Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:52 AM   #241
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I meant something like "Check please!" ...or..."I gotta go, my mommy's calling" get it!?
Oooookay .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 10-25-2004, 04:53 AM   #242
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Merry, do you believe that all of the 10 commandments are important as each other or that some like #6 are more important than others?
Jesus said in the New Testament that there are two commandments that stand out above the rest. Whether that means the others are all equal or not is up for grabs. I personally doubt it. Hang on . . . am I supposed to shut-up, or something? Right . . . it's Merry's turn. I'll disappear for a week .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #243
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You don't have to shut up Lief, just make sure you're asking Merry questions, or responding to her answers. She's the focus, the all-powerful Hot Seater!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 10-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #244
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Yep, that question was directed at Merry. *must resist answering with own beliefs... have already had turn...*
Actually, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I just really want to know the answer. So I go to hell? (Ignoring for the present that I don't believe one exists )
Old 10-25-2004, 08:55 AM   #245
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippinTook
Yeah, and not to mention they have killer wraps So I don't mind supporting them. Do jews still bide by the sabbath laws that say no working on the sabbath? I mean modern day jews, either in the west or in Israel. Do we have anyone from Israel here?
It depends... If you're religious, you do keep it - you don't drive on Saturdays, or work, or walk a lot, or use elecricity (because then, you make other people work for you)... and no shops are supposed to be open on Saturdays, and there's no public transportation in Saturdays here. It's annoying, really. (there are shops and restaurants open on saturdays, as no one can actually check if you're open - 'cause then he'll be working )

But police, hospitals, army, etc. are working on Saturdays... as well as phone companies and electicity (as mentioned before). There's this rule that says that the saving of life rejects/repels (not sure really the right meaning) shabat... so police can actually work by the rules of Judaism - although I'm not sure if it's in the Bible, or written afterwards.

Of course, one might say they're not modren... I, btw, don't keep this rule... think it makes no sense, not driving or have electiricity on Saturdays! Or public transporation.
Most people today in Israel are like me... btw.

(and it's not 'Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.', the translation ruined the rule. It's keep the shabat for its holiness. I'm not sure why they wrote it this way.)

Sorry... but Pippin did ask the question....
Old 10-25-2004, 12:16 PM   #246
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
(and it's not 'Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.', the translation ruined the rule. It's keep the shabat for its holiness.
Oh, I like your translation better, Rad! Altho to me, the English version says pretty much the same thing. But I like how yours is worded better

MERRY - what I wanted in this thread was not only what your beliefs are, but WHY you believe them to be true. Do you believe Catholicism to be true only because you were raised that way? Are there any other reasons why you think it's true? If someone who was NOT raised Catholic asked you to give them a good reason why they should consider becoming Catholic, what would you tell them? How do your beliefs play out in your day-to-day life?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM   #247
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
What if you were raised a Catholic, and had all the sacraments and lived a 'good' life, but were an atheist? And what if you lived a good (as in not evil) life full stop, but were of a different religion (thus not receiving Jesus' body/blood)? Purgatory?

Merry, have you ever questioned your Christian beliefs? Does any part of it not sit well with you?
Perhaps Purgatory, perhaps not. It's hard to say where the person goes after the person dies.

I never actually 'questioned' my Christian beliefs. I've always believed in it and always will. All of it sits well with me. Still learning though.
Quote:
Merry, do you believe that all of the 10 commandments are important as each other or that some like #6 are more important than others?
As Lief Erikson said, two stand out from the others , but all should be obeyed.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 10-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #248
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Oh, I like your translation better, Rad! Altho to me, the English version says pretty much the same thing. But I like how yours is worded better

MERRY - what I wanted in this thread was not only what your beliefs are, but WHY you believe them to be true. Do you believe Catholicism to be true only because you were raised that way? Are there any other reasons why you think it's true? If someone who was NOT raised Catholic asked you to give them a good reason why they should consider becoming Catholic, what would you tell them? How do your beliefs play out in your day-to-day life?
I believe also it is the True Faith as taught by Jesus, and couldn't imagine it any other way. Good reason they should consider becoming a Catholic: To become closer to God the Creator and to enrich the soul with the spiritual Goodness of God.
My beliefs have a large part in my day-to-day life. I know that I am always protected by God and that He is always there with me, no matter where I am. And it helps to know that we are all perfect in God's eyes: He knows our sins, but He sees the good that we do. God is always in my thoughts. Every night I pray to Him (more on my thoughts of prayer later), and ask for fogiveness of my sins and to protect all on this earth.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #249
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Jesus said in the New Testament that there are two commandments that stand out above the rest...
But those two are summations of the ten... not two OF the ten!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:56 PM   #250
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

This kind of conincides with Rian's question but if you weren't raised as a Catholic or as a Christian of any kind and you were introduced to this faith through a friend would you still believe and if so would your faith be as strong?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #251
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
This kind of conincides with Rian's question but if you weren't raised as a Catholic or as a Christian of any kind and you were introduced to this faith through a friend would you still believe and if so would your faith be as strong?
I think it would be just about the same. Some thoughts of my old belief might still linger, but I would gradually stop thinking about them.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 PM   #252
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

What reasons would you have for your belief? Why would you choose it over your old non-Christian belief?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #253
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
A question - or a series:

Are you happy?

If so, what makes you happy?

If not, what do you think will make you happy?
Here's a good one that Valandil asked me that I think you'll enjoy.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 10-26-2004, 11:40 AM   #254
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
What reasons would you have for your belief? Why would you choose it over your old non-Christian belief?
Perhaps I felt a calling from God. Perhaps this new religion made more sense to me than my old religion did.

Last edited by Meriadoc Brandybuck : 10-26-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #255
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
Are you happy?

If so, what makes you happy?

If not, what do you think will make you happy?
I'm very happy, and it's the simple things in life that do so. For example: apple pie, potstickers, Worcestershire sauce, Tolkien, my cat, my fish, etc. And some more complex things such as: Prayer, Jesus, Mass...

Last edited by Meriadoc Brandybuck : 10-26-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #256
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Are all your friends Christians to an if not doyou ever feel peer pressure and how do you react to it?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-26-2004, 12:44 PM   #257
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
Are all your friends Christians to an if not doyou ever feel peer pressure and how do you react to it?
Not all my friends are Christian. Usually religion doesn't come up as a subject to chat about very often, and if it did, I don't think I would feel any pressure. I'd react by exchanging our beliefs casually.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #258
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
Perhaps I felt a calling from God. Perhaps this new religion made more sense to me than my old religion did.
In what ways does Christianity make sense to you?

(and you don't have to answer - do you want to take more questions, or are you done?)

Old 10-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #259
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes...why did it make sense? You must tell us WHY! Otherwise your not really telling us much!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #260
Rían

Yes, this thread was to get to the "why's" of people's beliefs, and to allow people to bring up questions about the "why's" - but I don't know you like I do Lizra and Nurvi, who went before you, and maybe you don't feel comfortable discussing it, so again, you can get off the Hot Seat if you'd like to and let someone else go

Closed Thread