Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #241
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

we should've called this thread The Candidate Opera House, instead of open house

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 03-15-2004, 04:59 AM   #242
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well I wouldn't mind hearing you sing opera, but I'm not going to go there.

We need a new question or issue... I hope Mooters aren't losing interest in the election.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #243
BeardofPants
the Shrike

So Jonathan, your idea of campaigning is posting a whole bunch of doctored pictures?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #244
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

It's what he does best! Let's see some more Jon!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #245
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Who says they are doctored? . Anyway doctored pics seemed to be popular in the past *stern look at BoP*, so why abandon a winning concept?

I guess the pics will have to do for now, at least until I and the other candidates start debating.

http://my.hsonline.net/~rrosetta/ent...athan/jon5.jpg
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 AM   #246
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yeah, where are all you other candidates and your campaign pictures? How do we know whether you smile and shake hands and kiss babies and all that?

-------

A question I'd like to put forward to all candidates and/or their campaigners. (If it hasn't already been done) What have you contributed to Entmoot, and what can you contribute to Entmoot, as President? I don't mean the usual blah like 'I will make Entmoot a friendlier place' and stuff, I mean, how can you make ME happy that I voted for you? How will you make it fun, or more interesting?

Also, why exactly do you want to be President? (I wonder what ulterior motives you all have, except for Jonathan )
Old 03-17-2004, 04:55 AM   #247
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Yeah, where are all you other candidates and your campaign pictures? How do we know whether you smile and shake hands and kiss babies and all that?

-------

A question I'd like to put forward to all candidates and/or their campaigners. (If it hasn't already been done) What have you contributed to Entmoot, and what can you contribute to Entmoot, as President? I don't mean the usual blah like 'I will make Entmoot a friendlier place' and stuff, I mean, how can you make ME happy that I voted for you? How will you make it fun, or more interesting?

Also, why exactly do you want to be President? (I wonder what ulterior motives you all have, except for Jonathan )
Yeah. And I'd like also to know why all you think that the others should not be President. A proper campaign is more about bashing other candidates than deffending ideas. You're all too polite to become President
Old 03-17-2004, 01:15 PM   #248
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

In the 'entmoot presidential debate' thread, the poll is titled: "who loves Tolkien the best." Well if you love Tolkien, you are probably knowledgeable about the world of Middle-earth.

I thought we could add a little more fun and challenge to the election. God knows it needs it. I'm not sure when this poll closes, but I thought it would be fun to test the winner's knowledge of Tolkien. This would also show if the winner deserved the win. We, or someone could write up a series of question from several of the books, LotRs, the Silarillion, Unfinished Tales, and let the winner answer them. we would of course have to trust them not to cheat by looking up the answers. Say a series of 10 questions. What does everyone think?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #249
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm not just saying this because I know you're more knowledgable than me, but love of Tolkien isn't solely based on knowledge. It also depends how long you've had the opportunity to read the books. A 15-year-old has had at most seven or eight years, while a 35-year-old could have been reading the books for over twenty years.

But a quiz sounds fun! Is Tessar going to write it? He's good at stuff like that. (I assume you've already answered his first questionaire.)

Cheers, Nurv
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #250
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I'm not just saying this because I know you're more knowledgable than me, but love of Tolkien isn't solely based on knowledge. It also depends how long you've had the opportunity to read the books. A 15-year-old has had at most seven or eight years, while a 35-year-old could have been reading the books for over twenty years.

But a quiz sounds fun! Is Tessar going to write it? He's good at stuff like that. (I assume you've already answered his first questionaire.)

Cheers, Nurv
Well, I don't think you can truly be a lover of Tolkien, and then not know things. I am not talking about being one of the big scholars, but an average Tolkien fan, that would not just be limited to LotRs, but would probably exclude the HoMe series.

I have answered Tessar's questions, yes. Tessar could write it if he wishes, but they have to span at least those three books, and I think 10 questions are good enough. It would be after the poll closes, but I don't know when that is. Right now, people may still vote. Hector is leading with 7 votes, while Jonathan trails with 4.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #251
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
But you have to be 35 to be President anyway... right?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #252
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Right now, people may still vote. Hector is leading with 7 votes, while Jonathan trails with 4.
Don't look now, SGH, but you've moved up to second.

I'd offer to write the questions ( ), but I wouldn't mind taking it myself. Should VP running mates tackle it too? Just to show what kind of hands Entmoot would be in, in case something... happens???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:26 PM   #253
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Don't look now, SGH, but you've moved up to second.

I'd offer to write the questions ( ), but I wouldn't mind taking it myself. Should VP running mates tackle it too? Just to show what kind of hands Entmoot would be in, in case something... happens???
Well, all this is just an idea. I would think that it has to have approval from the electoral college. Is that right Fat Middle? Maybe I should say something in the mod forum.

Edit- Btw Val, Jonathan and I both have 5 right now.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #254
Jonathan

Accidently deleted my first post but now it has been retyped.

Quote:

What have I contributed to Entmoot? Well for starters I have blessed the mooters with my extremely well-formulated and intelligent posts, which have rarely been off-topic. My spamming has also been kept to a minimum

Seriously though, I have contributed to discussions in the Tolkien fora, and I have started quite a few threads myself. I would have taken part in the Silmarillion project if I had had more time, however I hope I can contribute to the newly started LotR project.

In the RPG forum, the NationStates sub-forum was started thanks to the initiative of JD. However, I was the one told JD about the online game and together he and I founded the Continent of Entmoot, where I have had the honour of getting elected UN Delegate.

I have been active in the 'Other topics' fora as well. I especially enjoy the language thread, in which I have contributed with posting linguistic quirks and other things.

I have started a few threads in GM which seem to have been quite popular. Last year, I made the Most Wanted Mooters list, which I hope the mooters could laugh at. I also hope that you found last year's Mud Wrestling Competition intriguing and pleasant. I put a lot of work into it but it was well worth it.
And I hope you liked that nice little *cough* calendar too. Though I can't take credit for it - it was entirely the devilry... I mean work of BoP, JD and the others

Why do I want to be president and what will I do if I get elected?
I want to be president because I have plans for Entmoot. Now that the three LotR movies are out, I want to make Entmoot the 1# Tolkien message board to raise consciousness about Tolkien's world and his books. The movie goers need to learn that there is a lot more than PJ's films, and the Tolkien lovers should be able to have a safe haven where they can discuss not only the books and films, but anything they want. Entmoot is perfect for that.

Now some of you might say "We're already #1, so why try harder?". I think that there is always room for both improvments and new members, and if Entmoot actually is #1 (Of course we are! No offence intended to the SF-Fandom members. SF-Fandom actually has more members and threads, but Entmoot has more than twice as many posts), we should strive for streangthening our position as the leading Tolkien message board and get more new members here.

I have a question for SGH and Falagar; Which Tolkien message board would you want to see as #1? Entmoot or SF-Fandom?

Anyway, if I am elected president, I will represent Entmoot on other message boards. Being president would be an advantage if we would want me to try and attract new members from those other boards. To me, it feels like it is the older mooters who are the most active, not that many posts are posted by the newer mooters. I would like more of those cute little saplings, hobbits and entlings, actively posting, PM-ing and starting threads with soul and heart. Wouldn't that be nice?

Another more personal reason for me to want to be president is that I would be able to get myself a cooler title

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I thought we could add a little more fun and challenge to the election. God knows it needs it. I'm not sure when this poll closes, but I thought it would be fun to test the winner's knowledge of Tolkien. This would also show if the winner deserved the win. We, or someone could write up a series of question from several of the books, LotRs, the Silarillion, Unfinished Tales, and let the winner answer them. we would of course have to trust them not to cheat by looking up the answers. Say a series of 10 questions. What does everyone think?
I support this idea. Just as long as the questions aren't too hard so that even the average mooter would have difficulties with them. But a little "Who knows the most about Tolkien" competition would be fun

http://my.hsonline.net/~rrosetta/ent...athan/jon8.gif
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-17-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #255
Mercutio

Is that a John Kerry pic you used? the woman on the right looks like his wife, Teresia Heinz Kerry (or something like that).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #256
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

There's only a week left until the ballot boxes open, aren't you candidates supposed to be debating or something? Poor old Jonathan typed up the response to my questions twice. With great answers. Are you other candidates trying to dodge the awkward questions? *Suspicious*

The Tolkien Quiz is a good idea. They should also have to sit an Entmoot test too.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:46 PM   #257
hectorberlioz

Quote:
There's only a week left until the ballot boxes open, aren't you candidates supposed to be debating or something? Poor old Jonathan typed up the response to my questions twice. With great answers. Are you other candidates trying to dodge the awkward questions? *Suspicious*

The Tolkien Quiz is a good idea. They should also have to sit an Entmoot test too.
drat! i missed those questions.
where are they? i'll go ahead and answer them now.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #258
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
drat! i missed those questions.
where are they? i'll go ahead and answer them now.
They're on this very page, look at the posts above. Oh well, if you can't see them, I'll give you a link
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 PM   #259
hectorberlioz

Quote:

-------

I cant say I have contributed much to Entmoot already, except a couple of memorable threads.
To tell you the truth, I cant promise that I can make Entmoot a more interesting place than it is now. Its up to All Mooters to make it a great, interesting, fun place. I can only Rule the moot with a kind heart and ana open mind, and a good logic.
Bringing newbies to like this place is one of the things that I have been tryijng to do, via personally pm'ing them, welcoming them.
Of course I cant always do this, since some newbies turn off thier pm options, and since I'm not always on to see who joined etc...but I try.
My ruling the moot with a kind heart, an open mind, and good logic, thats some thing you can be sure of.

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-18-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:49 PM   #260
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
What have you contributed to Entmoot, and what can you contribute to Entmoot, as President?
Well, I have been a member for over 3 years and I would like to think in that amount of time that I have made many contributions to Entmoot, not only as a staff member, but as a mooter. I have always tried to be informative to book newbies without making them feel inferior to other's knowledge of Tolkien. I am not one for starting a lot of threads, but when I do, I try to make them as thought provoking as possible. Although, I handed over my chapters to re-assignment in the Sil project, I have been instrumental in the success of the project of that forum. These are just some of my contributions to the community as a mooter. As an admin, I have always attempted to be fair with members and provide them with guidance. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. As a moderator, I make a great effort to keep discussion moving smoothly and flame free. Moderating for Entmoot has been a labor of love because of its warm, close community.
Quote:
and I don't mean the usual blah like 'I will make Entmoot a friendlier place' and stuff, I mean, how can you make ME happy that I voted for you? How will you make it fun, or more interesting?
Well, as an admin, it is my job to make Entmoot a friendly, flame free enviroment and to make everyone's stay here as enjoyable as poosible. How I can make you happy that you voted for me depends on what you want. This is too hard to narrow down in one sentence. By looking at the qualities, histories, and personalities of each candidate will tell you, I think, what you will get from them as president. So your vote will determine your happiness.

Quote:
Also, why exactly do you want to be President? (I wonder what ulterior motives you all have, except for Jonathan
I think it is time for a change. I think we need a President that is active and cares about the board.

Travel and Tourism Guide