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #262
Beor
founder of the color blue

Very good honest answer, Sister Golden Hair.

So, what is going on here, can I pose a question to the candidates, or is that something only candidates can do?

(and can I even post here anymore ?)
Old 03-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #263
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
Very good honest answer, Sister Golden Hair.

So, what is going on here, can I pose a question to the candidates, or is that something only candidates can do?

(and can I even post here anymore ?)
You certianly may post here and pose questions Beor. Fire away.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #264
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Just one thing- In your comparison of SF-Fandom and Entmoot, I want to point out that SF-Fandom is the oldest and largest Tolkien site on the web, but they had a major server crash a little over a year ago and lost everything. So it may be a little unfair to compare them, by amount of members, threads, or posts since SF-Fandom is still recovering from such a devistating loss. I must say that although their comeback has been slow, they have made an impressive recovery.

Too answer the question: They are both #1 in my eyes.
I have to say that I would disagree with that statement. I highly enjoy Entmoot's friendly atmosphere and good moderation, I was discouraged by a member there from joining SF because it was very probable that I would be banned from it because the way that I post.
I personally don't know how could such a place be in the same status as entmoot, regardless of the scholarly content in there.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #265
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I have to say that I would disagree with that statement. I highly enjoy Entmoot's friendly atmosphere and good moderation, I was discouraged by a member there from joining SF because it was very probable that I would be banned from it because the way that I post.
I personally don't know how could such a place be in the same status as entmoot, regardless of the scholarly content in there.
What statement is it that you disagree with, that they had a major server crash, or that they have made a slow but impressive recovery?

Seriously though, as I stated, Entmoot is much more layed back and friendly. Did I not say they could and should not be compared in many ways. They are both good boards, both dedicated to Tolkien, but they each provide an individual atmosphere.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #266
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Seriously though, as I stated, Entmoot is much more layed back and friendly. Did I not say they could and should not be compared in many ways. They are both good boards, both dedicated to Tolkien, but they each provide an individual atmosphere.
How can a board be good if one of the mods advises me not to join that forum because I could get banned because of the way that I post. I love the works of JRRT and I like discussing them, shouldn't the mod of that place encourage people like me to join that forum too?
I will stick with entmoot all the way.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #267
Beor

Well, I havent been there, and I dont really plan on going, but I can say that the question asked Sister Golden Hair to compare them, and she did. Her opinion and experiences with SF Fandom obviously differ from yours, and thats cool. I'm not trying to be a dick, either, I am just defending my candidate.

Here is a question to the candidates: What exactly do you think your job as President of Entmoot entails? What do you intend to do on a daily basis, and what would you like to approve?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #268
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
How can a board be good if one of the mods advises me not to join that forum because I could get banned because of the way that I post. I love the works of JRRT and I like discussing them, shouldn't the mod of that place encourage people like me to join that forum too?
I will stick with entmoot all the way.
Now Maedhros, when I told you that you would probably get banned there, that was a long time ago and when you first came to Entmoot and told me about all the other MBs that you had been to and had problems with. You would be more than welcome to join SF-Fandom. My remarks were based on what you had told me about the other boards you had been on, not on your posts here at Entmoot.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #269
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

Here is a question to the candidates: What exactly do you think your job as President of Entmoot entails? What do you intend to do on a daily basis, and what would you like to approve?
Well, that first question may be a little difficult to answer. The position of President of Entmoot holds no power for the winner to be capable of doing much. I am an admin already and have as much power as there is, so nomatter who wins, nothing really will happen as far as being able to exercise any real changes.

One of the things that the president should make a big effort to do, is to attempt to promote more serious discussion of Tolkien's works in the book forums. There are few discussions going on that are intense. I along with Maedhros have attempted to revive discussion in the Sil forum with Maedhros' wonderful Silmarillion project, which has been a great success. azalea has followed with the book project in the LotRs book forum. Although probably every aspect of Tolkien has been discussed, it is a deep work that I am sure offers many in depth topics that if we try, could be brought to the forum. It only takes a little thought and study.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #270
Beor

Indeed, it does, but how do you encourage people to take the time to put thought into it, and study it? Is there anything you think you could do to promote something like this?

I agree with your answer, I am just trying to pick your brain. Hope I aint gettin' you mad, or anything.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #271
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Indeed, it does, but how do you encourage people to take the time to put thought into it, and study it? Is there anything you think you could do to promote something like this?

I agree with your answer, I am just trying to pick your brain. Hope I aint gettin' you mad, or anything.
C'mon now, getting me mad? I'm not that sensitive.

The inspiration to do that should already be there as Tolkien fans. It's more a matter of not being lazy, or making time to do it. Some are lazy, some are busy, but the inspiration is there.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #272
Beor

Cool. I'm satisfied

Any other candidates want to throw in their two cents? Cmon, dont be scared. Hector? Jonathan?
Old 03-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #273
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

A question to all candidates:

This message bored is based on Tolkien, but of course it has other aspects mainly in the fields of entertainment and 'healthy' debate (in GM). Apart from your knowledge of Tolkien what can you and more importantly, what have you add/added to these sections of Entmoot?
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 03-20-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #274
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf

This message bored is based on Tolkien, but of course it has other aspects mainly in the fields of entertainment and 'healthy' debate (in GM). Apart from your knowledge of Tolkien what can you and more importantly, what have you add/added to these sections of Entmoot?
Well, to be honest, outside of moderating in the other sections, I have added very little. I don't go to the movies much, and I don't watch a lot of TV, so there isn't much for me to add in the Entertainment forum. I hated Star Wars, so there's nothing in that forum for me. I haven't read Harry Potter, because I am too narrow minded to give any other fantasy novel a chance, outside of Tolkien. I could participate in the General Lit forum if I had a mind to, and I just don't really care much about the Writers Workshop forum.

I came to Entmoot for Tolkien, so those forums are to me what's important here. It would be nice to see some other popular forums created. I love Star Trek, so that would be one I would be active in.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #275
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:

I have posted quite a bit in all the forums, except harry potter forum, which ive never read (and never will, because as SGH said, I dont give much other fantasy stories a chance)
I have contributed several original threads in the LOTR movies forum, such as the "LotR remake cast and crew plans" thread, in which I displayed my responsibility to organize a crew (which was growing rapidly).

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-21-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #276
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
As SGH said, it may be difficult to answer this question. The President will still be an ordinary mooter and there is nothing that the President can do that the other mooters can’t. If I get elected, I will do about the same things as I have always done, that is to take part in discussions about Tolkien’s universe and talk about non-Tolkien related things in GM.

As I see it, the function of the President is to represent the mooters,. The President shouldn’t have a higher status or anything but the job should entail some extra responsibility. If I was elected to be the representative of the mooters, I would do my best not to spam, flame or in any other way violate the rules of Entmoot. As President, I would want to set an example for others to follow if they want – if the newbies see an all-around nice President who posts intelligent things and contributes to discussions in all fora, they see what a friendly atmosphere Entmoot has. I may be naïve but hopefully, the newbies will get the message that the rest of the mooters are equally nice, which is absolutely true. The newbies might want to take after the President and the mooters and make sure Entmoot continues to be a nice little oasis on the internet. I want to see that the warmth and kindness, which I find so characteristic of this community, remain for as long as I’m here (an eternity?).

I beg the mooters, vote for the candidate who you think will represent you the best.

Quote:

This message board is based on Tolkien, but of course it has other aspects mainly in the fields of entertainment and 'healthy' debate (in GM). Apart from your knowledge of Tolkien what can you and more importantly, what have you add/added to these sections of Entmoot?
As I said in a previous post in this thread, I have contributed with a few things. I was part of the Entmoot Book Club and participated in the reading of and discussion about Lord of the Flies. (Azaela, sorry that the discussion died out. I know how much you enjoyed talking about the book and I loved reading your posts after each chapter. I wish we could have done all of the chapters and finished the book).
I arranged last year’s Mud Wrestling Competition and believe me, it was hard work . I hope someone else wants to arrange a new competition this year, one competition was sufficient for me . Besides I don’t think the mud wrestlers want to see me as the absolute referee again
One of my earliest “contributions” to the Moot was the Most Wanted Mooters list.
*looks at list*
Hmm, I think maybe it needs to be updated with a few more new names…

As long as I am a mooter (forever?), I will try to come up with new funny things to say or to do. No new Mud Wrestling competitions though – I only work with new fresh ideas . There must be countless numbers of ways to help keeping up the friendly spirit and atmosphere of the Moot and I will try to do it in my way

I was thinking - does anyone think that there should be an oath for the President to swear after he or she gets elected? Something like “I swear to represent the mooters the best I can and to honour the memory of Tolkien, so help me Eru”. What do the voters think, what oath should their President have to swear?

http://my.hsonline.net/~rrosetta/ent...athan/jon1.jpg
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-20-2004 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #277
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:

I post a lot in the General Messages forum, contributing to the interesting and intelligent debate in "The REAL debate thread for RELIGION" and "Evidence for Creationism" among others. I also started the fun gathering place of the Teacup Cafe, which many Mooters have come to enjoy.
Hector works there as a waiter, Mooters can identify with such a hard-working and down-to-earth fellow.
I have posted a fair amount in the Harry Potter thread, which I've read and enjoyed
I also participate the Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels forum, where I started the "Arthurian Legends" thread. I've read quite an extensive variety of fantasy and science fiction novels.
Hector and I are the perfect team! He is an excellent Tolkien lover, so devoted that he can't bring himself to read another fantasy novel, yet, working in harmony with Mooters from all walks of life in the Teacup Cafe.
Vote Hector for President, and you'll bring in an intelligent leader who identifies well with all Mooters.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #278
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan

As I said in a previous post in this thread, I have contributed with a few things. I was part of the Entmoot Book Club and participated in the reading of and discussion about Lord of the Flies. (Azaela, sorry that the discussion died out. I know how much you enjoyed talking about the book and I loved reading your posts after each chapter. I wish we could have done all of the chapters and finished the book).
Aw, thanks, Jonathan. I tried to revive it, but I didn't see the sense in just posting six or eight more posts in a row by myself. Besides, I was eager to start the new LotR project!
Anyway, you just stole my vote away from FF (who had won it with cheesecake) for that sweet personal comment to me. Of course, I could be swayed towards a different candidate at the drop of a hat (Aren't I a sad statement on how easily a vote can be bought? )!

Everyone is doing so well replying to the questions, BTW! Good job to all!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #279
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

It's not sad, it just shows how great all the candidates are!
I'm participating in the LotR project, care to vote for "The Council of Entmoot"?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #280
azalea
Long lost mooter

Ah, yes! Well, no one said picking a winner among so many great candidates would be easy.