Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #261
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, that will obviously have to be Nami and Starbucks then

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #262
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol well i walked into that one!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #263
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Mhm lol... Nami and Quickleaf, I think I have a proper answer: it may or it may not happen

I think if you want a relationship in writing to play out well it needs to be slightly impulsive. So there definitely won't be any pre-planning if it happens..

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 02-23-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #264
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Wait! I thought Nami and Quickleaf were a couple

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #265
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol i dont know were you all get this thing with nami and quickleaf really!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #266
Coffeehouse

Naw Acally, they aren't a couple, just good friends. Come what may come I guess
Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #267
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

see this is how rumours start!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #268
Acalewia

She did get pretty jealous when Aerin started nursing Quickleaf

I think Tabril and whatshisname left the game so there's really only one couple and two close friends that could possibly be couples

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #269
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

are you trying to play match maker!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #270
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

...and I've kinda dropped off the face of the earth. What all has happened, or will happen?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #271
Mari
Elf Lady

Don't worry, I dragged you along. Or the other way around. Either way, you're still with us, we are traveling by rafts down the river with the raftelves and now we are making camp for the night while dinner apparently has just been served.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #272
Coffeehouse

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I see there are parts in my last LLL post that does not entirely add up to the canon of Tolkien concerning the origin of the wine, etc. Since there is indeed wine that hails from the area around the Sea of Rhûn, in Dorwinion, I will make some changes to the post to see if I can make it fit together
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #273
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
are you trying to play match maker!
No! I don't think she wants to anyway

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #274
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I see there are parts in my last LLL post that does not entirely add up to the canon of Tolkien concerning the origin of the wine, etc. Since there is indeed wine that hails from the area around the Sea of Rhûn, in Dorwinion, I will make some changes to the post to see if I can make it fit together
Well, there's fairly little canon dealing with Dorwinion to my knowledge. Me, I always assumed Dorwinion was an Elven settlement on the slopes of the Rhun mountains next to the sea. And that those Elves and the Raft-Elves were independent from the other Elf-realms. But I remember older threads that suggested Dorwinion was likely a human kingdom. I think any interpretation is fair game, really.

There is one thing, though. Thorin III is King of the Lonely Mountain, not king of the Iron Hills. Although, the Iron Hills in the Fourth Age are not defined, they were not a kingdom before, but if they are now, who rules them? In fact, is there any Dwarf left at all, haven't they all moved to the Mountain by now? I reckon Erebor has better mines and dwelling quarters and there weren't too many Dwarves left at the time, so they may not have been able to populate both dwellings. Hm, would make a good thread in the Tolkien discussions!

(And wouldn't messages travel more quickly from the Iron Hills through Erebor to Thranduil's hall, instead of taking a detour along the river through the pople of the east and the Raft-Elves? But it's fine with me either way)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #275
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
There is one thing, though. Thorin III is King of the Lonely Mountain, not king of the Iron Hills. Although, the Iron Hills in the Fourth Age are not defined, they were not a kingdom before, but if they are now, who rules them? In fact, is there any Dwarf left at all, haven't they all moved to the Mountain by now? I reckon Erebor has better mines and dwelling quarters and there weren't too many Dwarves left at the time, so they may not have been able to populate both dwellings. Hm, would make a good thread in the Tolkien discussions!

(And wouldn't messages travel more quickly from the Iron Hills through Erebor to Thranduil's hall, instead of taking a detour along the river through the pople of the east and the Raft-Elves? But it's fine with me either way)
To me it would seem entirely natural that King Thorin III Stonehelm was the ruler of both the Lonely Mountain and the Iron Hills, and would make regular visits to his 'homeland', residing there too. From a commerce point of view it makes a lot of sense, with more mines to benefit from. So I can imagine that the Iron Hills we are approaching is a full-fledged and active part of the Dwarf kingdom.. but if you have other ideas sure I can change it

According to www.tuckborough.net, an online encyclopedia for the Tolkien world (which is consistent with citing its sources):

"In 2590 of the Third Age, a group of Dwarves led by Gror settled in the Iron Hills. Gror and his followers had fled from the Grey Mountains because of increasing attacks by Dragons from the Northern Waste. Gror's father Dain I and brother Fror had been killed by a Cold-drake. Gror's other brother Thror led another group of Dwarves to the Lonely Mountain. The Dwarves of the Iron Hills traded iron ore with the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain.

In 2799, Gror's son Nain led an army from the Iron Hills to help the Dwarves fight the Orcs in the Battle of Azanulbizar. The Dwarves of the Iron Hills helped turn the tide of the battle to victory. Nain was slain by the Orc-leader Azog before the eastern gate of Moria, but Nain's son Dain Ironfoot avenged him by killing Azog.

Dain Ironfoot led his army back to the Iron Hills and became the leader of his people. The Dwarves of the Iron Hills lived in peace and prosperity for many years. They were especially known for inventing a fine metal mesh that could be used for making flexible items such as leg-coverings.

In 2941, Dain Ironfoot received a request for aid from the Lonely Mountain where Thorin and Company had barricaded themselves to prevent the Men of Lake-town and the Elves of Mirkwood from claiming a share of the treasure recovered from Smaug the Dragon. Dain led a force of over 500 strong and well-armed Dwarves as swiftly as he could to the Lonely Mountain. But when they arrived they learned that an army of Orcs and Wargs was about to attack. Dain decided to join forces with the Men and Elves against their common enemies, and they defeated the Orcs and Wargs in the Battle of the Five Armies.

Thorin Oakenshield died in the battle, and Dain became King under the Mountain. He relocated to the Lonely Mountain and many other Dwarves joined him. It is not known what became of the settlement of Dwarves in the Iron Hills - though it seems likely that the mines would have been maintained."

The http://tolkiengateway.net also has this interpretation:

"Thorin III Stonehelm (Third Age 2866 – Fourth Age) was the son and heir of Dáin II Ironfoot of Durin's folk, who was king of the Dwarves of Erebor and the Iron Hills in Wilderland."

The message part is just a creation from my part to get some story though..

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 02-24-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #276
Earniel

Quote:
So I can imagine that the Iron Hills we are approaching is a full-fledged and active part of the Dwarf kingdom.. but if you have other ideas sure I can change it
Naah, no need to change it. I hadn't decided much on the Iron Hills for this game myself, and I reckon it makes sense to bring the Iron Hills into the lonely Mountain Kingdom, if only for access to the mines. It's perfectly fine as it stands now.

Quote:
The message part is just a creation from my part to get some story though..
I know, it was just a thought that struck me while looking at the map that it seemed a bit of a detour, especially since having to row upstream on the Running-river towards Greenwoud would also slow the message service down.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #277
Coffeehouse

Great! I admit it makes little sense with the message on that distance but maybe there is some hidden reason that is hard to fathom Or not

But we are going to the Iron Hills right? I wonder how long left of the quest there is. If it were up to me it would go one for some time.. what do others think?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #278
Earniel

Quote:
Great! I admit it makes little sense with the message on that distance but maybe there is some hidden reason that is hard to fathom Or not
maybe the Elves' way of saying: 'we're not in a hurry?'

Quote:
But we are going to the Iron Hills right? I wonder how long left of the quest there is. If it were up to me it would go one for some time.. what do others think?
Yup, the Iron Hills are our next destination, but the Hills are large, we may not even run into a single Dwarf if the quest leads us to the opposite side of the Hills. And there is no telling if our path stops there or continues to another place. Nope, the quest is far from finished just yet.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #279
Coffeehouse

Quote:
maybe the Elves' way of saying: 'we're not in a hurry?'
Lol.. perhaps.

Quote:
Yup, the Iron Hills are our next destination, but the Hills are large, we may not even run into a single Dwarf if the quest leads us to the opposite side of the Hills. And there is no telling if our path stops there or continues to another place. Nope, the quest is far from finished just yet.
Swell.. just swell
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #280
Acalewia

Is that sarcasm, Starbux?

Closed Thread