Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2002, 05:40 PM   #201
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Nazgul The Attack

The elves in the company had long sensed the darkness and impending danger, but this was to be expected in a this, darkest of all places that existed in the world. But the fact that they were surprised by the ambush showed something else: careful planning on the part of the attackers.

The orcs had already long existed in the dark holds of Angband, stumbling through the murk and living and breeding in the foul darkness. But they screamed and scattered in surprise at the explosion that sounded. The screams Cheyanne had heard were orcs, fleeing in terror.

Texol snatched the small book from Christa's hand, and a moment later, the world seemed to tear open. A spirit of black terror struck all of them at once, a hidden shadow which had suddenly thrown aside its covering. It was silent; not a sound was heard when it came, yet all of them staggered to their knees as it struck them.

Then the books were torn from their shelves and the Archive was torn open. Thousands of pounds of stone and timber smashed to the earth as the wall and door through which they'd come exploded inward. Darkness and shadow stretched out in an attack. Flame and blackness obscured all vision; none could distinguish anything and they were all thrown back, battered to the opposite wall by torrents of writhing and tearing wind.

Cúrion's hand finally found Narmacil's hilt, and the elves recovered sufficiently at last to raise their bows. Texol raised his staff and a small beam of pitiful white light struck at the lurid flames and sucking, evil darkness. The enemy dashed through it, batting aside the Istari Light, and were in.

There were three of attackers, all Balrogs, all wreathed in blazing energy. The monstrous swords of fire came down . . .

The battle took all of five seconds, and then it was over. What had been the Archive was completely destroyed, charred black.

Arat-Falathion opened his eyes slowly, and thought he heard someone weeping. It was one of the hobbits; apparently someone other than himself had also survived the attack. Slowly he got to his feet, looking around quietly. All was silent, but for the hobbit's crying.

Texol was getting up from the ground and dusting himself off. Theneal was standing stock still, twelve yards away. Half of his bow had been burned away and his left arm appeared badly scorched; his eyes were looking out in the direction from which the Balrogs had come and his face was white. The others were also slowly gathering from other parts of the Archive; incredibly, it looked as if no one had been badly hurt.

It was then that he noticed one person who was not getting up. The elf lay crumpled on the floor beside a smashed piece of stone. Arat-Cúrion's body was broken and there was a thin line of blood flowing down from his lip; his eyes were open and staring into his own.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 08-29-2002 at 05:46 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:27 PM   #202
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Christiana,panting,got up,or tried to.she found it diffucult,as she was buried under rocks.Im just glad that the balrogs didnt stayed to take captives. they just might still be mad at her 4 slaying one in Gondolin.she heard Cheyanne digging to get her,and started to push the rubble aside.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:34 AM   #203
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

OOC: Sorry for my time away from this board... moved to a new school...

BIC:

Falathion´s eyes flushed in tears as he ran over to Cúrion. "Father!" he whispered as he shoock the body. "Father?"
Slowly Cúrion opened his eyes and looked up at Falathion. "Agh..." Cúrion gripped around Falathions forearm. "They took my... agh... my... ... my sword..." Cúrions eyes was fading. "Don´t you give up father!" Cúrion tried to make a smile. "My time is over, son... now you need to return my sword! You know what it shall mean for the outcome of this war! Agh..." Cúrion summoned his last breath. "Promise me!" "I promise, father. I shall return your sword... even if it shall take my life!" Falathion waited, waited for an answer, but it didn´t come... and a tear fell from Falathions eye...

Texol came over and lay a hand on Falathions shoulder. "I am sorry, but your father was a brave man, dearing to carry that sword. And yet this fill my heart with greater trouble, knowing that this sword was indeed what the enemy came for, and indeed they now have it in their coustity. If we only knew the true story behind this sword... We can not continue untill we have more answers, and yet we don´t have time. All I can see is that we must handle fast and then get the sword back..."

Texol sat down on some crushed timber and opened the large book...

------------------------
- Falathion
Old 09-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #204
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Numenor was trying to comfort Rosalina. The attack had taken a toll on the girl's nerves. But all in all Numenor was glad that she was alive and apparanty unscathed. Although he could not be entirely sure until he had asked, but he first had to calm her. Numenor himself had survived too and that had been a pleasant surprise. His foot still ached from where a falling part of debris had hit him but he wasn't complaining.

A pile of rubble moved right next to him, his hand lay already on the hilt of Ilmenang when he recognised Magnanamous. "Maggie!" he said releaved. The other hobbit wriggled from under the debris and shook the dust from his hair. "What on Middle-earth were those things?" "Those were Balrogs." answered Theneal him. "Balrogs? Like the one from Moria in the old story? I thought those were rare!" "Then their presence here proves the urgency of our quest."

Numenor whistled softly. "Than we can be glad that all of us got out of the fight alive." "Not all of us." said Theneal sadly as he looked where Arat-Falathion stood next to the silent body of his father. In shocked silence the hobbits looked at the dead elf. "Is he... d-dead?" asked Rosalina softly. No one felt like stating the obvious. Rosalina bit her lip and grabbed Magnanamous' arm for support. The other hobbit winced as she touched the burnt skin of his arm. Rosalina's eyes opened wide. "You're hurt!" she exclaimed. "It's not that bad, Rosie. It's nothing." tried Magnanaous to reassure her. "None of that!" said Rosalina firmly. She stood up and looked around for her bag which she found a few feet away under the remains of a bookcase. She sniffed and wiped the tears from her eyes as she rummaged through the pack. "Now shut up and sit still." Magnanamous knew that protest would be in vain so he let her tend to his wounds. After him Rosalina tended to the others as well as she was able.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:07 PM   #205
Christiana
Elf Lord

Christiana looked at Arat-Curion's body."he was a casualty of war.It happens."her voice was cold and unfeeling.The other members looked at her in astomishment,sondering at her hard words.Arat-Falithion glared at her.
Christa turned away.they didnt know what she was remembering.they didnt know that,far off,she was seeing a white tower falling,a figure on its top.A voice echoed in her mind:
"Great,is the fall of Gondolin."
The flashback shifted,and she saw from afar a green hill amidst a brown waistland,where an Elven-King's trampled body lay with many others, renowend or namless,their swords crumbling into dust.Then,far off on a plain, a figure on horseback, with a shineing shield,galloping to ominous dark mountains in the distance.After,a figure falling on the slopes of Mt.Doom. And lastly,a grey ship sailing into the distance.

But they didnt know what she was seeing.They just thought she was heartless.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Old 09-25-2002, 05:15 AM   #206
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Texol opened the dented book carefully and puffed away the dust with a carefull breath. "The writings here is pretty dented. It is hard to get out any meaning of this. It must be really old." He started to read the pages silently to himself. "Hmm..." he hummed. "This seems to be a typing of Melkors early stage. Probably righ before he became Morgoth. It is written in a language known only to those who comes from the west and remembers the eldest of eldest." He turned the first page and read on. "My host is increesing... 'then there is something that I do not understand,' ...MorcÃ*s... ...darkening... 'hmm... Then it probably says:' This Maia is now under my power and shall obay me and be my spy. 'Then comes a part that is totaly dented here...'," Texol examined the paper and tried to get a meaning out of it. He turned the page and hummed. "'There is the last page, and only some fast shribbling is left here.' MorcÃ*s has vanished... 'then comes a part I can not understand and then:' TRAITOR!" Hmm... this won´t be enough... I wonder who this MorcÃ*s is. A Maia it sais, spy, traitor, darkening..." Texol sat in deep thought for a moment, then suddenly he closed the book and threw it to the floor.

"There must be something else here. Look for a book or a scroll maybe. It should probably be different from the others. Small would be my guess!"

A knock came to Numenor and he got the grey book from under his sweater. "Something like this?" Texol looked at the hobbit. "Yes, just something like that!"

Sitting down again Texol opened the book. Texol hummed. "This must be inc of a very rare sort. It hasn´t dented a day..." A smile came to Texols face. "This is written by MorcÃ*s himself, a dictionary of some sort... 'Melkor has now taken me as his nearest counsler and was eager in my new plan. Little he knows of all my planning behind this. I have learned to breath orcs, dragons, balrogs and what not, but I shall now return to the west and siece what shall become the ultimate weapon of power, and so I shall crush anyone who shall stand in my way, for I share no power, I obey no power, I am the one power who shall control everything!" Texol paused, looking at the others as he whispered the last sentance. The hobbits were klinging to one another, and the rest was just standing there, not moving a limb. Texol turned the page. "Here the language has changed into a darker tongue, similar to what once was written into the ring of power. 'Soon I shall now be the ruler of all. I have created what shall lead me to victory, it is precious and above all beautiful. I call it I Nârmacil, the flame sword. I have made all the Valar believe this one sword is the only way to stop Morgoth and his evil deeds. I reminded them about what happened when they took action within their own hands. These pathetic Valar care too much about their pathetic creations. That shall become their doom..." Texol paused once again. "My fathers sword!" Falathion bursted out. Texol nodded. "Wait, there is more..." Texol turned the page.

"'Every Valar has now put some of their power in the sword and I sence no suspicion among them. This sword is now one with my heart and shall obey all my orders. Still I can not find a way to turn it all mine, as its powers haven't come from me alone, and so all who wield it, shall be able to use its powers to a sertain degree, and so I shall protect it even more and hide it from every eye upon earth and beyond. I shall now return to the east and claim power!" Texol turned the page, noticing how everyone was paralised by the words he spoke. "This is the last page, and the writing is getting more and more shribbling. 'The bright read shimmer of the swords blade is fainting. It seems that once Im close to whom I hate it obeyes my hate, and glimmers.' There is a pause, and suddenly the shribbling gets almost unreadable. '...turbulent sea... ...red glimmer... ...Ulmo...' Then there is some cursing and thats it." Texol closed the book and did not speak, but sat in deep thought...
-------------------------------------------
- Falathion

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 09-26-2002 at 05:12 AM.
Arat-Falathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:21 PM   #207
Earniel

OOC: great post, Arat-Falathion!

The hobbits remained huddled together even after the wizard had stopped reading. The ancient text had made a deep impression on them. Numenor was uncomfortably reminded of the dark voice they had heard on the celebration in Hobbiton what seemed like ages ago. He wondered what the connection was. He felt a little lightheaded. Rosalina was still holding his arm in a very firm grip, Numenor was slightly surprised at the might the hobbit lass had.

Magnanamous scratched his head thoughtfully. "Wow" he said at last "That was.... scary. Does this... this mean we're up against a another maia?" As every one was still too busy digesting all the information, no one answered him but the hobbit went on. "But why now? I mean that diary looks really old, why didn't he make a move earlier?"

"Ulmo, that's the Lord of Waters and Seas, isn't it?" Numenor said slowly, lost in thought. And ... " Numenor hestitated a moment before speaking the name of their deceased companion "Arat-Cúrion found the sword at sea.... maybe... Rosalina, please let go of my arm, will you? You're cutting off my bloodflow." Rosalina quickly complied and Numenor continued as he rubbed some blood back into his arm. "Maybe Ulmo guessed what this... MorcÃ*s was up to and tried to take the sword from him."

Magnanamous looked in the direction the balrogs had disappeared with Nârmacil. "Does that mean he's got it back now?" He shuddered unvoluntarily. "Oh, shoot."

Last edited by Earniel : 09-26-2002 at 05:24 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:20 AM   #208
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

OOC: Thanks Eärniel... I miss-spelled though... It was ment for MorcÃ*s to be a maia... it is fixed now... The reason for this is simply that the story of the Valar is pretty detailed in Tolkiens writings, and therefor we know of all the Valar in the world of Arda... But the Maiar are a little less known of... and so it would be more rightly to have a Maia being MorcÃ*s...

Ah well, anyway, the action is building up now towards a final end!

- Falathion
Old 09-26-2002, 05:20 AM   #209
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

3pl post! Jeeze!

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 09-26-2002 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:20 AM   #210
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Yes, yes! I did it

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 09-26-2002 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:25 AM   #211
Earniel

OOC: okay, I've edited my post too.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:49 PM   #212
Christiana
Elf Lord

"what should we do now?"Christa asked.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:29 AM   #213
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

OOC: "CLAP" for shortest post of this thread It is great to see that you still are in, even if the posting is far less frequent from my side then it should be!

BIC: Texol didn't seem to take any notice of Christianas words, nor any others. He sat in deep thought.

Suddenly he stood up and said: "We must get the sword back, or we are all doomed!"
Leading they way, they sprang out the door and headed for the first stairs.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #214
Christiana
Elf Lord

Cheyanne looked at Christiana. What the heck?
Wizards.she replied,shaking her head.she turned and followed Texol,muttering,"I wish Mithrandir were here!"Cheyanne sighed in agreement,and followed.

Old 09-28-2002, 03:44 AM   #215
Earniel

Rosalina stopped at the door and turned. "Wait!" she called. The others stopped and looked at her. "Arat-Cúrion..." she said as she pointed back to the ruined library, "we can't leave him here, in this dark place, like that. Shouldn't we at least bury him? I think we owe him that."
Old 09-28-2002, 05:14 PM   #216
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

*Who are all the members of this company? I don't remember them all; so many of them have sort of dropped out of common use.*

Falathion nodded. "Regaining the sword is on my heart, but we are not like the enemy who leave their comrades where they fall."

"Forgive me, Falathion," Texol said quietly. "I spoke too fast. We'll take your father with us out of this fearful place, and bury him on the seashore."

All the rest of them agreed, and reaching down both hands, Theneal helped Falathion pick the slain warrior up. They lifted him, and bore him away down the passage.

At the seashore, they buried Cúrion, with his face pointing out to see, toward the Blessed Realms which never more would he see again in the light of the sun.

"He is gone to the house of Mandos," Texol said quietly. "He is at peace."

They blessed Cúrion before lowering him into the earth, and then held a minute of silence about his resting place, in respect.

Then, after eating a brief meal, the group began their march again. Texol lead, but among the company there was an air of gloom. One of their number was dead, and their quest now led into peril. They were pursuing Balrogs, creatures that they could hardly hope to defeat, even if they did catch up with them. But their leaders were grim faced and determined, and the company pressed on.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-28-2002 at 05:18 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:09 AM   #217
Earniel

OOC: Hello? anybody? *hollow echo*

By nightfall they were forced to stop and make camp. Although the elves would have gladly marched on, their mortal companions were near exhaustion. A small fire was built and food was prepared. Little was said during dinner but it was not difficult to see what was on their minds. They had not caught up with the balrogs during the day but they were still close on their tracks.

Numenor chewed thoughtfully. The combined force of the events of this day was nearly enough to ruin his appetite, which was a dreadful thing to happen to a hobbit. To think I was in the Shire not so long ago, he mused. It felt like another life. He wasn't anymore the hobbit he had been. He didn't really know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. Well, he had asked for an adventure and he had gotten it. Numenor gazed at his silent companions around the fire. At least he was glad that he wasn't alone on it.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #218
Christiana
Elf Lord

Christa went up to Texol,and asked"shouldnt we leave a message here,in case Mithrandir comes?"

Old 10-28-2002, 11:50 AM   #219
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

OOC: Sorry for my inactivity folks... at school I really dont have much time writing on this, but now I am on 1 week vacation, so hopefully I'll get to update every day!

BIC:
"Mithrandir is in Gondor now, I don't see why he should come our way." Texol sighed. "Even if he advances towards Rivendell, and so hears of our journey, I can not see how he would reach us in time, or why he would take this road... but I shall leave my mark anyway, cause things happens to accure by accident, although we can not count on it!"

Texol took up a stone, a little larger than his hand in size and uttered words in a language unknown to all the others. Then, with his finger, he wrote a T-rune into the stone, leaving a dark green inscription on the stone. Then he placed it on top of a larger stone right by.

"Where is Falathion?" Theneal suddenly said. "Wasn't he just here?" Texol examined the surroundings. "No, when I think of it, I can not remember seeing him since we left the his fathers grave!" Christiana sighed "We must go and find him then! Noone should walk alone during these times, least of all near places like this!" "You are absolutely right! Gather your things, we must find Falathion!" Texol ordered.

But in the same moment as he had choked the last word silent, the ground started to shiver, as if the feet of many heavy creatures was at hand. Screaming and cursing, snearling and spitting. Suddenly they saw orcs advancing at the northern grassbank below them, running with their Scimmitars high. They were many, maybe too many. An everflowing stream of orcs filled the vally down under and suddenly they were upon them...

Texol jumped up on the stone, where he had placed his mark and uttered powerful words of magic. Orcs around him fell by his magical spells. The hobbits turned the back to each other and drew their swords, protecting themselves as well as they could. Christiana and Theneal did likewise, assisted by Christianas wolf. The attack had come like a gigantic wave of water, falling over them with great force!

Arrows sang through the air, hitting orcs and the ground around them. Only luck kept them from being hit. "We can not hold out much longer!" Theneal yelled. "Keep on fighting!" Texol yelled back, "there is no room for escape! Only victory or defeat!"

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 10-29-2002 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:11 PM   #220
Christiana
Elf Lord

Christiana whiled, slashed, and spun, engaged in a deadly dance of survival. her sword,Shimmersing, flashed as it swept two orcs' heads off their shoulders. Cheyanne snarled and snapped, latching onto an enemy's throat. Theneal slashed down another.The battle continued.