Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2003, 04:01 PM   #241
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

To answer your question, there's actually a famous poet (I don't remember her name) whose work mostly revolves around Eskimo eroticism...

But yeah, I've read some reviews of the books to come (especially Book 10) and apparently, they don't exactly get more fast-paced. Sometimes I find that there's just way too much irrelevant, extraneous material and prosaic pretentiousness to fight through... would I still understand some of the stuff in Books 8 through 10 if I haven't touched WoT for over a year? Or does Jordan just keep adding characters and unrelated twists?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #242
Strongbow
Hobbit

hmm well lets see. that i remember he doesnt add any more important charecters, although as you will remember he has a flow of lesser ones.

if you dont remember much of it then you might want to check out wotmania.com they have lots of info and an extensive theory post! but if your too lazy to do that then you might not want to bother after all they are just books right?
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #243
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcala
What is IMHO exactly?
I've heard people talking about it, and never really found out what it was. Explanation, please?
Thanks for asking that! I was wondering the same thing, but just never got around to asking.

"Begun, the Clone War has..."
~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.
TheWhiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #244
Strongbow
Hobbit

IMHO

haha maybe i overuse that term...
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:42 PM   #245
Anglorfin
Alasailon

There are a few things you missed maybe. I can't remember specifically but I think around now Mazrim Taim becomes important (I am struggling not to reveal anything too much) And now instead of a lot of the action centering around Mat, Rand, and Perrin there is a lot more attention given to Egwene and most recently Elayne. Masema is back and the Aes Sedai still collectively suffer from PMS. I think that's about it.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #246
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
and on a side note, what other series features igloo sex? : P
hahahahaha thats gotta be a plus... has anyone read the conan chronicles by Robert Jordan? my friend says there fairly sex driven.

and now a question why were the Forsaken not stilled and executed instead of being locked up... im only starting Lord of Chaos now and Nynaeve was talking about how if any one found out who Moghedien was she would be stilled and executed right away so why not still her and execute her while they had the chance?
Old 05-09-2003, 10:52 AM   #247
Anglorfin
Alasailon

i forget exactly why but I think it might be that their ties to the Dark Lord meant they could be regenerated because they are still "part of the pattern". This becomes important in the later books. The Dark Lord has reembodied many of his Forsaken by the end of book 10. The only ones incapable of being brought back are those killed by balefire, or who have severed their ties with the Dark Lord.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 05-09-2003, 06:51 PM   #248
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Ya I read the connan books, well at least one of them
[sarcasm] thank you for the very helpful answers to my questions[/sarcasm]
Old 05-11-2003, 11:08 AM   #249
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
hmm well lets see. that i remember he doesnt add any more important charecters, although as you will remember he has a flow of lesser ones.

if you dont remember much of it then you might want to check out wotmania.com they have lots of info and an extensive theory post! but if your too lazy to do that then you might not want to bother after all they are just books right?
I actually think I have to contradict you about his not adding any more main characters. Remember, Tuon was just added in in Winter's Heart. Faile and Elaida weren't main until much later on in the story. Many of the current bad characters are additions; many of them aren't even the original Forsaken.

What's really making me wonder is when they'll get rid of that one jerk who muddles around in the Wolf Dream. You know, the one who Perrin used to have duels with. He sort of dropped out and his role has been replaced by the gholam. The one who's face looks like Lan's.
Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
and now a question why were the Forsaken not stilled and executed instead of being locked up... im only starting Lord of Chaos now and Nynaeve was talking about how if any one found out who Moghedien was she would be stilled and executed right away so why not still her and execute her while they had the chance?
The Forsaken were locked up with the Dark One by chance during the huge war that ended the Age of Legends. Lews Therin received the cuellendar seals that would bind the Dark One, and he and many others of his male Aes Sedai Companions (I think they were called Companions; I could have the wrong name) made a secret strike upon Shayol Ghul. They just happened to hit it at a time when the Forsaken's leaders were in meeting, and as a consequence, they were bound within Shayol Ghul along with the Dark One.

As for why Nynaeve and Egwene didn't punish Moghedien, they wanted knowledge from her. Many of Egwene's discoveries later on were actually secrets learned from Moghedien. If the other Aes Sedai had known about Moghedien, they would have tried and executed her at once.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 05-11-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #250
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Only on Book 3, eh? Don't worry, your questions will be answered, and replaced with some sufficiently unanswerable ones.

I haven't been to this thread in a year and a half (when I finished #7, The Crown of Swords). I bought Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart but I never got around to reading them. As time passed, I just sort of gave up on WoT. And now apparently there's a tenth one out?

Without any spoilage, could somebody tell me if it's at all worth it for me to get back to WoT at some point? By the end of the seventh volume, I'd realized that my falling asleep in the middle of reading any of those given books was not, in fact, due to (coincidentally-timed) chronic fatigue.
If those earlier books don't draw you into the later ones, but rather give you chronic fatigue , I'd advise you not to continue the series. They're more of the same, I think, though some interesting things happen. The endings of the books are always deeply gripping and exciting (To me), though I agree that the middle material tends to sometimes get rather tedious. Certain plot threads also are often more interesting than others- though at this point that's not so true as it was earlier on.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:06 PM   #251
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I thought Winter's Heart was excellent. To me, it was up there with the books from earlier in the series. It was just a book where a lot went on and not too much of it was boring. Book 10 though is nothing but a big HUGE setup. Nothing actually happens, but it gives the sensation that in book 11 so many things are set to spring all at once.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:55 PM   #252
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I expect they won't.

But let's look on the bright side . . .
At least Egwene's away from Ar'angar, at last
Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #253
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"The endings of the books are always deeply gripping and exciting (To me), though I agree that the middle material tends to sometimes get rather tedious. Certain plot threads also are often more interesting than others- though at this point that's not so true as it was earlier on."
Exactly my thoughts. Robert Jordan seems to know how to write a really good last chapter (a certain paragraph in The Fires of Heaven convinced me to go on to Book Six right away)... but the meat of the book is a bit of a chore to trudge through.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:23 AM   #254
Anglorfin
Alasailon

There were always a few chapters that would go faster than the others anyway. There were so many characters to get their own chapters. But I was always happy when I was reading and I saw the little dice on the opening of the chapter page or the picture of a wolf. Reading about everybody else got boring after a while. Mat and Perrin never got too boring.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:53 AM   #255
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

To me, Rand was the one who never got boring. The Two Rivers things with Perrin weren't quite so deeply interesting to me, even during the Trolloc invasion, because the sphere of influence was small. With Rand, the sphere of influence is always broad.

I feel sad without Lanfear . That was a very interesting character, and I don't want that situation to just end with a duel between her and Rand.

Elayne and Egwene's plot threads are much more interesting at this point of the story. Recent events in Perrin's plot strand are causing it to get more interesting also- heck, everything's interesting now! . I don't remember getting bored any time during this most recent book, Crossroads of Twilight. The end had a very interesting twist.

I'm still waiting to find out what Tuon does next, as well .
Glad Renna's dead.

I think the plot thread that was most boring to me of all was the one where Elayne and Nynaeve were trying to get the Bowl of Winds. The stuff with Valan Luca is barely ever very interesting to me. It'd be interesting to see the Tinkers come back, though. I want to find out what winds up happening with Aram.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:17 PM   #256
Anglorfin
Alasailon

It's been so long, but I had a theory about the Tinkers and their Song. I wrote it down somewhere on a WoT board, I just have to find it.

I forgot to mention him before, but I always like when Fain randomly pops into the story. He's such an evil little guy that always seems to compromise things and make everything more difficult for Rand and Co.

Also, since it's getting late in the series (I'm guessing) I wonder if Moraine will ever come back.

Old 05-20-2003, 05:24 PM   #257
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Can I quote myself? WHAT does IMHO mean?

That's interesting, Lief! I think the exact opposite as you.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #258
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

IMHO : In My Humble Opinion

I shouldn't read spoilers like that.lol

I like how they go on like they do, cos it's awesome having this big series that just keeps going on and on and on. . . mainly cos my mom doesne't want me reading huge books anymore cos it bugs her for some weird ass reason
Old 05-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #259
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcala
Can I quote myself? WHAT does IMHO mean?

That's interesting, Lief! I think the exact opposite as you.
Oh . I see. Er, no, I don't see. Which of the things I said do you think exactly opposite of me in? Or is it all of them? Should have known . . .
Old 05-25-2003, 04:59 PM   #260
elf queen
Hobbit

Those are my second favorite books (besides LOTR).

I recomend them to any fantasy lover.
elf queen is offline   Reply With Quote