Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #221
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I'm reading Foucaults Pendulum. In Norwegian, I tried in english, but that was a bit to hard. Really like the book, but it's strange. Maybe the hardest read I've ever done. And I don't remember more than half, about all the diabolic writers and stuff like that. But it's really genius
Old 04-05-2005, 04:20 AM   #222
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider8
Lotr Return Of The King

I Am Mordred

The Creature In The Case
i finished The Lord Of The Rings The Return Of The King yesterday
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
Old 04-05-2005, 04:37 AM   #223
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
That's okay though, as long as the book isn't too old school. There has to be something that a 21st century woman can relate somehow to this 19th century boy. I skimmed a bit and read part where Tom describes Arthur's (his buddy) mother.... yeah. If he expresses this attitude for the whole book I'm going to look elsewhere for reading material. (I don't care if he has this attitude, as long as I don't have to read about how beautiful and perfect Arthur's mom is with masses of golden curls sweeping back from a broad white forhead and wondering if Arthur's sisters are like that blah blah BLAH for the whole book.) (edit: or at least everytime he meets a girl. Which I suspect is not very often..?)

I'd rather read about him playing cricket and getting stuffed head-first into trash cans and whatnot. (I won't judge the book by that one part though.)

Anyway, your comments are appreciated!
It's pretty old school I think that's a good way to describe it. I personally didn't find it very interesting, and I've read a lot of preachy school stories. Normally my tolerance for Victorian sentimentality is pretty high, but Tom Brown's School Days was just too much. All the characters are flat and one-dimensional and the moral messages couldn't be battered into the reader's head more bluntly. Can't remember there being much rugby or cricket or anything, you know, exciting... As for the attitude to women, there aren't that many girls in it, but Arthur acts like an idealised girl most of the time anyway. Then in true Victorian style he gets really ill and reveals how perfect and angelic he is

It's fun if you read it ironically, or as a historical piece, but don't expect to actually relate to any of the characters

/sun-star

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #224
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe I'll read it ironically some time. Darn, I was hoping Thomas Hughes would be like the Roald Dahl of Victorian times, but I guess not eh?

(Is the main character a Gary Stu... you know... a male self-insert character or the embodiment of what the author views as the ideal pesron?)
EDIT: Because the main character and the author have the same first name.

What I really want now is a new and excellent Arthurian legend. I've read all different kinds of Arthurian legends, from literary epic to cheap crap, and with all manner of plot lines and characters.
My favourites are ones where Arthur becomes king (at any point in the book), Kay and Gawain are respected, and the Lancelot-Guenevere thing is not the central plotline. (I really hate that plot line but it can be tolerable, even good, in the hands of a good writer.)

Is "I am Mordred" by Nancy Springer good Strider8? That has been on my 'to read' list for a while now. Maybe I'll go to the library before Swedish class today.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-05-2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #225
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Read Harry Potter books 3-5 over the last 2 weeks, and am in the middle of the Iliad. Go Hektor! (I like how he complains that his wife takes care of the horses before taking care of him ) Suck it up, Achilleus! Take a hike, Paris, you twit!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #226
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider8
Lotr Return Of The King

I Am Mordred

The Creature In The Case
Quote:
i have finished Lotr
i have now finished I am Mordred and have now started the Silmarillion
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #227
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Currently reading an anthology of French poetry. Great stuff!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #228
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, just finished Princess Bride - or at least the story part of it (I skimmed thru the "notes") - hilarious! But what in the world happens at the end? (I got the 30th edition) What's with this faceless guy and falling off the cliff and a c-section?!?!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-12-2005, 03:19 AM   #229
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

I am currently reading nothing... looking for suggestions I just finished Revenge of the Sith, I like books like... Beowulf, Di Vinci Code, Lord of the Rings(duh), books by Alex Garland, works by Edger Alan Poe, Dean R. Koontz, most "Classic" litterature like Catcher and the Rye, and James Joyce... So anyone got any good books they read lately that might be interesting!?

I was thinking of buying Memoirs of a Geisha, the Book of Genji, or House of Leaves. Anyone know anything good about these?

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #230
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

If you liked the Da Vinci Code, I suggest reading Umberto Eco
Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #231
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well I finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It's seriously one of the best books I have ever read. Ever. I recommend it to all.

It was moving and sad, and also beautiful and hopeful. It also had some awesome laugh-out-loud moments.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #232
Pytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
If you liked the Da Vinci Code, I suggest reading Umberto Eco
Definetley second that. Great books, some of the best I've read
Old 04-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #233
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Indeed, though he can be a bit hard to get into.

Currently reading The Saga of Harald Hårfagres and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, and just borrowed Crossroads of Twillight, the first book in Brook's Shannara-series, Asimov's Foundation and a few short-stories.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #234
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
I've been reading some Clancy, but I'm basically re-reading the entire Dune series by Frank Herbert... that should occupy me for what? Like a couple months or so...
Old 04-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #235
Mercutio

The Plague by Alexander Camus. Don't anyone mention dead rats to me...

In Lit class we finished "The Taming of the Shrew" (Shakespeare) and are moving on to "Much Ado About Nothing" (mainly because we are going to see a Shakespeare production and our teacher's going to briefly introduce us to it first).

Then we read Tess of the D'Urbevilles by Thomas Hardy.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #236
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i am currently reading, by douglas adams

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - A Trilogy in Four Parts
Old 04-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #237
inked
Elf Lord

Mercutio,

You might want to find a copy of PLAGUE by Edward Marriott (originally titled THE PLAGUE RACE in the UK by Picador UK 2002) to read alongside Camus. I promise it will keep you awake long after the lights are out!!!

and just think of all those lovely terroristic applications of bioweapons technology of the Cold War era.........
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 04-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #238
Rían

Oh, Tess is good - you just want to scream at some of the characters sometimes, tho!

Finished 2 small books by an author I've wanted to read for awhile, Fredrich Buechner - Telling Secrets, and The Magnificent Defeat. He has an interesting definition of the Christian meaning of faith - "Faith is the word that describes the direction our feet start moving when we find that we are loved."

Still working thru the Iliad - great book! King Lear is next.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #239
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Finished Life of Pi yesterday. Brilliant book! Could've sworn there was a thread for it somewhere...:/
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #240
Pytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i am currently reading, by douglas adams

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - A Trilogy in Four Parts
It's five isn't it? At least it is in my book.
Guide to the Galaxy
Resturant at the end of Universe
Life, universe and everything
so long and thanks for the fish
mostly harmless