Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #221
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Enjoy your first RPG, RÃ*an .

Thanks for all the invitations to enter this RPG, Butterbeer . I still don't believe I'll be joining, but if I ever change my mind, I'll know I'm welcome.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #222
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Holy shmo! One measely night gone and this thing explodes! And yeah, I am playing Marty and Ray, since they practically feed off one another and are attached to the hip. Sorry Rian.....But its great to see you here! That and I am sure you will be killer in here! (pun somewhat intended)
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #223
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

you ain't kidding Shah!

and here was me promising that it wouldn't take too much of people's time up!...i've been on it for ages just catching up ...

Lief! or dastardly as i prefer to call you ("dastardly good rpg-er") ... i have been trying to make it more character driven and begin to have characters more developed in your honour ... and give ample opportunity for plot twists ... again in your honour ...

Quote:
I still don't believe I'll be joining
...well thats a more encouraging sign ...

Quote:
but if I ever change my mind, I'll know I'm welcome.
Indeed you will .... it's too slow around here

i too look forward to arathon

Lotesse: have edited #199 ... what was in #200 though? ... just curious!

*looks forward to Gor's plot twist*

CS and Shah: don't forget to make contact with the tharbad gazette this night! maybe the 'Widow Watching' followed you?

lotesse; whaddya reckon to the purple eyes? to be fair with the 9.8k file size limit (anyway round that??) you can't tell that much ... Shah : liked the one eyed version?

maybe Gor's picture should be a bit sexier?

best
BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-08-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #224
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

A Biography Profile

Viniglaen, Nazgul Ringwraith #9

Born and raised in Andulie, Numenor, of unknown lineage & family.

The youngest of the Nine, became a wraith after stealing a ring from a young Numenorian king's safe and then using the ring herself.

Physically: About 5'3", she is by far the tiniest in stature of all the ringwraiths, but what she lacks in height she makes up for in depth of character and passionate intensity. Petite, tomboyish, unusually beautiful yet surprisingly strong, she sports short, sexily tousled hair the rich dark colour of walnut wood, and fiercely brilliant large eyes the colour of a twilight sky peek out from under her wavy, thick long bangs. Very white skin; small pink bow-shaped lips.

Emotionally, Intellectually: Moody as all get out, possessing a temper that can match even the Witch King's himself - she is prone to unexpected violent mood swings (rather like someone I know ), but she is highly loyal and enjoys defending the weak from the strong,. In that vein, as much as she steals, she gives away - to her friends and Nazgul "family," with the exception of course being the Ruling Ring and/or a Silmaril, both of which she has high hopes of someday finding.

Skills: Master Thief and Catburglar of all Middle-Earth, her thievery skills are absolutely legendary and unsurpassed, yet her true identity is rarely revealed in the event of an historical heist ever happening. There's a connexion between what she does and the stuff that was in the Barrow Downs, for instance. Viniglaen is impossible to deceive - she's "up on game," I guess you could say. She's extremely gifted , but unfortunately missed out on a classic Numenorian high education, as she was barely 22 years old at the time she became a Nazgul. She has put the ages of time to good use, however, educating herself the best she could by reading a lot and paying close attention to her learned fellow Nazgul.

Motivation: To find the Ruling Ring, and to find a Silmaril. What she intends to do with the Ruling Ring should she ever find it, remains to be told.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-14-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #225
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

P.S. - Hey Butterbeer, where'd you put the purple eyes? I wanna see them!! Oh, in regards to that #200, I can't even remember now...

Old 09-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #226
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

BB, I like your latest post very, very much - I amof the opinion that you'd make an EXCELLENT reporter, or investigative journalist. I like your new Tharbad Gazette newspaperwoman! and how you saw Rian, when you were being a butterfly... nice!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #227
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

thanks ... but i was hoping a new mooter might take that part ... that and the well-connected in society editor of the gazette...

any ideas who?

well, we try our best BB and I to thread it along nicely ...

i'll get back to you on the eyes post number in a mo'
Old 09-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #228
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

post #186 ... my that was a way back ... only this morning too (although technically yesterday morning now ... my god! just moticed the time ... have to go to bed soon! )
Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #229
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
I hope you didn't mean "being in both words" literally, as being an elf or a half-elf does not give you an access to the spirit-world.
No, I meant it as in I'm familiar with customs, thoughts, etc. of both, moreso than a full-elf would be of a human or a full-human would be of an elf. At least that's my theory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Why, RÃ*an, this must be the first time I see you in this forum! Glad to have you here all the same. Don't worry, just relax, you'll pick up the rhythm soon enough.

...So I'll draw it myself *looks in RÃ*an's direction* after a certain T-shirt design gets inked, of course.
Yes, I thought I'd give it a try - several people have been after me to join, so I'll give it a shot.

(did I mention RÃ*an was wearing a lovely t-shirt as she was sitting in the tree? )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #230
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Whew, this thing does explode when you arent watching it, and yes, I will get in contact with thegazzette as soon as i finish my post.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:49 AM   #231
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Khamul? can you get a picture, TD?
I''ll have a look on the web today, but I can't promise anything. If anyone else finds something then feel free to post it.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #232
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
... Val seems fine to me, but too serious...
Well OF COURSE he's serious... he's a STUDENT! And remember, USAT is NOT a "Party School"... it's not... REALLY!!! It's not...

Quote:
Don't forget, Val, you have to meet with the Chancellor on Sunday Evening. There will be an official introduction and a small reception aftrwards.
*sigh* The duties of state... and so awkward to be a student at an institution over which one ultimately holds absolute control.

Now - to avoid confusion, we should iron out some things. One I'm thinking of is the title 'chancellor' - I had initially thought that King Val should have some advisors along from his court - or at least one, along with a separate tutor (or more than one tutor maybe - to cover different subjects). I used the title 'chancellor' for this advisor - but now we're also talking about a 'chancellor' of the University.

So - we can use 'chancellor' for the one at the University, but then I need another person or two to act as advisors to the king... perhaps one for matters of state, and one for matters of PR (say Lief... would you be interested in either of THESE??). My mind isn't coming up with good titles or names right now, but maybe when I get back on later. Meanwhile, any suggestions...???

I like that we have a number of different little sub-plots going on. It will be fun to grow those for awhile - and then try to pull them all together.

Nazgul - can we have some assurances that you won't go around 'wraithing' people left and right? I think it can add to the game if it happens to a 'public character' (what we used to call an NPC - "Non-Player Character") on rare occasions. Or, if anyone really WANTS it to happen to their character, we maybe work it into the story.

This game IS a bit intriguing since we have two obvious 'sides' - even though both are not really united (the Nazgul would turn on each other to obtain the One Ring - everyone else is pretty much doing their own thing, but might come together if they all sense a common threat). It could be a little tricky to maintain though - because we don't want anyone doing something unwelcome to anybody else's character (I perhaps got too close in 'feeding' lots of thoughts into Earniel's head on one post - but I was feeling particularly mischievous and told her she was welcome to edit them as much as she liked - we mods can do that).

Anyway... having fun!

Rian - I'm going to post something that may ease your character into the game. Just follow my lead if you like - and if you don't like, let me know and I'll modify it. I had been thinking of an encounter like I'm about to write anyway - but thought of a way to put you into it - and allow you the option to find out about the "job posting".

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #233
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Well OF COURSE he's serious... he's a STUDENT! And remember, USAT is NOT a "Party School"... it's not... REALLY!!! It's not...
No, Val, not ANYMORE. The new Chancellor will see to that.

Quote:
*sigh* The duties of state... and so awkward to be a student at an institution over which one ultimately holds absolute control.
It is so nice that you believe you are still in control

Quote:
Now - to avoid confusion, we should iron out some things. One I'm thinking of is the title 'chancellor' - I had initially thought that King Val should have some advisors along from his court - or at least one, along with a separate tutor (or more than one tutor maybe - to cover different subjects). I used the title 'chancellor' for this advisor - but now we're also talking about a 'chancellor' of the University.
You are right, I also noticed this. But in England the Head of the University is called "Chancellor". Perhaps we can call this one "Rector" or Grand-Maitre" but the latter is French, so hardly appropriate. I can adopt whatever title you see fit for the head of USAT.
The advisors? Esquire? Steward? Chamberlain? I am not to good at it either... Perhaps simply "advisors"?

Quote:
Nazgul - can we have some assurances that you won't go around 'wraithing' people left and right?
Why would we do such a thing? Stabbing someone with a Morgul blade is like leaving a signature. We are no fools to do that. We want our presence unknown. So if anyone gets in our way we solemnly promise to kill him/her cleanly and let his/her pathetic mortal soul go to Mandos.

Quote:
It could be a little tricky to maintain though - because we don't want anyone doing something unwelcome to anybody else's character
As long as nobody refuses to edit their posts at the request of another player - all is well.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #234
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

So... another boring meeting... *yawn*... I suppose that other nobles and visiting heads-of-state (like Nin-in-Eilph) will be present though...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #235
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Good post, Val.
Only I doubt that a bartender or a servant would be admitted to the University. I think, it was for nobles only. ME is not a democratic place, not at all. Neither was Numenor. Of course, it is just my thought, I have nothing to prove my POV.
Quote:
So... another boring meeting... *yawn*... I suppose that other nobles and visiting heads-of-state (like Nin-in-Eilph) will be present though...
I think you may bring your entourage, Val. Marty and Rey and your Chamberlain and advisors. As for Earniel, I thought she was coming incognito? At least not officially? You may ask her to come, though.

And why "boring?" Are you not eager to get acquainted with your third cousin the new Chancellor, the famous scholar and the Last Alliance hero to boot? You have very few relatives left, Val, you should treasure them.

Last edited by Gordis : 09-09-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #236
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You got this RPG incessantly running in my subconscious, Butterbeer! It's all your fault!

Fine, I'll join. I won't be spending an enormous amount of time on it though, and I may occasionally (though probably not in the beginning; I've got three days off ahead of me right now) take a little while to respond to people.

I have two questions.

1) What is the geographical location of the game, at present? Where is everyone?

2) Could I have a kind of basic storyline of what's happened so far in the game? I know Val is infatuated with Eärniel (logical ), RÃ*an is in a tree during some of her off hours, and spends other time working in an inn. She's in a tree right now. I haven't kept up properly on where everyone else is or what they're doing or have done.

EDIT: Oh, and what's the game's time period?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-09-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #237
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hi, Lief! Well, unbe-Lief-able! BBs tactics seemed to have worked, welcome 2 the game! For all the answers to those above noted questions, the best thing to do - really, this is necessary anyway - is to read the game from its beginning, then all your questions will be answered and you'll get to know all the other characters, too.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #238
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Glad to meet you, Mr.Erikson!

I support Lotesse, the main thread is GREAT to read. It explains all. It is also wery well written if I may say so myself

Do you want to be a nazgul?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #239
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Nay, I have another plan. Butterbeer kept the thought of this game in my mind, so I found myself thinking, "if I were to play, I would this is the character I would use . . . if I were to play, this would be the plot thread I would develop . . ." Those thoughts continued to develop themselves and become fairly detailed, until the interest in playing was greatly magnified.

I've read the first few posts now. Valandil's first post makes several things quite clear, and that's very helpful.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #240
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I hope that this plot twist isn't annoying to anyone. People can join in or leave it alone as they choose, of course.

Closed Thread