Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #201
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

For information about Wheel of Time go to wotmainia.com or there is another site that is rather good. It might be dragonmount.com, but I'm not sure.

Mat doesn't exactley become more mature. He just doesn't have much of a chance to have his fun. But he still complains about it.

The books are moving a little slow at the moment, but I think the purpose of Book 10 was to set things up for Book 11, which, unless the series is going to have 20 books, should be quite eventful.

Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:03 AM   #202
elendili
Elven Warrior

I though book 10 left a lot of loose ends that will take ages to be explained

Is it just me or is the WOT set after present day coz they talk about helicopters and lifts (elevators)?

Perrin irritates me esp. since Faile got kidnaped she was the only interesting part of his scenes esp. when shes argueing with Berelain

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:29 PM   #203
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

i've started to read it but i've been busy so i haven't got very far. also i read about five books at one time so it takes me a while
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:09 PM   #204
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I really don't know how everything is going to be wrapped up in two books, as they are supposed to be. There are SO many plot lines all going on at once, it would seem at least four or so books would be needed.

I really don't know when Wheel of Time is set. I always thought it was a little before our time (they talk about people inventing the car at Rand's university in Cairhien) but in a parallel world like the one Hurin, Rand, Loial, and "Selene" were in in The Great Hunt.

Both Perrin and Rand have annoyed me recently too. I never particularly like Faile, but I wanted her back so Perrin will FINALLY stop complaining.

Wayfarer, why did you hate everything besides Mat and Perrin?

Rosie
Old 02-09-2003, 12:40 PM   #205
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by elendili
Is it just me or is the WOT set after present day coz they talk about helicopters and lifts (elevators)?
i think it does because in the eye of the world the foreward it talks about stuff that really seemed modern age, but i think somebody really messed the world over and everything got restarted around 500 ad? correct me if u think im wrong!

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar : 02-09-2003 at 12:43 PM.
ArwenEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #206
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Thats a good point, perhaps the Wheel of Time is the distant future. I never thought about it that way. It's sort of interesting to think about. Maybe I can become a Hero of the Horn somehow and come back then to help out Mat, Perrin, Rand and the rest.

Rosie
Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 AM   #207
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I'm bringing this thread back!

Do you think Moiraine will ever come back? I think that will be a big part of Book 11, because in an earlier Book, Min says it was her onnly vision that has ever been wrong. Then, when Mat plays Snakes and Foxes with Olver (the Snakes and the Foxes are the people in the Aelfinn and Eelfinn) he says:
Quote:
Courage to Strengthen,
Fire to blind,
Music to dazzle,
Iron to bind.
I think that means Mat (fire:fireworks), Thom (music:gleeman), Perrin (iron:blacksmith) and almost any other character for courage will go to rescue her. Also, no iron, fire, or music is allowed to be taken into either land, and we saw when Mat entered both doorways in The Stone of Tear and Rhuidean.

What do you think?

Rosie
Old 02-28-2003, 04:24 AM   #208
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Ugh, these books suck. Why did I read this thread?

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:04 AM   #209
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Ugh, these books suck. Why did I read this thread?
How childish or was there a real reason that you said that except to irritate WOT fans? Dumbass

What's your fav. book?? I like The Dragon Reborn and The Lord of Chaos

When do you think they're going to kill off another Forsaken off?? Although you don't actually know the death toll from Winter's heart. Who do u think got killed??

Who are Oran'gar and Asan'gar?? This is really irritating me but i think they could be Balthamel and Aginor??

I hope they bring Moirianne back she was a good source of sarcastic remarks like Cadsuane

Andrew Marvell
Old 02-28-2003, 08:46 AM   #210
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

When is the next book coming out?

About the time problem:

In The Wheel of Time, time is, well, a wheel. The Ages come and go, around and around and around and around . . . So it takes place in both the future and the past, so to speak.

If you pay very close attention, you can find references to modern-day occurrences. For example:

The Eye of the World - check out what Thom says when he first appears in the Two Rivers. Remember how he jumps up on a rock and starts juggling? Read what he says! He's talking about telling ancient stories from before the Age of Legends. Examples of these stories are that of Terez (or something like that) the fabulous mother of Ind, some guy with a name like Lenn going to the moon on an eagle, and some other things I forgot. Compare these two examples to the following: Mother Teresa of India, John Glenn going to the moon in the Eagle . Thom is talking about things from our time!

So I think WOT takes place two "ages" in the future. After our time comes the Age of Legends, when magic and technology are both at their height, then WOT. Things just go in circles with slight differences.

I wonder how many ages there are?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:09 AM   #211
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Quote:
How childish or was there a real reason that you said that except to irritate WOT fans? Dumbass
I love getting flamed! I said it to irritate WOT fans, naturally. Enjoy!

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #212
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

im only on From the Two Rivers, and im getting To The Blight. How many books is there actually?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:38 AM   #213
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
im only on From the Two Rivers, and im getting To The Blight. How many books is there actually?
So far, nine.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:30 AM   #214
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
When is the next book coming out?

About the time problem:

In The Wheel of Time, time is, well, a wheel. The Ages come and go, around and around and around and around . . . So it takes place in both the future and the past, so to speak.

If you pay very close attention, you can find references to modern-day occurrences. For example:

The Eye of the World - check out what Thom says when he first appears in the Two Rivers. Remember how he jumps up on a rock and starts juggling? Read what he says! He's talking about telling ancient stories from before the Age of Legends. Examples of these stories are that of Terez (or something like that) the fabulous mother of Ind, some guy with a name like Lenn going to the moon on an eagle, and some other things I forgot. Compare these two examples to the following: Mother Teresa of India, John Glenn going to the moon in the Eagle . Thom is talking about things from our time!

So I think WOT takes place two "ages" in the future. After our time comes the Age of Legends, when magic and technology are both at their height, then WOT. Things just go in circles with slight differences.

I wonder how many ages there are?
Wow, I never noticed that. I did notice that at one point that at Rand's University in Cairhien they are planning automobiles and hot air balloons. And Mat's probably going to invent gunpowder soon. That would make you think it is all in the past, but then with what you said, FrodoFriend, you must be right. Past and Present!

Elendili, I think my favorite books are

Dragon Reborn and
Crown of Swords

But I liked them all!

Rosie
Old 03-06-2003, 06:01 PM   #215
Arcala
Elven Warrior

I just finished Winter's heart, and it was pretty good, but I liked The Dragon Reborn best.
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #216
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Well, now I'm on Crossroads of Twilight. Anyone read it yet?
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:09 PM   #217
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
Actually, there are 10 of them. Hopefully there will only be two more so that it will be finished soon.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:15 AM   #218
elendili
Elven Warrior

I know there's the normal 10 books but what are "the two rivers " and "to the blight" books are they extended versions or something?

Amandil don't make me drag you through the screen and rip your head off. go away

Andrew Marvell
Old 04-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #219
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Grr, I was once arguing with a WoT lover, and they're like, "Well, women are more present in WoT than in LoTR"
and I'm like, "That's because LoTR Is fantasy that makes sense. LoTR was supposed to be an image of what Medieval times ACTUALLY WERE."

Then they're like, "Well, there are 10 huge books in the series. That's alot more writing than LoTR."
So I replied, "Wel, if Robert Jordan has to write 10 large books to match up to Tolkien's 3 in LoTR, then they can't be that good."

Then they're like, "Well, Robert Jordan make a language to go along with his books, and people search for weeks online to find more information about it!"
So I say, "Tolkien created 16 languages, and he wrote books finalizing his languages and making them ACTUAL LANGUAGES, not some made-up dribble."

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 12:00 AM   #220
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I believe I 'pwnd' him bad, if you know what I mean.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote