Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #221
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"Well? Will you look?" Galadriel said steadily.
"I will m'lady. If you willing," said Sam edging up to the CCTV stystem. "It'll probably only be a car park anyway."
"Just as I thought," said Sam looking at the screen. "Wait a minute. It's the Shire, but different. It's a big Farm. And thats Ted Sandyman bulldozing down a factory, he shouldn't be doing that. I'll bulldoze 'im! And thats my ol' Gaffer farming potatoes! They should know that he's allergic!" then Sam went quiet. He could see a picture of Frodo lying against the walll pale and asleep. Turing, Sam walked back to Frodo.
"Will you look Frodo?" asked Galadriel.
"What do you counsel me to do?" replied Frodo.
"I do not give counsel, for in both answers evil may come, yet I think you have the strenght to press the play button."
"I will look," said Frodo. He moved towards the screen, picked up the remote and squeezed the play button, only just did it play. Barely did he have the strength. The screen flickered into motion and he saw a picture of Gandalf, in white! Or was it Saruman, not Gandalf on one his many journeys. The picture changed and he saw a picture of Bilbo in his room in Rivendell, rain patting on the windows, and papers everywhere. The picture changed again. It was all black with a single red dot in the middle. The dot grew larger until the plasma screen saw nothing else. It was an eye in a reel of fire. The Ring somehow appeared on it's chain and Frodo was leaning towards he screen.
"Do not touch the screen," Galadriel said softly. "I know what it is you saw last. For it is in my mind also. For I can see his thoughts,well all that are to do with the elves and the hippies, but my mind is closed from him." And behold as the held up her hand in radiance and hippy beauty a ring was revealed on her hand. Here in Nenya, the Ring of Adamant. Elrond would not spek of his, yet it can not be hidden from the Ringbearer who has seen the eye."
"I will give you the One Package, Galadriel, if you ask for it."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 01-28-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #222
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Book 2.7: The Mirror of Galadriel
/\
II
II

"So it has come to this. What I ask you willingly want to give me. But it must not be. I would become a Lawyeress. Worse than The Dark One himself. People would love me and despair. No, it must not be. I will remain the zany old Galadriel and loved by my people and when the time comes I will pass into the west." she said.

"I wish you would take the Package. You would set things right. Stopping Ted Sandyman from ruining The Shire for starters." said Sam.

"Well, it would begin with that and end with everyone being worse off." said Galadriel.

"Now we must go back, because tomorrow the time will have come for you to leave Lorien."

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 03-01-2006 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #223
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

The star field glow fell through the veil of leaves above them as the trio strolled in a hush and contemplation back to the others. Treading old paths of green and musk, beside forgotten pools and lost stone elders.

OOC - I thought I'd write something "pretty" for my 200th post. (Nobody tease me for my poor grammar or I'll fish-slap you!)

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 01-31-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #224
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

The next morning, Galadriel & Celeborn met the homies upon the green grass of Egladil, where Galadriel gave each a parting gift, to Merry, Pippin and Boromir, she gave each a gold-clasped belt, to Aragorn, she gave a green brooch, and said 'Take now the name that was prophecied for you, Elessar!' to Legolas she gave a bow and quiver, longer and more sturdy than his own, to gimli she said 'And what would a dwarf ask of the Hippy of Lorien?' to which he replied 'Can i have a pair of your knickers?', and of course no was her answer, and so he instead settled for three strands of her hair, to sam she gave a box of mud, and to Frodo, at last she turned and said 'Wit you lies the quest, I can not offer wisdom, for such advice can oft lead awry, however, I give you the torch of Earendil, our most beloved star, just make sure you change the batteries regularly!' after this, they all took a meal, and the homies were furnished with three elven speed boats, a cloak each, and a length of rope each
Old 01-29-2005, 11:16 AM   #225
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Rope!" said Sam."I´ve been worried about not having any ever since we set out. What kind of rope is this? It is in the family, you see."

"Well, if we've known it was an interest of yours we would have shown you our ropefactory. But now, alas, it is too late. You will have to make do with our gift."

"Thanks a lot. I will treasure it."

And then he got into the boat with Frodo and Aragorn.The other Homies where distributed as follows: Boromir, Merry and Pippin in one boat. Legolas and Gimli in the last one.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-31-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #226
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

OOC: GW. Aragorn was with Frodo and Sam, not Gimli!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 AM   #227
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
OOC: GW. Aragorn was with Frodo and Sam, not Gimli!
occ: thanks. editing done.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #228
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Sam continued to finger and handle his new prized rope when Frodo took notice of something, "Sam, let me see that bit of Elvin rope." Sam handed the rope to Frodo and waited for the certain praise.

"Uh, say Sam, this white soft medallion thing that the rope is strung through, do you have any idea what it is?"

"I guess it's a manufactures seal of some sort. Probably the guarantee agreement."

"Oh, well, it's just that it looks suspiciously like 'Soap-On-A-Rope' (SOAR) is all."

Sam seemed to get even more excited at this possibility, "Shirky, it's like two presents in one . . .very cool." He took back the alleged 'SOAR' and immediately brought the loop over his head to rest it upon his neck and shoulders. "Now I'm like way-cool!" He exclaimed.

Aragorn looked back from paddling at the SOAR then at Frodo then rolled his eyes and muttered,” Hobbits..."

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #229
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Book 2.8-9: Farewell To Lorien and The Great River

Since they didn't want the ORCers to hear them as they slowly glided along the River they had decided upon paddling the small Elven speed boats.

Far away on a tongue of land they saw the Lady Galadriel waving good-bye, they waved back.

Suddenly the River swept round a bend, and the banks rose upon either side, and the light of Lorien was hidden. To that fair land Frodo never came again.

The Homies now turned faces to the journey; the sun was before them, and their eyes were dazzled, for all were filled with tears. Gimli wept openly.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 03-01-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #230
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

legolas touched gimli on the shoulder 'the memory of that fair land will live in your heart forever,' he said encouragingly, as the homies glided softly down the great river.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #231
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

So the Homies went on their way long way, down the wide hurrying waters, bourne ever southwards. Bare woods stalked along either bank, and they could not see any glimpse of the lands behind. The breeze died away and the River flowed without a sound. No voice of bird broke the silence. The sun grew misty as the day grew old, until it gleamed in the pale sky like a high white pearl. Then it faded into the West, and dusk came early, followed by a grey and starless night. Far into the dark quiet hours they floated on, guiding their boats under the overhanging shadows of the western wood.

Great trees passed by like ghosts, thrusting their twisted thirsty roots through the mist down into the water. It was dreary and cold. Frodo sat and listened to the faint lap and gurgle of the River fretting among the tree-roots and driftwood near the shore, until his head nodded and he fell into an uneast sleep.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #232
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

as if in a dream, he thought he saw the eyes once again. He sat up with a start, and rubbed his eyes, it was just a log, albeit an oddly shaped log, with four spindly branches, and a humpy midsection.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:20 AM   #233
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Frodo was roused by Sam. He found that he was lying, well wrapped, under tall grey-skinned trees in a quiet corner of the woodlands on the West bank of the great River Anduin. He had slept the night away and the dim morning was dim among the grey branches. Gimli was busy with a tiny Calor gas stove near at hand.

They started again before the day was broad. Not that most of the Homies were eager to hurry southwards: they were content that the decision, which they must make at latest when they came to Rauros and the obsolete Tindrock Isle Internet Café, still lay some days ahead; and they let the River bear them on at it's on pace, having no desire to hasten towards the perils that lay beyond, whichever course they took in the end. Aragorn let them drift with the stream as they wished, husbanding their strength against the weariness to come. But he insisted that at least they should start early each day and journey on far into the evening; for he felt in his heart that time was pressing, and he feared that the Dark Lord had not been idle while they lingered in Lorien.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #234
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Nonetheless they saw no sigh of an enemy that day, nor the next. The dull grey hours passed without event. As the third day of their voyage wore on the lands changed slowly: the trees thinned and then failed altogether.

On the eastern back to their left they saw long formless slopes stretching up and away toward the sky; brown and withered they looked, as if fire had passed over them, leaving no living blakde of green: an unfriendly waste without even a broken tree or a bold stone to relieve the emptiness. They had come to the Brown Lands that lay, vast and desolate, between Southern Mirkwood and the hills of the Emyn Muil. What pestilence or war or evil deed of the Enemy had so blasted all that region even Aragorn could not tell.

Upon the west to their right the land was treeless also, but it was flat, and in many places green with wide plains of grass. On this side of the River they passed forests of great reeds, so tall that they shut out all view to the west, as the little boats went rustling by along their fluttering borders. Their dark withered plumes bent and tossed in the light cold airs, hissing softly and sadly.

Here and there through openings Frodo could catch sudden glimpses of rolling meads, and far beyond them hills in the sunset, and away on the edge of sight a dark line, where marched the southernmost ranks of the Misty Mountains.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:01 AM   #235
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

There was no sign of living things, save birds. Of these there were many: small fowl whistling and piping in the reeds, but they were seldom seen. Once or twice the travellers heard the rush and whine of swan-wings, and looking up they saw a great phalanx streaming along the sky.

"Swans!" said Sam."And mighty big ones too!"

"Yes." said Aragorn."and they are black swans."

"How wide and empty and mournful all this country looks!" said Frodo.
"I always imagined that as one journeyed south it got warmer and merrier, until winter was left behind for ever."

"But we haven't journeyed far south yet." answered Aragorn."It is still winter, and we are far from the sea. Here the world is cold until the sudden spring, and we may yet have snow again. Far away down in the Bay of Belfalas, to which Anduin runs, it is warm and merry, maybe, or would be but for the Enemy. But here we are not above sixty leagues , I guess, south of the Southfarthing away in your Shire, hundreds of long miles yonder. You are looking now south-west across the north plains of the Riddermark, Rohan the land of the Biker Lords. Ere long we shall come to the mouth of the Limlight that runs down from Fangorn, Home of the Extreme Environmentalist Movement of the Ents, to join the Great River. That is the north boundary of Rohan; and of old that lay between Limlight and the White Mountains belonged to the Rohirrim. It is a rich and pleasant land, and its grass has no rival; but in these evil days folk do not dwell by the River or ride often to its shores. Anduin is wide, yet the ORCers can shoot their arrows far acroos the stream; and of late, it is said, they have dared to cross the water and raid mechanic shops and garages of Rohan."

Sam looked from bank to bank uneasily. The trees had seemed hostile before, as if they harboured secret eyes and lurking dangers; now he wished that the trees were still there. He felt that the Homies was too naked, afloat in little Daycruisers in the midst of shelterless lands, and on a river that was a frontier of war.

In the next day or two, as they went on, borne steadily southwards, this feeling of insecurity grew on all the Homies. For a whole day they started their engines and speeded ahead. The banks slid by. Soon the River broadened and grew more shallow; long stony beaches lay upon the east, and there were gravel-shoals in the water, so that careful steering was needed. The Brown Lands rose into bleak wolds, over which flowed a chill air from the East. On the other side the meads had become rolling downs of withered grass amidst a land of fen and tussock. Frodo shivered, thinking of the lawns and fountains, the clear sun and gentle rains of Lothlorien. There was little speech and no laughter in any of the boats. Each member of the Homies was busy with hi own thoughts.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 AM   #236
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

The heart of Legolas was running under the stars of a summer night in some northern glade amid the beech-woods; Gimli was fingered gold in his mind, and wondering if it were fit to be wrought into the housing of the Lady's gift. Merry and Pippin in the middle boat were ill at ease, fo Boromir sat muttering to himself , sometimes biting his nails, as if some restlessness or doubt consumed him, sometimes pushing the throttles a notch higher and driving the boat closer to Aragorn's. Then Pippin, who sat in the bow looking back, caught a queer gleam in his eye, as he peered forward gazing at Frodo.

Sam had long ago made up his mind that, though boats were not as dangerous as he had been brought up to believe, they were far more uncomfortable than even he had imagined. He was cramped and miserable, having nothing to do but stare at the winter-lands gliding by and the grey water on either side of him. Even when they were using paddles Sam was not entrusted with one.

As dusk drew down on the fourth day, he was looking back over Frodo's and Aragorn's heads and the following boats; he was drowsy and longed for camp and the feel of earth under his toes. Suddenly something caught his sight: at first he stared at it listlessly, then he sat up and rubbed his eyes ; but when he looked again he could not see it any more.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 AM   #237
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Book 2.10: The Breaking of the Fellowship

That night they camped on a small eyot close to the western bank. Sam lay rolled in blankets beside Frodo.

"I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Mr Frodo." he said."Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway."

"Well, what was it?" said Frodo, knowing that Sam would not settle down until he had told his tale, whatever it was."I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left Lothlorien."

"It wasn't funny that way, Mr Frodo. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!"

"The log's all right." said Frodo."There are many in the River. But leave out the eyes."

"That I won't." said Sam."'Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak. I saw what I took to be a log floating along in the half-light behind Gimli's boat; but I didn't give much heed to it. Then it seemed as fi the log was slowly catching us up. and that was peculiar, as you might say, seeing as
we were all floating on the stream together. Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What's more, it wasn't a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept digging in and out of the water."

"That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it was still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head for whatever-it-was was coming along fast now and getting close behind Gimli. But whether those two lamps spotted me moving and staring, or whether I came to my senses, I don't know. When I looked again, it wasn't there. Yet i think I caught a glimpse, with the tail of my eye, as the saying is, of something dark shooting under the shadow of he bank. I couldn't see no more eyes, though."

"I said to myself: "dreaming again, Sam Gamgee." I said; and said no more just then. But I've been thinking since, and now I'm not so sure. What do you make of it, Mr Frodo?"

"I should make nothing of it but a log and the dusk and sleep in your eyes, Sam." sa*d Frodo."if this was the first time that those eyes had been seen. But it isn't. I saw them away back north before we reached Lorien. And I saw a strange creature with eyes climbing to the flet that night. Haldir saw it too. And do you remember the report of the Elves that went after the ORCers?"

"Ah." said Sam."I do; and I remember more too. I don't like my thoughts; but thinking of one thing and another, and Mr Bilbo's stories and all, I fancy I could put a name on the creature, at a guess. A nasty name. Gollum the Cat-burgler, maybe?"

"Yes, that is what I have feared for some time." said Frodo."Ever since the night on the flet. I suppose he was lurking in Moria, and picked up our trail then; but I hoped that our stay in Lorien would throw him off the scent again. The miserable creature must have been hiding in the woods by the Silverlode, watching us start off!"

"That's about it." said Sam."And we'd better be a bit more watchful ourselves, or we'll feel some nasty finger round our necks one of these nights, if we ever wake up to feel anything. And that's what I was leading up to. No need to trouble Strider or the others tonight. I'll keep watch. I can sleep tomorrow, being no more than luggage in a boat, as you might say."

"I might." said Frodo."And I might say "luggage with eyes"." You shall watch; bu only if you promise to wake me half-way towards morning, if nothing happens before then."

In the dead hours Frodo came out of a deep dark sleep to find Sam shaking him."It's a shame to wake you." whispered Sam."but that's what you said. There's nothing to tell, or not much. I thought I heard some soft plashing and a sniffing noice, a while back; but you hear a lot of such queer sounds by a river at night."

He lay down, and Frodo sat up, huddled in his blankets, and fought off his sleep. Minutes and hours passed slowly, and nothing happened. Frodo was just yielding to the temptation to lie down agian when a dark shape, hardly visible, floated close to one of the moored speedboats. A long whitish hand could be dimly seen as it shot out and grabbed the gunwale; two lampliek eyes shone coldly as they peered inside, and then they lifted and gazed upon Frodo on the eyot. They were not more than a yard or two away, and Frodo heard the soft hiss of intaken breath. He stood up, drawing Sting from its sheath, and faced the eyes. Immediately their light was shut off. There was another hiss and a splash, and the dark log-shape shot away downstream into the night. Aragorn stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.

"What is it?" he whispered, springing up and coming over to Frodo."I felt something in my sleep. Why have you drawn Sting?"
"Gollum." answered Frodo."Or at least, so I guess."
"Ah!" said Aragorn."So you know about our little footpad, do you? He padded after us all through Moria and right down to Nimrodel. Since we took to boats, he has been lying on a log and paddling with hands and feet. I've tried to catch him once or twice at night; but he's slier than a fox, and as slippery as a fish. I hoped the river-voyage would beat him, but he's too clever a waterman."
"We shall have to try going faster tomorrow. You lie down now, and I'll keep watch for what is left of the nigh. I wish I could lay my hands on the wretch. We might make him useful. But if I cannot, we shall have to try and lose him. He's very dangerous. Quite apart from murder by nigth on his own account, he may put any enemy that is about on our track."

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 03-01-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #238
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Boromir sat apart from the others, glancing around shiftily and biting his nails. Pippin was tired of journeying with such a nervous wreck (for they shared the same boat) so decided to do something about it.
"Boromir," he said, approaching the man, "I know this trip has been hard on you. You've been on the road longer than any of us, save maybe Gandalf, who knows what he gets up to, so..." Pippin lowered his voice, "I'm going to let you in on a secret."
Boromir stopped biting his nails, "It was a long, difficult road to Imladris. I didn't even have a map! And after I lost my horse... now I... well..." Boromir wanted to confide in the cheerful young Hobbit, but he dared not reveal his dark desire.
"Well maybe this will take a load off your mind," said Pippin, sitting next to him. He glanced around at the Fellowship. No one was looking their way. Slowly, he reached inside his cloak and took out a small hip flask. "Sixty-year-old scotch," he whispered conspiratorilly, "It was a present from Fatty Bolger before we left. Go on," he offered the flask, "Have a sip. It will put things in perspective for you."
Boromir took a swig and visibly seemed to relax. "Aaah..."
"Things aren't so bad now are they?" said Pippin cheerfully, taking back the flask. "I'll leave you to your thoughts."
Pippin walked back to the camp, but as he sat contemplating, Boromir's eyes slid to Frodo.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 02-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #239
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Frodo looked uneasily at aragorn and the others, he knew what he must do, but he was afraid of doing it. 'Aragorn!', he called out 'I wish to be alone for a few moments, to think,' 'Very well,' said Aragorn, 'But do not stray too far, and do not be too long about it!' only sam marked boromir's eyes fixated upon frodo as he left the clearing
Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #240
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

At first Frodo walked aimlessly around in the forest but he noticed that his steps where steadily taking him towards a higher point. He came to a ruinous path which he followed. In steep places stairs of stone had been hewn, but now they were caracked and worn, and split by the roots of trees.

He kept on going for a while until he reached the summit where Rowan-trees grew in a circle in which midst there was an disused parabolic antenna. The little upland clearing was open upon the East and was filled with early sunlight. Frodo halted and looked out over the River. to Tol Brandir and the birds wheeling in the great gulf of air between him and the untrodden isle. The voice of Rauros was a mighty roaring mingled with a deep throbbing boom.

He sat down upon the stone and cupped his chin in his hands, staring eastwards but seeing little with his eyes. All that had happened since he left The Shire was passing through his mind, and he recalled and pondered everything that could remember of Gandalf's words. Time went on, and still he was no neared to a choice.

Suddenly he awoke from his thoughts: a strange feeling came to him that something was behind him, that unfriendly eyes was upon him. He sprang up and turned; but all that he saw to his surprise was Boromir, and his face was smiling and kind.
Closed Thread