Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #201
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

blimey! The rpg has just broken the 10,000 views Legend!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #202
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nice post CS , don't disappear again, please. So you are still after the King, you, Skessa!
Looking forward to Val's reaction.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #203
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

And its had another 30 in the last 15 minutes.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #204
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

*puts on cowboy hat, WHOOOPEES and saddles up to go make it 31!*

(which reminds me, Doc has put out a rallying call in the Lyrders discussion thread ... a call to arms, noble rpg-ers all)

best BB
Old 12-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #205
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:

WAUUU!

Only "Lyrd" and "Sillymarillion" have more. We need 200 viewings more and we shall be first!

Congratulations, All!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #206
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

dum de dum ... *twiddles thumbs*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-05-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #207
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Give everybody a break please. Jesus, i've never seen a thread with more nitpickers than this one, good gravy. On the tiniest of details there must be some sort of Nit with a Pick.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-05-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #208
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"good gravey" ..now there's a mighty fine phrase!

though Shah .. you mispelled "gravy" - only kidding only kidding only kidding

*runs for the hills in fear*

Plague of nits swarming after him

very best, BB
Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #209
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Hahahaha! *gives chase up the hill alonside the plague of Nits, hefting a pick*
Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #210
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

btw, do you guys have any suggestions for another term for what Alagos was doing besides "wringing his hands"? That phrase makes me think of a bad Shakespearean actor, pacing up and down the stage overdramatically, but I couldn't think of another term. I just wanted to portray the preoccupied, nervous, uneasy thing that some people do with their hands when they're upset about something, and the only alternative I could come up with was "fiddled with his hands", which just didn't cut it. It's not this huge wringing motion, it's just kind of a preoccupied rubbing and slight wringing.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #211
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
btw, do you guys have any suggestions for another term for what Alagos was doing besides "wringing his hands"? That phrase makes me think of a bad Shakespearean actor, pacing up and down the stage overdramatically, but I couldn't think of another term. I just wanted to portray the preoccupied, nervous, uneasy thing that some people do with their hands when they're upset about something, and the only alternative I could come up with was "fiddled with his hands", which just didn't cut it. It's not this huge wringing motion, it's just kind of a preoccupied rubbing and slight wringing.
How about "biting his nails"?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #212
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, he's a bloke right?

maybe fiddling with something ...

not exactly shakespearian ... but ...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #213
Rían

(no, not biting nails, tho - don't want that)

*wrings her hands trying to think of the right term*

Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #214
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Thanks for putting in that line, altho I think it looks kinda awkward the way you bracketed it - it kind of breaks up the fluidness of the writing. But that's up to you.

yeah, i think Rian is right the brackett's with (Rian) do rather look odd ... it's a very good post, very alive and it does stop the flow by taking you out of the momment there ...

I look forward to more Viv and Alalgos scenes!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #215
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Give everybody a break please. Jesus, i've never seen a thread with more nitpickers than this one, good gravy. On the tiniest of details there must be some sort of Nit with a Pick.
WORD!!! It truly is something else! Nit pikkus dramaticus profundus. But, like Tony Soprano says, "whadda ya gonna do?"

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #216
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
yeah, i think Rian is right the brackett's with (Rian) do rather look odd ... it's a very good post, very alive and it does stop the flow by taking you out of the momment there ...

I look forward to more Viv and Alalgos scenes!
The post and the brackets stay as they are. Rian's writing is hers, and mine is mine. I added it in there for you, Rian, to please you, as you asked for, and I really don't see the big deal about "breaking up the flow" or whatever. It is a group project, and sometimes if one person's writing needs to be supplemented by another player's needs and writing, then by all means, it should be done, and I did. Rian, please don't nit-pick so. Listen, I loved your little Alagos intro, but at first I was kinda bothered and didn't all the way like how you portrayed viv as being the type to try and use tricks to get the attention of some elven man - SO incredibly non-Vivvian in every way, what with facts like !. she's not that type at all, 2. she's in LOVE with someone else anyway, so others, especially elves, don't strike her fancy, 3. she'd never resort to coy games and tricks and play helpless girlie-girl to get ANYone's attention - well, you get the idea hopefully. BUT, rather than make a big friggin' deal about it, or complain like everybody so dearly loves to do in this RPG, instead, I took what you'd written and responded, working WITH it, and kept my Viv in character the best I could after the horse-trick, and kept Alagos in character the best I could with what you've written about him thus far.

BB, et alia, It was just one encounter; Viv's not going to go seeking out the company of Elves - especially after, remember, she has witnessed how Rian's "peeps" treated Khamul that morning, AND because she's got no reason to, unless she needs to do a little counter-espionage for her family or something.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #217
Rían

Quote:
Rian, please don't nit-pick so.
Seriously, Lotesse, I don't see how I was nit-picking. Most of what you wrote for Alagos's words and thoughts I was unhappy with because I thought they were untrue to his character, but I let them slide, and only asked for one small edit, which is hardly out of the ordinary here!
Quote:
Listen, I loved your little Alagos intro, but at first I was kinda bothered and didn't all the way like how you portrayed viv as being the type to try and use tricks to get the attention of some elven man - SO incredibly non-Vivvian in every way, what with facts like !. she's not that type at all, 2. she's in LOVE with someone else anyway, so others, especially elves, don't strike her fancy, 3. she'd never resort to coy games and tricks and play helpless girlie-girl to get ANYone's attention - well, you get the idea hopefully. BUT, rather than make a big friggin' deal about it, or complain like everybody so dearly loves to do in this RPG, instead, I took what you'd written and responded, working WITH it, and kept my Viv in character the best I could after the horse-trick, and kept Alagos in character the best I could with what you've written about him thus far.
fer cryin' out loud, then why didn't you ask me to edit? I said right from the start that this was a draft post and asked for your input if you wanted me to edit! I wanted your input, so I could portray your character accurately. I asked you over and over for your input!

Listen, I'm really tired of this, and I'm sure you are too - shall we just delete all the posts involved? I did it only to please you, Lotesse - you were asking for people to post with Viv. My only motive in writing that post was to please you. Other people write posts and ask people involved if they want edits. I thought that was how we worked here, and I think it's a good plan. I thought a post with Alagos and Viv would please you, and when I wrote for Viv I asked for edits in order to please you. I meant well, but it's obvious you're not pleased; shall we just can the posts?

Quote:
BB, et alia, It was just one encounter; Viv's not going to go seeking out the company of Elves - especially after, remember, she has witnessed how Rian's "peeps" treated Khamul that morning, AND because she's got no reason to, unless she needs to do a little counter-espionage for her family or something.
No, you told me that she was curious about elves, and you were disappointed that I had never posted Rian and Viv together. So I did the post to please you, Lotesse. And frankly, I don't see Alagos doing what he did, but I actually changed his character a bit so I could make that post, thinking it would please you. But now it seems like it's nothing but trouble, so let's just delete the posts, shall we? I'll let you make the final decision, but I"m pretty tired of the whole thing, and it looks like you are, too. Shall we just delete the posts and forget it ever happened? That's what I would prefer at this point, but I'll leave it up to you. I don't want to lose the rpg over this.

EDIT - nevermind, my posts are gone now. I deleted them. It's abundantly clear that you don't like what I wrote for your character, and I only wrote it to please you, and you don't want to give me edits for Viv, so I killed the posts. They're gone. I have no interest in making your character something she's not. You felt that the post was "SO incredibly non-Vivvian in every way", so I deleted it.

Let's just keep the rpg going. No hard feelings - I wrote a post with your character thinking it would please you; it didn't; it's gone. All good?

Last edited by Rían : 12-06-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #218
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*grumble mumble....* Right, MOVING ON....Lotesse, what do you think i should add to the as yet unfinished Ray-Viv picnic thingy?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #219
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

On the 5-figure View Thingee... that's interesting. However, to REALLY get the low-down, do a search at the bottom of the page when you're in the RPG forum - sort "by number of views" in descending order, and be sure to go back "from the beginning" - not just 100 days. There is actually a Discussion Thread with 19K something - it has ~1500 posts. Our first three Discussion threads total ~ 21K posts. Time is what makes all the difference. This RPG has just exploded, I think. It's immensely popular, has a lot of in-built interest (I think the conflicting characters makes it difficult to operate, but also makes it VERY interesting - for us players and a few faithful readers). I think there are more players in this game than most. And... an interesting tidbit, look how MANY players are playing a character with their own username.

I hereby lay claim to "King Nit-picky!" Oh wait... make that "High King Nit-Picky!" (to be persnickety). *sigh* - playing with nit-picky players is the price the rest of you must pay for being in such a high-quality game. I ALMOST feel sorry for you... except that deep down inside I know that this will make you better players, better writers, better Tolkien Loremasters... and better people. And that makes me feel GOOD for all the rest of you!

Meanwhile, CS - thanks for showing up at the Red Herring. I was wondering when SOMEone was gonna join Val (FOGALs... someone come RESCUE me!!! )! So - the game gets right back to where it started... King Valandil and Lilly at the Red Herring! I don't know if the King would be inclined to chase much after her though... she IS sorta his good buddy's quasi-girlfriend, right? Say... thanks for picking up on that 'nazgulette' word!

Am I actually ahead of everyone and not holding up the game any longer? King Val is known to be sitting around at the RH until at least 8 or 9 pm... Oreturion has finished (from my end) his interview with Mahtaliel... I think I'm all good. Is anyone really holding up the game? Or do we just press on?

LSP - I don't know if we should have Ray and/or Marty go away on an errand or hunting trip or anything... they ARE in school, and even the King would respect that. He could send someone else. We can try to cover for you with them a bit. And hey - if not a lot happens, well... we are ALL subject to some rather uneventful days now and then, aren't we? Even consecutively?? (or CS... I hope Marty isn't sick... from something YOU gave him!!! )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #220
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Am I actually ahead of everyone and not holding up the game any longer?

No, Tyaron is cooling his heels in Tuesday evening, but he's by himself and can wait patiently.

my other characters - Alagos is playing the harp waiting for dinner, Rian is with Earniel having just received the left foot of fellowship out of the library *brushes off boot print from her shapely derriere* ... we're all fine for now. Maybe it's just time for bed - been a long day!

Did Val attend any classes, tho? If so, perhaps he can ruminate over his fellow-students as he relaxes with a drink at the Red Herring.

Last edited by Rían : 12-06-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Closed Thread