Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #241
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

No, it's very intriguing, Lief. I like it a lot, something very interesting & intriguing is going on... I like how you've brought in an element of political mystery here! Nice...

(edit to add) Incidently, you are a really good writer, Lief. I'm impressed!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-09-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #242
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I hope that this plot twist isn't annoying to anyone. People can join in or leave it alone as they choose, of course.
I am not sure whose arrival you depicted in the second post, Lief. But I don't think that an orc would be tolerated in Tharbad.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #243
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
I am not sure whose arrival you depicted in the second post, Lief.
I haven't made it clear yet. I will post something about my character in the discussion thread, but I want to describe (him?) first in the RPG itself. Too often I've experienced people writing down what their character looks like in the discussion thread, and then not doing so in the game itself. When this happens, someone who's just reading the RPG as a story misses a major chunk of what things in the game are actually like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
But I don't think that an orc would be tolerated in Tharbad.
You may be right. I guess Valandil's word is law.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #244
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Re: cast poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Gor is very beautiful, CS, thank you. But she does look like an evil witch. Who's portrait was that originally? I am afraid Gor will have problems attracting Val looking so cold and cruel But perhaps she is looking at Lilly...
Five must be more oriental. A young Omar Sharif? But we can let Doc GW choose for himself. Val seems fine to me, but too serious.
Khamul?
Aren't you difficult, Gordie? I am proposing you a picture of Aredhel herself and you complain!

Well, our Gor doesn't want to look like an evil witch. You want to look as a good one?
Here, another try

And here are an oriental looking character and omar sharif. They are for the taking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gor2.jpg (8.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg man.jpg (9.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg OmarSharif.jpg (5.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #245
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
I guess Valandil's word is law.
Why Valandil only? It's all of our game, plus Gordis I believe is also highly knowledgabe about historical/geographical accuracy and relevance. And Crazy Squirrel, also.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #246
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Nazgul - can we have some assurances that you won't go around 'wraithing' people left and right?
heehee!
*watches her back*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #247
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Why Valandil only?
His character is king, so he makes the laws of the country. We make up the decisions of our characters, and he makes up the decisions of his characters. Since one of his characters happens to be the king, it's up to him (his character) to decide what the laws of the land are.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #248
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Pardon me, Lief; for some reason I assumed you meant that actual (real) Valandil's word regarding what's to be what and things of that ilk, to be "law," I wasn't thinking of King Val the story character I was thinking of our real Val the man. Misunderstandings seem to abound whenever I interact with you - ah, well, it's all in a day's game!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #249
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Completely understandable.

Meanwhile, RÃ*an, I see you're online. I've made a guess as to how you probably will respond to my character, and am interested to see whether or not I'm right. Waiting for your post .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #250
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

:
welcome aboard Lief! ..and Rian!

Valandil: ref the chancellor & chancellor thing ... let's hope there isn't a legal firm of that name down here!

Why not have our soon to be unveiled University one as Arch-chancellor (i'm guessing of course but that may be prophetic!) and yours as either just Chancellor or perhaps Privy Minister ... either way some names to go with positions would help...

with regard to Valandil and valandil (in the discussion thread only) ... how about valandil and randy valandil ... take your pic which is which ... just kidding!

CS:
Quote:
I am not sure whose arrival you depicted in the second post, Lief. But I don't think that an orc would be tolerated in Tharbad.
yeah it's only good ol' Nazgul and wraiths that are socially acceptable around here ... course we are in-cognito!

heh CS ... any advice for my chat with ref: the squirrel clan meeting? wanna play Acornagorn for me? ... it won't be a large part ... probably!

regarding the geography Lief, maybe Gor could post us a map?

Are the streets and layout of tharbad twisty enough for us? .. maybe perhaps down by the wharfs? Well if they are not the paths we tred yet may still be!

CS: omar sherif for sure (if TD like it) ... Gor still needs to be sexier still ... she has incredible competition to deal with!

GORDIS: look forward to your post ... maybe King Valandil (randy?) will not be so bored eh?

Rian: well you seem to have some options on how to join in fluidly now!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-09-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #251
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

just finished the thread - my goodness, you guys, you're busting me up!

I had to take extensive notes, tho - there's about 11 major characters so far

well, well, well - what job to take? Inn or castle? hmmm... decision coming soon... I was going to be "new" to the area, but now I"m working at the inn already, but that should be fine - I'll make some minor adjustments. Actually, having an established presence makes it easier, on second thought...

(I usually can't post a lot on weekends, unfortunately - do you guys post more on weekends or weekdays? If it's weekends, I'll try to check at least once during weekends)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-09-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #252
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Don't worry, Butterbeer, I have a map here. After reading Valandil's first post in the RPG, a lot of things were made clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
well, well, well - what job to take? Inn or castle? hmmm... decision coming soon...
Though there's something more immediate you'll need to deal with, at the moment .

Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #253
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oh yeah thanks for reminding me Rian ... guys i may be able to post a bit tommorow morning (sat) but i shall be away in Amsterdam Sunday, Monday and getting back Tuesday ... sometime

technically a business trip to the IBC convention but am looking forward to it!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #254
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

That 'man2' is quite like how I imagined Khamûl. I'll take him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #255
Rían

Quote:
Don't worry, Butterbeer, I have a map here. After reading Valandil's first post in the RPG, a lot of things were made clear.

Though there's something more immediate you'll need to deal with, at the moment .
what IS that thing in the coach?!?!

going over there now ...

Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #256
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
what IS that thing in the coach?!?!

going over there now ...
(Has a long, wicked laugh )

Old 09-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #257
Rían

Hey, don't be too mean - I'm a total newbie at this!

*looks at Lief with pleading eyes*

Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #258
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Hmm. Different character response than the one I expected. I expected you'd give me directions that would guide me straight to the Lonely Mountain .

Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #259
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Rian, i think you took lief's laugh the wrong way there! (boy he's dastardly good ain't he?) ...

Wow Rian ...we expected Lief to be good and so far he is! .. but girl, that was great stuff! liked the follow-on from the Valandil and Earniel show ... half Elven satisfaction ... what would Earniel's mum think??

is the modestly attired and travelling newcomer a human though? We can but wait and (hopefully not) see!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #260
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I know Val is infatuated with Eärniel (logical )
Why is that logical? have you read Lilly's description? The girl's hard to compete with. (Not that Eärniel plans on that. Not at all. Never crossed her mind. Never even met her.)

Quote:
Nay, I have another plan. Butterbeer kept the thought of this game in my mind, so I found myself thinking, "if I were to play, I would this is the character I would use . . . if I were to play, this would be the plot thread I would develop . . ." Those thoughts continued to develop themselves and become fairly detailed, until the interest in playing was greatly magnified.
*claps hands* Heehee, I so knew you wouldn't be able to resist that. But it's good, very good. We always could use a little plotting.

*checks own map if drought at Grey-flood has consequences for Nîn In Eilph.* Doesn't look that way.

But I'm curious, would Elves turn to the King of Men to solve matters? I always got the impression that Elves answered to their own leaders, regardless of the human Kings that held the lands surrounding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
we expected Lief to be good and so far he is!
Told you.

Quote:
liked the follow-on from the Valandil and Earniel show ... half Elven satisfaction ... what would Earniel's mum think??
Valandil and Eärniel show? LOL. And I think Eärniel will make sure her mother will not bring anything... embarassing into conversations.