Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2005, 06:59 AM   #201
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I still think Snape may well be good. There are two reasons I have for this belief.

1# Theme. It would be a rather ugly twist to Harry Potter's theme to say, "trust is not good."

2# Dumbledore's reason. Dumbledore was certain of Snape's loyalty. Even the book characters noted that he seemed to have an "iron clad" reason for believing in Snape. J.K. Rowling did not make it at all clear what this reason was in Book 6. This implies it still is important, for J.K. Rowling exposes everything that isn't important at the end of her books. It's a logical and tidy way of doing things.
I agree. Another incident which made me doubt that he really had turned evil: the way he screams "No Harry!" while fleeing with the Death Eaters. Also, he stops them from killing Harry. Of course, the reason he gives is perfectly logical: Harry belongs to Voldemort. But why not capture him? Use Imperius? Either way I think there's more to it than wanting to spare him for the Dark Lord.

Quote:
I note with pleasure that at the end of book 6, the Dark Arts job at Hogwarts is once again vacant .

It seems to me that Voldemort may well be in quite a tight spot, in book 7. I believe Snape is probably still good. Wormtail also may turn on Voldemort. He's got the three Malfoys too squirming under his leadership.

Outside of his own ranks, he's got a mysterious R.A.B. messing with him as well as Harry, who may well be his most dangerous opponent left.
I've heard rumours about R.A.B being Sirius' brother, Regulus *something* Black, which at least partly fits the initials. Potter needs more training, much more, and this R.A.B., whether Sirius' brother or not, could be just the wizard he needs to complete it.

Quote:
It isn't looking too good for Voldemort, if you ask me. Though I note that his war against all goodness seemed to be working out brilliantly for him in book 6. The Death Eaters too seemed more challenging opponents then they were in book 5.

One thing I have some difficulty with in book 6 is an apparent contradiction in Snape's powers. James was able to clobber him in book 5. Three teenagers were able to beat him in book 3. However, we also see Snape as such a brilliant Occlumens that he can decieve either Dumbledore or Voldemort. Either deception would be an amazing feat. We also see Snape able to do those amazing things he did with his Potions book and Dark Arts spell making.

So I'm confused.
James and his gang were pretty talented wizards, and they outnumbered him 3-1 (or something). And the humiliation he suffered there may have urged him to become better. Also, I think there's a difference between being good at making spells (or potions), and being good at casting them.

Quote:
Harry is going to have to become a good Occlumens . He has to . I really am pleased that he's going to leave Hogwarts for book 7 and wander around hunting pieces of Voldemort. It's a good plot thread. I honestly expected the sort of thing that was happening in book 6 to happen in book 7. The school battle, Dumbledore's death, all that kind of thing. I thought it would all be in book 7. I'm very pleased to be wrong . J.K. Rowling also wrote Dumbledore's death very well, IMO.
Yeah, I'm also very excited about him leaving Hogwarts. We haven't seen much of the outside (wizarding-) world during the first 6 years (though heard a lot about it), and it will be interesting seeing Harry travelling on his own without anyone to protect him if he steps wrong, for once. It was necessary to kill off Dumbledor, to renew the story and keep it interesting.

About the Occlumens: was thinking the same thing. He should have done better last year.

Last edited by Falagar : 07-19-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:07 AM   #202
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
The one thing that kept itching at the back of my mind was, where is Dumbledore's mysterious brother? You'd think he'd have been at the funeral. And will he have a part to play in book 7? He WAS a Order member. Can't even remember his name...

It just seemed strange he didn't show up...and if he was dead it would have said right?
He was at the funeral, but not mentioned by name - on page 598 of the UK edition, among a long list of names it says there were "some people whom Harry knew merely by sight, such as the barman of the Hog's Head". It's just a brief reference because Harry still doesn't know he's Dumbledore's brother and therefore thinks he's not important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
I've heard rumours about R.A.B being Sirius' brother, Regulus *something* Black, which at least partly fits the initials. Potter needs more training, much more, and this R.A.B., whether Sirius' brother or not, could be just the wizard he needs to complete it.
Regulus is dead... or at least that's what everyone thinks. Perhaps he isn't really...

Quote:
One thing I have some difficulty with in book 6 is an apparent contradiction in Snape's powers. James was able to clobber him in book 5. Three teenagers were able to beat him in book 3. However, we also see Snape as such a brilliant Occlumens that he can decieve either Dumbledore or Voldemort. Either deception would be an amazing feat. We also see Snape able to do those amazing things he did with his Potions book and Dark Arts spell making.
I agree with Falagar about the difference between theory and practice in magic, and I also think we shouldn't see the end of Book 3 as a typical example of Snape's powers. He was under a lot of emotional pressure there which may have been clouding his magical performance. The same goes for the Pensieve scene in Book 5 - taken by surprise, outnumbered and scared, he still manages to produce some pretty dangerous spells. IMO, Snape is a powerful wizard who gets carried away in emotional situations.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-19-2005 at 09:51 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #203
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..I appreciate all the silver boxes, as I'm slowly reading the book and savoring each page.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #204
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I agree. Another incident which made me doubt that he really had turned evil: the way he screams "No Harry!" while fleeing with the Death Eaters. Also, he stops them from killing Harry. Of course, the reason he gives is perfectly logical: Harry belongs to Voldemort. But why not capture him? Use Imperius? Either way I think there's more to it than wanting to spare him for the Dark Lord.
Agreed. That reaction of Snape's to Harry's use of the Dark Arts is another reason why I think Harry may have to make a real decision concerning them in book 7. One can't deny that the Dark Arts are very effective combat spells.

Quote:
That would be great .

It would be wonderful, IMO, if book 7 could span more than one year. I know it would be stepping way outside of J.K. Rowling's normal practice,
but removing him from Hogwarts is already doing that, isn't it?
I'm not saying I think J.K. Rowling will do that. It would be neat, though .
It also would give more time to develop Harry's relationship with Ginny.

Another possibility is that J.K. Rowling's "power of love" may permit Harry to defeat Voldemort without the use of uber-enchantments. Dumbledore keeps saying "there are things worse than death." Dumbledore said that in the Hall of Mysteries there was a door that studied a strange power, which Harry had a great deal of. The prophecy also says, "he will have power the Dark Lord knows not". Love, sure, but perhaps actually useable in a practical sense? Lily's love was certainly useful to Harry in a practical way.
Quote:
James and his gang were pretty talented wizards, and they outnumbered him 3-1 (or something).
Yes, but James actually did it alone. Sirius was just watching, and Lupin sitting by a tree reading O.W.L. papers. James was very talented though, I agree.

Quote:
And the humiliation he suffered there may have urged him to become better. Also, I think there's a difference between being good at making spells (or potions), and being good at casting them.
Maybe. Though Snape certainly has shown that he's a good Occlumens.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm also very excited about him leaving Hogwarts. We haven't seen much of the outside (wizarding-) world during the first 6 years (though heard a lot about it), and it will be interesting seeing Harry travelling on his own without anyone to protect him if he steps wrong, for once. It was necessary to kill off Dumbledor, to renew the story and keep it interesting.

About the Occlumens: was thinking the same thing. He should have done better last year.
Harry has done pretty well on his own up to now, though. The escape from Voldemort in book 4 and the fight with the dementors in book 3 were entirely on his own. The support he got in the other fights still was just that- support. It enabled him to succeed, but it was still he that succeeded.

I wonder how many travelling companions Harry will end up having. If Ron and Hermione come, that's two. Kreacher and Dobby might come, especially if Hogwarts closes. Neville and Luna, the two most interested in the D.A. (Neville also plainly has plot left before him), may also wish to come. I don't know. It would be strange if Harry's "lone adventure" turned out to be him leading a small army.

I think Hogwarts will temporarily close, and it will probably reopen in the end of book 7. I also think Harry will become a teacher there. I cannot see him becoming an Auror, really. "Auror" would be a neat job, but he's way too angry with the Ministry right now, and by the end of book 7 he probably will be very tired of fighting.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-19-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #205
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i was just thinking on i think mercutios thing about snape an dumbledore having the polyjuice, wouldnt it have worn out during the funeral, and also, the r.a.b. is probably regulas because his name was mentioned quite a lot in book 6.
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #206
Mercutio

I highly highly doubt snape and dumbledore had switched places. Dumbledore was already in the portrait in his old office anyway. Everything points to a real death.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #207
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
But anyway, I think that there was a big clue in the horcrux that we saw. I assume everyone noticed it was cracked, but on the british edition of the childrens version there was a picture, with a lightning shaped crack. I think that Harry is the 6th Horcrux. This means he will have to kill himself to kill voldemort. After all, he's the only one who can do it? Why? Because Voldemort marked him. He chose him. He unintentionally created a Horcux when the spell went wrong, which is why Harry could see his thoughts. He's the only one who can do it because even if someone killed all the other parts of Voldemort, Harry living would mean Voldemort living. I don't think Voldie know this though. Or he wouldn't want to kill Harry, unless he wants his soul back
I've been working on the theory that Harry is the 6th Horcrux, too. What you've pointed out are exactly the points I arrived at on my own. Although I do wonder if Voldemort made Harry a Horcrux on purpose, which would tie into the point of "even if someone killed the rest of Voldemort, Harry living would mean Voldemort living". What better way to make sure that you keep on living than by putting part of your soul in the person who has the power to kill you? But something went wrong when he did it -- I guess Harry's "love" power got in the way somehow. Just my thoughts on it. But I bet Voldie knows Harry has part of his soul. Which leaves us with the question of "Why would Voldemort want to kill part of his own soul?" I think he would sacrifice it to be rid of the person who has the power to vanquish him. And he's just arrogant enough to think that no one would be able to track down and do away with all the other Horcruxes, so what big deal is 1/7th of his soul? One last thought on Voldemort's soul: It could also be Voldemort's part of Harry that made Harry feel like there was a snake inside him when Dumbledore looked at him in OoTP.

I'll have to see if I can find that picture of the known Horcrux to see the lightning-shaped crack. Was the picture at the beginning of the chapter in the British edition?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #208
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

also, that could explain harry beginning to use the dark arts more frequently, that is, him being a horcrux. . .
----------------
Old 07-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #209
King of The Istari
Elven Warrior

Location: Some where quite interesting with psychedelic trees
I think Harry being a horux would be an intresting speculation but I would.nt like it to be true, that would mean that the only way to defeat voldimort would be to kill himself and I don't think the death of the main character that you have been following over the course of seven novels will end the seies well enough, I would quite like to see a happy ending to the series, I think the four main character MUST survive:

the four being
  • Harry
  • Ron
  • Hermione
  • And Ginny
So that then Hermione and ron can get together: you can see from book six even id Harry can't see it that hermione really likes ron
and Harry and Ginny can get back together after Harry Has defeated Voldimort.

Harry could then become the new Defence against the dark arts teacher (the curse would be lifted now voldi was dead)
or if Mgonegal dies the new headmaster

Now that is my Idea of a good ending to the story Nothing unusual or unexpected, Just a nice ending to a very long and series of books that are close to my heart!

PS: I remember reading somewhere that JK would give harry a happy ending but who knows in the world of Harry Potter

PPS: You might think the killing off of harry at the end of the books is intresting NOW but if that really was the ending to the series in two years you will all probably be complaining about it and saying things like "JKR took the easy way out" etc

-crosses fingers for happy ending-

And what happened to the rest of your party, killed, eaten, gone home?
Beorn, The Hobbit

Dark and difficult Times lie ahead Harry, soon we must all face a choice, a choice between what is right and what is easy!
Dumbledore

Neo Are you listening to Me? Or are you too busy looking at the Woman in the Red Dress?
Morpheus, The Matrix
King of The Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #210
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes, harry would be a good teacher, he would have to forgo his dream of aurordom though, and i think harry should marry ginny, and hermione ron (eventually of course) so than theyd all be family, in a legal sense!
----------------
Old 07-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #211
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Khamul
I'll have to see if I can find that picture of the known Horcrux to see the lightning-shaped crack. Was the picture at the beginning of the chapter in the British edition
It's on the spine on the children's British edition. I only mention it as previously on the spine there was a big black dog (POA), which was important to that story. I can't recall what's on the others, and I can't recall if Harry particularly commented on the ring when he saw it. I think he noticed. But it seemed something small and perhapscould go unnoticed, yet turns out important.

I like the theory that DUmbledore and Snape switched, but it can't be true because Dumbledore would have regained his appearence once Snape died, and also, remember Barty Crouch had to keep Moody alive to keep making the potion. There was also the fact Fawkes left. I think Fawkes wouldn't have gone unless Dumbledore was really gone.

Dumbledore's portriat should act like all the others, so should be able to help. I'm uncertain of Snape's allegience, but think he's probbly still good, and deespite what Harry said (he knew Snape was trusted because he was sorry about James) I don't believe it. Dumbledore had a reason, a proper reason, and now I reckon the only way to see it is though memory. I also think that Harry can go in the pensieve and see more of Dumbledore's memories to understand more.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #212
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

well, fawkes could've left to follow dumbledore who looked like snape cause he went away with draco, and snape wouldnt have to be alive for the potion to work, they would just need him to make MORE of the potion.
----------------
Old 07-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #213
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
well, fawkes could've left to follow dumbledore who looked like snape cause he went away with draco, and snape wouldnt have to be alive for the potion to work, they would just need him to make MORE of the potion.
But I think he would. Because as soon as someone dies their spells stop working. So why would it be any different with potions? And if Dumbledore intends to pretend to be Snape then having Fawkes around would be a giveaway. True, Fawkes could jus be flying around somewhere. But there's also the fact that I don't think polyjuice potion would be enough to hoodwink Snape's unbreakable vow. Although I guess if they had switched Snape would be dead without fulfilling the vow, which would kill him anyway. I don't know. Like I said, I LIKE the theory, but I find it has more flaws than virtues.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #214
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i also like it though its probably not true, and like hedwig goes where harry goes, fawkes could be going to dumbledores next hideout, and, to merge science and magic, snapes hairs are still his dna even if he dies.

here's a new speculation, what if the "ironclad evidence" dumbledore had was an unbreakable vow, and snape took it to always do dumbledore's will. he then(supposing that above theory is false) had to kill dumbledore, again supposing that dumbledore was in fact pleading for snape to kill him, but snape didnt want to, and that was why he had a face of hatred.
----------------
Old 07-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #215
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
Although I do wonder if Voldemort made Harry a Horcrux on purpose, which would tie into the point of "even if someone killed the rest of Voldemort, Harry living would mean Voldemort living". What better way to make sure that you keep on living than by putting part of your soul in the person who has the power to kill you? But something went wrong when he did it -- I guess Harry's "love" power got in the way somehow. Just my thoughts on it.
Just ignore me. I'm an idiot. I quote from Chamber of Secrets:
Quote:
(Dumbledore) -"Unless I'm much mistaken, he transferred some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar. Not something he intended to do, I'm sure...."
"Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?" Harry said, thunderstruck.
"It certainly seems so."

--From the chapter "Dobby's Reward", right after Lockhart leaves Dumbledore's office
That puts an end to my theory that he did it on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
It's on the spine on the children's British edition. I only mention it as previously on the spine there was a big black dog (POA), which was important to that story. I can't recall what's on the others, and I can't recall if Harry particularly commented on the ring when he saw it. I think he noticed. But it seemed something small and perhapscould go unnoticed, yet turns out important.
All I have on the spine of my edition is green swirls. When Harry saw the ring on Dumbledore's hand in Slughorn's house, he noted that it was cracked down the middle, but no mention was made of the pattern of the crack. I think he sees it later in Dumbledore's office, but I'll have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Istari
I think Harry being a horux would be an intresting speculation but I would.nt like it to be true, that would mean that the only way to defeat voldimort would be to kill himself and I don't think the death of the main character that you have been following over the course of seven novels will end the seies well enough, I would quite like to see a happy ending to the series, I think the four main character MUST survive:
As much of a happy ending as that would be, I don't see it happening. It often happens in literature that the hero doesn't make it. Look at two of the oldest pieces of literature that we have: The Iliad and Beowulf. Hector, the protector and hero of the Trojans, is killed. Beowulf, after defeating Grendel and his mother, is mortally wounded in a fight with a dragon. Ever see the movie Gladiator? I have no problem with a hero making the ultimate sacrifice for what they believe in.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #216
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Regulus is dead... or at least that's what everyone thinks. Perhaps he isn't really...
He'd have to be, wouldn't he, to get away from the DE's.

Quote:
Yes, but James actually did it alone. Sirius was just watching, and Lupin sitting by a tree reading O.W.L. papers. James was very talented though, I agree.
Of course, but then there wouldn't be much point for Snape to resist, as James' friends were standing around watching.

Quote:
Harry has done pretty well on his own up to now, though. The escape from Voldemort in book 4 and the fight with the dementors in book 3 were entirely on his own. The support he got in the other fights still was just that- support. It enabled him to succeed, but it was still he that succeeded.
Yes, but each time he has had someone to go to, someone to heal him and explain things to him when he comes around again, and someone to shelter him from Voldemort to make further attempts. Now he's alone, neither him nor any of his friends would be able/expected to have any chance against Voldemort.

Quote:
I think Hogwarts will temporarily close, and it will probably reopen in the end of book 7. I also think Harry will become a teacher there. I cannot see him becoming an Auror, really. "Auror" would be a neat job, but he's way too angry with the Ministry right now, and by the end of book 7 he probably will be very tired of fighting.[/spoiler]
How does "Harry Potter, the youngest man to ever become Headmaster of Galtwort" sound? Either that or death, me thinks.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #217
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
I've been working on the theory that Harry is the 6th Horcrux, too. What you've pointed out are exactly the points I arrived at on my own. Although I do wonder if Voldemort made Harry a Horcrux on purpose, which would tie into the point of "even if someone killed the rest of Voldemort, Harry living would mean Voldemort living". What better way to make sure that you keep on living than by putting part of your soul in the person who has the power to kill you? But something went wrong when he did it -- I guess Harry's "love" power got in the way somehow. Just my thoughts on it. But I bet Voldie knows Harry has part of his soul. Which leaves us with the question of "Why would Voldemort want to kill part of his own soul?" I think he would sacrifice it to be rid of the person who has the power to vanquish him. And he's just arrogant enough to think that no one would be able to track down and do away with all the other Horcruxes, so what big deal is 1/7th of his soul? One last thought on Voldemort's soul: It could also be Voldemort's part of Harry that made Harry feel like there was a snake inside him when Dumbledore looked at him in OoTP.

I'll have to see if I can find that picture of the known Horcrux to see the lightning-shaped crack. Was the picture at the beginning of the chapter in the British edition?
that would make sense in a way, but that would mean harry couldnt finish Voldemort because Harry would have to die before Voldemort, i guess Harry could let Voldemort kill him because he had to and then let someone else finish off Voldemort, but i dunno, could happen i guess...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #218
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Well... I've read a lot of the reactions to and thoughts on the book, but I'm going to post this now and finish reading all your thoughts after.
Firstly, I loved the book. It's definitely taken the title of my second favourite HP book, after PoA.
Secondly, there was a one thing that I really stood out as something that I didn't like: Though it was title Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the revealing of the Prince's identity was completely anti-climactic. I think that the reveal should have been a bit more exciting, but because of all of the other stuff going on, it was kind of just tossed aside.
And I wonder,
how did the Marauders get ahold of the spells created by Snape to use them against him?

I might post more thoughts later, but I'm off for now.
Rûdhaglarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #219
azalea
Long lost mooter

It's annoying to have to spoiler everything, and even more to have to highlight entire lengthy posts to read them. Can't we just create a different thread, or split this one, so that one can be titled *SPOILERS INCLUDED*?

There is no doubt in my mind that Snape is on the side of good. He was following Dumbledore's orders in killing him. Dumbledore knew it was time, he didn't fear death, he was in pain. His mercy toward Draco was the sacrifice of his own life to save Draco and Snape both, as well as allow Harry to go forth on his path.

Snape and Dumbledore had argued -- Snape didn't want to do it, as Hagrid overheard. We witnessed an intense scene during the quest for the horcrux, wherein Harry is ordered to force an evil liquid down Dumbledore's throat, and use any means to do so. As I said on another site -- what would you have thought if that was the ONLY part you saw? Harry lying to Dumbledore and making him drink that? If you and I didn't know any better, we'd think he was committing an evil act. But he was simply being loyal and following D'dore's orders. Snape was, too.

azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:17 AM   #220
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
that would make sense in a way, but that would mean harry couldnt finish Voldemort because Harry would have to die before Voldemort, i guess Harry could let Voldemort kill him because he had to and then let someone else finish off Voldemort, but i dunno, could happen i guess...
One possible way it could happen: Both Harry and Voldemort realize that Harry has a part of Voldie's soul as an unintentional Horcrux. Harry manages to fatally wound Voldemort's body, but Voldemort just laughs because he knows that he has other Horcruxes and that he will stay alive because Harry himself has 1/7th of his soul. Then Harry tells Voldemort that he's destroyed all the other Horcruxes, and right before Voldemort's body dies, Harry sacrifices himself. That would take care of all of Voldemort's soul and also make it so that Harry doesn't make it. That's how I'd do it, but then again I'm not J.K. Rowling and we're not even sure that Harry is in fact a Horcrux.