Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2005, 12:10 AM   #221
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Because I'm so clever, if I could live in any fantasy world I'd choose one with the possibility of dimensional travel. That way, if I ever got bored, I could move to another world.
It's called the imagination, dearie! And I'm constantly living there.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:28 AM   #222
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
It's called the imagination, dearie! And I'm constantly living there.
lol, don't we all? I know I do. But I think it would be so cool to actually live in one of those places!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #223
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Atharon would be my home that, or the Forgotten Realms, or Middle Earth of course...
Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 AM   #224
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

I'd probably reside in one of the Sundered Realms, most likely Chelestra. Middle-Earth and the Star Wars galaxy follow closely, though. I also like the Icewind Dale. It reminds me of home. ^^

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #225
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulio, Strength of Many
I'd probably reside in one of the Sundered Realms, most likely Chelestra. Middle-Earth and the Star Wars galaxy follow closely, though. I also like the Icewind Dale. It reminds me of home. ^^
If I had to choose any of the Sundered Realms, I'd choose Arianus. But personally I wouldn't like to stay on any of them - they're too schrewed up.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #226
ringbearer
Elf Lord

The obvious answer is the "Amber Universe"...because, as an initiate of the Patern, you could then choose any reality you could think of!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #227
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer
The obvious answer is the "Amber Universe"...because, as an initiate of the Patern, you could then choose any reality you could think of!
Would your mind be able to cope with such a choice? - no offence meant to you
Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #228
Jabberwock
Enting

Hmm

This is probably the last universe I'd have thought I'd pick, but I think it would be interesting to live in the reality created by the guys who made those Myst video games. That way you could create your own world in books the way they do. Although, now that I think of it, if you're a fantasy writer, even a bad one, you create your own worlds anyway, and, to some extent, 'live' in them because you created that world, its troubles, its characters, etc.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #229
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Hmm...Interesting (sorry, and confusing, as I've never heard of Myst) .
Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 PM   #230
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Very interesting topic, and hard to answer! (beware of long post-- I read a lot!)

The first consideration is, do I get to change who I am? I don't mean personality, but race, looks, powers, etc.

If I don't change my race and powers, I have to say that most fantasy worlds would be really boring. I mean, why go to Middle Earth if I just have to sit around and embroider or weave at home on some farm in Rohan? Not that I'm against farms or handicrafts, but if that's the only option (and for me with my current race and powers it would be) I'd rather stay here. But if I could be some cool elf with magical powers or an Eagle or water-spirit or Maia, it could be really interesting.

As for Narnia, it was destroyed (read the Last Battle) in the 1940's. You can't go there anymore, unless you're dead. Bummer. If I was dead, though, I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia is my next fantasy choice. Even as an ordinary woman (or at least a noblewoman) it could be interesting. If I had magical powers, it would be very cool. I'd join the Conclave of Shadows.

Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest is awesome. Anyone can do spells there, if they take the time to study and learn them. I would love to be a dragon's princess, if I were a princess. But I think I'd prefer being a witch like Morwen.

Harry Potter's universe would of course be cool, if I were a witch.

Lloyd Alexander has some awesome worlds, like Prydain. I'd want to be some sort of artist in his world, or one of the 3 witches, and I'm sure I could get by.

Valdemar (Mercedes Lackey's main fantasy universe) would also be cool, but only if I could either be a mage like Kethry or a herald. Or a Companion... that could be interesting. Also, I'd love to be a Bard in her Bedlam's Bard universe-- fighting evil elves and things in L.A. or New York. I'd have to learn to play a small, portable instrument, though... or sing magic like Ace.

Garth Nix's Old Kingdom is too morbid for me. Xanth is too zany. Most of them would just be boring, because nothing interesting happens to anyone but the main characters (Dark is Rising universe, Belgariad world, etc.) In general I really think I'd prefer a science fiction world to a fantasy one.

In Pern I'd want to be either a dragonrider or a harper. Anne McCaffrey's other universes would be interesting too-- I'd love to be a Talent. In the Star Wars universe I could do anything and it would be awesome. I'd also love visiting any of Orson Scott Card's futuristic universes, especially the planet called Treason.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 AM   #231
Bran
Hobbit

Middle-Earth is of course tempting...but also has a lot to do with what time in it's history you were there. No matter what time period though, I can't say I'd refuse a trip to the Green Dragon! That sounds like fun!

Earthsea is another very tempting one, for me. I love the idea of sailing around to all these different islands...visiting Gont and things. Much more fun though if your a wizard, though.

Lyra's world from His Dark Materials would be awesome, also. Having a Daemon would be rad...plus it's a world so much like our own and yet so much more interesting. Witchs and bears and werewolfs...

The Star Wars universe would also be really cool...that way I also wouldn't be relying on being a Mage or anything in order to have a blast!

Last edited by Bran : 10-19-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #232
Lenya
Elentári

Why haven't I thought of Star Wars?? Yeah, that will rock! Providing that you have a cool (kinda small) spaceship that can hyperjump , which I will have. And a lightsaber off course.

Say Bran, just curious, is it Bran as in Brandon Stark?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #233
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Hmm...Interesting (sorry, and confusing, as I've never heard of Myst) .

Somebody needs to be re-neducated. Honestly, go buy the newest one, and be absorbed into something... wonduhfuuuullll..... Cyan Games.

Love, LOVE Myst. Excellent idea.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:03 PM   #234
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Will take a look...eventually .
Old 10-23-2005, 12:42 AM   #235
Bran
Hobbit

To answer your question Lenya, no, not as in Brandon Stark, but rather as in Bran from the Dark Is Rising series, and the Welsh God, Bran.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #236
Lenya
Elentári

Oh. Think you could maybe quickly tell me about the Welsh God? Just briefly - hate to be off topic and all.

Pity it's not Brandon, from Song of Ice and Fire series, he is so cool!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #237
Bran
Hobbit

Sorry, Lenya, all the information I could find on it was this little bit in my dictionary. "Celtic giant: in Celtic mythology, a giant god who ruled Britain and installed his son, Gwern, as king of Ireland" I chose the name more because of how much I enjoyed the Dark Is Rising series, and thought the name was cool.

Socrates
Old 10-29-2005, 03:41 AM   #238
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Here's a link to the entire myth. It's one of the more favourite celtic myths. I quite like Celtic mythology, but I wouldn't want to live in it.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:37 PM   #239
Bran
Hobbit

Thanks alot Earniel, I'd like to read up on it also. Much appreciate .

Socrates
Old 10-30-2005, 12:46 AM   #240
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran
Lyra's world from His Dark Materials would be awesome, also. Having a Daemon would be rad...plus it's a world so much like our own and yet so much more interesting. Witchs and bears and werewolfs...
You know what attracts us to those things? The novelty. If you encountered dolphins on Planet Earth, and were the first person ever to have seen them, you would experience the same thrill. You wouldn't even have to be the first person to see them if it's an uncommon and unexpected experience; you would feel that thrill.

I experience that thrill to some small extent whenever I encounter a creature unexpectedly, even though I already know about the species. When I saw a racoon at camp for the first time, there was that same thrill of excitement. When I an oppossum strolled by my chair outside the other day, an oppossum the size of a large cat, by the way, I experienced that same thrill.

It's the thrill of the unexpected. We live in a bizarre fantasy world already, only we are accustomed to it. If someone from the feudal Europe in the Middle Ages came and checked out one of our zoos, or heck, even walked down one of our highways, the astonishment, exhileration and amazement would be beyond imagining.

If you grew up in one of the "more interesting" fantasy environments you suggest, you would be accustomed to it, and it would be no more interesting than our world is.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote