Old 02-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #221
Midge
Faithful Gardener

... wonder.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:55 AM   #222
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Correct, your turn Midge!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #223
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I think you'll find i gave the correct answer just shy of almost 4 weeks ago!::ee k:

For reference it was either the 2nd or 3rd of February, varying with local time and server time.

Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #224
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer View Post
Hmm, i wonder.... was it perchance Merry, in the Barrow, with the Magic Mushrooms?
You mean this post? What a very... subtle... guess.

If you're going to be around, you're welcome to take the quote. Lately it's been like Pong between Val and me.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 02-28-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #225
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

It wasn't a 'guess' Midge -it was the answer which i guess you should perhaps have 'guessed' by my telling you the answer was literally staring you in the face, given i had literally posted it above your reply!

If you recall the scene of the opening of the doors of Moria, the answer is literally written above them!

Perhaps i should have added a quotation mark on 'wonder' for the sake of absolute clarity, but quite honestly i thought using the missing word wonder, with speaker and context should have been more than enough!

Especially as the Quizzer himself had said on the 30th of January:
Quote:
Nobody knows or nobody wants to solve? Need a hint?
So forgive me for stepping in.. or perhaps interrupting?
.. but i had thought the correct speaker, at the barrow and the last missing word would clearly be enough to at least solicit a reply? At worst, surely you would expect the quiz master / current Quote Riddler to at least reply to the post, to clarify, if they, like you had any doubt, rather than just completely ignore the reply for 3 and a half weeks, and then say to you 'correct' within 26 minutes or without back checking for previous replies first?

Now i'd put the delay down to Val moving house and not thought anything of it and how you got mellons to fit in to those letters was hilarious

However,as for who takes the quote next, that is clearly up to Val to respond to, and perhaps also explain why he didn't reply to a players answer? Im hoping it was just an oversight, which is why i replied on the 28th feb.

Or perhaps you are right, and you two consider this game your own personal game of 'ping pong' .. and no others are encouraged to post or are welcome here?

I sincerely hope that is not the case, but if it IS the latter, would you two just please make that clear to everyone, instead of wasting peoples time and making them feel bad?

If it isn't the case, as i hope, then its up to Val to adjudicate.
Best wishes, BB
Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #226
Valandil

Quote:
It wasn't a 'guess' Midge -it was the answer which i guess you should perhaps have 'guessed' by my telling you the answer was literally staring you in the face, given i had literally posted it above your reply!

If you recall the scene of the opening of the doors of Moria, the answer is literally written above them!

Perhaps i should have added a quotation mark on 'wonder' for the sake of absolute clarity, but quite honestly i thought using the missing word wonder, with speaker and context should have been more than enough!

Especially as the Quizzer himself had said on the 30th of January:

.. but i had thought the correct speaker, at the barrow and the last missing word would clearly be enough to at least solicit a reply? At worst, surely you would expect the quiz master / current Quote Riddler to at least reply to the post, to clarify, if they, like you had any doubt, rather than just completely ignore the reply for 3 and a half weeks, and then say to you 'correct' within 26 minutes or without back checking for previous replies first?

Now i'd put the delay down to Val moving house and not thought anything of it and how you got mellons to fit in to those letters was hilarious

However,as for who takes the quote next, that is clearly up to Val to respond to, and perhaps also explain why he didn't reply to a players answer? Im hoping it was just an oversight, which is why i replied on the 28th feb.

Or perhaps you are right, and you two consider this game your own personal game of 'ping pong' .. and no others are encouraged to post or are welcome here?

I sincerely hope that is not the case, but if it IS the latter, would you two just please make that clear to everyone, instead of wasting peoples time and making them feel bad?

Best wishes, BB
BB - you already took this discussion to the Teacup Cafe, so I responded to you there. So once again, here's the answer I already gave you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil in Teacup Cafe
Well... you DID put the word out there, and it was clear to me that you knew it was the solve. But you didn't give the word as though it was a solution, and never claimed the solve for yourself. So I thought you might not want it - and I decided to hang back and see what happened. And I didn't know if you'd be back in a day, or six months.

If you really want the post, you can do it. But you'll have to follow the rules of the game (see its first post) and you'll have to keep on top of solve attempts.
So go for it - if you really want to do it. But you have to play the game by the rules.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #227
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:

I sincerely didn't mean to upset you, BB. I didn't post the quote, and so I didn't understand that you had actually posted the answer.

Quote:
Yeah, if you read back through them, I kind of see how it played out. Not realizing you'd made a guess, I kind of just took off with other guesses and since you seemed to want me to figure it out, Val probably assumed you were hinting, not guessing.

Quote:
and how you got mellons to fit in to those letters was hilarious
You said it was like the riddle of the doors of Moria, so I tried the answer to that riddle, hoping it would work.

Quote:

Best wishes, BB
Let me make one thing VERY clear. The Quote Game is always more fun when more people participate! It makes it more of a competition to get the right words first, instead of just getting them at all. When I said it was like Pong with Val and me, I just meant that we two are the only regular visitors to this thread - other people will pop in from time to time and guess, but it seems to me that everyone else is VERY careful not to guess the last element so they don't have the responsibility of posting the next quote and checking back on guesses (*quick evil eye around*).

So let me be clear (as you asked): COME ONE, COME ALL! COME PLAY THE QUOTE GAME! IT'LL BE FUN! THERE MIGHT BE VIRTUAL COOKIES!

And if I did do something to make you feel unwanted or anything negative, I truly apologize. Even though I am far from perfect, "Make other people feel bad" is not on my to-do list.

Now, according to the rules, you get the next quote if you want it. You gonna post?

Old 03-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #228
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

BB, you're reading too much into it. It's near impossible from the context of your earlier post to deduce you meant that one word as part of the quote. You can't blame us for not noticing.

Now be a dear and give us a quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
[...]but it seems to me that everyone else is VERY careful not to guess the last element so they don't have the responsibility of posting the next quote and checking back on guesses (*quick evil eye around*).
Yeah, about that... I have to say that sometimes- more often than one'd think- the final word does elude me and I kinda feel bad because I think people will suspect me of doing it on purpose out of laziness.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #229
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Yeah, about that... I have to say that sometimes- more often than one'd think- the final word does elude me and I kinda feel bad because I think people will suspect me of doing it on purpose out of laziness.
Well, it's the FINAL word for a reason. If it were easy, we'd have guessed it back when we got all the "the"s and "and"s.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #230
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

O_/ t_/ s_e_h_r_s. / _u_/ m_r_a_s/ _a_e/ _o_/ b_e_/ o_r/ _t_d_. /W_/ h_v_/ o_h_r/ _u_i_e_s.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #231
Valandil

On to / s_e_h_r_s/. But mortals have not been our study. We have other/ _u_i_e_s.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #232
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

'On' is wrong, the rest correct.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #233
Valandil

"Or to shepherds. But mortals have not been our study. We have other /_u_i_e_s."

Don't remember if he was named - but I think the speaker was an Elf of Rivendell.

"shepherds" was tough, until I got that "or" - and I've got to hammer out that last word. The words that first come to mind don't fit. Common enough problem in this game.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #234
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Regarding the quote, all correct so far, just the last word needed.

Regarding the speaker, I can confirm the speaker has a name, and that name will be required.

I will not, at this point, without an actual guess on the speaker's name, either confirm or deny any supplied speculation on the speaker's species or their situational scenario at time of speaking.... but if it helps any, i will confirm (at least to the best of my knowledge) that the speaker was bipedal
Old 03-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #235
Valandil

That's the way to do it!

"junipers"?

Galdor?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #236
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Junipers does fit, and indeed makes great Gin
So top marks for a fun answer

Sadly, not correct.
Galdor makes more sense (but not as good Gin) but is also incorrect i'm affraid
Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #237
Valandil

Erestor?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #238
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Hubby looked it up and told me the answer. Now I can't guess.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #239
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Wasn't Erestor i'm afraid.

That's a shame Midge.
The speaker is fairly obscure, but Val's first instinct was on the right lines
Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #240
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

'business'?