Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2002, 07:17 PM   #221
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Thanks Jador. I think I've just been insulted.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:21 PM   #222
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, if you ARE like Feanor, then at the very least, it proves you're not evil.... just misunderstood.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:35 PM   #223
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That's it, misunderstood.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #224
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ok, I just had a terrible thought that we are off topic and possibly spaming. Not me of course, but seriously we should get back on topic boys and girls. My fault, I know.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:19 PM   #225
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
tut tut tut.an admin spamming.*shakes finger*j/k!

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:43 AM   #226
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Proofs re: Feanor's Spirit of Flame

I know you're all debating about Feanor being a spirit of "Fire" like a Balrog, but I don't think it's the same thing.
Tolkien writes that Elves are different from Men in that they have long lifespans, but their life forces slowly consume them from within, like a flame burning them from the inside out.

Right. Now here are the quotes about Feanor's spirit:

Quote:
Feanor was the mightiest in skill of word and of hand, more learned than his brothers; his spirit burned as a flame.
Perhaps this refers to those who are like shining stars, as we say today - they are candles with flames at both ends, burning brighter than the rest of us, even though it may be for a shorter time.

Quote:
But in the bearing of her son Miriel was consumed in spirit and body; and after his birth she yearned for release from the labour of living. And when she had named him, she said to Finwe: 'Never again shall I bear child; for strength that nourished the life of many has gone forth into Feanor.'
Okkaaaay... does that suggest that he has the life spirit and strength of many?

Quote:
All his love he gave thereafter to his son; and Feanor grew swiftly, as if a secret fire were kindled within him.
That almost suggests that he had already the spirit and the fire of the Silmarils within him, even before he had created them.

Quote:
For Feanor was driven by the fire of his own heart only,
Right, now it's a fire of the heart, like ambition.

And finally:

Quote:
Then he died; but he had neither burial nor tomb, for so fiery was his spirit that as it sped his body fell to ash, and was borne away like smoke; and his likeness has never again appeared in Arda, neither has his spirit left the halls of Mandos.
Wow. So at least we know he did not reincarnate. It's interesting to note that Feanor is really the only Elf described as such.
So is he a spirit of fire, or are we talking totally metaphorically? Then how do we explain his death? What do you think?

Last edited by Beruthiel : 08-30-2002 at 12:51 AM.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:57 AM   #227
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, we weren't really talking about that. BH brought it up to **** stir, and then we all went OT.

The actual debate that we're haggling over, is whether or not Feanor was evil. There is a camp that says, yes he was an evil blackguarde, so stop deluding yourselves. And then there are the ones who are right (namely me and a bunch of other people ), who are postulating that while Feanor commited some evil actions, this doesn't necessarily make him an evil person. He was just misunderstood.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:09 AM   #228
Beruthiel
Hobbit

I think Feanor was greedy. I think that if he had not been spoiled by his father, he might have been a tenderer-hearted person. Perhaps that fire that blazed within him forced him to act brashly. THe fell words of Morgoth swayed him even though he saw thru his disguise. But by then it was too late. Acts had been done against his family, there were words spoken that were not thought about beforehand - fate also took part in this. It was a series of bad moves, all timed perfectly to guide poor Feanor into the trap of The Curse.

So I think he might have handled things a bit better, but I do not see that it would have caused a great change in the outcome of the Kinslaying.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:56 AM   #229
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Pffft.

You guys know that Melkor was the good guy.

Here were the nasty ol Valar locking all the elves up in Aman, so that they'd be overprotected wimpy Nancy elfs reading poetry and baking buns.

And It obviously offended Melkor's sensibilities, so he devised a plan to rescue some of them...

That whole thing with the Silmarils was just a misunderstanding, and anyway, you can't make an omelet without crushing a few heads... err eggs. I mean eggs...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:02 AM   #230
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
we all no an orcs standpoint.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:38 PM   #231
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Shhh. I'm in disguise

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 05-18-2003, 06:12 PM   #232
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Hey, *bump* Feanor was just misunderstood - who's with me?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #233
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

AAARGH, an earlier Feanor debate, just when we had a stake through the heart of the earlier one. OK, I'll state my reactions after looking through this thread:
1. The difference between an evil person, man or elf, and a man or elf that does evil is an entirely false dichotomy. There is no such thing as a totally evil individual, as C.S. Lewis proved, or they would have no good qualities, such as intelligence, will, etc.
2. JRRT was a Roman Catholic, and that Church regards Pride as the worst of all sins. Period. Pride is the farthest thing from a good quality that you can get, and is not an excuse for evil actions, but rather the chief cause of them.
3. A villain is a character in a literary work that does evil things.
4. Feanor was directly and indirectly responsible for many evil actions, the Kinslaying, the abandonment of his brother's host, etc. He was therefore evil and a villain. Not in Melkor's or Sauron's league, but quite in Saruman's, I think.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:27 PM   #234
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Hey, *bump* Feanor was just misunderstood - who's with me?
Me!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #235
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

*beats head on computer desk*
Old 05-20-2003, 10:00 AM   #236
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Don't worry about it. He was a villain. He's sitting right here next to me in the villain's club.

Females don't want him to be a villain because they think he's cute, but you know how they are, they almost always wind up picking the wrong guy......

Old 05-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #237
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hehe - Blackheart you're wrong. We think he's cute because he's a villain. If that's what he is.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #238
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Bah. If that were so then all the women would think that I was cute, instead of merely ruggedly handsome...

Old 05-21-2003, 01:32 PM   #239
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
Don't worry about it. He was a villain. He's sitting right here next to me in the villain's club.

Females don't want him to be a villain because they think he's cute, but you know how they are, they almost always wind up picking the wrong guy......
That is soooooo not true. Feanor is a villian and he is evil. He is not cute. Finrod, now that's an Elf who's hot. *fans self with folder from her desk*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:32 PM   #240
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Ruggedly handsome is also yummy.

Fëanor was not a villain to begin with, but he became one. You misled him, Blackheart.

Last edited by Artanis : 05-21-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote