Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #221
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Gordis, I just now had a chance 2 read your post - it's so good, of course. Wish I could write like that. I like the peep-hole idea! Wonder when Val will have a chance to write again, I hope soon. Shah, you around today? How was your flight? Viv & Ray are heading back to the mansion for now, and then - I'm not sure WHAT to post, again. Perhaps Ray has a better idea, where to go for the evening, after they report Grisznutz to the guardsmen? I'm trying to do all this moving, and stuff, and am still dry-ish on ideas, plus I feel Ray should "take the reins," so to speak, for the rest of their night together. If only Crazy Squirrel could post something - CS, maybe Lilly wants Viv back at the house? Or something, god I don't know what to write at this point...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #222
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Cool post, Udu. Hey, you guys, so is someone going to give a speech, or something, at the reception? How long will it last - this party, that is, and the evening's festivities and stuff? Will all the professors give brief speeches? Are we waiting for King Valandil at this point? What's going to happen? When will we ever start school, does Aiwendis get to visit with her "family" at Orrodel one of these days? When does Udu get to run into Lilly, Viv and Pengolod/Five? *questions, questions...*

Old 10-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #223
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Lotesse - I am certainly glad to see that you have returned. I would miss you very much if you had not. I enjoyed your RPG post today very much. I hope Grisznutz will be back. Thanks for the kind words.

"When does Udu get to run into Lilly, Viv and Pengolod/Five?"

I was wondering the same as you are. Perhaps they should invite him for a goblet of wine sometime? Questions, questions.

Willow - Welcome to the RPG. It will be interesting to see how the Nazgul deal with an elf.

BB - I really like your portrayal of Bumbledore. A very unique character. He reminds me of some Charles Dickens character.

Gordis - Always a great post from you. You have set the mood for the reception.

The plot is getting really interesting. I am enjoying this RPG very much.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #224
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Interesting was rather the point. I added a link to a drawing of Mahtaliel in the bio on the info. thread. Pictures of characters are happy things to have.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #225
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Lotesse, I guess there isnt much to do about it now, but just a hint. As much as he likes Viv, he is a kings man and extremely loyal. Regardless of what you (viv) wanted, he'd take the orc to the guard house, If you didnt want to come, he'd set you on Volricom and let you go home....

Just a thought....
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:31 AM   #226
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Then please! by all means, write that - whatever you feel Ray would do, have him do, and whatever Viv would do, she'll do. I can change the last few sentences in my post, if you'd like, or just erase what I had Ray say, so you can write what you want him to say. Either way, I wanted Viv to give Grisznutz an opportunity to get his ass out of Tharbad on his own, having been duly warned by her, rather than let him become killed by the Tharbad police, which wouldn't they kill him, his being a half-Orc and all? Viv would feel bad if he got killed, but then it's not as if he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing in the first place. Grisznutz IS kind of dumb.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:33 AM   #227
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

But, see, I also want to spend the time with Viv, so, um...hang on, I'll frog march him to the guard house and drop him off, then come back. It shouldnt take to long. Also, Ray is going to give Viv his prize filly...seeing as she doesnt have a horse. They wouldnt kill him, I'll post to make him drunk, so they'll let him escape.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:37 AM   #228
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

AH! excellent idea. OOOoooo, Viv gets a horse??? That is very, very exciting news indeed! I have to go to bed here in a sec, boy I can't wait to see what you're gonna do.
(edit to add) So, I erased the last paragraph; now they're all headed together to the guard post to report Grisznutz. I left him alone there on the riverbank. However you need me to shuffle it, to make your Ray post work, just let me know, O.K.?

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-09-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 AM   #229
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
But I personally like the addition of a female teacher at the University, and she's teaching jewelry-making, too! Viv will be in her class
Keep a sharp eye on your jewelry supplies, Willow!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #230
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Rian, I loved your post, getting ready 4 the reception, rpg-Rian & rpg-Earniel are SO girly, it's sweet.
girly-yes; "frisky"-no!
I wanted to get across kind of a sense of vulnerable-ness as they both start to bring up things from a very fearful and sorrowful past, and start to try to integrate their life in Gondolin into their present lives, if that makes sense. I wrote it so they've both been not dealing with things, and are just now starting to open up and look at them and work them out, as opposed to hiding them away. Let me know if you want to change that, Earniel

Quote:
But I fear the mirror would have to go, unless - have you already changed that? Lilly will hit the ROOF if she finds mirrors in Orrodel!
The mirror is gone, Lady Viv

Quote:
anyway, gotta go pack some more. *groan, groan*
Poor you! *serves Lotesse some comfort tea*

Tolkien reference question - any problem with the animals, like the horses, liking the Nazgul, like what just happened with the filly and Viv? Tolkien's idea is that animals don't like them, and have to be born and bred to it, but maybe we can say that developed later on in 3rd age...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 10-09-2005 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:05 AM   #231
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
girly-yes; "frisky"-no!
I wanted to get across kind of a sense of vulnerable-ness as they both start to bring up things from a very fearful and sorrowful past, and start to try to integrate their life in Gondolin into their present lives, if that makes sense. I wrote it so they've both been not dealing with things, and are just now starting to open up and look at them and work them out, as opposed to hiding them away. Let me know if you want to change that, Earniel
The way I see rpg-Eärniel is a tad different. Since this RPG's focus shifted from humorous to serious, I wanted to write rpg-Eärniel like Tolkien's Elves who can be serious but frivolous the very next second and then back again. Think of a mix between the Rivendell Elves in the Hobbit and the Elves in the Silmarillion.

rpg-Eärniel is a bit on the girly side right now because it's been since childhood that she has seen rpg-RÃ*an and perhaps she unconsciously re-acts her behaviour from then. And she is very happy at the moment to have found her friend again, which also plays a part.

The way I see it, rpg-Eärniel has been through some very dark moments in the previous aera's but she has come out alive. Whatever wounds she took, are healed by now. She has dealt with the past and she now only wants peace and happiness for her and the Reed-Elves whom, you'd could say, she has taken under her wing. But she has recently realised she can't shut herself in Nîn-In-Eilph indefinitely or she'll lose touch with the rest the world. And she needs to know how the world of Men moves and works if she is to sustain Nîn-In-Eilph's time-bubble. She's still in her prime and she is not fading just yet. There is still much to do and see outside of the marches. Much to learn, even for an Elf.

But she has come out quite suddenly and she will need time to adjust to the quicker, brighter but shorter-lived life of humans. If there is anything she needs to deal with it is being around Men again after such a long time of Elven company. She has forgotten much of how it was like and her memories of previous ages do not entirely correspond with the Third-aera reality.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #232
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Tolkien reference question - any problem with the animals, like the horses, liking the Nazgul, like what just happened with the filly and Viv? Tolkien's idea is that animals don't like them, and have to be born and bred to it, but maybe we can say that developed later on in 3rd age...

...now there's a question .... there's a whole thread about it!

i would suggest, to keep it short, that since Sauron lost the ring and the nazgul can now appear fair and visible again it is equally assumable that they can appear fair to animals. Animals i guess would be much more sensitive to the strangness of them, but not to the previous levels.

If not, we would have to back-write an awful lot, and they just would not be able to be in tharbad at all realistically.... what with all the horses, dogs etc etc.

it is possible from memory, our resident 'quiet-one' may have a word or two on this one!

EDIT: Blimey, SHAH! you're ... (does good valandil impression) ...you're a Girl? .... well, funny how you get to think about someone on here: i thought you were a bloke ... a jockey (which i guess you are of course) ... that was a bit of a jack-the lad character!

Ha! Funny old world ain't it?

(very nice picture by the way)

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-09-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #233
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The HORSES.
BB
I agree with your idea about horses. Yes, we can assume, that wielding the nazgul ring, a ringwraith can fool animals. I am not sure if it is true to CANON, but we can agree on that for the RPG. Let us suppose that loosing their Rings to Sauron in TA 2951, left them without means to turn visible and to counter entirely the feelings of dread and unease in 2-4 legged mortals around them.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #234
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Gordis, Lotesse, et al: Perhaps reasonable about the animals, but should there be some limits on it? Perhaps it takes a little bit of concentration on their parts, and a portion of their minds to be devoted to that at any given time - and even then might be difficult if, say, surrounded by animals that might be alarmed at their presence.

Let's don't get to thinking these are 'nice guys/gals'... they ARE undead, right?

ALL - OK - I finally got my post #217 filled in at the game thread. I'll attempt to post one more pre-reception post now. Not sure I'll have time for it though.

Half-orc? I thought those were a new thing 3000 years later??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #235
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

just read the rpg ..we have a small continuity error:

Willow: the arch-chancellor has been here for 2 to 3 years, so you would have met him more than once… if only at these annual receptions ….

i think it good however that both you, Aiwendis and the Arch-chancellor prefer not to mingle too much .... but once in 3 years is pushing it a bit!

I am looking forward to your character's adding some conflict and steel to the other side: also love the description of her... a staring match! Is that with khamul? wonderful.

Gor: Bumbledore is still on his way to the reception …about to race a champion tortoise… Vammooz the champion tortoise of tharbad .... the tortoises's have been using old Bumbledore as a yard stick for many years ... and the annual recpetion is the Big race of the new season.

This is when Bumble is usually at his creaky fastest... as he enjoys the receptions and always gets completely blotto ... a fun and eagerly anticipated side-show of the receptions year on year... no one ever seems to mind, it's a university tradition virtually by now ...since bumble has been here longer than even old old greenfingers the groundsman.

also, aiwendis's thoughts on his apparel are fine of course ... i liked them ..though maybe she IS kinda used to him by now: he often is seen in the uni in his robe-like dressing gown .... and she knows what he is like ... still, she would raise an eyebrow at this event for sure!

UDU: ditto ref sir Bumbledore: though i will look forward to chatting once he has arrived...

willow,Gor, Udu:
maybe these observations and conversations can just easily be copied and pasted into a post after his arrival?

cheers.

EDIT** EDIT** EDIT**

have started his (bumble's) arrival and placed a temporary placeholder so that he is technically now arrived thus that does not delay anyone else or cause any continuity problems.

cheers all
BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-09-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #236
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

particulary like post # 217 Valandil and mr O's development...
Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #237
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Shah, I loved your post, Viv LOVES her beautiful gift of the horse! I really enjoyed how you did the part where Ray tells the guard who he really is, and the guard settles back in respect - that was cool. It looks like King Valandil wants Ray at the reception, now, though - nobody was ever clear with us as to whether or not Ray & Marty were going to be invited to the thing; well, it would appear so, so I suppose I'll write something in 4 you, so you can go to the reception - would you like that, Shah?

Old 10-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #238
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Butterbeer, I LOVED that last post of yours!! That was hilarious, I can just imagine the funny tortoise, and their POV like that, seeing everything go fast-forward when we see normal speed - that was super-funny, I really enjoyed that one a lot! Maybe Lomi was there, too, who-who knows. I mean, Viv doesn't need her right now; if Lomi had heard about such an exciting event you can bet she'd want to be there!

Shah & Valandil, I left Ray to go to the reception; will that do? Is that what you need?

Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #239
Rían

Sounds OK about the animals and the Nazgul

Earniel - OK with me; let me know if I need to change anything in my post to fit your description.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #240
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
Hi Lotesse!
Welcome back!
What do you think of my GoP list?

I'll have to find a way integrating The Guild of Predator Characters in the RPG and that won't be easy.

Anyone around who wants to adopt a character as a companion?
Oh, I'm SO bad; I'm supposed to be out buying boxes right now & cleaning this house & doing moving-laundry - erk! But it just occured to me, Grey Wolf, that your acronym for the Guild of Predators is the same as for the Grand Old Party - the Republican Party here in the U.S.!! That's cute; Republican animals, and some of them allied with the Axis!

Thanx, Rian. Yeah, I figure we have SO many animals, and Viv is one of those characters I kinda fashion after myself a little bit, and me - I LOVE all the animals, and animals love me too, so I just couldn't BEAR not being able to have the animals in our RPG not like me. I want to be surrounded by animals, like Snow White!! For real.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-09-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Closed Thread