Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #261
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Maethor had been standing by himself at the reception when two unknown females approached him. His eyes scanned over them, a tall blonde wearing what he considered rather a strong shade of orange, and the other, a plump brunette who had chosen to wear green. To be careful, he quickly scanned their thoughts. He found both their minds filled with constant chatter about gossip, gowns and jewels, but mostly about prospective husbands and the king. He looked over their thoughts for anything that might be interesting to him. He found little, until this thought about Lady Aiwendis flashed across his mind: "...and she will introduce us to the King!" "They might prove useful," he thought, "in obtaining information."

"I am delighted to meet both of you!" he said, bowing. "I am Professor Maethor and I teach Siege Tactics. Now to your questions. To answer yours, Miriel, I am alone because I know few people in the city. Malaphel, I am not from Annuminas."

He grinned at both of them. "I would be highly honored if two such charming ladies as you would show me about the city tomorrow. I would like to see every landmark, every place of interest, any place you would care to show me. I am interested in purchasing a house here in the city. Perhaps, should you know of any for sale, you might guide me to that. I would be very grateful for all the assistance you could give me."

He guarded his mind tightly, and thought, "Yes, you trusting, silly girls, all the assistance you could give me."

He considered the other question about Lady Aiwendis. Recalling their first meeting in Tharbad that afternoon and the unpleasantness with Khamul, he thought it would be better to say little. "The Lady and I have not been formally introduced. Since you are her best friends, perhaps you would be so good as to introduce us. If you would be so kind, I would be forever in your debt," he said, turning on his best charm.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-13-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #262
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an and Eärniel listened to the men's tales with expressions of rapt attention on their faces. Their minds wandered at will among the various Elven realms when things got more technical than they wanted.

"And I certainly hope both of you ladies will attend the next game, and perhaps let me carry a small token from you as I play?" finished Tarmund gallantly (and hopefully).

"We will see," replied R*an, and smiled. But remembering her note from earlier that day, she knew that her answer would be no. She smiled more fully as she recalled what was written to her, and a light blush played across her cheeks, giving Tarmund some unintentional false encouragement.

"So, do the men of Tharbad play at any water sports?" Eärniel inquired with a mischevious smile.

R*an's mind flew back to the Havens. Both Eärniel and Eärendil, King Turgon's grandson and a half-elven like R*an, had come of age there. Ahh, the games - the intense competition, the skill and strength of the players, the interesting, intricate uniforms with various water themes, Eärendil's jewels ... er, jewel ...

and at the memory of the Silmaril and what had happened there because people loved things more than people, the light went out of her eyes.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-13-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #263
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Mahtaliel welcomed the boy's attempt at conversation with intense relief.

"New student?" She guessed. He looked about the same age as the king,
give or take a few years,guessig ages wasn't one of her strong points.

"Yes," he confirmed her guess, "I'm part of Val- The king's household. Guard and friend rolled into one you might say. Um... I meant to ask, well, you looked awfully shaken back there. If it was something I said I apologize."

Mahtaliel smiled, pleased by his politeness, "Thank you, but don't worry, it wasn't your fault. Events like this just tend to make me over tense. I didn't get out much during break and now suddenly it's the beginning of the term and there are new students, new professors and dignitaries all over the place all with their own set of tensions and dramas and here they are all crammed into a room. It's very..."

"Nerve-wracking?" He suggested.

"Precisely. What classes were you planning on taking Lord... ai! I am a mess tonight! What was your name again?"

"Marthalion, don't feel bad, they didn't really introduce us, or anyone yet."

"No, they didn't did they? Unusual. I'm Lady Mahtaliel, head of the Art and History departments, you'll likely be in at least one of my classes."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #264
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Beautiful boomerang was fluttering high over the streets of the twinkling city.

Basking in the fresh almost salty airs above the star be-jewelled river, surfing playfully on the eddies of the air ....

as the chimes of old Blue, the University bell had rung in the seventh hour of the evening with their deeply resonant hanging notes, Beautiful had suddenly focused and flew rapidly like a ... like a ... butterfly in haste

below the evening scenes of the City were being played out ... there was Constable BB, leaving the 'Singing Swan' and as boomerang arrowed in lower, he could just make out .... yes.... whistling cheerfully!

a dashing and very playful rider appeared to be heading towards him on a beautiful horse ....

flying closer to the university, and approaching the Cloisters at last he became aware of a sudden wave of excitement and noise ... ahhh! the Tortoises ... smiling, beautiful dropped headlong into the cloisters and into a cacaphony of owl hoots, squirrel chatter and wildy excited tortoise talk ...
not something you heard often: wildy excited tortoise talk! ... but boy, when they DID get excited they really lost it, there were songs, shouts, leathery claps, rythmic drumming noises ...

Boomerang was enjoying it immensly but he just in time noticed that there ahead just entering the reception was old Bumbledore. Boomerang smiled again.
Boomerang flitted nippily inside the opened door - just in time ... ere it was closed ... whew! that was close even for a wraith!

it being then just seven of the clock, all eyes had turned expectantly to the new arrival .... boomerang felt a sudden piercing lash of thoughts concentrated on his arrival ... Sir Bumbledore, must have felt it too, for not expecting so much sudden attention he had tried a doddery jaunty wave and had snagged his be-slippered foot, tripped, and careered wildly, arms and legs flailing willy nilly, and with a large squeachly THUD had landed nose first onto the red carpet ...

Boomerang soared high to the rafters to find a good vantage point....

.................................................. .........................................

Professor Bumbledore was exhilarated ... in his haste he'd hardly noticed at first the tortoise... funny that, he'd pondered ... that must be the 100th time a tortoise has walked me in to the reception ... he liked traditions though ... and was looking forward immensly to the post dinner annual pie -throwing contest... not the oddest of the university traditions by far, but always a good way to introduce the new professors and lecturers to the faculties and City at large... it had been a tradition since time out of mind and naturally he was looking forward to seeing so many old friends after the summer hols ... and of course meeting all the new academics in person ...

... the cloisters had been alive with wierd sounds, hoots, humming noises and squirrel chatter ... but bumble had been more concerned with quenching his thirst with a lively chilled white from the southern slopes of Belfalas ...
his family had traded that way for many a year and he had personally stocked the University cellars with many cases of fine wines ...

at last he had approached the doors, where young Bimble and his even younger brother bomble had welcomed him, as the university doorwards, dressed to the nines in the university regalia, with a warm smile ... the doors had opened ...

for a second, time had seemed to still, a wave of expectation, attention and thoughts had hit him ... Bumble wheezed gently and waved a jaunty hand ... suddenly he had lost his balance and toppled ... waving his arms and legs like one of the eastern statues he had traded to such great effect in his younger days, he had instantly nose-dived forward .... THUD!

No sooner had he been helped up by a group of helping hands, than there had been an important announcement and he had had to stand in line to receive the King ... now that had been mildly embarrasing ... as the king had entered and recieved bows and curtesys .. old bumbledore had been keeping his timing impecabbly ... so when the king was but 20 seconds away he had begun to bow ... this had worked a charm as by the time Valandil had reached him he was fully bowed ... unfortunately he appeared to have set off a timing gaff and a ripple effect of bows had spread all down the line behind him, as bows and curtesys were flowing down the line on his side, as one after another uncertainly followed suit ... now everytime the next person bowed or curtsied the trend continued ... ahhh! a tradition in the making he mused ...

The King though had not appeared to notice .. he seemed quite focused, almost distracted, thought Professor bumbledore, .. once the King and his entourage had passed, he wved at the wall-lined drink servers who were even now converging on him to be the first to serve his wine... and recieve the traditional Gold coin... bumble knew commerce... and he knew the delicacies of healthy reward and competition ... he also knew his wines, and was a very thirsty man!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 AM   #265
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Buteo the Buzzard saw something flit over the City, a tiny flying insect.
"That looks like a nice little tidbit. I'll swoop down at grab that morsel." he thought and swooped down into the Campus following that tiny flitting flying figure. But just as he was about snap it it flew into the Reception Hall and the doors closed. Just in in time Buteo swerved aside so he wouldn't slam into the glass-doors and headed up above the City again to continue his watching out for things interesting.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #266
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Malaphel was happy with her idea of befriending that tall handsome Professor, Maethor.
Miriel thought the younger sister was a bit dumb, but in fact, she always had the best ideas.
"Without me", Malaphel thought , "you would still be standing in a corner, like a wall-flower".

Taking Maethor's arms, one on the left, another on the right, MM's led their prize to the center of the hall. On their way, they passed the two she-elves, who have already managed to collect a crowd of nice young men about them. "Bloody pointy-eared fortune hunters," thought Miriel bitterly. However, surprisingly, they didn't seem to be interested in King Val.

The real threat in this respect was Aiwendis. While they approached the central group, MM's saw her shamelessly flaunting her jewelry in front of the King and a handsome one-eyed knight. Miriel's face felt hot with indignation, when she observed the King looking intimately right in the eyes of the Chancellor's daughter, while she was smiling back impudently.

"What a hypocrite!" thought Malaphel, who hadn't missed the scene either. "And she wanted us to believe she was never even interested in men!"

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 10-14-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #267
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Khamûl quietly observed the goings on in the room observed. Everyone was gathered round an elderly man telling tales of the Gladden.
'So he was there,' thought Khamûl. 'I may need to befriend this man. His defences don't seem to be to strong.'
Suddenly the attenion shifted from the old soldier to a younger man who Khamûl recognised. It was young Marthalion. A friend of Lily's. He was holding Aiwendis' hand admiring her Ring. Khamûl started to pay more attention and began to carefully delve deeper into his mind. He felt another presence there, a strong one, yet not one he recognised. Khamûl would have to be quick if he was to accomplish anything.
'Tell us of other's you know with Rings,' suggested Khamûl in Marty's head.
"Now... his is plainer, and has no stone," continued Marty. "But Valandil has an Elven ring too! Hey Valandil, can you show her your ring."
Suddenly Khamûl was very interested, but these hope were soon shot down by a quite and distant voice in his mind.
"Very good Khamûl," said the voice of the Chancellor. "You have much improved. Your defences are strong so that even I struggle to break them and you now posses the power of suggestion. But don't get to excited. He means the Ring of Barahir, one of th great heirlooms of Numenor."
Within five minutes the excitment died down and Khamûl approached the old soldier.
"I fear you have lost your audience," said Khamûl as pleasently as he could.
"Aye, I fear that to," replied the man. "I'm Estelmo, former esquire to Elendur, eldest son of Isildur and elder brother of our King."
"I'm Galadannûn. Professer of Oriental Languages," replied Khamûl.
"Good day Professer. You are new to Tharbad, no?"
"Yes, I arrived the other day."
"Can I get you a drink. I see your goblet is empty."
"No, I'm sorry. I need to talk to young Aiwendis before the evening is out. Maybe we could meet tomorrow. You could tell me some of your tales, maybe even recount the glorious fall of your master."
"Yes, that'd be good. Let's say midday at the Red Herring."
"I'll see you there," replied Khamûl, turning towards Aiwendis.
"Hello my lady. I'm sorry about earlier on. It's just Ud.. I mean Maethor has been plaging me longer than I'd like."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 10-15-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #268
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Hearing Khamul’s voice, Aiwendis quickly moved away from the main group. She didn’t like the Second, and was more than a little afraid of him.
"Ah yes, My Lord … Galadannun, is it? Nice to meet you. Welcome to Tharbad and to our house".

Looking around, Aiwendis moved even further from the King and continued,
"I heard you were taking over the Chair of Oriental Languages. The University is fortunate to have you. Thank you that you agreed to come here. The former Professor had a tragic accident while riding… his horse suddenly bolted, and he broke his neck. He was such a charming man, Professor Barandur."

"How unfortunate for him", grinned Galadannun. "Did anybody see it happen?"
"Yes of course, it has happened right in the middle of the main street, Menetar, on a Market day. Nobody understood what has frightened the horse."

Khamul smiled again, a cruel, tight smile. Suddenly all his senses bristled. He turned his head sharply and saw Udu approaching, a broad smile on his face, towing two mortal girls with him. Aiwendis moaned inaudibly. The MM’s were coming at her.
The girls rushed forward.

"Sorry to interrupt you Ai, but we most certainly need to present our new friend to you" cried Malaphel, pushing Udu forward.
"His name is Maethor and he is a new Professor here! Can you imagine, nobody thought to present him to you!" squealed Miriel.

Aiwendis curtseyed slightly in greeting, and said coldly, without a smile, her bright eyes hidden behind long lashes, "Nice to meet you, Lord Maethor. Welcome to Tharbad and to this house. Here is Professor Galadannun, your new colleague"

Last edited by Gordis : 10-14-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #269
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

In the crowded cloisters suddenly the mood had changed from excitement and merriment to shock and anger ... a foreign predator bird had invaded Tharbad and attempted to assasinate one of the leaders of Air and what's more the eldest and most prominent alliance lord in the West ... Walnut the Squirrel leader had chattered out a steady stream of swear words and orders ... bushy tails were leaping at lightning speed in every direction ...several Owls were hooting and taking flight taking messages East, West, North ans South, while after a very quick debate the remaining Owls took wing and flew at the Buzzard in an attacking V wing...

Quickly word reached Purple-heart the veterean butterfly of the attack ... Cruel Claw, lord of the Tharbad guild of predators, but two minutes later was informed ...

Within 10 minutes the Buzzard had been torn apart... and the skies over Tharbad were humming in the evening air, even the bees and the wasp wings were co-operating ...

calls were to be sent out to Wise-whit and for the first time Lomi was to be called to attend with her father the grand Council ... was this an act of war from rival predators or the act of one mad or rogue killer?

was a War coming? An emergency meeting of the Grand Council must be held ...
Old 10-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #270
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Maethor walked arm in arm with Miriel and Malaphel. Their thoughts were simple to read, nothing complicated there. Obviously, each sister was jealous of the other. They certainly did not like elves, nor did they like the attention that Aiwendis had been receiving from King Valandil.

Turning to Miriel and Malaphel, he smiled and reclaimed his arms. Then, with a full, low courtly bow, he greeted Aiwendis. "It is indeed a pleasure to meet you, my lady. Thank you for welcoming me to the city." Then turning to Khamul, he nodded slightly. "Professor Galadannun, an honor to meet you. I am sure we will have a most pleasant and beneficial association."

He stepped back slightly. "These charming ladies, Miriel and Malaphel, have been most kind as to offer to guide me about the city tomorrow. Charming, are they not?" he said as he listened to their giggling.

He turned his attention from looking into the minds of Miriel and Malaphel. He knew Aiwendis was uncomfortable with the situation. He blocked his thoughts carefully against others and channeled a thought to Aiwendis: "Is Khamul distressing you again as he did this afternoon?"

"Yes, yes, Miriel and Malaphel have vowed to show me every landmark and point of interest in this city. If they would be so kind as to help me, perhaps I will look for a more permanent dwelling here. However, I am in no hurry to move from my quarters here. There is such an opportunity to be exposed to a wide variety of interesting people here. Nothing like a university for wide diversity," he said casually as he took a goblet from the tray of a passing servant.

"Professor Galadannun, perhaps you should come over to my quarters some evening. We can discuss our respective fields of teaching and interests... over some wine, of course."

He sent this message to Khamul in thought: "Am I irritating you that badly, my friend?" and smiled his usual smile which seldom went to his eyes.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #271
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

The Chancellor had just turned from Aiwendis to Valandil, asking, "I see, my Lord King, you still have the sword of your valiant father at your side. How was it possible to save it from the orcs?"

"When word arrived at Imladris of the attack, we organized a search party - which I led, though still no more than a boy... at the time. We found the field of battle, found Estelmo," Valandil nodded toward the older gentleman, "being tended at a woodsman's cottage, and finally found this sword at the River's edge, along with some other effects of my father's."

"Oh - pray tell, what other things did he leave behind which were at least recovered?" asked the Chancellor.

But just then Aiwendis stepped discretely apart from the little group to join the very same professor who had accompanied Valandil on the ride back from Swanfleet... Galadnunn? Or something like it? ... Galadanunn - that was it! Valandil looked about the room a bit more and saw another professorial type coming in their general direction with two young ladies - one on each arm. He sighed... probably young eligible daughters of local nobles, coming to be introduced to the High King.

But the Chancellor had just asked him a question. "Oh - not much to speak of, if you'll excuse me." and then he headed toward another point in the room. He had seen that some of his team-mates had cornered a couple Elf maidens, including EARNIEL... and felt that he ought to join in. After all, rochdol players could get...

He arrived to overhear Eärniel asking one of them with a smile and a wink toward her friend, "So, do the men of Tharbad play at any water sports?"

"Why of course we do," said Valandil as he stepped into the group. "At least we, all about this kingdom, who are descended of Numenor - where all were expert sailers, swimmers and who played games of all manner in the water."

He then turned to face Eärniel directly and said with a slight smile of his own, "Thy friend I know not, but thee I feel I have seen before, but as if in a dream under moonlight. Fair was that dream - if dream it was, and fair of a different kind is this vision of thee by firelight."

'You idiot!' he thought to himself. 'Totally botched that first chance in the swamp and now you've already said too much right away at your second chance!' but he stood nonetheless, facing the ladies expectantly.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-15-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #272
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Eärniel chuckled shortly and smiled but Valandil noticed it was not to mock his words, much to his relief.

"Any dream that relieves an injured ankle - be it under moonlight of light of flames- is fair indeed, I would say." Eärniel responded. "But had it been truly a dream I fear you would still be counting the passing swans in Nîn-In-Eilph at this moment, my lord."

Eärniel had known the High King would be present this night but his entering their conversation all of a sudden was still unexpected. She had assumed the likes of the Chancellor and his fair daughter (not to mention the scores and scores of eager, young damsels) would have kept him occupied for the remainder of the night.

But she perceived that he had not sought out their company on a whim. She could already feel two pairs of angry eyes boring in the back of her head. Oh, she had not missed the two sisters who had conned a professor into introducing them into the circle of the Chancellor and the King, only to see that very King high-tail out of there! They would no doubt blame R*an and herself for the failure of their rather obvious plot. Praise to Ilúvatar for remembering to make Elves stare-proof! It was perhaps not the best way to get acquinted with new class mates, Eärniel mused. But it could not be helped.

But there was more than the mere wish of being rid of those two prospective young queens that had brought the King here. She noticed there was a certain... protectiveness in his eyes when he looked at the other Rochdol-players. It was as if he was warning his team-mates to be at their best behaviour. Eärniel was amused. So alike Nardol... Although she doubted either of them would like to hear that.

"But let me introduce my companion." Eärniel said as she placed her hand on R*an's shoulder. "My lord, this is Lady R*an of Gondolin, a long time friend of mine that has been so kind to accompany me tonight."

Last edited by Earniel : 10-15-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #273
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
removed.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 10-16-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #274
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Khamûl smiled back at his fellow Nazgûl.
"It would be my pleasure," replied Khamûl, at which point Udu's smile vanished. "Yet alas, I have to return to my brother and sister. Maybe another time."
'You just keep thinking of your land and wives. Maybe I should send them a small message!; replied Khamûl mentally.
"Maybe we could have a drink now instead," said Khamûl, raising his goblet and gesturing towards a nearby table which stood empty.
Heasitently Udu walked towards the table, obviously wary of a trap.
"You need not be scared Maethor. I have not lured you over here under false pretences. We need to talk, about the others."
"Others?" replied Udu.
"Ladies Lilaewen, Viniglaen and Lord Pengolod."
"What about them," said Udu slowly.
"You may have found out about what happened earlier with Lady Lilaewen," said Khamûl.
"Ah yes. With the Ring," smiled Udu. He had never really got on with Lily two compatriots.
"Yes, well. I fear that they may be mounting an assault on me," said Khamûl.
"And this would involve me how?" replied Udu, his smile increasing.
"I need to know that your alliegence is to the Chancellor and I, not to them. I know we have never been best of friends to say the least, but the Chancellor will reward you when we are done here, if you pledge your alleigence to us."
Maethor grinned, Khamûl was asking for his help.
Khamûl grinned back, he felt Udu weaken slightly. He had him where he wanted him. Was he on side? Perhaps, only time would tell.
"Now if you don't mind, I need to go and talk to Lady Aiwendis," said Khamûl.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 10-15-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #275
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an saw a young man dressed in deep, dark blue come up to their group, and came out of her reverie. She recognized him to be the High King by the emblems of his house which he wore. "They suit him well," she thought, "they seem to complement what is truly inside him, instead of covering up what is lacking."

"Why of course we do," said the young man in answer to Eärniel's question, as he stepped into the group. "At least we, all about this kingdom, who are descended of Numenor - where all were expert sailers, swimmers and who played games of all manner in the water."

She watched him with interest as he turned to face her friend more directly. He spoke courteously and well, as befits a High King. And he was very attractive, too, which is not strictly necessary for the role, but is never amiss. Unless one doesn't like being pursued by the ladies! But he looked as if he could take care of himself.

The Rochdel player standing next to Eärniel looked distinctly disappointed at the arrival of the King.

"Hmm, you are courteous indeed, Valandil Isildurion; methinks more courteous than is strictly necessary!" she observed, as the King moved just a little closer to her friend.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 10-15-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #276
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Aiwendis was talking with Galadannun, when she saw MM’s approaching, hanging on both arms of Maethor. They rushed to her, chattering incoherently, as usual, and calling her "Ai". Aiwendis hated when someone shortened her name. Trained as she was to keep her emotions under tight control, she still couldn’t restrain an almost audible half-moan half-growl. In all her long life, she hardly knew anyone as utterly irritating as MM’s. "Perhaps I am growing too old for innocent maiden’s talk… " she thought bitterly.

At this moment, a thought from Udu flashed through her brain. "Is Khamul distressing you again as he did this afternoon?"

Aiwendis smiled and replied, careful to channel her thought precisely. "Thank you, Udu, ever are you nice and caring. Not, not Khamul, but these girls prove most distressing to me. Please, keep them with you and allow me to escape".

But there was no escape. Nothing but brute force could save Aiwendis now. Gripped by MM’s on both sides, she was steadily driven towards the King, who, oblivious to everything, was talking with Lady Earniel.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-15-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #277
Rían

"But let me introduce my companion." Eärniel said as she placed her hand on R*an's shoulder. "My lord, this is Lady R*an of Gondolin, a long time friend of mine that has been so kind to accompany me tonight."

The king turned to face R*an and gave her a pleasant smile, which was mirrored in his eyes, as it should be. Smiles involving only part of the face are not pleasant things. They were exchanging courtesies when they noticed a determined group of people coming their way. The king stiffened slightly and put on a more formal demeanor.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #278
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

“Khamûl has changed little over the years since I last saw him,” Udu thought with irritation. “Just as arrogant and self-confident as ever.”

Maethor was sitting at a table at the side of the room and scarcely noticed the serving girl when she refilled his goblet. “How many have I drunk tonight?” he wondered. “Was it three? Was it six? What does it matter anyway?”

At least he was not allowing himself to be led around by Miriel and Malaphel right now, but he would continue to watch their thoughts to see if they revealed anything interesting. “Doubtful,” he thought, “unless I want to find out the latest trivial gossip.”

Aiwendis was obviously not enjoying the presence of the two sisters. “I am afraid I cannot divert their attention from you unless I use measures that would attract attention. If I can, I will offer to dance with them, though I do not enjoy that prospect. If Khamûl proves too much of a bother to you, perhaps I will think of something to distract him,” he told her in thought.

He had resented that implied threat that Khamûl had sent him mentally: “You just keep thinking of your land and wives. Maybe I should send them a small message!”

What kind of message, Maethor pondered. Khamûl’s agents back in the East, of course! Ever was he treacherous! A knife hurled by an assassin? An ambush? A poisonous serpent hidden in a bolt of fine cloth sent as a “gift” to one of his wives? Or perhaps a beautiful, inlaid jewelry box with a mechanism that would prick their fingers with poison-drenched shards of metal? Oh, Khamûl had his ways, Maethor thought. When the news would finally reach Udu at last, Khamûl would be oh-so-sympathetic about the “tragedy.”

“You need not be scared Maethor,” Khamûl had told him. Udu was not afraid for himself, but he would remember Khamûl’s thinly veiled threat to his family. Irritated, Maethor warned Khamûl in thought, “I am not afraid of you. Keep your jackals away from my family! I am not without devices of my own.

“You ask where my allegiance lies, my friend? Primarily with myself, and I will not commit otherwise, unless I am forced! And there is nothing that you could do if I decided upon the morrow to shake the dust of this town from my boots, mount my horse, and ride away! Nothing that would not attract great attention, anyway. I do not think you want that.” Maethor smiled his cold smile and sipped from his goblet.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #279
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The help came from the Captain. Aiwendis and MM’s were already quite close to the group of chatting Elves and rochdol-players, when the Chancellor stepped in their path.

"Aiwendis, don’t tarry here with your friends", he said, nodding briefly to the curtseying MM’s. It is time for dinner. Go and see if all is ready."

"All shall be done as you say, my father".
Aiwendis bowed to the Chancellor and heard his silent order. "Place Estelmo on your left, instead of Oreturion. This one shall sit on my right, next to the elf, Earniel. I want to be between him and the King. Watch this man, he is dangerous. And don’t forget the old custom."

Then, turning his cold gaze on the two Tharbad girls, he smiled at them and said pleasantly, "Fair maids, welcome to the Reception. Please, go find your father, Lord Azrabel and your lady mother. I will introduce them to the King."
Old 10-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #280
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Left alone for a time, the Chancellor quietly observed his guests, all thoughts concealed by the adamant walls of his mind-shield. Ages of dealing with the temperamental Black Maia had made the Morgul Lord’s mind-shield unusually strong, even for a ringwraith.

The King was speaking with Earniel the Elf, his blushed cheeks of an amorous schoolboy plain to see. One needs not to be a sorcerer to guess what it was all about… Perhaps it was a mistake to invite the Elf. Not that there seemed to be another option… Perhaps the potion, that Aiwendis prepared last night, will overrule Valandil’s ill-begotten infatuation with the Elf.

The Chancellor’s dark thoughts turned to Oreturion. The advisor was in constant communication with the King, the Morgul Lord was sure of it, though he couldn’t read the messages passing by. He was strong, that advisor, stronger than the boy-King, son of a sorcerer.

The Chancellor considered his options. Mortals knew four levels of mind-discipline. Elves knew five. There were nine that the Morgul Lord could use himself, though the upper four would be, doubtless, considered Evil Black Sorcery by the unlearned. These levels included breaking people’s minds asunder in order to read the innermost secret thoughts, zombieing people, by implanting the desired behavioural patterns in their minds, causing strong emotions, like abject fear, in a multitude of people and affecting physical objects at a distance. The use of any of these skills was far too revealing.

The fifth level, the one known to Elves, included putting an impenetrable shield around a person, a sort of thick cocoon, preventing all mind communication or mind-reading. The Chancellor considered doing it to Valandil, but decided against. Becoming suddenly mentally deaf and mute was too stressful, and was bound to alert him unduly. Instead, the Chancellor decided to put the cocoon on Oreturion, for a brief time, when the potion will be presented to the King. At least, the advisor will not prevent the King from drinking it.

At this moment fat Azrabel and his bony wife Nimloth bowed to the Chancellor, their excited rosy - cheeked daughters in tow. Ilmenzor greeted the Governor, and led him to the King, interrupting his silly attempts at courting Earniel.

"I am loath to interrupt you, My Lord King", said the Chancellor with one of his charming smiles, "but here is Lord Azrabel, the Governor of Tharbad, and Lady Nimloth, his wife and our distant relative."