Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #241
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

In addition, there's a short story named Zaphod Plays it safe.

Since the last post I've also managed to start Baudolino by the aforementioned Eco.

Last edited by Falagar : 04-13-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #242
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

it is five, yes, but the title was 'a trilogy in four parts'
Old 04-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #243
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Yes, I remember that. Hilarious
Old 04-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #244
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Just finished Trevanians "Loo Sanction" after rereading "Shibumi". I love the detail.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #245
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Finished King Lear, and also "The Nine Tailors" by Dorothy Sayers. Loved the former (Oh, Cordelia!!), was not wild about the latter. I'll give her another chance, because of Inky, but it was just too much detail about those darn bells and just not enough human interest for me.

Still working on (and enjoying) the Iliad ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #246
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Wow, heavy duty reading there. I'm just catching up with Dilbert
Actually re-reading The Return of Merlin by Deepak Chopra. It's a new twist on the legend and legacy.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #247
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Dilbert's great!

I want to get a Far Side anthology - I only have 2 small books that I keep by the "throne" - I need MORE! MORE Far Side, precious!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #248
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I love Far Side! I'm pretty sure I have read every single Far Side comic.

I'm reading "Pigs in Heaven" by Barbara Kingsolver, which is a sequel to "The Bean Trees". Needless to say, it's completely fascinating and brilliant.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #249
inked
Elf Lord

MEMPHIS 7.9 by Sam Petty. A realization of the impact of the New Madrid fault earthquake zone and what will most like happen in the event of another set of quakes like those in 1811-1813! A hard science-fiction book that is quite enjoyable...and thought-provoking for someone living 20 miles from New Madrid, on the fault!

But, hey, Rian, I have never felt a temblor yet? How about you?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 04-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #250
Rían

But of course! I live in California

I was around for the Sylmar quake in the 70's. That was the biggest one I've been in. We were very near the epicenter. I remember waking up and trying to run out of my room and you can't run well because the ground keeps moving! You pick up a leg and put it down, but the ground was either closer or farther away than when you lifted it up. Very weird feeling! And the noise was like a freight train, or a big roar. Weird.

My younger sister ran down the hall, screaming, "It's a tornado!" She had just seen "The Wizard of Oz"

We were in the path of the water from a dam that had been damaged, so we had to evacuate for a few days. I can still remember the police cars going up and down the street, telling people to leave.

There were lots of aftershocks. At first, we would leave the house at each aftershock. Then we would stand under doorframes at each aftershock. Then we would just kinda look up and stop what we were doing until they were over. You would usually know within a few seconds if it was just a smaller aftershock or if it would escalate to where you wanted to move somewhere safer (like away from under things on the wall). Some of the aftershocks would have been earthquakes in their own right.

I also was around for the quake back in the mid 90's. Most of our friends lived over a small mountain range from us and had extensive damage - tons of broken glass, block walls down, etc. We only had a few pictures fall off the walls, tho. My best friend and her husband had to leave their apartment because it was damaged beyond repair. They lived with us for awhile.

There have been other quakes, but those were the two major ones I've been in.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #251
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

all the more reason I left.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:51 AM   #252
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

Location: If you ever want to find me, look in the clouds. I'll probably be there.
Yesterday I was reading Dante. Today, it's something else. Anyone know any nice, looong books I can read? Ones that are still interesting, at any rate? I tried Le Mort DeArthur, but it put me to sleep. I plowed right through Atlas Shrugged, and Le Miserables, so does anyone know any books along those lines?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #253
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

War and Peace by Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy
is a book i always enjoy, if you have a few months spare for the reading
Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #254
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonai Dragonwagon
Yesterday I was reading Dante. Today, it's something else. Anyone know any nice, looong books I can read? Ones that are still interesting, at any rate? I tried Le Mort DeArthur, but it put me to sleep. I plowed right through Atlas Shrugged, and Le Miserables, so does anyone know any books along those lines?
So, what do you think of Dante. I assume you meant the Commedia. Which translation? I am of the unalterable opinion that you should read Dorothy L. Sayers' translation and notes for a full appreciation. I could recommend some great Dante sites if you are interested.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 04-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #255
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

Location: If you ever want to find me, look in the clouds. I'll probably be there.
Yes, I read the Divine Comedy. Actually, just Inferno so far. I'm not sure which translation I read; the book is currently somewhere among the bazillions of similarly sized paperbacks in my house, and I am unsure of the exact location. I think I did read Dorothy Sayers' translation, however, as I remember that over half the anthology's size is due to the notes at the end.
I really loved Inferno, and finished it in less than 48 hours, neglecting to pay attention during such mundane school subjects as math, and I even forgot to eat my lunch. Purgatorio, not so much. It's been a week, and I've misplaced it. I really like Dante's writing style, but he seems to be overly concerned with Italy in the second part of the Comedy.

Hmmm...War and Peace ... I will read it! I think I've got it somewhere in my house; my mom collects random books. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Adonai Dragonwagon : 04-24-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #256
Rían

Just gave Dorothy Sayers another try, and liked her "Whose Body" very much (Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novel)

Old 04-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #257
inked
Elf Lord

PREFACE TO PARADISE LOST by CS Lewis. (again) Perhaps even in preparation to completing Paradise Lost (again - I am about 1/2 way through!)
Old 04-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #258
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I read:
War of the Worlds
and I am currently reading:
I Sing the Body Electric! (and other stories)
A Clergyman's Daughter

1984 is by far the most frightening book I ever read. I automatically bumped it up to second place: LotR is first. I'm still afraid.
But that would be Thoughtcrime, wouldn't it, comrades? I better also practice newspeak. 1984 Doubleplusgood and doubleplusscarey andyet plusreal. The ending is not bad, it's just ungood.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #259
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i am currently re-reading My Life: An Attempt at an Autobiography, by Leon Trotsky
Old 04-30-2005, 01:24 AM   #260
Adonai Dragonwagon
Hobbit

I finally got a hold of 1984, and it's a really good book. Of course, right when I decided I wanted to read it, all the seniors in the city started doing reports on it. Grr. But it finally came to me, and I am happy now. I haven't finished it yet, but I will.
Probably after Old Man and the Sea. Next year I'm going to be assigned it on the first day of school, since we're not allowed to have required summer reading anymore. We have to have it read by the next class. So I'm going to read it now.