Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #181
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Back to good old Perelandra again. I love that book so very much.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #182
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Back to good old Perelandra again. I love that book so very much.
My least favorite of the Space Trilogy- though still good! Too much description and talking about theology- all well in its place, but a trifle didactic.

Two points-

The first- in A.N. Wilson's biography, there's a horrendous scene where Jane Moore's brother collapses on Lewis's floor, being driven insane (by syphillis IIRC- he died shortly after), where he describes what he is feeling in terms remarkably similar to Weston's - sinking down through the skin of life to Hell, begging for more life to postpone it- though Wilson doesn't make the connection.

The second- in "The Problem of Pain" Lewis attempts to justify natural evil by saying it is inherent in our world, using the example of banging into a corner of a table- tables must be hard, corners must be sharp, our bodies need warnings of damage- that led me to wonder if he created Perelandra precisely as a place where there were no hard edges- and no earthquakes, volcanoes, fires etc.

I can't remember- there certainly were natural evils in Malacandra; were there any in Perelandra?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 06-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #183
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Being largely cut off from science fiction ( small non-English-speaking town, even bookstores in big cities here are crap, shipping costs are horrendous) I was delighted when, asked to take over some classes for the summer, I found an entire shelf of SF. The guy I was substituting for explained they were left behind by some Americans who had been working here.

As it turned out, they were ex-US Air Force/Navy types working as contractors on radar installations at the local Air Force base.

Nice guys- I knew most of them- but unfortunately their taste ran to the "mil-sf" of Jerry Pournelle and his followers, so the blurbs were like

"While the ever-ravaging Grakshnickzzx hordes swallowed system after system, the spineless bureaucrats on Earth tried haplessly to appease them- it took Dreck Dranigan and his battle-hardened crew of space mercenaries to show the only way to negotiate with a Grak was with the business end of a blaster!!!"

Still, got some Larry Niven and Anne McCaffrey out of it, so it's better than nothing

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 07-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #184
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Recently went on a small book-buying spree on the internet and bought a couple of books from the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. His death earlier this year reminded me that I had one of his books for years and had enjoyed it much but hadn't been able to find any other books of the series. Since then I discovered the internetbook market so I went for it.

I bought and read Martin the Warrior, Mossflower and Salamandastron. I'm loving them as much as I did the first book. I suspect that before the year is out, there will be even more Redwall finding a new home on my bookshelf.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #185
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
I just finished reading "The Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins. It was very good, highly recommend.
Just finished Book 1; very very good- have to run down to the library for the next two.

Also Pride and Prejudice and Zombies- not so good; the author doesn't really understand the Austen style and instead gives it a modern pop culture feeling.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #186
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2 View Post
Over this past weekend, I read The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. So glad I got all three at once and could read through to the end. Once I started, I didn't want to stop.
Me too! Though I don't know if our weekends coincide . There hasn't been a book since LotR that I literally couldn't set down-if you haven't read them, do before the movie premiere. They are no less than brilliant, and not at all fruity.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #187
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Hunger Games and Catching Fire were excellent.

Mockingjay was not too bad. The last third or so of the book felt rushed to me. I did not like the ending. I did not like what happened to some characters.
I also had some trouble imagining what was happening when they were traveling in the capital city.

A more detailed review by me was done at the parchment girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Me too! Though I don't know if our weekends coincide . There hasn't been a book since LotR that I literally couldn't set down-if you haven't read them, do before the movie premiere. They are no less than brilliant, and not at all fruity.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #188
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I started The Hunger Games this week. It's hard to put down.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #189
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I started The Hunger Games this week. It's hard to put down.
I agree. It was a page turner for me. I finished the trilogy over a weekend.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #190
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Finally finished the last two- "Mockingjay" was a bit of a letdown- I agree with Mithrandir that the end was a bit rushed- one of the few series that could have benfited by a longer treatment.

Also, in the first half she seemed a bit whiney and self-centered, considering that there was a war on and what everyone else had been suffering.

Spoiler ( do we have a spoiler function?)

The malevolence of President Coin felt under-motivated. Sure, she wanted to keep power but it could have been developed more- "We suffered more than you guys all these years" or something like that; maybe "fighting the Capital turns you into the Capital".

Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #191
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes, we do have a spoiler code: [spoiler]secrit info[/spoiler]
Old 03-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #192
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Yes, we do have a spoiler code: [spoiler]secrit info[/spoiler]
Hmmm, let me run through that again....

Thanks muchly.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #193
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I'm reading "The Hunger Games" now - I'm about half way through the first one, and I like it so far. I need to go to the library to find the other two.

I'm also planning to see the movie when it comes out.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #194
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Interesting article about the marketing of "The Hunger Games" before it was even published, showing that 'marketing' is not necessarily a bad word.

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/18/the_...a_blockbuster/

Last edited by GrayMouser : 03-18-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #195
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

What worried me most about the movie, was that they might make it into a gore-fest and disregard the author's message. But now I've read that the author is heavily involved in the script-writing and even other parts of the production, so now my hopes are up for a good movie.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #196
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
What worried me most about the movie, was that they might make it into a gore-fest and disregard the author's message. But now I've read that the author is heavily involved in the script-writing and even other parts of the production, so now my hopes are up for a good movie.
Yeah... in terms of the gore represented in the movie.. it was actually mild. (Though maybe I'm just desensitized to gore by now?) Anyway... I thought the amount of gore was appropriate. I had some other issues with the movie, but in general the message was intact!

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #197
Logkhya
Hobbit

I want to read Dragonlance when I am free
Logkhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #198
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I am reading the second book of the Stormlord trilogy by Glenda Larke. It is quite good. Check it out. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #199
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'm reading The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling. The style is very different from LotR but I love it nonetheless, the characters and the story are very enthralling.

As a matter of fact I already read the complete series already but the books are very addictive, so I started with book 1 again right after finishing book 6.
I also want to read Flewelling's other series, the Tamir Triad but I can't seem to bring myself to say goodbye to the characters of the Nightrunner Series yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #200
katya
Elven Maiden

I recently finished the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. OMG I loved it. It was, in my opinion, very intelligently written, cheesy plot-driven fantasy. Awesome characters, very believable with lots of strong women role models (strong in lots of ways, not just Eowyn-type strength).