Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 06:19 AM   #241
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
At the moment I'm reading the third book in Timothy Zahn's three-bookseries: The Last Command.

Am still only at the beginning of Harry Turtledove's World War: Upsetting the balance.

Am thinking of continuing reading Kim Robinson's Red Mars.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:34 PM   #242
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Imladris
At the moment I am reading nothing as I am typing on my keyboard.

Lets see...
The Amber Spyglass (PPullman)
His Last Bow (Sir. A.C.Doyle)
Mort (T.Pratchett)
The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco).
Ohh, love Mort. I'm reading small Gods and have finally gotten my hands on Ranma 1/2 number 12
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 05-06-2002, 02:30 PM   #243
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Taking a pause in my reading of Star Wars novels, I have just begun reading Arthur Hailey's Airport and will continue to read all of them. I'm also reading Kim Robinson's Red Mars and the third installment of Harry Turtledove's World War-series.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #244
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What's red mars like? It's a series right? I've been meaning to read them for ages...
Old 05-06-2002, 08:49 PM   #245
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
Taking a pause in my reading of Star Wars novels, I have just begun reading Arthur Hailey's Airport and will continue to read all of them. I'm also reading Kim Robinson's Red Mars and the third installment of Harry Turtledove's World War-series.
Warning: Stay AWAY from NJO, it will bring you nothing but heartbreak.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 05-07-2002, 11:22 AM   #246
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString

Warning: Stay AWAY from NJO, it will bring you nothing but heartbreak.
Thanks for the warning. The killing off of main characters and the destruction of the New Republic doesn't exactly endear me to the NJO, so I'll stop buying them.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:25 AM   #247
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
What's red mars like? It's a series right? I've been meaning to read them for ages...
Red Mars is the first book in a trilogy. The second is Green Mars and the third is Blue Mars. There is also an antology called The Martians.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #248
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

my apologies to everyone, when I said that I can't read more than one book at a time b/c it's too distracting. It would seem that I lied, albeit unintentionally.

now that school has ended, I find myself waist deep in:

The Problem of Pain~~C.S. Lewis

Boxen--this is a collection of stories about an imaginary land called Boxen that C.S.Lewis wrote when he was young. I mean really young, as in, age 8.

I'm still plugging away at Dickens's Our Mutual Friend

Just finished a short story by George Macdonald, and the title is something like: Son of the Day, Daughter of the Night. very interesting symbolism in that one.

Last night I started Molder of Dreams, by Guy Doud

have I got my plate full or what? I've also brought home a copy of Les Miserables, and my sister has promised me access to her copy of the Silmarillion...the list just keeps on getting longer.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:54 AM   #249
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Ive just completed the Chung kuo series by David Wyngrove - absolutely fanatastic , I cant rate them highly enough . If you never read more than one more book in your life , please make it this one ( actually there is about 8 of them ) - whats it about ?

the quick version - future earth - everybody ( not quite everybody ! ) lives in giant domes over each continent - ruled by chinese emperors ( Li Yuan main man ) battles between expansionists and the emperors and some really nasty bad guy - Devore - maybe the most evil sadistic bad guy ever - tons of other stuff about mars and love and art and marrying your sister in law etc it really is a top read , go forth and purchase pronto.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
Old 05-28-2002, 11:11 AM   #250
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

I'm fixing to start the fourth novel in Orson Scott Card's Ender series. I am enjoying those immensely.
I am also reading through the Silmarillion again....homework for the Inklings forum! Got to keep up with all those elves!!
Old 05-28-2002, 01:25 PM   #251
Garina
Elf Lord

I'm reading all my LOTR books, my David Eddings books, and I'm just starting to reread the Vampire Chronicles.
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Old 05-28-2002, 02:53 PM   #252
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Am starting on the Silmarillion now. Wish me luck! Have been having a bugger of a time trying to get through the first few chapters, it's like trying to transliterate hieroglyphics, for eru's sake!
Old 05-28-2002, 03:11 PM   #253
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I've just started the first Book of Lost Tales, after waiting for months for it to get to my local library . It's a bit hard going so far!
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:22 AM   #254
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

half way through a George Best autobiography and just finnished Billy Connolly's biography anyone else read the Chung Kuo series by David Wyngrove ? well you should !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
Old 05-29-2002, 11:43 AM   #255
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Am halfway through KSR's Red Mars. The first time I read it I thought the latin/greek placenames a bit difficult to pronounce, but I 've gotten over that. It's a very good read.

Am in the beginning of Arthur Hailey's Hotel. Also very good.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:01 PM   #256
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Oxford History of Early Medieval Philosophers (I think it's called...)
Fun in the sun.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:25 PM   #257
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Starting on 'The rise and the fall of the dinosaur"
Old 05-29-2002, 04:44 PM   #258
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Tolkien: A look behind The Lord of the Rings, by Lin Carter, and then I'm going to start Unfinished Tales: Of Numenor and Middle-Earth
Old 05-29-2002, 10:25 PM   #259
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

the first time is the hardest

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Am starting on the Silmarillion now. Wish me luck! Have been having a bugger of a time trying to get through the first few chapters, it's like trying to transliterate hieroglyphics, for eru's sake!
My first attempt to read the Sil was a bit discouraging. I couldn't keep all those similar-sounding names straight! But I still found the very beginning one of the loveliest things I'd ever read. The second time through, things made more sense and names started to come together with personalities. I'm on my third read right now, and the thing is actually making total sense! So, give it a chance.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:06 AM   #260
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I read "Temperance" by Plato last night. The english translation.
Closed Thread