Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #221
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

In ages past I often thought the axiom "'tis better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all" to be hogwash as the pain is a real bummer. But then I met the one who was to be my soulmate and it all made perfect sense
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM   #222
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

She made her decision.

It's over.

Last edited by Andúril : 05-21-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #223
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...take a deep breath, close that door and move forward.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #224
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Shes a looker.

Try to appreciate the tragic artistry of the moment. Perhaps it will inspire you to prose.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 05-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #225
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Ever done nothing? Just been numb and dumb or pleasant and peaceful?
Just gets dull after a while and stale.
Whatever you feel right know Anduril: i bet you feel alive yeh?
for sure it may be an emotional mealstorm whirl of feeling alive, but there you go.
I may have got the wrong end of the stick on this (so apols if have) : but don't wallow in the tragedy: fight for her if you want her: be positive, be honest and be prepared to lay it all on the line: don't take what she says as a literal thing: women are strange like that: testing all the goddam time; will he fight for me? Is he sexy: is he dangerous and daring etc?

Mate IF you want her just be clear about it and say so and if you want to hear from her every minute of every day (Within reason) then act on it otherwise you're giving out wrong and unclear signals

well that my ten bob's worth: don't wallow in pity (esp if you enjoy it! ): be honest with yourself and to her ( some subtletly always goes a long way at the right time and place for sure and some empathy and some goddam' honest Stag like desire at others)

if its over its over: if not and you don't want it to be: have a heart to heart and follow your dreams: see where life leads you and be content that you did so in your own heart for the rest of your life rather than looking back and wondering what held you back?

DISCLAIMER: life's a bitch sometimes and i take no responsibility for any advice given here

In general

without knowing pain or stress or even occasionally getting angry it's hard to know and appreciate the quiet loving moments: to appreciate beauty and life's many wonders rather than blithely take it all for granted and despise the good,the honest and the peaceful easy relaxing things in life.

Philosophically can we even know pleasure without knowing pain?

(therefore potentially Anduril you've stored up a fair stockpile of Pleasure ahead: ps she is a looker)

Best
BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-10-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #226
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I was trying to Role Play with someone on a MUD (text based game) I play on. The person who played the other character was annoyed with me for (I suspect) reasons that had more to do with me than with the character I was playing, so they sent my character to a dungeon.

I was writing a really old man (70s), and so of course he called the other man a child, and spoke with him for a little while, then resigned himself to a horrible death and refused to continue speaking. So the other character lets my character go, and then when I sent the other player a message thanking him for the fun role play he sends me back the message saying that it had been stupid role play because I 'wouldn't speak to him'.

Then I mentioned to a friend of mine on the mud that I had gagged the other player (set up my browser to ignore him completely) for insulting me, and the people who run the game started chewing me out and saying that I was 'crossing the line'.

I feel extremely hurt, because I KNOW they saw him insult me, but they chose to yell at me because I told someone else I had been insulted!

I'm so hurt right now it's not even funny. I try my best to write a believable character, and not only do I get insulted by another player but the owners of the game tell me that I was out of line for gagging him and telling someone else about it. I'm not a generally talented person at much of anything, but I've always taken some pride in my writing skills since they're above average for most kids my age.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 PM   #227
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Then I mentioned to a friend of mine on the mud that I had gagged the other player (set up my browser to ignore him completely) for insulting me, and the people who run the game started chewing me out and saying that I was 'crossing the line'.
Boy, do I know how you feel ...

Quote:
I feel extremely hurt, because I KNOW they saw him insult me, but they chose to yell at me because I told someone else I had been insulted!
yup - been there

Quote:
I'm so hurt right now it's not even funny. I try my best to write a believable character, and not only do I get insulted by another player but the owners of the game tell me that I was out of line for gagging him and telling someone else about it.
I know just how you feel; it happened to me recently. I'm sorry that it happened to you, and hope you're feeling better soon *moothug* I guess you just have to make up your mind that some people are just going to be mean, no matter how nice you try to be, and then just enjoy the nice people. Also, I think in things like this there is often some misunderstanding going on.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #228
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

What a day ...

Today was the speech meet for my middle son. He won in his class, then he won his grade, and today was the speech meet with the other schools. It was at our school, so I got there at 12 to pick him up. I made his favorite lunch and thought we'd eat in the car and then he could play his gameboy for a bit until registration at 12:45. On my way to his class, the vice-principal stops me and tells me that he fell and hit his head, but they've got ice on it and he seems to be fine. I keep going to his room and run into a girl from his class, who tells me what happened - he was in his chair and the lessons were over and the kids were waiting to be picked up, and his friends asked him to make his red face (he's really fair-skinned, and he can hold his breath and turn beet red - I mean really red! - and he looks really funny, kinda like a blonde-haired blue-eyed turnip ) and he did it so well that he passed out! He then fell and hit his head on his desk, went sideways and hit his head on a friend's desk, then hit his head on the floor and was out cold. The teacher got to him and called his name and he opened his eyes and said, "where am I?", and thought he was dreaming at home of his teacher! I mean, he was really out! and he had a whopper of a bump.

So the speech meet is in just over an hour, and he thinks he can still do it. I take him to the car, turn the air-conditioning on, get him some food and a cold drink, and have him rest a bit. Then he starts crying and doesn't want to do the speech meet anymore - he wants to go to after-school daycare and play with his friends. It was SO hard to determine how much is from the head hit, and how much is from nerves about a speech meet, and whatever. I didn't want to just let him not do the speech meet, because he was committed to it and he needs to follow through on his commitments, but OTOH he just really hit his head hard! It was so difficult to find the balance between letting him not do it and encouraging him to do it because he'll feel glad he did it after.

Finally he said he wanted to do it, but that his head hurt and he didn't think he could do it. When he finally got to this point, I told him it was entirely up to him, but his two choices were: 1) if you head hurts so much that you can't do the speech meet, then you certainly aren't well enough for playing at daycare, so we'll go home and you'll lie down on your bed with the shades drawn and rest for 3 hours; 2) if you are well enough to try, then we'll go to the room and wait for your turn, and if it's your turn but you don't feel well enough, we'll pass, but if you're well enough to do it you can play at daycare after.

He decided to go with option 2. He was number 8 of about 12, and after every student went, he would whisper to me various things - my head hurts worse and I don't want to do it, my head is better and I think I can do it, I think I'm going to throw up, I just burped and I feel better, I want to leave right now, etc etc etc. So I told him we had to stay until it was his turn because it was disruptive to leave, but it was his choice if he spoke or if he passed. Then they called his number, and he went right up there and reeled it off like a pro. He was SO glad he did it!! He did just great

Boy it's tough being a mom sometimes! I really wanted to enable him to do it because I knew he'd be glad after, but I also knew he had a knock on the head and wasn't feeling the greatest and I wanted to give him an out, too. I think it turned out for the best, but it was sure hard.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-14-2005, 03:00 AM   #229
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Owch, his poor head was knocked around like a pinball! I think you did right in having given him the option and seeing him go through with it. hehehe... I wonder from which side he got his "red face" from?*imagines a blonde haired, blue-eyed turnip*

VENT: AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! I LOST MY BLOODY STAKES RACE BECAUSE THAT ****ING NAMELESS PERSON GOT INTO A WHIPPING MATCH WITH ME HALF WAY DOWN THE STRETCH AND MADE KEENAI BOLT!!! I really, badly needed to win that race for qualifing purposes and I need to pay off some debts.

*fumes* Not only that, but I wrenched my ankle and have bloody welts from that little....*can't swear on a pg-13 board* Can't go to the hospital either, no money left... PLUS SIDE: I beat the ever loving crap out of that little twit in the lockers.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #230
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:

I'm so hurt right now it's not even funny. I try my best to write a believable character, and not only do I get insulted by another player but the owners of the game tell me that I was out of line for gagging him and telling someone else about it. I'm not a generally talented person at much of anything, but I've always taken some pride in my writing skills since they're above average for most kids my age.

hey Mr T well your'e well loved and SORELY missed and Eagerly awaited (almost impatiently you might say: cus' your so WANtED man! )
in the gates of Mirkwood RPG!

so put that Git behind you as Rian says and move on up to the welcome and friendly moot air of the Forests ...

theres Ents in dem' dere' Trees!

Rian : well done
Last Sane: condolences man: its good to know the ethic of sportsmanship is alive and well!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-14-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #231
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Have contracted cold. Don't wanna but seem to have no vote in the matter. Dislike of said cold grows with minute. Went through seven hankies since yesterday. Dislike current feelings of self-pity. Voice goes stupidly nasal. At least you don't hear me snif, cough, sneeze and mope on the internet. Fne!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #232
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

HEY! don't get germs all over this thread
Old 05-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #233
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

*sneezes in the general direction of Spock*
Old 05-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #234
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Rian, that was the cutest story about your son! I cracked up, how funny! You sound like a killer mom; your son's fortunate to have you as a mother.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 05-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #235
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Like Dangerfield, I get no respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
*sneezes in the general direction of Spock*
class always shows
Old 05-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #236
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4544833.stm

EDIT: Let's put it this way: it's not the protests that make me very, very upset.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 05-14-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:22 AM   #237
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

Rian : well done
Last Sane: condolences man: its good to know the ethic of sportsmanship is alive and well!
I know....But My fuse is really short, and I really have to work on it. But with that stunt he pulled, he put me out of the season. I can't easily take that sitting down.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #238
Rían

Thanks for your support, guys! It would have been a lot easier to just have gone home, but I thought it was worthwhile to try to settle him down and make him feel better so he could decide more rationally if he wanted to do it or not. I was so proud of him when he went up there after all he'd been through - I had tears rolling down my cheeks but was able to hold back from bawling out loud and embarassing him to death

My husband and I have brown hair, and our two other kids got our brown hair, but our middle son got the blonde hair and blue eyes and fair skin of both grandpas, two aunts and an uncle. Recessive genes at work! Our blood types also make a perfect Mendelian square, or whatever it's called (is rusty at genetics terms)

*averts her face and hands Earniel a hankie* Hope you feel better soon

Sorry to hear about the race, lastsane That must have been really frustrating! I hope your ankle is better soon. What kind of riding do you do? (I used to train and show quarter horses.) Can you do some kind of exercise-riding to earn more money?

Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #239
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good on your son for toughing it out and doing the speech! Poor buddy must have a concussion - he should take it easy and not play rugby or do his red face for a few days.

About the genetic square thing...
You mean those genetic square things that look like chemical warning labels, for the pea cross-breeding experiment?
I can only think of this table:

from Dad (ignore hyphens)
from Mom

XXX -AB- -Ab- -aB- -ab-
AB AABB AABb AaBB AaBb
Ab AABb AAbb AaBb Aabb
aB AaBB AaBb aaBB aaBb
ab AaBb Aabb aaBb aabb

Now let's say the A a genes are for eyes: A is the dominant (brown) and a is the subdominant (blue)
B is the gene for hair: B is the dominant (brown) and b is the subdominant (blond)

AA Aa aA will all give brown eyes, and only aa will give blue eyes.
BB Bb bB will all give brown hair, and only bb will give blond hair.

Now if we take the 16 combinations here...

9/16 will be brown hair and brown eyes:
(AABB AABb AaBB AaBb AABb AaBb AaBB AaBb AaBb)

3/16 will be brown eyes and blond hair:
(AAbb Aabb Aabb)

3/16 will be blue eyes and brown hair:
(aaBB aaBb aaBb)

And 1/16 (your son) will be blue eyes and blond hair!
(aabb)

In my own little vent... I'm completely and totally unmotivated to do a course that will only appear as general forestry credits (something I have no use for, really. I have credits coming out of my arse).

The plus side, is it's GIS (Geographical Informaion Systems), and that will look good on a resumé.

Other down sides include: I have a lot of other work to do getting organized for going home, the course takes craploads of effort and I'm not particularly good at it, there's loads of other things I'd rather be doing, and I just plain feel lazy.

Bah. Oh procrastination... the love/hate relationship we have...

I hope you enjoyed by genetics table - one of the only things I remember from forest plant biology (that didn't directly relate to trees anyway).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 05-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #240
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

my vent, i had an exam yesterday, and i havce another in 30 minutes, and 8 more over the coming weeks
Closed Thread