Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #261
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Hmm. Different character response than the one I expected. I expected you'd give me directions that would guide me straight to the Lonely Mountain .
that's the human (and female) in me - unpredictable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
... half Elven satisfaction ... what would Earniel's mum think??
Hey, I never gave specifics - I can innuendo with the best of 'em, tho!

(I'll just say that RÃ*an's views of those matters sides entirely - at least so far - with the elvish view as stated by JRRT in his essay "Laws and Customs Among the Eldar" in HoME 10, Morgoth's Ring )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #262
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
But I'm curious, would Elves turn to the King of Men to solve matters? I always got the impression that Elves answered to their own leaders, regardless of the human Kings that held the lands surrounding them.
Good point. I didn't realize at that time that Val was a man. I was actually rather playing under the assumption that everyone was an elf. My bad, most definitely. That's what comes of not reading CrazySquirrel and Lotesse's advice and reading all the thread first .

I think this matter can be reasonably explained away, however. Tell me what you think.

My explanation: The petitioners aren't all elves. Those that are elves might have over time integrated with Val's kingdom. So there are men and elves. This was a time of alliance between men and elves also, so greater connection between the two makes some sense from a historical standpoint.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #263
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
*checks own map if drought at Grey-flood has consequences for Nîn In Eilph.* Doesn't look that way.
But the civilizations are very close. The Glanduin and Mitheithel are tributaries to the Grey-Flood, and they run through Nîn In Eilph. So I rather think the elven settlement would be feeling it some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
that's the human (and female) in me - unpredictable!!
Well, I'm glad you're unpredictable. I didn't really fancy a journey to the Lonely Mountain, in fact .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #264
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
My explanation: The petitioners aren't all elves. Those that are elves might have over time integrated with Val's kingdom. So there are men and elves. This was a time of alliance between men and elves also, so greater connection between the two makes some sense from a historical standpoint.
Sounds good to me. That way the people in Tharbad won't be too surprised to have Elves and Half-Elves, like RÃ*an and me, running around their city. Which incidentally makes it easier for us to play.

Quote:
But the civilizations are very close. The Glanduin and Mitheithel are tributaries to the Grey-Flood, and they run through Nîn In Eilph. So I rather think the elven settlement would be feeling it some.
Yes, but the Grey-flood receives water from the Hoarwell, the Bruinen and the Glanduin, while the Glanduin alone is responsible for the swamps of Nîn In Eilph. So technically, supposing the problem is at the source of the Hoarwell or the Bruinen, Nîn In Eilph should barely feel a thing. But I reckon that, even so, the water level in the swamp would probably drop somewhat if the water level of the Grey-flood drops. So yes, you're probably right. I'll keep that in account from now on.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #265
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
heh CS ... any advice for my chat with ref: the squirrel clan meeting? wanna play Acornagorn for me? ... it won't be a large part ... probably!
No time, BB, I have Lily on my hands. I am not too good in writing meaningless posts about Squirrels and such (mark you, I didn't mention Butterflies), though I admit you do it masterfully! No offence, please BB!

TD, I am glad you liked my "man". Let him become Khamul.

Omar Sharif could be proposed to GW.

BB, if you can find a sexier Gordis, please post it. Let her choose. Gor, could you find a pic yourself?

I am still confused with all these new developments.

And perhaps I am wierd, but I don't think this plot with elves and river and ecology should be developed further. No offence. But, man, we have the Ring and Nazgul and housekeepers and students etc. on our hands already not to speak about this Barlog? coming to tharbad.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #266
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

What's this about a Balrog? On which post did that enter the story?

EDIT: Hang on . . . are you referring to my character?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #267
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
And perhaps I am weird, but I don't think this plot with elves and river and ecology should be developed further. No offence. But, man, we have the Ring and Nazgul and housekeepers and students etc. on our hands already not to speak about this Barlog? coming to tharbad.
I agree with you here, CS.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #268
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Lotesse and CrazySquirrel, I respect your viewpoints.

Let me tell you about one of my ways of doing things. I like to create little mysteries without explaining everything about them. Characters to other players figure out these mysteries, and they aren't all separate adventures. What I'm trying to do at this moment in the RPG is bind everything together. Ring, Nazgul, Balrog, ecology and all. It's all one plot, not multiple separate plots. If they were multiple completely separate plots, then I would agree with you. Having the ecology thing as well seems a bit overwhelming. Heck, I like just having one plot thread. Having just two that are completely separate can be complicated.

What I'm doing right now is binding everything together into one massive plot thread. Of course, if you want me to keep my prying hands off, that's completely fine. I'll accept that, and probably leave the game, just because it is so hard for me to avoid plotting!!! (Weeps) So hard.

I am not trying to control anyone's characters at all. Everyone has complete free will. I'm just trying to bring purpose and direction to the game, something that I almost do automatically. It's the way my mind works.

So I'd like it if you would trust me . These aren't separate plot threads. They aren't an overwhelming hurdle. If they were, I would not only agree with you, I would applaud your judgment. Five or six totally different plot threads all at the same time is TOO MUCH.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #269
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well ... the ecology bit is good, i am all for that, we butterflies need our habitats!

mmm interesting to see what is in the coach (the coach probably should be locked) ...

mind you lief ... i suspect some nazgul will not be happy with announcing so loudly we are here ... we are here in secret!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #270
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The Nazgul call is a strange tongue. Nobody can understand the words, just like in the book.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #271
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

plus i don't in anyway see seperate plots here ... it's all one ... merely the many parts mixing in the gumbo of our pot-boiler ...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #272
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I think the plot threads do appear fairly separate right now. Do you know how the Ring relates to the Nazgul, at present? Or how the Nazgul relate to the ecology? I just hope people will trust me to interlink everything (unless they don't want me to, of course. I like organization and plot focus, but others have different personalities).

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #273
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Lief

could i ask you to slow down a tad please (know that sounds wierd coming from me .. so all involved can add their input! )

for sure i have my own ideas too, but i like people to feel they have some (more than some!) involvement in an rpg ... not have it done for them, y'know?

could you take that on board and let it remain interactive?

for example gordis has stated she wants the coming of the Nazgul to be secret ... many have taken time with cover stories ... perhaps shouting out heh we are nazgul and we are here! ... could be looked at?

many thanks
BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-09-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #274
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Lotesse and CrazySquirrel, I respect your viewpoints.
I'm just trying to bring purpose and direction to the game, something that I almost do automatically.
You mean our game had no purpose before the Saviour in the guise of a bloated Barlog with a weak nazgul cry had come?
Have you bothered to read the RPG by now? You surely didn't before you started posting your nonsense.
It was a serious RPG, now it is ruined.

Quote:
So I'd like it if you would trust me .
I can't.

Quote:
What I'm doing right now is binding everything together into one massive plot thread. Of course, if you want me to keep my prying hands off, that's completely fine.
Yes I do. I say it officially. KEEP YOUR PRYING HANDS OFF.

One of us will quit now. You or me. Let the others vote.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #275
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I have no problem with cutting out the loud call. I can find some way to discreetly request the Nazgul's presence.

I did not mean to make others feel uninvolved. I don't mean to ruin anything that has been happening.

Please don't make this confrontation happen, CrazySquirrel. I'm backing off. If you push this forward, I assure you that I will leave the RPG altogether. It's not a "you or me." You automatically win. I've deleted the contents of my last two posts, and if you ask me to, I'll delete more.

More than one story can definitely happen at once, if you all wish . I wanted my character to meet with the Nazgul to see if they could work together on a plan, though of course any uninterested Nazgul could totally refuse. I thought this would be fun for all. Clearly I'm running people over by accident-you're right, Butterbeer, moving too fast. I'm an unknown character wandering in, acting like he knows everything and rules the world. Once again, I apologize!

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #276
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Wherever Lilly and Pengolod go, Viniglaen follows. She is extremely loyal that way. I, for one, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, would be devastated if CS left. There, so I said it.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #277
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Wherever Lilly and Pengolod go, Viniglaen follows. She is extremely loyal that way. I, for one, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, would be devastated if CS left. There, so I said it.
This is not going to be a vote. It was your game way before I came in.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #278
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

CS, calm down a bit!

I can appreciate what you are saying but i just think Lief is very keen is all!
I have no doubt he has some good ideas ..as do we all ... Lief .. could you just slow down a bit please so everyone can feel valued.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention to say the rpg had no value or direction ... and i am interested to hear your ideas ... but as in any rpg ... theres got to be some give and take ... and time for people to get to know new characters!

and we all like to discuss where it's going!

CS ... please have a think about it ... you know if it came to it i would side with you (sorry Lief) but both you guys ... i really hope you both stay ... again i'm sure Lief didn't mean it the way you took it ...

though to be fair Lief i had to read that post twice myself!

i'm going to bed in a mo' ... i'll be able to post a little in the morning, but unfortunately i'll be away from then till tuesday ... so guys please don't blow this up while i'm away!

...that'd be a fine birthday present!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #279
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Oh hell, I dont want CS to leave! Why would she want to do that?

Welcome in Lief! Good to see you took the plunge!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #280
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
for example gordis has stated she wants the coming of the Nazgul to be secret ... many have taken time with cover stories ... perhaps shouting out heh we are nazgul and we are here! ... could be looked at?
One thing about my offensive and now deleted posts on the RPG was that the cry was coming from a mile outside the city. It never indicated there were Nazgul in the city, and it certainly didn't indicate that any of these friendly, seemingly pleasant people in the city were actually Nazgul .

Closed Thread