Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2003, 12:15 AM   #221
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
"That's because LoTR Is fantasy that makes sense. LoTR was supposed to be an image of what Medieval times ACTUALLY WERE."
Actually that's not accurate. Hobbits were WAY post-medieval; and I didn't see any poverty-stricken peasants. Nor, for that matter, did I see Rivendell in the Medieval times.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:47 AM   #222
Anglorfin
Alasailon

LotR wins hands down against WoT. That isn't to say that WoT is a bad series, I rather enjoyed it sofar. Jordan's world is far more political and has to do more with the character interaction and whatnot. But Tolkien still creates the most vivid picture of a fantasy land and makes it come to life better than any other fantasy writer thus far.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #223
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Well, Gwaimir, it's more accurate than any particular WoT series... Lord of The Rings was more of a 'what if...?' fantasy, realistic in a sense. It's more of a 'what if Elves and hobbits existed back then?' rather than, "I'll make a brand-new world with Elves and Hobbits!"

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #224
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

i really like WoT! Is the Darklord really dead? I just finsihed the first book.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:05 AM   #225
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninquelote
Well, Gwaimir, it's more accurate than any particular WoT series... Lord of The Rings was more of a 'what if...?' fantasy, realistic in a sense. It's more of a 'what if Elves and hobbits existed back then?' rather than, "I'll make a brand-new world with Elves and Hobbits!"
In a way, yes, tho' I don't agree with you entirely. But I do agree that it's MORE realistic.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #226
Millane
The Dude

im only up to The Fires of Heaven but i think they are awesome books... i would put them up there a bit behind LotR but thats understandable... Ninquelote, i get what your friend was saying about the 10 books in WoT. it is good because it just keeps on going but it loses none of its awesomeness. i dont know about you but i wouldnt be complaining if LotR went as long as WoT.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:59 AM   #227
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

There are so many good reviews here, i may just have to read it!

"Begun, the Clone War has..."
~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.

Last edited by TheWhiteRider : 04-12-2003 at 02:02 AM.
TheWhiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #228
Arcala
Elven Warrior

You really should, TWR! I think WoT is one of the best series ever!
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #229
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

I am going to the library soon to get the first one.

~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:26 PM   #230
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

I'm reading the 2nd book now
Old 04-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #231
b4ugo
Sapling

Location: Well, at the mo, I'm in front of the computer, does that help? There's a hill nearby and a big tree too!
WoT

I'm up to the nineth book now and I'm loving it!

I have to admit that there are a few boring bits, RJ does tend to go on a bit sometimes. He must really enjoy describing situations and people for some reason. He puts in a lot of effort and detail that I think is absolutely amazing. I played a demo of the game which was pretty good. Spooked me a bit when I didn't bother to read the instrucrtions at the tart though... jheejhee!

It can rival LotR in some aspects but I still reckon tolkien is the better writer. RJ can have a bit of tediousness in his writing. Like he just has to make 700 pg or they're not publishing or something.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 PM   #232
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

I haven't gotten a chance to go to the library yet, and I was wondering who writes WoT?

~Yoda

~H.I.M.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #233
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
About the time problem:

In The Wheel of Time, time is, well, a wheel. The Ages come and go, around and around and around and around . . . So it takes place in both the future and the past, so to speak.

If you pay very close attention, you can find references to modern-day occurrences. For example:

The Eye of the World - check out what Thom says when he first appears in the Two Rivers. Remember how he jumps up on a rock and starts juggling? Read what he says! He's talking about telling ancient stories from before the Age of Legends. Examples of these stories are that of Terez (or something like that) the fabulous mother of Ind, some guy with a name like Lenn going to the moon on an eagle, and some other things I forgot. Compare these two examples to the following: Mother Teresa of India, John Glenn going to the moon in the Eagle . Thom is talking about things from our time!

So I think WOT takes place two "ages" in the future. After our time comes the Age of Legends, when magic and technology are both at their height, then WOT. Things just go in circles with slight differences.
YAY i found another of these refernces in The Fires of Heaven get this they are talking about Birgette in the world of dreams...
Quote:
Her short white coat and voluminous yellow silk trousers, gathered at the ankles above short boots with raised heels, were garments of more than two thousand years ago that she had taken a liking to.
does that not sound like typical 80's gettup??????? it has to be...

ohhh and Robert Jordan writes WoT
Old 04-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #234
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

Thanks!

~Yoda

~H.I.M.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:10 PM   #235
Strongbow
Hobbit

I didnt read all of the posts here.

On WoT: Wheel of time is an awsome series and IMHO is the only series that can "rival" Tolkien. It is a series that focuses quite a bit more on conversation and charecter development, although it is not lacking in any other aspect.

On Tolkien: As of yet i have only read Silmarillion, Hobbit, Fellowship, and less than half of Two Towers (its sitting next to me now). This series is more focused on the history of the world and the world itself. This draws the reader in so much, its amazing.

IMHO they are two series that although some (not necesarily on this board, again i havnt read all the posts) think "rival" eachother, i think give readers two very unique writing styles and are each in their own domain. Epic Fantasy would have suffered without one or the other being written (although as of book 10 WoT isnt finished yet : P )

Those are my two bits on WoT and Tolkien
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:06 PM   #236
Arcala
Elven Warrior

What is IMHO exactly?
I've heard people talking about it, and never really found out what it was. Explanation, please?
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:25 PM   #237
Strongbow
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcala
What is IMHO exactly?
I've heard people talking about it, and never really found out what it was. Explanation, please?
In My Honest Opinion : )
~ Duke Raul
===========
Old 05-04-2003, 03:45 PM   #238
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Two questions about Rand :

1. If he's so psyco on the 3rd book how's he going to be in like book 5.

2. Does it ever say who his real parents are?

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar : 05-04-2003 at 06:45 PM.
ArwenEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:00 PM   #239
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Only on Book 3, eh? Don't worry, your questions will be answered, and replaced with some sufficiently unanswerable ones.

I haven't been to this thread in a year and a half (when I finished #7, The Crown of Swords). I bought Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart but I never got around to reading them. As time passed, I just sort of gave up on WoT. And now apparently there's a tenth one out?

Without any spoilage, could somebody tell me if it's at all worth it for me to get back to WoT at some point? By the end of the seventh volume, I'd realized that my falling asleep in the middle of reading any of those given books was not, in fact, due to (coincidentally-timed) chronic fatigue.

I maintain that Robert Jordan knows how to string a plot together, but would I be missing anything if I just read chapter-by-chapter Cliff Notes-esque summaries instead? Mind you, I absolutely hate Cliff Notes and the like, but trying to fight my way through WoT just became painful at some point. And I mean physically painful.

I hate giving up on a series, I really do. But I decided to take a long break after #7 and read a wealth of other material, and what I found was that I had absolutely no desire to continue. So my question is, does anything compelling happen over the next few books, and is the end even remotely in sight?

What is especially painful is that if I do get back to the series, I will probably have to flip through the ones I've already read, to get a good sense of what's going on. This time, I'm going to skim. Skimming is a very bad habit of mine that I've pretty much broken over the course of the past two or three years, but sometimes, there's just nothing else I can do.

Robert Jordan isn't a horrible writer, but he seriously needs an editor. Several of them, if possible.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:35 PM   #240
Strongbow
Hobbit

haha, yeah the 6th and seventh books were a bit drawn out. 8th book is very action based if i remember correctly, lots of warfare. the enfd of book 9 is IMHO (do i overuse that acronym? (sp) ) one of the best scenes in all the series. Book ten takes place in a short span of time and sets everything ready for the end of many plots. by the end of book ten the suspence is massive and i cant wait to see how things will go in 11 (which i havnt heard is even in the works yet.)

i think if you can find the time over the summer or some other chance it would be worth the effort to read them.

and on a side note, what other series features igloo sex? : P
~ Duke Raul
===========