Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #181
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Just finished reading Book11 and it was amazing! But there's something I don't get. RJ said that this book will reveal that something done earlier in the series will have terrible consequences; what is that? I didn't find anything of the sort in the book
Hm. I didn't know he said that. But there's alot of small things and twists in this books, as you surely know. My friend reads alot from wotmania.com, and he tells me some of the ideas and speculations. And there's this tiny thing from book 2, which can be linked to Knife of Dreams, which don't interests you at all when you read it.

And book 12 must be HUGE. With all the stuff which has to happen before Tarmon Gaidon can start, then the battle, and the finish... He might chop it up in parts..
Old 02-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #182
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Midway through Fires of Heaven...liking it so far...although that scene with Aviendha somewhat put me off a little...I guess even the Car'Caran has weaknesses.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #183
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Three quarters through Hunt. Libary had it afterall. I can't seem to put the book down, which results in me being late to work half the time Rand seems to keep getting himself into quite some predictements, doesn't he.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #184
Curubethion

Oh, just you wait.
The end of Hunt is very awesome...tons better than Eye.
Here's a philosophical question for everyone to ponder...if two people hit each other with balefire at the same time, what would happen? Would they both be unaffected, or would they both be destroyed?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 03-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #185
Acalewia

*Ponders* Depends of who was the quickest or more powerful

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #186
Curubethion

Realists. Grr.
LONG LIVE THEORETICAL PHILOSOPHY!
I asked my friend (who is a WOT maniac) about this, and he was of the opinion that they would never have fired when all was said and done. Which is wierd to think about...I still am not sure myself about it.
Another philosophical question...what would happen if you shot yourself with balefire?
(As you can tell, I have a small obsession with balefire... But it's so cool!)
BTW...finished Fires of Heaven, nice battle at the end (RAAAHVIN!!!) and I'm at about chapter ten of Lord of Chaos. (What is it with Aes Sedai bonding people as warders, anyway?)
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #187
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Oh, well, great hopes, but....

Finished the "winter" book (whatever the title was) and the crossraods of twilight, and you know what? Jordan can KEEP his series. I won;t even be picking up Knife of Dreams.

What a LOAD of crap! Guy rambles on for forty pages on some side-thread of the story, and then devotes three or four pages to the climax of his books.

Folks, this must be a parallax to the "commercial sell-out" theory of why most rock bands start out with a great first one or two albums, then start to produce totally crapped-out mediocrity.

TOR's editors must be pretty dim. This entire series could have been compressed into maybe four books, but hey, get the public hooked on release after release and it's BIG BUCKS.

Well, I ain't buying the hardback version of KoD, and frankly, I'd like my eight-bucks-a-pop back for the other ten books I bought (eighty bucks plus tax plus gas to get to the bleeding store), and would even ask for my wasted time back, but, hey, that's Life.

Jordan simply went to the well too many times, and his editors allowed him to ramble himself into pedanticy. After maybe book seven, the story became dull, dull, dull, and it became more of a chore to read than an enjoyment. I found myself skimming through scores of pages to get the ball rolling again.

This series strikes me, now, as a series of missed opportunities, and for those waiting for Tarmon Gaidon (or whatever), get ready for seven hundred pages of Rand whining, nine hundred pages of Elayne wingeing in succession, four hundred pages of Mat playing dice in his head and riding in a circus wagon, three hundred seventy two pages of Wolfboy waking through static camps telling everyone not to call him Lord, six hundred ninety nine pages of forty-seven different Aes Sedai wandering the halls of Tar Valon suspecting each other, fifty-six pages of Brigitte changing her clothes, three hundred fifty nine pages of the Waveriders getting all pissed off, and another interminable fifteen hundred eight eight pages of Rand running from responsibility and generally acting like a reluctant schoolboy before showing up, thirty-seven books later, for a two and a half page standoff with the Dark Lord beyond The Blight, where he will predictably be destroyed when the Dark Lord appears in a dress and bad makeup acreeching about PMS and uncaring men.

Jordan? Overrated. His books? Overpriced, overwritten, and for me, simply OVER.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #188
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Oh, just you wait.
The end of Hunt is very awesome...tons better than Eye.
Here's a philosophical question for everyone to ponder...if two people hit each other with balefire at the same time, what would happen? Would they both be unaffected, or would they both be destroyed?
Oooh. Interesting. As soon as you get hit, the fact that you just sent out your own balefile would be negated, so it would be as if it had never happened.

I'm guessing this is how the serious tearing of the world might happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Another philosophical question...what would happen if you shot yourself with balefire?
You'd be bloody stupid and deserve whatever happens to you.

Though, that would probably be nothing.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #189
Curubethion

True, but then wouldn't the balefire be negated, so that it wouldn't burn those threads out of the pattern? Which would mean that both balefires got fired anyway, which would in turn negate both, which would...
Does that make any sense?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #190
Acalewia

You just confussed me
I started Dragon Reborn. I do wish Rand would drop the "i'm just a shepard from the Two Rivers" stance. Its more like "I'm a shepard who just happened to be born on Dragonmount and will end up breaking the world.... Again" j/k.
The Horn was pretty cool i think. This makes me want to slap the Whitecloaks for being soooo stupid and thinking "our way is the only way and if you don't agree then your a Darkfriend and we'll hand you over to the Questioners to get a confession so you can walk in the Light once more"
I'm glad Jorden revealed who "Bors" is and I think Ive guessed at least one Black Ajah. Curub, don't spoil it for if you can resist
I know who Ordeth is

Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #191
Curubethion

I think the Hunt has by far one of the most awesome battles ever. Dragon Reborn, I think you'll like, although its battle isn't as exciting. Very important, though...
Lord of Chaos was very good! I loved Dumai's Wells...
In addition, I'm working on a summary...
Going going going going Shadar Logoth going going going going Whitecloaks going going going Tar Valon politics politics politics politics balefire politics Callandor politics politics politics Aiel politics politics politics I hate wolves politics politics Crossroads of Twilight....umm...umm... politics politics Tarmon Gai'don politics balefire...oh wait, it's over...dang.
It's really funny if you read it out loud.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #192
Acalewia

roflmao! Ow! I hit the chair!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #193
Acalewia

Check this out
Which Wheel of Time Character are You?
I got:

You are Rand al'Thor, the most powerful man in the world. 'Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain'. You are the prophesied
Dragon Reborn
, fated to battle the Dark One in Tarmon Gai'don before going mad from the taint of channeling saidin and breaking the world once more. Fortunately, or unfortunately, there are three women in love with you, and you get them all.

Funny I think. I retook it playing around with unsure answers and I also got Lan.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #194
Curubethion

Hey, sweet. I got Lan too!
There's a better one, though...
http://www.wotmania.com/personalitytest.asp
On that one, I got Logain, and they said Birgitte would be my ideal date. Who knew?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #195
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Important note from Jordan:
http://www.tor.com/jordan/
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #196
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
Important note from Jordan:
http://www.tor.com/jordan/
I heard that from a friend, some days ago. As long as he writes "A Memory of Light", it's okay
Old 03-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #197
Curubethion

Oh yeah, I heard that on another forum! Wow...
It would be interesting if it "Memory of Light" was literally the last thing he wrote. Even morbidly funny...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #198
Acalewia

That test Curub posted said I was most like Birgitte. and my perfect match is Elyas. Funny that my perfect match is a Wolfbrother

Old 04-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #199
Daisy Baggins
Hobbit

It's really sad about Robert Jordan having a serious disease. I hope they find some way to help him. At least, he seems upbeat about everything.
Daisy Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #200
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Although I've been sorely disappointed with the later books in his Wheel of Time series, it certainly saddens me to learn that Mr. Jordan is suffering from this blood-borne disease. I surely wish him well, and good luck in his fight to cling to this mortal coil. Life is a fragile thing, even though this tenuous fragility may be missed by many of those with few years under their belt.

Remember well: Live every day like it is your last.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote